October 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,396 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Just had a quick look at the google doc for the miles for Kevin (MobyCarp) runs.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1u1kakszOV9CNZ6ONIzsQjF2Oq8lgpOZh/edit#gid=1527975205

As it stands, from what I can make out (I suck at spreadsheets lol) if we moved the start back an hour and start the 24 hour period at 6pm EST, we would still have 8 hours to cover to make the full 24. Anyone able to take any of those slots?

I started a thread an taged you . I'm running short on time this morning and on mobile so I don't have the link to the new thread. It's in the group challenges thread. Sorry I'm lazy...

Here is the link to the Run for Kevin (@MobyCarp) that @elise4270 created. If it works better I can adjust the spreadsheet fo start at 6pm eastern but we already have people in slots at either end so maybe we just extend it a bit or make it a 36 or 48 hour period?
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I'll be in Mexico on that day, but am def going to try to get a run in on that day - I'll add my name to the spreadsheet
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    10-1 7k slow
    10-2 7k easy
    10-3 rest
    10-4 rest
    10-5 7k moderate
    10-6 7k easy
    10-7 rest

October Total: 28k
    October Goal: 135k

January Total: 131k
    February Total: 159.5k
    March Total: 183k
    April Total: 126k
    May Total: 128k
    June Total: 161.5k
    July Total: 151k
    August Total: 133k
    September Total: 135k

2019 total: 1,308k / 811m

Monthly average: 145.3k

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?
    Run at least 4 5k races. Completed 8-31
    Get under 30:00 and a PR for 5k.
    Average at least 135k per month, which would put me over 1,000 miles for the year.

Run the Year Team: Five for Nineteen - Completed 9-28

Scheduled rest day today. Golf instead of running.

@143tob Great race. That's why one should slink around early before the race to see who the competition is.

@Squish815 Fantastic!!!

2019 Races:

4-13 Shine the Light 5K - 31:12 chip time; First Place male 65 and older
    6-30 Strides for Starfish 5K - 31:34 chip time; 31/77 overall; second male 65 and older (no official category)
    7-27 Solon Home Days 5K - 31:11 chip time; 95/141 overall; 4/6 age group (male)
    8-31 Race for Freedom 5k - 31:39 chip time; 32:00 Garmin time; Third Place male 60 and older
    9-14 Gift of Life 5k - off the schedule; insufficient recovery time
    10-13 Haunted Hustle 5k
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options

I'm also doing a race (marathon) in eastern time zone (WV) starting at 7am, so that is why I filled up 5 hours. I'm sure many of us are doing a morning race that day on the same day as the New York Marathon.

Looks like it, and that's super! The reason I suggested that date was that he had said that the New York Marathon was his main goal for this year. Obviously, most if not all of us are unable to go run it for him, but the next best thing surely is for as many of us as possible to race in his memory that day. I'm pretty sure there will be at least 4 or 5 of us racing that day somewhere in the world.
    My head says to take my HM that day easy, but my heart really wants to go for a PR and dedicate it to him.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options

I'm also doing a race (marathon) in eastern time zone (WV) starting at 7am, so that is why I filled up 5 hours. I'm sure many of us are doing a morning race that day on the same day as the New York Marathon.

Looks like it, and that's super! The reason I suggested that date was that he had said that the New York Marathon was his main goal for this year. Obviously, most if not all of us are unable to go run it for him, but the next best thing surely is for as many of us as possible to race in his memory that day. I'm pretty sure there will be at least 4 or 5 of us racing that day somewhere in the world.
    My head says to take my HM that day easy, but my heart really wants to go for a PR and dedicate it to him.

I signed up for an hour's worth...
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Just had a quick look at the google doc for the miles for Kevin (MobyCarp) runs.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1u1kakszOV9CNZ6ONIzsQjF2Oq8lgpOZh/edit#gid=1527975205

As it stands, from what I can make out (I suck at spreadsheets lol) if we moved the start back an hour and start the 24 hour period at 6pm EST, we would still have 8 hours to cover to make the full 24. Anyone able to take any of those slots?

I started a thread an taged you . I'm running short on time this morning and on mobile so I don't have the link to the new thread. It's in the group challenges thread. Sorry I'm lazy...

Here is the link to the Run for Kevin (@MobyCarp) that @elise4270 created. If it works better I can adjust the spreadsheet fo start at 6pm eastern but we already have people in slots at either end so maybe we just extend it a bit or make it a 36 or 48 hour period?

Ya, no reason it can’t turn into “how long can we keep it going?”
  • Squish815
    Squish815 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thank you @kgirlhart , @zeesparrow , @Scott6255 , @hamsterwheel6 and @Tramboman

And thank you @quilteryoyo ! I was just so happy to a) see the finish line and b) see that my family had been able to make it!

Thanks for the link @shanaber I'm going to head over to the challenge and see if I can take any of the slots. I'm not sure what I'm doing that weekend, but I should be able to get at least half hour in in honour of @MobyCarp
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @Squish815 Great job!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @T1DCarnivoreRunner I don't believe there's any way to get Alexa to do anything if the phone is locked. And ok google once told me it couldn't do any commands with Stitcher since it's not it's app. I also don't know of a way to open my phone by voice. But I haven't looked into that before.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @T1DCarnivoreRunner I don't believe there's any way to get Alexa to do anything if the phone is locked. And ok google once told me it couldn't do any commands with Stitcher since it's not it's app. I also don't know of a way to open my phone by voice. But I haven't looked into that before.

I agree about not getting Alexa to do anything with the phone locked... but it shouldn't be locked anyway. The whole point of Smartlock is to keep the phone unlocked when headphones are paired, so why should I have to swipe to unlock?! I can use Google voice commands to unlock the phone (when it is supposed to be unlocked anyway), but can't do anything besides give Google commands. IDK... I'm annoyed, so I might just find an Android forum to ask.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

I agree about not getting Alexa to do anything with the phone locked... but it shouldn't be locked anyway. The whole point of Smartlock is to keep the phone unlocked when headphones are paired, so why should I have to swipe to unlock?! I can use Google voice commands to unlock the phone (when it is supposed to be unlocked anyway), but can't do anything besides give Google commands. IDK... I'm annoyed, so I might just find an Android forum to ask.

So I do not have an Andriod device, but I assume this is the same... with my iPhone I do not have to unlock my phone to control Amazon music, I can use the buttons on my headset. Granted all I do is play/pause/volume, but beyond that, there are more buttons.

Personally I have too much of my life tied up in my phone to leave it unlocked ever.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

So I do not have an Andriod device, but I assume this is the same... with my iPhone I do not have to unlock my phone to control Amazon music, I can use the buttons on my headset. Granted all I do is play/pause/volume, but beyond that, there are more buttons.

Personally I have too much of my life tied up in my phone to leave it unlocked ever.

I can control some things with the buttons on my headset... but I can do so much more if Alexa can hear me.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    SOOO I think my fitness coach works for Candid Camera (for non-USAians - a show that sets people up for practical jokes and films it, but safe fun ones, not mean)! She added an exercise called the "Stability Ball Dead Bug" in for me to do today.

I mean, I thought I had SOME level of coordination until I tried this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUfeEgFly8w

:o
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,007 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    @Teresa502 Where are you racing on Nov 3? I don't think I'm ready for a 10 mile run, but still interested, since I live in E. TN. As for the rain, we got a total of about a half an inch. Every drop is appreciated and will help, but we need a lot more to alleviate the drought. They were calling for more tonight. Hope we get some. Dad's been feeding his cattle hay for a couple of weeks now....maybe longer. The little stream that runs through my property is almost dry, which NEVER happens. That was the main reason for the urgency in getting them moved.

@hamsterwheel6 Love the pictures and your shirt!

@MegaMooseEsq Sounds like a great, exhausting race! Loved the report. Except, you forgot to let us know what your finish time was. Sounds like it was probably better than expected! WTG!

@PastorVincent I can see how that could go wrong really quickly!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    @hamsterwheel6 @RunsOnEspresso @PastorVincent
    I started a thread here to see if someone smart can help solve my issue with Android lock screen and Amazon Music: https://androidforums.com/threads/how-to-turn-off-swipe.1314741/