Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,202 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Just some thoughts from today's power outage
    Emergency Preparation, FINAL bit

Of course do all the things on any emergency preparation list, but when your go bag is ready, and you have a plan, now it’s time for that emergency – depending on the nature of the emergency you may have some notice, possibly just a few minutes; if that’s the case don’t read this. But if you are waiting on evacuation orders, or maybe it’s a small neighborhood power outage, now what?

So realize your house phone will not work unless it is a corded phone and is a true land line, not provided via your TV/internet cable. You can verify this by turning the power off to your home and try a corded phone plugged right into the phone jack on the wall, if you have service you’re good to go. Depending on the type and size of the emergency you may want to use that land line and not drain your phone’s battery. Call the folks you need to telling them your plan where you are headed and how to contact you, make this short and simple as everyone else in your area wants to make calls and the system; believe it or not; can get log jammed.

I made a list of things I could do without power- and sorted them into needs daylight or needs limited light - a couple of the things on my needs daylight list were weed the side yard, dust the house and get rid of cobwebs inside and out. On my limited light list was address Christmas cards, and strip the dried lavender off the stems. My first reaction to no power was but I had so much I wanted to do that won’t get done, that was true but the side yard is completely weeded and I am so happy looking out the window seeing that it got done. Depending on your list the limited light items might be good for while watching a movie or TV show too.

The other thing I did was walk the house moving things that are on the floor to leave as much open space as possible, it will be easier to SAFELY walk around in the pitch black if there are no tripping hazards. I also put a battery powered candle in each bathroom. They are not a lot of light but just enough to help you get/keep your bearings.

If you have power strips between your electronic devices and the wall outlet (which you should) be sure to turn the power strip off.

This is not a complete list but was what I came up with during our 2.5 hour power outage today

Of course do all the things on any emergency preparation list, but when your go bag is ready, and you have a plan, now it’s time for that emergency – depending on the nature of the emergency you may have some notice, possibly just a few minutes; if that’s the case don’t read this. But if you are waiting on evacuation orders, or maybe it’s a small neighborhood power outage, now what?

So realize your house phone will not work unless it is a corded phone and is a true land line, not provided via your TV/internet cable. You can verify this by turning the power off to your home and try a corded phone plugged right into the phone jack on the wall, if you have service you’re good to go. Depending on the type and size of the emergency you may want to use that land line and not drain your phone’s battery. Call the folks you need to telling them your plan where you are headed and how to contact you, make this short and simple as everyone else in your area wants to make calls and the system; believe it or not; can get log jammed.

I made a list of things I could do without power- and sorted them into needs daylight or needs limited light - a couple of the things on my needs daylight list were weed the side yard, dust the house and get rid of cobwebs inside and out. On my limited light list was address Christmas cards, and strip the dried lavender off the stems. My first reaction to no power was but I had so much I wanted to do that won’t get done, that was true but the side yard is completely weeded and I am so happy looking out the window seeing that it got done. Depending on your list the limited light items might be good for while watching a movie or TV show too.

The other thing I did was walk the house moving things that are on the floor to leave as much open space as possible, it will be easier to SAFELY walk around in the pitch black if there are no tripping hazards. I also put a battery powered candle in each bathroom. They are not a lot of light but just enough to help you get/keep your bearings.

If you have power strips between your electronic devices and the wall outlet (which you should) be sure to turn the power strip off.

This is not a complete list but was what I came up with during our 2.5 hour power outage today

The thing I'm wondering is this ... how do students cope with power outages? Do the schools and universities give extra time to do assignments etc.?

We've had to clear walking space all around our home and yard because of my husband's situation ... both the brain injury and the epilepsy it triggered. I've also moved several "breakables" to other surfaces so that if he fell, he wouldn't end up in a pile of broken glass. I may do more of that over the summer as well.

Just wondering about watching movies and TV shows when the power is out??

I have a collection of little battery-powered LED lights in different places. A whole bunch of them are in my closets and cupboards to help me find my clothes ... the light in our dressing room isn't very good. I've got some on short wires in vases on my table which would give a pleasant glow. I took this photo a few months ago and I have more now. I used to have a few LEDs that were bright enough to read by, and may need to get them again.

n1qxh5kpwp2h.png

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    I never did well on tests or exams as a student and I hated the whole school environment I did everything I could to get out of doing until I finally quit before starting grade 11. Since that time have gone back and taken my GED in the states where it was the imperial system in math compared to the metric system I had learned in Canada and passed it all with 95% and above. I then took a general accounting and computer course and again passed it all. I think the atmosphere in adult education was more geared towards my learning methods. I can’t speak to the States but here in Canada I think the education system needs a revamp.
    Tracey in Edmonton

I liked school but did very poorly in math, physics, and chemistry. I just passed the first two, and ended up dropping chem ... and my math teacher told me that I should never go into any sort of career that involved math because I was so bad at it.

For years I believed him.

Then one day I enrolled in an engineering tech course and wanted to go with the architectural drafting choice, but when I got going in it, I passed my math courses with 100% and passed my physics courses with something in the 90s and discovered that I really enjoyed machine drafting ... drawing machinery which is quite mathematical with trigonometry etc. I got a temporary job in that field, and when it ended I went back to school to get my Business Administration majoring in Accounting. I did well with that and really enjoyed it too. Got a job back at the manufacturing place I had worked before, and started taking Software Development in the evenings.

So apparently, I'm not that bad at math after all. Given that I've done very well in mathematical courses since high school, in several different areas, I'd have to guess it was the teacher and not me!!

I think schools should teach a lot more practical math. When I could see why I was doing the math, it had a lot more meaning for me.

Machka in Oz
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Rebecca Cuteness overload! Oh my goodness!!! <3

Kay Happy, Happy Birthday! I hope you had a lovely day! How did you celebrate?

Kim I wish you weren't dealing with the California fires. My cousin Holly had to evacuate from Healdsburg. They went to San Francisco.

Karen in Virginia
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,368 Member
    Options
    966247mn6lidxqrb.gif

Dr Katie! <3

Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,817 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Kay~
    boy I didnt sleep well at all.. i have to hop in the shower ,go feed Lils cats and feed Alfie, then stop and take the boys for a quick walk and then work for Mary from 7:45-5 .I did send an email to the boss, saying I would like more weekday hours, no longer work Saterdays and asked for a $2.00 hr raise.. if it works out fine, if not .I will search in ernest..
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

In order not to depend too much on batteries (I have been without power for as long as 8 days after a hurricane) I purchased a few solar yard lights from the $1 store. They are cheap and provide quite a bit of light when it is pitch black in the house (think bathrooms, hallways, etc.). When I use a battery flashlight/lantern I place it next to or on top of a mirror which doubles the light.

Love the positive attitude of finding those pesky chores that have been haunting you!
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Well went over calories by 380cal again winter munchies won again...feeling defeated but can’t give up or give in . Tomorrow another day going to try again.

Amber Tx

Hubby got to be home due to bad weather so nice relaxing family day. Hoping neck will heal by tomorrow Hubby did a lot of the lifting (we take turns who Evers feeble at the moment lol 😂 gets lifilting break)

Sending positive thoughts to you in reaching your daily intake. One thing I do is drink a full 8 ounces of water when I feel like "munching" and am not hungry. It seems to take my mind off of the urge. Also eating a non-sweet pickle will sometimes work for me. The acidic tastes wipes out any taste craving.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Morning.

Happy birthday katiebug and hope your dad’s jaw heals quickly.

Becca that puppy, and your grandchild—photo perfect!

A happy Monday, prepped and ready to work. Take care everyone

NYKAREN
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    On power outages - We were without power for almost two weeks after Hurricane Ike. The biggest thing I learned is when you walk into the bathroom in the dark, you will flip the light switch no matter how long the power has been out. :smiley:

On grocery pickup/delivery - We don't have delivery since we live so far out, but we can do curbside pickup. We have used it several times when we have returned from a trip and need food for the next day. I have been impressed that they will follow my veggie/fruit requests such as 3 ripe bananas and 4 green bananas. I haven't ever received expired yogurt or anything like that. I wish the service had been available while Sam was sick. The last few months he couldn't be left alone so going to the grocery store when hubs was traveling was out. I bought canned soup, etc from Amazon and it would be delivered to the porch. I would stock up on veg/fruit before hub left but since he was gone 3 weeks at a time, I would run out of fresh food while he was gone. Curbside pickup would have been a huge blessing then!

Have a great week ladies. Our friends have headed home so I am getting the house put back together. I also need to get our costumes in the boxes in the shop so I don't have them sitting out either.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • Machka9
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »

In order not to depend too much on batteries (I have been without power for as long as 8 days after a hurricane) I purchased a few solar yard lights from the $1 store. They are cheap and provide quite a bit of light when it is pitch black in the house (think bathrooms, hallways, etc.). When I use a battery flashlight/lantern I place it next to or on top of a mirror which doubles the light.

Love the positive attitude of finding those pesky chores that have been haunting you!

We have several of those solar lights outside, including some slightly more expensive ($20-25) ones which are motion sensitive and quite bright. Our yard is very dark, even with the front porch and external garage lights and sections of the footpath were completely black. That made going downstairs to workout rather unappealing and dangerous. Now the yard lights up as we walk through. :) But similar could be used inside if you charged them outside.

M in Oz

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,728 Member
    Options
    late happy bday kay! sorry
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,728 Member
    Options
    yesterday stat:

1st outside run w/yogi only. slowed me down but he'll get better at it

Outside jogging with yogi- 58.13min, 10.46min mi, 143ahr, 160mhr, 5.40mi= 686c
    Apple Watch- 538c
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Self checkouts y Curbside- I avoid I like people y figure I don’t want anyone substituting for me if their out or not adding it I find out at home fear.

155.8 cw
    195 sw

No pickles in the house only jalapeños. Water I drink a lot but need to try that during an urge this winter. Winter ❄️ has always been a munchie time for me y sick 😷 time. Gatorade zero curved summer cravings but it’s not working for winter at all. Neck sore but healing up. I need every new trick I can get .
    1. More filling meals (heavy hearty foods winter ❄️ like)
    2. Drink water suggestion to be implemented
    3. No pickle juice not sure what a good alternative that I might have is
    4. Crackers (toasty cheezits) 1 serving as a snack the ice cream filled me up with Gatorade zero in the summer but nothing now so got to switch it up find another afternoon snack alternative that might work.

Amber Tx
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Did one segment of 10MS Fitness Ball Workout then took the extremepump class. Since I’m going for routine blood work tomorrow and can’t eat breakfast, the plan is to do a Leslie Sanson work away the Pounds DVD. This one is only 30 minutes, and since I need to get to the MD early, that’ll work. Afterwards, I need to go to the Green Room.

After exercise today went to the Salvation Army. Found these outdoor decorations that were 1/2 price. Don't know if that's something we want but I got it anyway. Also found a pair of shortie pajamas. They usually don't have them. Then stopped at Habitat for Humanity to get measurements for stools I saw, but Vince thinks they'll be too short.

Cheri – I’m with you. I shop at Lowe’s Foods (only if I’m near the store and they have something on sale that I have a coupon for), Publix only if I need something they have (they don’t double coupons), Food Lion but only if something is on sale and if I’m near a store (fortunately, there is one right down the road from me), WalMart and Aldi. Usually not all in the same week. Primarily Aldi and WalMart. I do find the pick up at WalMart very handy, but what I have a problem with is the fact that you have to have a minimum order. I usually don’t unless I’m buying meats, and I just don’t trust them to pick out good meats for me. Vince does NOT like to go food shopping at all, he usually sits in the car while I go into the store. Which suits me fine because he’s not interested in looking for coupons and buying something maybe not on the list but that is on clearance that we regularly use. I haven’t tried their home delivery.

Tracey – how wonderful that you found your ring!

Rebecca – thanks for posting those wonderful pics. Athena certainly is a cutey pie

SuzyQ – thanks for the reminder that if I’m tempted for something sweet, a swig of vinegar squelches the urge. For some reason, I haven’t thought of that in quite a while

Now that winter is here, does anyone have any suggestions for breakfast food that is filling and also low calories (maybe about 50 per serving). I don't like artificial sweeteners. In the summer, I can usually have some sort of cereal (1/2 cup) for around 50 calories (Cheerios, bran flakes etc). I can only think of some egg substitute, but I don’t like to have the same thing every day. So I’m looking for other suggestions. It honestly doesn’t have to be a breakfast food – even soup is fine. I’ve had veges (actually, this morning I had green beans in my cereal), chicken, whatever we need to use up. Guess I can have chicken broth with shirataki or coucous or something like that. As a matter of fact, I have had soup before with my cereal. Any other suggestions? Tomorrow I’m planning to have a ground turkey burger and cheese.

Michele
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,987 Member
    Options
    :) From my kitchen and dining room windows I can see the Olympic Mountains. From other sides of the house I see tall evergreen trees. While walking I see the mountains and the trees. I see the water when I drive somewhere. I love where I live.

:) Today I plan to practice the easy dances I've chosen to go with Halloween theme music to prepare for dance class on Friday when students will wear costumes and bring treats. My part of the party is the dancing and I want to be prepared.

:)Tracey, How great that you found your ring. Your persistence is amazing.

<3 Barbie from NW WA