WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2019

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Allie: You are a good friend to your neighbor, Lil. I hope she is okay. :flowerforyou:

Dr. Katie: Happy 65! You sweet young thing!!! :bigsmile:

Kim: Your neighbor is lucky to have your support and help. :heart:

Machka: When we were in College there was a massive snowfall in Lane County, OR, and the streets of Eugene & Springfield couldn’t be plowed for days because the nearest snowplows were miles away in the mountains. The dorms were full of kids who had no outlet for fun or frustration, and there were some knife fights and stabbings there. I believe the correct psychological term for this is a behavioral sink. There were some taverns that arranged to get beer delivered, & the police were stationed all over the campus area. My apartment building never lost power. A house just across the road from us collapsed from snow load on the roof. No one was injured in the collapse as far as we knew.

Floods, fires and blizzards can happen unexpectedly and out of the blue just about anywhere. California has sure had more than its share of fires in the past few years. :sad: I think they should work on burying all power lines. That would reduce the manmade causes of fire. Nature is still nature & lightning would still be possible, but look at how much might be protected! (I realize the change over would be expensive in the short run, but not in the long run.)

Rebecca: What a cute puppy! :bigsmile:

I have been under doctor’s care for a while now. Still have bleeding sinuses but the meds are helping.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    💜💛💚💙
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,728 Member
    Options
    Pppppp
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,368 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Our friends from Cornwall are arriving in less than an hour. We are going out in the chill for pizza after a glass of something sparkling. :D I hope the guy will be ok as he has stage 4 lung cancer, but is doing well on chemo. It's a short walk to the bus.
    I did a bit of quite unnecessary cleaning today, but it's never wasted and it's lovely when the house looks nice.

Feeling a bit under par and so is DH. I think we may have caught a cold from Bea. :#:'(

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Michele ... beans in your cereal??
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    SuzyQ – thanks for the reminder that if I’m tempted for something sweet, a swig of vinegar squelches the urge. For some reason, I haven’t thought of that in quite a while
    Michele

LOL - I could never swig the vinegar, but can eat a small kosher pickle (what 5-10) calories. Does help me rid the sweet taste out of the mouth.

For filling breakfast at 50 calories?! Mine average between 200-350 calories. I have picked up Cascadian Farms high-fiber cereals and eat 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup as a snack (200-230 per cup). Egg whites, instead of egg substitute, may be a better option. One egg white has 17 calories.
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    Has anyone else had trouble logging in food and exercise in MFP today? I keep getting error messages. I also have to hit Community right away or MFP just does not let me in. Strange!
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    Happy belated birthday, Katiebug! My son's 19th birthday was yesterday, as well.

No word on the potential job, yet, but today is the earliest I would have expected to hear anything. The position officially closed on Friday, so I am not worried yet. Actually, I am not worried in any case. I am happy where I am, so it will be fine, whatever happens.

I am so sorry for the fires and power outages in California. One of my husband's coworkers has been without power for one week. That's difficult to imagine.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Pppppp
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Has anyone else had trouble logging in food and exercise in MFP today? I keep getting error messages. I also have to hit Community right away or MFP just does not let me in. Strange!

Had to log off and log back in. Looks like all is good to go now. I record exclusively in MFP and said to self.....hm, how many calories do I have for dinner? If I could not log back in to find out I would have had a light salad. Glad I was able to log in because I have 600 calories that I must eat to make my minimum.

Work has been crazy lately. Most days I am not eating breakfast until 11:00 am which is late considering I start at 7:00. I am not hungry first thing in the morning and simply cannot force myself to eat before work.

Hope everyone has a great day, evening, sleep!
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Today is International Animation Day!

"This day commemorates the first public performance of Charles-Émile Reynaud's Théâtre Optique at the Grevin Museum in Paris, 1892. In 1895, the Cinematograph of the Lumière brothers outshone Reynaud's invention, driving Émile to bankruptcy. However, his public performance of animation entered the history of optical entertainments as shortly predating the camera-made movies. ... During International Animation Day cultural institutions are also invited to join in by screening animated films, organizing workshops, exhibiting artwork and stills, providing technical demonstrations, and organizing other events helping to promote the art of animation."

Rita - You should go to one of the UFO museums while you're there! I think there are still several but there is one pretty prominent one on the main street through Roswell. They have a little grey alien figure you can take pictures with, and tons of delightfully tacky souvenirs. Have you ever camped at Valley of Fires State Park (down near Carrizozo)? It's a cool spot - very otherworldly landscape there.

Pip - Oh, Pip, I am so sorry to hear about Floyd's diagnosis. I know what a heartbreaking decision that was. Every time we have to do it I think I'd rather take the needle myself if it would save my sweet furry companion. Wishing you comfort in knowing Floyd had a wonderful life and a peaceful ending in the arms of his beloved people. We'll miss his gorgeous face around here.

Tracey - Your friend at the nursing home sounds like an inspiration to everyone around her! That's great news about finding your ring.

SuziQ - Wow, you look fantastic!

Rebecca - Oooooh, the new puppy photo made me squeal! What an adorable little moppet.

I'm not sure what happened but I seem to have found some motivation. Not looking a gift horse in the mouth! I've made a lot of little changes over the past couple of weeks but I think the motivation came first rather than the other way around. That said, I hope all those changes will help me keep it going. I decided to set what for me is a fairly aggressive goal of losing 20 pounds before our ski trip in February. It's about 16 weeks so I'll have to work hard, but it should be doable if I keep up the workouts.

Philip and I are continuing to plank every day, and he's going to the new gym with me twice a week. I really really hope he'll decide to stick with it, because it's a huge help for me if we go together. He's a skinny guy but a little exercise will do him good anyway. We do strength training on those days, but I'll probably go back in there in between now and then to use the rowing machine although my main focus for cardio right now is the ski machine. We're also getting the hang of Mealime for meal planning and I'm learning some little tips that make it work better for us. The user interface still frustrates me and I wish they'd put in some work on their web site because doing it all on the phone is ridiculously cumbersome.

Th-th-that's all, folks!

-Yvonne in TX
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,892 Member
    Options
    Wow, DD and I worked really hard this last weekend and got the paddock cleaned up and recycled asphalt put down. We shoveled for 3 hours yesterday but it looks good and will hopefully help with the winter mud situation.

Happy birthday Katie!

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,400 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Power Outages - All this talk is motivating me to get my “emergency” tub together. I did manage to clear out my file cabinet and find the house deeds after the last fire scare, but I still need to gather the solar flashlights, ensure the battery powered candles are ready, and put the earthquake kits together.

Michele- Oatmeal is a great breakfast food. Get the plain one and add peanut butter and some banana slices. It’s satisfying and healthy. I know you said you like variety, but egg whites are a great protein source, low calorie (2 egg whites are 50 cals) and you can add something different every day to make them different. I use pesto, Chimuchurri, marinara sauce, gravy from dinner, etc. Eggs are versatile. I get the ones that have one ingredient: Egg whites. I don’t like the substitutes such as egg beaters. I also make cloud eggs and toast them rather than having bread.

SuzyQ - I have trouble with MFP logging quite often. At least a few times per day. The community seems to be more stable.

Napping - There hasn't been conversation on this, but I need to learn how to nap. Since I now eat dinner once in a while, I’ve stopped sleeping well those nights. Any advice? I have never been able to nap. I think it’s my brain being too busy thinking about what I should be doing other than napping.

I’m in the middle of a spring clear out. I call it that because I started in the spring and I expect it’ll continue right through next spring. How do we accumulate so much stuff?????
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 7.30min, 144mhr, 12.6amph, 1.57mi= 91c
    apple watch- 64c
    treadmill jog- 18.50min, 141ahr, 154mhr, 9.25min mi, 6.3-7.0sp, 2mi= 223c
    apple watch- 115c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 5.22min, 144mhr, 16.5amph, 1.47mi= 72c
    apple watch- 49c
    bike ride puy 2 sumn station- 15.45min, 146mhr, 11.5amph, 3.02mi= 178c
    apple watch- 113c
    jog sta 2 wrk- 5.10min, 151mhr, 9.37min mi, .53mi= 73c
    apple watch- 59c
    jog wrk 2 sta- 4.39min, 9.59min mi, 144mhr, .46mi= 63c
    apple watch- 59c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 21.37min 7.2amph, 139mhr, 2.59mi= 199c
    apple watch- 126c

1098 cal
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    RV Rita – congrats! Doing a happy dance for you

Beth – yup, green beans in my cereal. I told you I have some strange breakfasts

Went to ceramics tonight and then mahjongg.

Sh0tzz – oatmeal is one of the things I have. Steel cut is good, but not real good in the calorie dept. ohhh….talking about eggs reminds me that I have these egg poacher cups on my Christmas list. I can’t wait to get them, then I can have a poached egg. I have had salsa on my egg and some cheese. Honestly, I don’t have a problem napping. Just set me in front of the TV and I’m out

Michele in NC