WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2019

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,937 Member
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    SCGirl - Yep, I'm a writer. Thanks for the compliment! Our Heather in the UK is, as well, we both have books on Amazon. I also write grants for a living. Others don't necessarily advertise on here that they're writers, but each of us has our own voice in this place.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

I write as well, but mine is technical writing as part of my jobs ... writing instruction manuals, documentation, etc.

Just about as exciting as that sounds! But I enjoy it. :)

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    Here are some things I don't do:
    *use salad dressing
    *eat dessert
    *drink alcohol. coffee, tea, or fruit juice
    *pay attention to the news or anything that will get me upset or stressed
    *use social media
    *sit for very long except in a car on a necessary trip
    *shop for recreation
    *eat for recreation

There may be more to add to the list, but I've been sitting too long and it's time to get up and do something else.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

Similar ...

I also don't like salad dressings, dips, and sauces in general. I will use them occasionally ... for example, this weekend I will make a chicken/veg curry in my slow cooker and that will have a light coconut milk (fairly low cal) & curry sauce, but it's not something I do on a regular basis.

I do eat dessert, but rarely other sweet stuff ... except for low cal yogurt and fruit. I just don't buy anything else.

These days dessert consists of ice cream bars. I have discovered boxes of ice cream bars which are reasonably low calorie. Our favourites are higher calorie so I'll buy one of those boxes and then more of the low calorie ones. These give us something nice in the evening without blowing our calories right out of proportion. Also, ice cream bars help to control the intake. It is so easy to FILL a bowl with ice cream!!

I rarely drink my calories ... no alcohol, no fruit juice, no sugared beverages, etc. The only time I will drink my calories is if I am doing or have done a long bicycle ride (or run) and have burned a lot of calories. Or if I'm having dental work and can't eat solid foods.

I do drink coffee and tea because I drink them "black" ... no milk, no sugar. In fact, a late evening indulgence is one of my caffeine-free teas. The lights are low, soft music is playing on the stereo, and I'm sipping a cup of apple-cinnamon chamomile tea or a orange-cinnamon rooibos tea or something similar. :):)

I rarely watch or listen to the news. I use social media for information purposes ... to find out what interesting events are coming up etc. ... and to connect with my family scattered around the world.

And I don't like sitting in a car!! I'd much rather park the car and walk several kilometres than to drive or sit in a car. I take the bus to work and walk to do all my errands. I do shop (or window shop) for recreation at lunch ... it's a way I can get out on a cold rainy day like today and walk without getting soaked.

And we eat out occasionally ... not even all the time when we travel. We always bring food when we travel and there are days when we just can't be bothered getting back into the car to find dinner ... it's easier to put together something quick where we are staying.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Came up in my Memories today ...

gl14dsov6ltf.png
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) I have been listening to James Michener's "Hawaii" as an audiobook and reading "Alaska" as an e book. Reading what all these early people did to survive has made me feel extra lazy even though I walk for two hours or more a day and seek every opportunity to be active. It has also made me grateful for all the creature comforts I have that I can easily take for granted---food, shelter, water, electricity, heat, transportation, books, and a zillion other things. There isn't enough room to write about all these things in my daily gratitude journal.

81824br5uyrfrsr.gif Barbie in NW WA

Barbie The first tome I read was Michener's "The Source". It was the summer between 7th & 8th grade & my mother just handed it to me one day and said "I think you'll enjoy this". I had devoured Pearl Buck's books about generations of people, so maybe that's why she suggested it. Anyway, I could not put Michener's book down. It's the only Michener book I have read, though. I think I would like to read more of his writing. Maybe "Hawaii".
  • Machka9
    Options
    I'm a "forget to eat" person. I was out running errands and doing stuff today. Then busy when I got back to work. About 3:30 pm I realised I was hungry and finally took a moment to have lunch. My difficulty comes late in the evening when I'm hungry and tired but it's going to be another 1.5 hours before I can sleep.

That and trying to juggle exercise and food intake.

M in Oz
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Came up in my Memories today ...

gl14dsov6ltf.png

Thanks Machka - good reminder that it all boils down to restricting calories. :smile:
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    cestabrook-Welcome to the group. If you had hip replacement in early October you are still in the recovery phase of that. I have had both hips replaced. Weight may still be up due to the swelling, which takes some time to go away. As that dissipates and you get back to more normal movement, the weight will go. My second replacement was in Feb. 2018. Between the two hip replacements from August 2016 and March of this year I had slowly put back on 20 pounds. When I went back to honest logging and meal prep, the weight went away and I am now to a lower weight than before first surgery. Give the hip a bit more time to completely heal, walk as your major exercise at this time (that's great for hips) and make sure you're giving your body good nutrition.

Ginny in Ohio

• Fitdaily2021
    Fitdaily2021 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Such a lovely group of ladies! Really happy to be part of this group, need all the support I can get! [Don't we all!]
    This crazy time change of just an hour has me up at 0430 daily, so I will have the time to post on most
    days. Here are my every day MUST DOS
    1. Exercise hard enough to sweat!
    2. Log all food
    3. Tend organic garden
    4. Clean house and have 'visitor ready' at all times
    5. check in with family and friends
    6. Challenge my brain with work! This includes CEUs, testing, contacting colleagues
    7. Volunteer workplace contacts and double check dates of events
    8. check on wildlife in my area- I live in a park on an Island
    All this makes me HAPPY and feel like a Productive and useful human

Have a fantastic day and rejoice in your gift of life on Mother Earth
  • Machka9
    Options
    Now that my manager has brought up the subject of Christmas leave, I'm trying to think what to do. I've booked the leave off and we're stuck here in Tasmania ... but do I want to drive all over Tassie like last Christmas or stay in one spot.

M in Oz
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    VA Karen - for the longest time after I gave Jess an IP, she kept saying "ma you have to get one". I would just say "I have a pressure cooker, I have a slow cooker, what do I need with another appliance?". Then I tried the one I gave Denise when I was up there. Now it's on my Christmas list and the pressure cooker (which is over 40 years old but still works fine) is going to the Salvation Army

Denise is giving us hassles about Christmas -- again. I swear, every year without fail she gives us heartache.

Michele NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,732 Member
    Options
    Sitting with Homer and Chester ,dont get to spend nearly enough time with them it's the calm before work,got my Alfie fix earlier.. thank goodness to have them in my life...