WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2019

Options

Replies

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Rori-- I hate Dementia too! My Dad has it for decade now lives on his sisters property on base days he mistakes the property as the farm he grew up on so he’s fine others he knows it’s a piece of property with his sister. My cousins,me,y Aunt made this arrangement when we discovered I was pregnant again so late in life! Doctors were putting me on bedrest talking about surgeries to issues. Luckily my family is understanding. Same Aunt I go to every Thanksgiving to celebrate my birthday she’s in her 70’s. This allows us all 3 (2cousins y me who grew up in the same home off y on) to check up on them.Adult grandkids not JR can go out there too to check up. Together it’s easier for them to keep up with everything from cooking to grass y surgeries. Dads dementia makes his nervous jumpy around babies sad to say .On good days he can visit JR,but 90% -100% of time each month he can’t be around JR cause it agitates him. Talking on the cell phones okay tho so we do that a lot or texting Pawpaw when he’s too nervous for that. Great days we can sit in my house or his watch a movie. Really great days (Daughter has to be there she calming factor but in the Navy at the moment) we can go to a restaurant we try to hit non-busy hours cause more people agitates. He preaches in a church off y on is a deacon of one with only a handful of older folks. He feels safe there is a 40min drive for me ,Aunt,or him to get to. So We go there when we go brave the drive. He wants to live independently as long as possible so allowing that. Hopefully by the time my Aunt passes JR will be 9+yrs old so I can take him in y My uncle can be takin in by my other Cousin like we discussed. They can barely get around yet they deliver meals on wheels .lol stubborn lot they are.

Amber Tx
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :)<3Rori, You are so wise to think of solutions on your own for your husband and for seeking help from the VA and in your community.

:) The woman who walks the dogs with me in the morning was the primary caregiver for her husband who had Alzheimer's for years before his death a few years ago. I learned a lot from her about patience and having a sense of humor. She made use of community resources and found a bit of time for herself (walking with me before daylight when her husband was asleep was one of "personal time" events).

:) While all of you on the other side of the US are freezing, we are moderately warm with drizzle. The dogs and I have good coats so we walk every day no matter what.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🤤😊
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,669 Member
    Options

i have 2 hrm and BOTH are having issues?? REALLY!!!!!!???!!
    MOST ARE ESTIMATE CALORIES BURNED when i put my stats in at the end of the day
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Karen in VA: Hysterical!!! I love it! :laugh: Those of us who have lived through a newborn in the past may have a tendency to enjoy the “suffering” of our offspring as they cope with their own offspring. :devil:

Pip: Love your dog photos. :heart:

Peachy: Congratulations on the surgical gift that has allowed you to walk your dog again. :heart:

Machka: Thank you so much for the article on sleep and Alzheimers! My grandma started developing what would turn out to be alzheimers when I was in highschool. She drank too much booze, took sleeping pills that have long ago been removed from the market, and displayed rages from time to time. The article seems like quite a match up. I try to live healthier. None of her children developed alzheimers, nor her grandchildren so far. :star:

Kim: DH and I are in a similar situation for the holidays. Our kids are thousands of miles away and we will be celebrating together. We have a niece who lives nearby and plan to invite her to come and share a meal, but not sure which holiday yet. :smile:

Heather: I envy your access to your grandchildren. Mine are thousands of miles away and paying airfare during the holiday weeks is exorbitant. On the plus side, I got to see them recently. YAY!!! :heart:

Rebecca: I adored Fred Rogers. He was a kind and gentle soul. :star:

Snowflake: Happy snow day. I hope you have safe travels and enjoy the white stuff. :flowerforyou:

(((Rori))) I hope that the VA comes through for you & your DH. Hopefully they can help with planning and practicalities. Your husband is a US Military Veteran and deserves to get the help he needs for both of your sakes. He served his country and it is time for his country to serve him. :heart:

DH has chair yoga today and I want to visit the beauty shop across the street from his class. I have been unable to get the woman who usually cuts my hair to do what I want done. She doesn’t get it no matter how many times I explain it or how many pictures I supply. The shop I want to visit today is near DH’s yoga class. I plan to walk over and talk to the beautician. Maybe it will be a match.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Katla, I hope you have a positive haircut experience!💖. Its hard to convey what you wish sometimes.
    💖Rebecca
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    :) Happy Hump Day

Rori ~ Hugs and Much Love to You for the care you are giving your husband. My sister-in-law is going through the same with her husband who developed dementia after his heart bypass surgery (he is only 68). My brother-in-law (who my husband is responsible for at this time) is also having severe short term memory problems. He keeps wanting to get into his bank account and getting locked out because he gets the sign-in wrong. Thankfully, we have found an assistant living facility for him where he is taken care of very well.

It was 21* here this AM. I know that all of you in the snowy north must think nothing about that, but, in Georgia it is a rarity (especially in November). Thankfully, I do have a long down coat that allowed me to take the anxious to get out Pom to do his business. Now he is happily ensconced on the back pork sitting in the sun. He loves the cold.

Carol in GA
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Heather--Sorry to hear about the flooding and someone being killed. We had bad flooding here in late Spring and then in summer. Several people have never been found and the damage is terrible. Nice picture of you and DH in the paper about your dance class.

Rebecca--She is SOOOO cute, and I think she is starting to look alot like you.

Lisa-Sending hug and prayers for you and Corey. So sorry to hear of your loss.

Ginny--Like the chair and it looks like it would be comfortable.

Karen--Thanks for sharing that is so funny and sounds like the crew is very good at working as a team. With the detail I could just picture it all.

Kim--Wish we were closer as you would be invited to our house all the time.

Rebecca--I really want to see the Mr. Rogers movie. I just hope they don't try to make it about something he was hiding like they do sometimes. I just want to remember him as the person on the show.

Rori--Pray that you find the answers you need.

Warmer here today as almost 40 degrees. Winter temps and ice and snow came to early. Sounds like maybe the low 50's this weekend.
    Take care, Blessings, Vicki GI NE <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,783 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies~
    well got my errands done and my hair did.. we have decided in Dec to cut more of the red out and use more of the browner tones with the highlights I have.. I am growing it out so that I have a graduated bob a bit shorter in the back and longer in the front..
    Alfie supplied with Dog treats for awhile he is spoiled and only likes the chewy ones, so this should last him through the new year and beyond..got a gift card for my DD and will get sketch pads for my DGD i also got her a 6 month subscription for art supplies, will get my son in law a a Cabela's GC. and my son some gift cards too.. my DB and DSIL I usually get them Omaha steaks they like that and it is handy..
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    Went to the water class today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Travel Fit DVD.

Kim – thanks for looking this up for me (Coast Guard/Navy). So am I correct to assume that if needed, he can be called up at any time?

JR – a guy (a veteran) at bowling the other week was telling me that there were a lot of people who weren’t entitled to a military discount but would ask for it. To me, I would never think of something like that.

Rori – (((BIG HUG))) How do you keep from screaming out loud? If I were a pillow in your condo, I’d fear for my life, I know that I would probably punch the living daylights out of it. Therapy – for you???? Enjoy the exhibit, you deserve it.

Remember I told you how one month at Rummikub this one gal announced that Newcomers would not be supplying supplies to any activity that’s held in people’s homes, even tho it was held at the clubhouse at Wynnshire which isn’t a home? Well, the club said that they would supply them. Then she told me that the gal who usually gets it for us has to go out for November (she needs to be there for us to use the clubhouse) and “people want to have it in their homes” only two people that she told me about did and possibly one other. (I asked and the other person never told me that she was willing) Last time I looked there were 12 months in a year. But whatever. So I asked the board if the same consideration could be given to Rummikub as to mahjongg, basically that someone from there does not need to be a member in exchange for us being able to use the facility. They said fine since the precedent had already been set. Well, we have someone else who can be at the clubhouse, I sent out that notice that Rummikub will be at the clubhouse, now this gal has asked if she could host it in her home so I asked if she could do it next month since I’d already sent out the notice. Why this big focus on it being only in someone’s home. Honestly, most people don’t feel they have enough room to host in their home.

Put up the Christmas trees.

Ceramics tonight

Michele in NC
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Barbara - considering how happy that made me, I can only imagine how your conversation with Joe made you. So pleased for you.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Barbara I read your post about DH and Shadow and hung on your every word/emotion. So glad that DH had some time to reflect and move towards keeping his heart open to Shadow, because his heart is all yours <3<3

Had a crummy day at work, but that happens sometimes doesn't it? I am 100xs blessed and now must get myself on the treadmill.

NYKAREN
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Barbara ~ So glad that Joe had a change of heart and that you so calmly listened and did not make a big fuss.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,404 Member
    Options
    Barbara - Oh my, did that bring back memories.
    Our old dog Sophie was/is the perfect dog. Smart as a whip, doesn't bark, very obedient.

Then at DH's constant urging I finally brought home Rosie to "keep Sophie company". Turned out she was my responsibility for the first 6 months. I don't think I ate a meal sitting down because she would stand by the door to do her business at the most inopportune time.

I would ask DH to take her out and he'd zip her out to do her #1 then that was it. I was the one take her back out and stand in the rain with her until she got done.

I finally blew my top big time, told him she was going ASAP if he wasn't willing to help. At first he said he didn't care (I thought about keeping her and getting rid of him after all that.) But the light slowly came on and he did his share.

Now, I'm happy to say she's a sweetie and completely housebroken. And even minds fairly well considering she's a mini schnauzer, lol. Still feels its her duty to tell us the UPS or mail lady drove in, at full volume, singing the song of her people :s .

I am so glad Joe came around. All the work for him and you right now will be well worth it. We were both working when we got Sophie and she was crated for part of the day from the beginning, I think that helped with her training a lot.

And once Shadow is older, I bet Tumble will like her too. Sophie still gets pretty aggravated at Rosie but then she's 10 years older. Grandparents don't have the energy and get cranky sooner, lol.
    Hugs!
    Lanette
    Sunny SW WA State
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Today is Sadie Hawkins Day!

"Sadie Hawkins Day originated from Al Capp's comic strip, Li'l Abner, which ran from 1934 to 1977. In the comic strip, Sadie Hawkins was the homely looking daughter of Hekzebiah Hawkins, and at the age of 35 she had not yet married. In an effort to marry her off, Hekzebiah brought together all the unmarried men of the town of Dogpatch, and had them run out of town while being pursued by Sadie Hawkins. Whoever lost the foot race had to marry Sadie Hawkins... The unmarried women of Dogpatch thought the day was a good idea, and Sadie Hawkins Day became a yearly event where unmarried women chased bachelors, who had to marry the women who caught them if they were dragged across the finish line before sundown. Sadie Hawkins Day first appeared in Li'l Abner on November 15, 1937."

Kim - I'm sorry you'll be alone for the holidays. If you were closer I'd invite you to join us! Maybe a church or social club in your area hosts an "orphan holiday" event for people who don't have other plans.

Lanette - Your Thanksgiving and Christmas memory reminded me of my mother's mother. I don't think I ever saw her sit through a whole meal... she was forever hopping up to refill something or other, always to a chorus of "Mom, sit down!"

Shirley - Glad you found a logging method that works for you! I usually pick the closest available measurement to what I ate and then multiply or divide as needed (1.25 or 0.3 or whatever).

Rebecca - I'm looking forward to the Mr. Rogers movie too. I can't think of any actor on the planet except Tom Hanks who I could see in that role.

Rori - I can't imagine the heartbreak of seeing someone you love get lost like that. Very glad you are able to ask for and receive support and to search for help when you need it.

Connie - I hear you about the weather! Summer stuck around for so long here that I despaired of it ever leaving, but then winter swept in overnight and we went from too hot to too cold. But given a choice I'll take the cold... you can always put on more clothing but there are limits to how much you can take off!

Christmas was an all-day marathon when I was a kid. First, Mom and Dad worked hard to make a big, magical Christmas for us at home. Then they'd load us up - along with any gifts we just couldn't be parted from - and do it all again at Dad's parents' house. And over to Mom's parents' house to do it again. We always had Christmas dinner at one of the grandparents' houses, alternating between them each year, but both houses got a visit on the day. My parents must have been exhausted by the time we got home but they never showed it! Mom's birthday is December 17 and my late best friend's is December 2 so the holidays are a little melancholy for me these days but we do our best to get together for family time. This year all three of us siblings and our families are having Christmas dinner at Dad's river house, which will be interesting since the kitchen is miniscule.

The Saturday before Thanksgiving we have a big annual reunion and potluck dinner with my university circle of friends in College Station. This year Philip and I are taking the camper down there and staying in an RV spot at the new Equine Center, so I'm looking forward to revisiting the campus and seeing what's changed. I don't feel like cooking, though, so I'm ordering tamales to take as my potluck offering. Then we'll do Thanksgiving dinner here on the actual day with Philip's parents, so I'll have to start planning and shopping for that soon.

It's a grey day out, but I put on my big girl panties and went to the gym to do my rowing anyway.

-Yvonne in TX
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,669 Member
    Options
    lyu1c92a9vwn.jpeg
    Old yogi pic
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Rori, big hugs to you! I know when being a caregiver got to be too much for me when my husband was sick, I had joined a caregivers support group, put on by the local senior center. We didn't always talk about the stresses of being a caregiver, it was a place where you could be you. Some times I just cried, it was a place I could leave my emotions at. You need an outlet my friend.💖
    💖Rebecca
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Barbara That was a heartbreaking story...but I liked the ending. I think your puppy looks like a sweetheart.

Karen in Virginia