WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2019

Options

Replies

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    @ginnytez that is so said about the supervisor. also, I'm so sorry about your director. who are you serving 333 meals to?

@auntiebk yes I was having same problem with MFP food not entering yesterday, very annoying. I entered calorie estimates. Haven't tried today. I do bring fruit and protein sometimes but was out. cheese is so-so for me. I can easily over eat but also it gives me the sniffles.

• bananasandoranges
    edited November 2019
    Options
    slept ok. I declined a few work things due to another work thing but found out yesterday there was a room scheduling issue and so we had to cancel and am free to work at home on other work things.
    so emailing in bed about work since about 7:30. (now 9:45).
    going to go to gym and café before starting the day.bkn6u43f6ygp.png

I do log walking around (estimate of steps). so I start w a net of 1000 which might go up to about 1150 base w usual minor walking around etc as a teacher.
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I'm tending to crash early like 9pm (early here) and then awaken at 2:30 or 3am.

It sounds like we are on the same sleeping pattern. Last night I forced myself to stay awake until 10:30 pm and slept in until 4:15 am! An accomplishment. I could have gone back to sleep, but when I do that I end up feeling like I slept too much. So, I tam resolved to listening to my body and taking advantage of sweet naps on the weekend. I hope you survive the day and you do not have to teach over the weekends. My DH was a tenured professor but it took him many years of the craziness you are going through to get there.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,877 Member
    Options
    2019 Monthly November
    Walking Distance (km): 58.0
    Walking Time (min): 713.8
    Cycling Distance (km): 30.2
    Cycling Time (min): 108.0
    Flights Stairs Climbed Number: 70.0
    Flights Stairs Climbed Time (min): 56.0
    Rowing Distance (km): 6.0
    Rowing Time (min): 39.0
    Other Distance: 0.0
    Other Time: 90.0

Totals
    Total Distance (km): 94.2
    Total Distance (miles): 58.5
    Total Time (min): 1006.8
    Total Time (hr): 16:46:45

Machka in Oz
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I am most grateful for the book "Watership Down". I read it when I was on the cusp of becoming a teenager and it opened my mind to the world of politics, war, the environment, relationships, and so many other concepts and ideas. Honestly, books were my form of escape from family life and probably saved me from madness and depression.

I remember talking to my friends about the book and most looked at me crossed-eyed and the comments ranged from "you're reading a book about rabbits" to "you're weird". Oh, if they only knew what the missed! :smile:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    SuziQ - After we moved out of London we were renting a house for 6 months only a short walk from Watership Down. We often went for hikes around there. The views were amazing. It was also the best place to pick sloes to make sloe gin!

The book that I am most grateful for is LITTLE WOMEN. It was hugely influential in my life and showed me that I could become a writer. I wasn't so keen on Jo 's marriage, but I forgave her. I must have read it tens of times and used to perform sections for my relatives. I couldn't wait to be 16 and be able to go to balls in a crinoline. :p

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »

The supervisor at work was working until the first week in October. She has been out on FMLA, which ends soon. However, she has a large sick leave balance so money is coming in and she will be covered until she passes. Very sad. Many at work are torn up over it. For some of the younger staff it will be the first time they have experienced death of someone they worked closely with.

Ginny in Ohio

Ginny - I'm so sorry to hear about your coworker. Many years ago I worked for a small company. We had a retiree that worked for us part time. He passed away during the year and when I was preparing W-2's that year, I had to mark his deceased. It was the first time I had to do that. My boss walked by while I was preparing them and saw me with tears streaming down my face. He stopped for a second and then saw the W-2's and said Jimmy, I nodded and he came over and patted my back and then kept moving.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    We went through these 30 Days of Gratitude in November last year. I won't suggest that we do it again this year, but it is still something to keep in mind as we go into the holiday season. :)

mozs13csyrr4.png
    Machka in Oz

All right ... it's mid November and this will take us through to mid December ... just in time for Christmas!! :)

Day 1 - November 15 - Smell: My sense of smell is limited and my husband no longer has a sense of smell (or taste) since his accident. However, I can catch a faint scent from the roses and freesias he has grown, which are all coming into bloom.

I'm thankful that he has been able to garden and that we have so many lovely flowers and veggies growing and blooming. :)

Day 2 - November 16 - Technology: My laptop, my phone, email, facebook ... the fact that technology exists! :) It's what I do ... it's what I learn ... it's how I communicate with family and friends.

Day 3 - November 17 - Colour: Well ... I'm thankful for the bright colours on my table. Especially since this spring has been quite gloomy. They make me smile. :)

Day 4 - November 18 - Food: I'm thankful for my weekday lunches ... chicken, rice and veg. :)

Day 5 - November 19 - Sound: How applicable! I just got my laptop connected to my stereo!! I am appreciating the nice soothing music in the evenings. :)

Day 6 - November 20 - Nature: All of it! I am very thankful that there is nature ... animals and plants, water, rocks, mountains, hills, all of it. I'm glad I live in a place where I can see and experience nature. I couldn't live in the middle of a large city. My ideal would be in a small town or right on the edge of a larger one so I could be surrounded by countryside in seconds.

Day 7 - November 21 - Memory: I'm thankful for memory. I'm thankful that my husband has some of his memory - he's pretty good at past memories and procedural memories. I'm glad he didn't lose that. I'm also thankful that, with a bit of effort, I've been able to improve my memory a bit. I've discovered that if I focus and work at it, I can remember people's names at least some of the time! I've had to be my husband's memory.

Machka in Oz

Day 7 - November 21 - Book: Most grateful ... the Bible. It's been a comfort to me, especially in recent times.

Also grateful for books in general.

The last 18 months I've switched to reading "children's" books. I've also found them comforting.

Machka in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~ I am up having my tea.. and watching the news. which is boring..will turn on the Hallmark Channel.. or Food Network..working 11-5 today and 1/2 day tomorrow.. Sunday is our pot luck here for Thanksgiving. so have to cook a turkey breast,make deviled eggs and creamed onions
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Friday! Doing the Friday dance! Whoot!
    Rita- You look absolutely stunning in that shade of blue! You have beautiful eyes, so I think you look great in the pic without glasses (but you look great in glasses as well)!
    Annie- definitely pack snacks for your trip! The others have given some really great suggestions!
    Heather and SuziQ- Watership Down is my older brother's favorite book. And Heather, I totally understand where you are coming from with Jo's wedding in Little Women. I felt I had been betrayed by her/her marriage. I wanted her to go on being that strong, brave, sometimes bumbling, adventurous girl.
    Gratitude #8- book- I think the book I am most grateful for has got to be The Long Winter in the Little House series. I read this almost annually. It is my go to book when I am tired and missing my parents. It is the book that brings me "home".

kids arriving early. Have a couple staying late tonight, so parents can have a date night. Haven't had a long day like this in a while. But all good. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • FiddleKenna
    FiddleKenna Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    I am in such a tizzy....

Hopefully I am not overstepping here with some ideas for you.
    !

No you are not overstepping at all and thank you for taking the time to respond with your kind words and suggestions. Unfortunately the other breeder lives about 2 hours away from where I am going west of Cleveland. I am actually going to the reproductive vet that she uses so I am not in her vicinity really. I have been here before last time we did a breeding we used on of the same persons dogs so I do know my way a little. I think definitely packing some healthy snacks is something I will do and I had not thought about going to the grocery but at least I could get some healthier things in there. I don't mind the road trip and honestly am kinda looking forward to that piece of it. I have a ton of grading to do before the end of the semester and my students revolt so I have things to keep me busy its just the access to real foods and not fast food that is concerning to me.

I think my number one goal is to see if I can get my husband to go instead of me and then if that doesn't work your suggestions are very helpful and I do appreciate them so thank you :smile:

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    "The Little Prince"
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    For those of you who shop at Kroger, I got a turkey for less than $7 yesterday (you have to spend $25).

Carol in GA
  • Machka9
    Options
    Just tired.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Write Zicam on the grocery list y more red or green throat spray. (Trying to keep JR from catching it)
    Using Alcohol free NyQuil (with antihistamine), salt in the water humidifier with Vick’s pads, throat spray to numb nap times only, lots of water,ice cream when throat sore before bed, Tylenol if needed at bed time, blowing my nose using Vaseline y lotion 🧴 for the soreness, hand washing,Lysol spray on door knobs to sink handles plus toilet 🚽 y bed room, just drank som straight honey 🍯 (forgot about honey), need to gargle salt water have gargled mouthwash listerine type alcohol kills stuff Dad says,y no rest for the weary much so cutting down on what I can. Me y JR sneezing 🤧 so starting as allergies. Mine turned into a cold y my head hurts so hoping it doesn’t turn into a sinus infection with doctor bill. Watching room temps. Washing clothes if sneezes on .

Amber Tx

Soup y sandwiches 🥪 or chicken taco 🌮 ,crystal light tea, (always lots of water), Gatorade zero, apples , y from my garden trees freash squeezed sour still orange juice when can.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @SuziQ113 sleeping till 4:30 doesn't seem so bad. I used to get up and mediate then housework a few years ago when I woke at 4, but these years I lay in. I don't think I'll make it to tenure. it's so competitive. I thought I had a chance a few years ago but I'm very doubtful now. it requires major support and "the right" network and I just don't have enough. great books are amazing. I havent' read novels for ages. I miss them.

@FiddleKenna when travelling I bring a Tupperware and breakfast food at least. I can usually find a fish and rice type dish or else a salad in most places. asian restaurants can be helpful when there are few other options. can you google restaurants beforehand? you could bring a cooler with some foods for some meals and just can one meal or so out per day. when I travel (outside camping or at family/friends) whether it's alone or in company I prefer to get 1 meal out per day. more seems a bit tiresome, expensive and not very healthy and less seems not so much fun (unless it's nice out). even by plane I bring my bowl/tupperware and spoon and some GF cereal possibly GF bread (if in a rural place with no rice cakes or supermarket nearby). and buy soy milk, salad stuff, buy a cheap 1-2 $ knife (can't carry on a knife) and have cereal soymilk and fruit for breakfast maybe salad (or less often sandwich) concoction for one meal and one meal out. It might feel more comfy eating lunch out when alone, or getting a take away for your room if you feel uneasy about eating in a restaurant alone. good luck!
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    as usual - these days - place is a mess and thought of what I have to do for work is overwhelming and so I'm behind. I answered mails in am. baaad news about our contracts. the direction had all but promised us 50% pay increase to adjust our pay to legal context and I just got news that the direction has gone against that. The new director is very elitist and promotes very expensive high level projects and speakers, consultants for the students, but doesn't want to respect what has been promised to adjunct-type teachers by the direction for years. I'm not sure how they can be so callous. most definitely a class struggle. He has been director since January and has delegated. he's from a very elitist background. such a disappointment for about 20 of us. they don't even tell us, but I found out from some union reps.

some say, "you should find work elsewhere" but a colleague says that is a marie-antoinnette type of answer. if there were other great jobs abound we would take them up.

anyway, I'm gonna try to go back to an hour of tidying. a more tidy home does make me feel better;