WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2019

Options

Replies

• SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Got my suitcase packed yesterday. I’m also taking an overnight bag just so I don’t have to bring the whole suitcase in with me into the hotel we stay at overnight. Now getting my snacks portioned out. Will probably fill my “bag”. If we stop at a BK and they have the Impossible Burger, I may have one just to try it.

Michele in NC

Hi Michele.
    I tried the Impossible Burger. It was fine, but I wish they would make a "junior" size. It is only 47 calories less than a regular Whopper. Again, it's not bad and if someone is looking for a meatless option it is a choice. I do think the fast food chains are just trying to disguise bad food as something good. :smile: But, it doesn't kill us if eaten infrequently.

I hope you have a wonderful trip. I always pack an overnight bag when traveling on the road and have to spend a night in a hotel. It makes it so much easier in the morning.

I think we can develop an antibiotic resistance to any type of antibiotic, if taken too frequently. And, it's great you have a great PC. Most docs want to run in and run out of the exam room. I hope mine doesn't decide to retire any time soon. I would hate to have to search for another.
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Machka, I watch Hallmark movies while riding my exercise bike. I love the workout ideas. One more should be every time the NYC visitor to the small town wears ridiculous high heels, an unbuttoned coat, and no hat out into the snow.

LOL!
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    Day 10
    I am most grateful for the taste of coffee this morning. It tells me I have been blessed with another day.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    We went through these 30 Days of Gratitude in November last year. I won't suggest that we do it again this year, but it is still something to keep in mind as we go into the holiday season. :)

mozs13csyrr4.png
    Machka in Oz

All right ... it's mid November and this will take us through to mid December ... just in time for Christmas!! :)

Day 1 - November 15 - Smell: My sense of smell is limited and my husband no longer has a sense of smell (or taste) since his accident. However, I can catch a faint scent from the roses and freesias he has grown, which are all coming into bloom.

I'm thankful that he has been able to garden and that we have so many lovely flowers and veggies growing and blooming. :)

Day 2 - November 16 - Technology: My laptop, my phone, email, facebook ... the fact that technology exists! :) It's what I do ... it's what I learn ... it's how I communicate with family and friends.

Day 3 - November 17 - Colour: Well ... I'm thankful for the bright colours on my table. Especially since this spring has been quite gloomy. They make me smile. :)

Day 4 - November 18 - Food: I'm thankful for my weekday lunches ... chicken, rice and veg. :)

Day 5 - November 19 - Sound: How applicable! I just got my laptop connected to my stereo!! I am appreciating the nice soothing music in the evenings. :)

Day 6 - November 20 - Nature: All of it! I am very thankful that there is nature ... animals and plants, water, rocks, mountains, hills, all of it. I'm glad I live in a place where I can see and experience nature. I couldn't live in the middle of a large city. My ideal would be in a small town or right on the edge of a larger one so I could be surrounded by countryside in seconds.

Day 7 - November 21 - Memory: I'm thankful for memory. I'm thankful that my husband has some of his memory - he's pretty good at past memories and procedural memories. I'm glad he didn't lose that. I'm also thankful that, with a bit of effort, I've been able to improve my memory a bit. I've discovered that if I focus and work at it, I can remember people's names at least some of the time! I've had to be my husband's memory.

Machka in Oz

Day 8 - November 22 - Book: Most grateful ... the Bible. It's been a comfort to me, especially in recent times.

Also grateful for books in general.

The last 18 months I've switched to reading "children's" books. I've also found them comforting.

Machka in Oz

Day 9 - November 23 - Place: I'm thankful for my bed!! Although I'm not there nearly as much as I'd like to be, my bed has become one of my favourite places to be. There I can lose myself in books or sleep. :heart:

That said, I need to get a new pillow. Might have to see about doing that tomorrow if possible.

Machka in Oz

Day 10 - November 24 - Taste! Well, there are only 4 of them: salt, sweet, bitter, sour, and I've written them in order of preference. :)

I am thankful I have all 4 but I wish my husband did again.

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Umami is another one recently identified, Machka. :p
    I'm very much a sour, salty person. Plus HOT chilli. Yum. <3:D<3:D
    When my mother lost her sense of smell/taste in her old age, the only thing she could taste was curry. She lived on frozen curries. My ex MIL started drinking Stones Ginger Wine as the spiceyness was all she could taste.

Started binge watching a new series on the BBC. Gold Digger. They've started showing the first episode of a series and then putting the whole series on iplayer. It's very addictive. ;)

Might get a 5k in today. Forecast is dry. I will try to take a photo of Dave Gilmore's monstrosity for KJ. :laugh:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,803 Member
    Options
    up having my tea.. but was awake 1/2 the night , who knows ugh.. will catch up with you all then go make the deviled eggs and start cleaning.. dont know how long the turkey breast will take and think I will thaw the frozen pearl onions for the creamed onions.
    I only work tomorrow and am off the rest of the week..
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    😁
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    Options
    Umami is another one recently identified, Machka. :p

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Had to look that one up ... they indicate foods like meat and tomatoes fall into "Umami". So in other words "Umami" is "metallic". :) Meat, tomatoes, and things like that taste what I've always described as "metallic" ... and it's why I'm not keen on meat and tomatoes unless they've got a lot of salt to try to bury the metallic taste.

M in Oz
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Michele ... are you saying that you had appointments and paid for a root canal and there is none present as indicated by a different dentist??
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    <3
    Machka- umami translates more as a savory taste; but I can see how your tastebuds would translate it as metallic, because all of the savory foods (meats, broths) can have a metallic taste to them due to the amino acids in it. Thank you for the Hallmark movie Challenge! lol I don't watch them, but I will send this along to my daughter. She has developed a bad habit with these movies!
    Heather- I completely understand your description of your young life in the Camden Town area. I guess when I describe my late teens and early twenties life/lifestyle it sounds adventurous and wild; in reality I was a scared and out of control kid and was living a somewhat self-destructive lifestyle. Like you, I am much, MUCH happier with myself, now. Def get a pic of the Gilmore place, if you can. It does seem odd that he would build in a busy area. Perhaps he has an alternative entrance?
    Luci- I lost my mother at age 26, as well. My father passed six months later. It does leave you feeling adrift. I am glad you have the lovely memories of her. It has been over 26 years since their passing, but there are times when I keenly feel the loss. Good memories are a balm.
    Michele- A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood- A very good movie. If you haven't read complete reviews; it is more about the journalist and his struggles and how meeting Fred Rogers helped him overcome them. But Tom Hanks, of course, is absolutely wonderful in this role. I brought a whole purse full of tissues, but only needed one during one certain part of the movie. I won't tell you about it; but just thinking about it puts lump in my throat and tears in my eyes. Touched my soul.

Well, I will be roasting my turkey today, as I will be using it only for sandwiches and other dinners (my family doesn't care for turkey) I don't know if I told you, our local market had a sale on turkeys last week ($.33/pound) so I got it for $5 and some change. Can't beat that price and turkey seems to be the meat of choice (behind chicken) of my daycare kids. So I figure I can get a few lunches for them out of this bird. This upcoming week is a short work week for me (Hooray!) but of course, holiday cooking is like setting a bunch of little land mines along the path I am walking. lol Tim asked me to make cinnamon rolls and Colin has asked for beer pretzel stuffing. Oh, and I got a pumpkin pie. Other than those, my meal itself, is pretty manageable (calorie wise). I am making the Curried Butternut Squash and Pear soup that I enjoy. It really satisfies the taste, texture, and filling part of my "food soul". With that as a starter, I will be able to limit the potatoes (another land mine for me) and focus on the meat and veg. I will be making the cinnamon rolls for the Friday after Thanksgiving, so that both Tim and Colin can enjoy those. Our older son, Darren, plans to be here that morning as well.
    So, my plan for today is to get that turkey roasted, get the lights up on the house (and the wreath hung with help from Colin), and I need to get my floors cleaned. Then, the day/evening is mine. Yea! Love to all of you ladies! Welcome to the new ones! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Michele ... are you saying that you had appointments and paid for a root canal and there is none present as indicated by a different dentist??

!!! Yikes! Michele I am with Beth, this is both scary and infuriating! You need to look into this! Check your dental records.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,423 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! B)

Skimming through, touching on a few.

Had a wonderful lunch on Friday with a couple girlfriends. One of them did the "Sugar Detox" class at our local college several months ago and has stayed with it. She's looking and feeling great. The other one has developed the habit of only having ONE piece of chocolate per day. She said sometimes it's hard limiting herself, but she has conquered its hold over her. She's a fan of James Clear, by the way.

This spurred me to rewatch "That Sugar Film" yesterday on Prime. And revisit my food diary during the summer of 2018 when I was doing so well, seeing how/what I was eating and keeping my weight in line, even losing without trying much. :( .

There have been several changes - I used to cook big roasts or chicken/veg or even spaghetti and meatballs on weekends, something we'd eat for days. I'd have my salad with a bit of that. Now, DH doesn't eat those things anymore so I've quit cooking en mass other than a big pot of lentil or chili for a week's worth of lunches.

Consequently, my "big" salad is different, not as satisfying, not filling me up like in 2018.

So I've been going through my recipes and will be making a big dish of chicken with veggies this afternoon for dinner. If DH doesn't want any, more for me. And when that's done Mini Meatloafs sound good - working on the grocery list, can you tell? B)

I have been hitting the strength training on a more regular basis which feels good. So I'm hoping to avoid Pip's boot!

Machka - interesting how your tongue perceives umami. As I age, I tend toward umami more it seems. Not necessarily meat and tomatoes, but things like cheese. Savory, like Kelly says. And crunch which isn't a taste but a texture I guess. Wish I could talk my tongue into sweets tasting metallic B)

Kelly - I see that Michigan is now a legal cannabis state. If Tim is really hurting, he might wander into a retail outlet and see what they carry as far as medical items which have both CBD and a bit of THC. Tinctures and drops so no smoking it. A couple of the creams I've purchased do a good job on headaches for me - rubbing a dab on the back of my neck. DH continues to smoke it for pain relief, wish he'd switch to tinctures or drops as his lungs aren't in great shape.

You all are making me hungry with your Turkey fixin's. My plan is to throw together a broccoli/cauliflower salad with grapes and walnuts which will be my contribution to the big feed at our friend's house. I used to make rolls but so many of them don't eat wheat products anymore.

Heather - so interesting the "stars" in your neighborhood when you were young. In 1969 I went to a peace rally (that was during my "hippie" years, lol) which was just a gathering of a bunch of kids who wanted to smoke pot I think. >:) Anyhow, there was a young man there who played the guitar and sang for the little group ... John Denver before he became famous, when he was more of just a street musician. I still love his music. Country roads, take me home....

Rebecca - I hope you are getting your dizzy spells under control. And that you hear from Owain in the near future. The British show I've been watching had a character on one episode with his name spelled "Owain" (thanks to closed captioning, lol). How did you pick that name/spelling for him? Just curious. :)

Rita - you look great!! I agree, both with and without glasses suits you fine.

OK, that's it for now. Time to let the dogs out.

Make it a fabulous Sunday! <3

Lanette
    SW WA State

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    fik4y5kuykzv.jpeg
    k5cc0zfstcjp.jpeg
    Example as you can see Daughter has pecs that stick out of her shirt well guess you call it pecs it’s muscular muscles above her breasts

Weight up by 3lbs since being sick with a sick baby. I’m not exercising or budgeting as well. Hopefully it will come off fast 💨.

Amber Tx

Trying to figure out why boys pants assume they have a large butt! No man in my family or hubby has a butt! Just silly they need to make pants with a B for butt y NB for no butt fits. Of course some Woman in another state wants to do away with girl y boy section have unisex only. Started by complaining to Target starting a Facebook war over it.Well then the government would have to do away with the current size charts boy y girl sz large are not the same at all.She wants skirts y dresses to be for boys too . Well then maybe others just want to run in grab y go not search for boy looking pants amongst the glittery butterflies 🦋. I got enough issues finding manly pants in the boys section anymore as it is without them combining it all. Or start a boy uni girl section so T-shirt plain are in the middle with jeans to other unisex outfits or better yet stop making sexy clothes for children to gym class required clothes available in both sections with unisex T-shirt rack so Women don’t have to go to the boys section! I don’t know being sick I get aggravated more I guess. I just cut tags off my Daughter shirts sent her to school she had to wear boys shirts she was muscular build like a gymnast the boys section carried the school gym clothes.I never thought nothing of it go over grab a superhero 🦸‍♀️ shirt to gym shorts 🩳 (cause girls were too short) buy go.Cut tags if needed. Everyone did it cause Daughter generation the girl section was ripped jeans,skinny jeans super tight,y short short up your buns short shorts.
    The shirts 👚 the teachers would accuse Daughters pecs showing (muscles she had an over her breasts she had a 8 pack too not a 6) of showing her boobs. Boy shirts just covered better so Daughter wasn’t so self conscious of Adults harmful words at 4yrs old. I’ve never seen another girl built like Daughter tho she was born muscular they joked I had a gym in there not a uterus when she cane out with Arnold swatzenagger calf’s. Luckily the Navy got onto her once she well grabbed a female officer walked into a private space showed her it stopped after that.They all know it’s muscular build now y she covers more than anyone. Daughter loves it when she finds high enough necklines to the right guy T-shirt to wear with her long sleeve jackets to shirts. Thought I’ll fitting clothes were over but now we have the No butt issues for JR even a belt won’t help lol it never has for any guy in my family lol 😂. The weight of the saggy infilled areas drag them down more.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    2191610q208gshr57.gif
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah tomorrow my official birthday 🎁 but no cake 🎂 hubby agreed it’s still a diet day since I’m sick just a shower 🚿 hopefully.
    Amber Tx
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    👋