WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2019

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    We went through these 30 Days of Gratitude in November last year. I won't suggest that we do it again this year, but it is still something to keep in mind as we go into the holiday season. :)

mozs13csyrr4.png
    Machka in Oz

All right ... it's mid November and this will take us through to mid December ... just in time for Christmas!! :)

Day 1 - November 15 - Smell: My sense of smell is limited and my husband no longer has a sense of smell (or taste) since his accident. However, I can catch a faint scent from the roses and freesias he has grown, which are all coming into bloom.

I'm thankful that he has been able to garden and that we have so many lovely flowers and veggies growing and blooming. :)

Day 2 - November 16 - Technology: My laptop, my phone, email, facebook ... the fact that technology exists! :) It's what I do ... it's what I learn ... it's how I communicate with family and friends.

Day 3 - November 17 - Colour: Well ... I'm thankful for the bright colours on my table. Especially since this spring has been quite gloomy. They make me smile. :)

Day 4 - November 18 - Food: I'm thankful for my weekday lunches ... chicken, rice and veg. :)

Day 5 - November 19 - Sound: How applicable! I just got my laptop connected to my stereo!! I am appreciating the nice soothing music in the evenings. :)

Day 6 - November 20 - Nature: All of it! I am very thankful that there is nature ... animals and plants, water, rocks, mountains, hills, all of it. I'm glad I live in a place where I can see and experience nature. I couldn't live in the middle of a large city. My ideal would be in a small town or right on the edge of a larger one so I could be surrounded by countryside in seconds.

Day 7 - November 21 - Memory: I'm thankful for memory. I'm thankful that my husband has some of his memory - he's pretty good at past memories and procedural memories. I'm glad he didn't lose that. I'm also thankful that, with a bit of effort, I've been able to improve my memory a bit. I've discovered that if I focus and work at it, I can remember people's names at least some of the time! I've had to be my husband's memory.

Day 8 - November 22 - Book: Most grateful ... the Bible. It's been a comfort to me, especially in recent times.

Also grateful for books in general.

The last 18 months I've switched to reading "children's" books. I've also found them comforting.

Day 9 - November 23 - Place: I'm thankful for my bed!! Although I'm not there nearly as much as I'd like to be, my bed has become one of my favourite places to be. There I can lose myself in books or sleep. :heart:

That said, I need to get a new pillow. Might have to see about doing that tomorrow if possible.

Day 10 - November 24 - Taste! Well, there are only 4 of them: salt, sweet, bitter, sour, and I've written them in order of preference. :)

I am thankful I have all 4 but I wish my husband did again.

Day 11 - November 25 - Holiday: How appropriate ... one month before Christmas. :) Christmas is my favourite public holiday. I'm love the music, the decorations, the food, the Christmas Carol evenings, the lights, and the celebration of Jesus birth. I'm thankful that we have a Christmas holiday.

As for holidays in general, I enjoy any opportunity to a) take time off work, and b) travel. I'm very thankful I live and work in Australia where I get quite a decent amount of holiday time. :)

Machka in Oz
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Rori What an interesting time that phase of your life must have been. I loved Shari Lewis & Lambchops. You could write a few books.

Karen in Virgina
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    tea in and I am catching up with you all... I watched Joyce yesterday morning which is todays program..
    going to hop in the shower and get dressed.. working 10-5 today and off the rest of the week
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Terri - Yes, so sad that our generation are now dying off. For a long time I had been lucky, in that I didn't know too many who had died, but now it is accelerating. I am sad about my friend, who visited recently, who has stage 4 lung cancer. He is doing really well on chemo and immunotherapy, but it is only a matter of time. He and his wife have been close to us and very supportive to me when I needed it years ago.

Barbara - it's not the sugar I don't like, it's when it's mixed with vinegar, as in ketchup or chutney. Sugar on its own is fine, although it's not my downfall as it can be for others. I do like very sweet things, like fudge. Millionaires' Shortbread is one of my very favourite things, but I only have it maybe once a year. I do have something sweet every evening as a finish to our meal. Luckily I can stop at one or two. Caramel/butterscotch flavours are delicious to me. Though I do love a cocoa dusted dark chocolate truffle. :o
    My downfall is stinky cheese and hummus. Especially hummus. :sad:

Holiday I'm most grateful for : That's easy - our wonderful Saga cruises. Just adore them. India and Sri Lanka were also amazing. I don't like bank holidays or seasonal holidays. Apart from Burns Night. :p

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    So much to catch up on when not reading for a couple of days. A couple of notes:

BananasandOranges -so you had disappointing news regarding employment situation. Being an adjunct makes it difficult to get any protections I guess, even though it sounds like you are in a union. I agree a tidy house feels better. Doing major clean of my place in preparation for Thanksgiving.

Amber – I think sinus infections are horrible-they really knock me out. Help antibiotics have kicked in. Hope you were able to enjoy birthday.

Rebecca – glad you posted grocery list-reminded me I forgot marshmallows. That would be major trauma for my son and his sweet potato casserole!

Tracey – thanks for sharing article.

Shirley in Northern NY – I have had both hips replaced and don’t have to take the antibiotics before dental procedures. Evidently thinking is changing on this that the risk of infection doesn’t warrant the extra exposure to antibiotics. Each doctor seems to be different on this-my dentist follows what my ortho says.

Terri – sorry for loss of your friends.

Luci – yes it is the week for “The Game”. I am always nervous for it, this year more than ever!

Have had productive weekend. All presents wrapped for Christmas (except fo gifts for three grandsons being delivered today). Have cleaned out and rearranged things in bedrooms (needed to get one cleaned up for son and gf to stay in, so tackled it all!). Need to finish some of that up today. May not be 100% but getting closer to how I want them.

Off work this week, though I am doing some work from home. Will need to stop in to sign paperwork a couple of times. Finishing ironing this am. Have pt at 11:30, then will take load to Goodwill and go to UPS store to ship packages to Arizona. Busy days but helps keep eating under control and get some additional exercise.

Have a good Monday all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Watching the Christmas Baking competition programs on TV has sparked some long absent Christmas Spirit in me. New puppy makes having a big tree impossible, but found a “just right” tiny tree, about 3 ft tall and cylindrical, that will fit on a small table in the corner of the dining room. Joe sawed off the end, put it in a bucket of water, and even suggested the location without grinch/grumbling. Woo HOO!

Happy birthday, Amber! Your daughter is lovely.
    Lanette I've heard of storing carrots in a bucket of sawdust in a cool but frost protected place, but don't know if it would work...;)
    pip gentle hugs to Yogi. Hope vet has a quick fix. Does Yogi chew rocks?
    Terri ((hugs)) sometimes it seems the reaper is extra busy during the holidays. :cry:
    Annie, too many cookies here too, and too many glasses of wine. Planing to moderate every day without a festivity to avoid gaining any more this year. We can do this.
    Machka, Vegemite! I'd as soon eat mould. Mama tried to fool me into eating stewed tomatoes by blindfolding me and pinching my nose closed. They came right back up onto her new wall-to-wall carpet. Blech. I too occasionally do housework during commercials, but it never seems to run out …
    Rori, I have sweet memories Shari Lewis and lamb chop, hope yours are too. Sending calming, hopeful, positive vibes for tomorrow's appointment.
    Heather, really wish I shared your dislike of the flavor of sugar.

Gratitudes Day
    #10 taste: today its fresh ice water. After too much wine it really tastes good. ;)
    #9 place: our property, all 15 vertical acres of it, woods, ferns, creeks, mud, brush, critters, peeks at the ocean and the way it smells when I get out of the car. “Home!”
    #8 book: To Build a Land by Sally Watson. Read this children's novel when I was 9. It was about a group of Jewish orphans transported to Israel after WWII. Identifying with one of the characters sparked a life long interest in archeology, Hebrew and ultimatly spurred me to visit the holy land in 1980.
    #7 memory: at holidays Papa told stories about his younger days, during Prohibition and the Depression (but never about WWII). I could repeat them almost word for word but enjoyed them every time. That's one thing I miss about not having family left for holiday get togethers.
    # 6 nature: the forest's scent and the ocean's clamour
    # 5 sound: Joe snoring
    # 4 food: Fage Greek Yoghurt
    # 3 color: blue skies after a gray rainy foggy couple of days.
    # 2 tech: my Win 7 laptop. Dread migrating to something newer/supported.
    # 1 smell: clean, bleached whites while transferring from washer to dryer.
    Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD! Word for November: get up and do it EVERY day!
    Steps=5460 vits=21.5 log=24 CI<CO=20, CI<250<CO=9 Tumble=14 mfp=23 AF=16

nope, he's not a rock chewer or eater
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
    I've decided I'm gonna drive in today cuz if I can get an appointment today for yogi, I can beat feet home in the car and take him
  • Machka9
    Options
    Barbara - it's not the sugar I don't like, it's when it's mixed with vinegar, as in ketchup or chutney. Sugar on its own is fine, although it's not my downfall as it can be for others. I do like very sweet things, like fudge. Millionaires' Shortbread is one of my very favourite things, but I only have it maybe once a year. I do have something sweet every evening as a finish to our meal. Luckily I can stop at one or two. Caramel/butterscotch flavours are delicious to me. Though I do love a cocoa dusted dark chocolate truffle. :o
    My downfall is stinky cheese and hummus. Especially hummus. :sad:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

We visited Scotland in 2012, and I discovered Millionaires' Shortbread and a Macaroni & Cheese that was unbelievable!!

It was a good thing we were only there for about 3 weeks!!

They try to make something like a Millionaires' Shortbread here, but it's just not good. The bottom layer is like cardboard, the caramel layer is as hard as rock and barely even sweet, and the chocolate layer on top is like plastic.

Fortunately they have the decency to call them Caramel Slice so as not to confuse them with real Millionaires' Shortbread.

Cocoa dusted dark chocolate truffles are a Christmas favourite of mine. :)

Machka in Oz
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Monday! I had a wonderfully lazy weekend. Well, kind of. I got everything done that I wanted to get done; except the hanging of the lights and the wreath. I got all of the lights out of their storage bin and plugged them in to test them and half of them were dead. Then I got the wreath ready (added a few new ribbons and sparkly things) and plugged that in and half of the lights on that were out as well. SO...I will need to hit the stores one evening this week. I will have all hands on deck on Thursday (all my guys here), so we will hang lights and the wreath after dinner. A good work out!
    Pip- Could he be bee-stung? Glad you are getting him in soon, poor guy!
    Lanette- I am still working on getting hubby to try cannabis in any form. He is so afraid he is going to be stoned and going to "lose brain cells". If only he realized how crazy, forgetful his RA meds make him! So far, (knock on wood) I don't have any ailments that require a medical marijuana script; otherwise I would get an oil for myself and have him try it.
    Heather- That is quite the home, Mr. Gilmore is having built! Wow! I would also agree with the fact that I bet he will have a studio built somewhere into it.
    On tomato sauces and canned items- I find all jarred and canned tomato sauces to be too salty. I find most canned items too salty and, when possible, I rinse the contents in cold water to lessen the saltiness. Since I began making my own sauces I have become spoiled when it comes to those. I like to control the amount and kinds of flavors. Not trying to toot my own horn, but I make a fantastic sweet lime/cilantro salsa. It is so good, in fact, that I don't make it anymore! lol It causes me to eat too many chips!
    Gratitude- Where am I? #9- Place: I am grateful for a little spot up in Empire, Michigan. My family's farm. Other than my home, it is where my soul feels at peace. #10-taste: I will always, always love the taste of coffee. I have tried to quit; but gave up on quitting. I even found an asiago cheese that has a coffee crust. Just lovely! #11- Holiday: I love Christmas. The only thing that prevents me from celebrating Christmas all year long, is the fact that doing so would make it less special. The only thing that evokes bad language out of me at Christmas time are the $@^&amp;^*# lights! Stringing them on the tree, having them be out, or go out after they are hung, then unstringing them and putting them away. Someday, if I have the money, I WILL hire someone to take care of the lights for me. Ugh!

Well, kiddos arriving soon. It is Monday and I am already wishing it was Wednesday. Not a good way to start the week. It is going to be a great day, it is going to be a great day, it is going to be a great day. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Day 11 - November 25
    I am most grateful for Thanksgiving. It is a universal holiday and is celebrated by all regardless of religion, color, background, or political affiliation. It's a day to remind us all to be thankful.
  • Machka9
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    The only thing that evokes bad language out of me at Christmas time are the $@^&amp;^*# lights! Stringing them on the tree, having them be out, or go out after they are hung, then unstringing them and putting them away. Someday, if I have the money, I WILL hire someone to take care of the lights for me. Ugh!

(Kelly)[/b]

I just drape mine on my trees.

I put up the trees, loosely drape the lights, then add tinsel and decorations. Taking them off is just a matter of finding an end and winding.

I also use LED lights which seem to have less chance of going out. The days of hunting through a line of lights for the one that went out are over. :) If one light goes out, that's OK.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Day 11 - November 25
    I am most grateful for Thanksgiving. It is a universal holiday and is celebrated by all regardless of religion, color, background, or political affiliation. It's a day to remind us all to be thankful.

When is the US Thanksgiving?

KJLaMore wrote: »
    Good morning all! Happy Monday! I had a wonderfully lazy weekend. Well, kind of. I got everything done that I wanted to get done ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

One day I hope to be able to say that!!

Machka in Oz
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Kelly your description of a lazy weekend cracks me up....that would be a busy weekend for me!!!!

NYKAREN
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    Options
    The only Millionaires' Shortbread I have had this year (and one of the very BEST ones ever) was from the station café on the way to see my friend recently. I changed trains and went to get a coffee. Oooops! They were obviously home made by someone, unwrapped, and just sitting there looking at me. Big pieces too! Absolutely heavenly. >:):D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Me with my 90 yr old grandma the Meanest aHead Nurse to roam a hospital ward lol 😂 her stubborn granddaughter me!
    2josmoqnj156.jpeg
    wex1ng4acs05.jpeg

It’s my Birthday 🎁.Dad doesn’t remember much but the day anymore man old dementia. On my birth I was premature by a lot back then no fancy NICU wonderful technology yet. My Dad was told to take me home to die enjoy the small time we had even if it was a few hours more. 26hours labor for Mom who was special needs who gave birth at 5pm dinner 🥘 time Thanksgiving day.She won a free Lobster 🦞 dinner best meal she ever ate she said even with Alzheimer’s at the end of her life she’d mention the only Lobster she ever had lol. Nurses had more hope for me cause I was the meanest head nurse in the hospitals granddaughter (Grandma stood up for the other nurses a lot she was a hero to them but they were afraid to look her way lol 😂). Went home Hearing the words I still remember Dad whispering in my ear 👂 as a tiny baby (“I forbid you to die on me”). He believed a child has to ovey by Gods law he was hoping I would obey my parents enough to not die.A mans only child hoping for a glimpse of hope. I was very ill 😷 but kept going y going y going.He was surprised when I said those words as I grew he couldn’t believe a baby could not just hear his plea but remember it ,but he was glad the fact many think a baby is born dumb blank slate is wrong. Mom thinking I was going to die ran in front of a car holding me (no one understood she thought I was to die so she wanted to be with me). Dad stopped her in time driver too. After that they kept me from her a lot. My grandfather said Prayers snuck me goat milk from his Native American y Spanish breed of goats 🐐. Grandma using a stethoscope 🩺 checked me writing ✍️ it down continuously.Aunt y Uncle who helped raise me paced the floor with me. Dad came home from work would put me skin to skin on his chest fall asleep on the couch all night long.More family in y out with remedies to help. I grew bigger y bigger but my organs remained smaller until steroids as an adult finally they grew adult sized in my 30’s. Bone growth steroids into my teens.Chronic stomach conditions Mom used to treat my diaper rashes with desitin (one thing she was great at was that) y air my bottom out. Dad gave my baths. Then proudly at a few weeks old I had survived so Mom went into get my photos taken .Dad made sure we were seated 🪑 went to get clothes for me y mom (same place). The man was rude to mom a jerk called her the “R” word (those with special needs grandkids y kids understand how horrible that word hurts them so). When he said smile baby 👶 I smiled like my Mean old Grandma 👵 spirit.... turned my little hand up huge smile biggest ever middle finger 🖕 up at him on one hand. Mom laughed y laughed always told me about the first of many times I stood up for her. They took more pictures the man visibly upset y mad 😡 as Dad came in .Mom told him he said “Good!” “ That’s my Girl!” Lol 😂. The Odessa Texas hospital 🏥 posted that picture all over the hospital with the words meet Head Nurse Mollies New Grand Daughter (My middle finger 🖕 big grin proudly displayed for even customers to see) Lol 😂 the older Doctors 🥼 still laugh to this day with her about it. Too stubborn to die they said cause I was Mollies granddaughter! Grandma still keeps that picture. Mom kept the picture where I was locked y loaded with a look that told you I knew what I was about to do my middle finger 🖕 down ready to turn it up for over 5minutes long at the jerk. Mom said I kept glaring at him lol. Passed that spirit to my Daughter lol 😆. I’d upload the pic but sure it’s against the MFP rules lol 😆. Was told I couldn’t my whole life to won’t be able too.I proved all those wrong. Died 4Xs always came back for more. Too stubborn to die lol 😂 should have made stubborn my middle name. Survived good y bad. Hopefully more to come until God is ready for me to come. Praise God the world no matter how chaotic has us all to make it a better place.

Amber Tx

Extreme throat tickles but heads not pounding luckily.Thanksgiving coming quickly. JRs well lets keep it that way.
    Diet was great yesterday hopefully same today. Still not where I was but lost a pound of my gain.
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    There is a fresh cranberry salsa with chopped cranberries, onion, jalapeño, lime juice, salt, and cilantro served with blue tortilla chips that I adore. The salt cuts the pucker. So delicious.

Shortbread is one of my favorite things in the entire world. I don't know about Millionaire's Shortbread.

Karen in Virginia
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    I just looked up Millionaires' Shortbread.

Shortbread topped with caramel and chocolate.

It sounds divine!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Day 11 - November 25

Some in the Native American culture do have a different take on Thanksgiving similar to Columbus Day.

Personally I do think it is important to be looking at past through different cultures and viewpoints. I like to reexamine things that do not fit our current views. Rather I like to examine why were those views held at that time, and how they have changed. An example for me in a story I read to children called Be Nice to Spiders. I would have them look closely at the zookeepers and ask who is missing. It is women. I would explain there was a time when woman were not zookeepers. (The book was writen in the sixities.) Now we know better and know women make wonderful zookeepers.

Macha in the U.S. it is the fourth Thursday in Novemeber. I was born on Thanksgiving and share my day with my brother who is exactly four years older than me. My birthday does not always fall on Thanksgiving because the date changes year to year.

:heart: Margaret
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,405 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday ladies! <3

I saw something eerie and startling in today's dark morning sky when I let the dogs out at 5:45. We don't get much light pollution so the stars are visible. For some reason I looked up into the sky and a string of lights were moving toward the ENE at a high rate of speed. The few minutes I was out with the dogs I must have seen a couple dozen, all in a single line.

According to the internet, they are the first of Elon Musk's twelve thousand planned Starlink Internet Satellites. The night sky will never be the same. We can tell our grandkids and great grandkids we remember when there were only stars in the night sky. Kind of sad, to me. The price of progress. :(

Now I see what Musk has been up to instead of fixing my teleporter. :s

Rori, by all means write a book about your Hollywood job! Loved Shari and Lambchop and I wonder if that was the root of my obsession with sheep and lambs for so many years, lol. B)

Pip
    - crossing fingers nothing seriously wrong with Yogi! You and Kirby have seen way too much of the veterinarians this year. Keep us posted!

Found a new detective author similar to David Baldacci and Harlan Coben: Matt Coyle - and Rick Cahill is his detective. Fast moving, good plotting. Have a number of his books on order from the library.

That's the latest. Time to walk. B)

Make it a fabulous day, ladies <3

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Ladies I need to catch up as DD and DGD been here this weekend.
    Need to ask advice my smart scale says I have Muscle Mass 84.6lb and Skeletal Muscle 39.4% I don't understand anyone explain

Kate UK <3