February 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited February 2020
    @mbaker566 I know a kid that has a support dog, and he puts little booties on him for lab classes. He says the dog doesn't like it and it makes his mood kind of frumpy. But it is for short time and he's okay with it. I bet the dog would be okay with it for a bit especially with the distraction of being outside. I wonder if liquid Band-Aid would be sufficient in place of shoes.
    Good luck, I know pets can be a little bit difficult.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    shanaber wrote: »
    Surf City HM Race report - it is long so I put it in the spoiler so you don't have to read it all if you don't want to. Short version - It was cool, foggy/cloudy and lovely running. I had fun as planned and did better than I expected. Not a PR but better than I have run in the last couple of years.

Great job!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited February 2020
    @shanaber
    we have a large VA community and often have racers with the full flag. sometimes they run with a ruck sack or in chains too.

i see them struggle with the perpetual wind off the lake. i can only imagine with an ocean.

i've thought about doing a running vacation and doing that half. it looks so nice
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    12k run, slightly pushing the pace. Did the same route 8 minutes faster than last week, and got some mud on my shoes. But the "toes falling asleep" thing is back. Definitely the Asics. Bummer, I liked those shoes.

February goal 100 miles (stretch goal 200 km)

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    Feb. 8 - Lublin night 10k

Try a wide? I find I need a wide fit shoe or my little toe goes numb. And apparently most women are a "wide" fit.

I will change the way I lace these, use them for shorter runs only, and go back to the Brooks for everything else. I bought these over a year ago on clearance, and they were fine until about 7k.

@LoveyChar this might not be what you want to hear, but IMO marathons are not good for losing weight. I would take a "maintenance break" for the next 3 or 4 weeks - no extra workouts, try to maintain your weight or keep any gain within reason. Get to the race healthy and recover well, then get back to weight loss if needed.

In my case, I gain about 5 lbs per marathon. I usually lose it pretty quickly once I get back to normal activity level and normal eating (neither of which are happening towards the end of marathon training).

@shanaber Great race! I enjoyed your report!

Thank you! I can't lose any more weight because I'm in the lower end of average as it is now. But I wanted to run light. I don't want to gain before but I don't mind if I gain after. I'm thinking you've gained muscle weight, not fat! And thank you, I won't exercise more than what my training plan calls for.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    @shanaber Very nice!!!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,956 Member
    edited February 2020
    Great job and race report @shanaber ! I hope it isn't your last HM. Glad you enjoyed it.

Ran outside today, as it was 66°F with only a slight breeze. I wasn't fast, 11:43/mile, but it was a good run. I would like to get a tad faster for my long runs. I managed 4 miles run/walk and another mile of walking as my warm up and cool down. The last mile I played around with fartleks a little. I was getting bored. LOL Total traversed today was 5.01 miles.

exercise.png
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    @shanaber Great race and an excellent report.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,708 Member
    @shanaber - congratulations on your half! That one is on my list of destination races.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    @shanaber I’m glad you had a good race!