March 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,336 Member
    Options
    @ConraryMaryMary Congratulations on a great race and that's a sweet picture!
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,336 Member
    Options
    @noblsheep Thank you... And I love your positive attitude and black cat, so pretty...
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,028 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo I have the Forerunner 35 which is a pretty basic model so you probably do have the virtual pacer.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    So I ran the Maraetai Half this morning - the fourth in my series of five (the last one is in three week's time!).

It was a perfect day here - early autumn, so cool and clear and deathly still. Absolutely stunning day and, as the race was in rural Auckland by a fairly isolated beach, beautifully scenic.

The course was basically an out and back - fairly flat and fast, however, the turnaround was actually a loop over a very steep hill with a gravel track. That hill was the undoing of many - myself included.

I started well, watching my watch carefully to make sure I wasn't going out too fast. My coach had advised 5:15-5:30 pace for the way out, however, for the first time since about November, I was feeling totally pain free (damned achilles finally coming right), and super energised, so my pace for the first 10k was 5:15ish or a smidge faster.

Then I hit the hill. It was waaaay steeper than I expected. About 800m up, a brief reprieve and then up, even steeper for another 400m. I did ok on the first climb but misjuded it, thinking it was the whole climb. The second bit killed my legs and I was forced to walk for 100m or so. Then came the downhill, which was even steeper and on loose gravel which made for another slow kilometre.

Then it was the final 8k home back on the road. Here, I was supposed to run 5:05 to 5:15 pace and I almost did - mostly around 5:15, some faster, some slower - and I had to push to maintain this pace. However, there was a small climb at kilometre 20 which I really struggled on (confession: I walked for about 10m).

But I survived it and finished in a respectable 1:54:33, beating my friend by exactly one second (!).

I have great hopes for the final half - this one is dead flat the whole way and I'm hoping for a new PB. Fingers crossed the weather and how I feel are the same as today!

Finish line pic:
    xnx4pya9kk8d.jpeg

Whoot whoot! Love it!

PS was checking out the Auckland marathon... Sorely tempted...
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Thanks @LoveyChar I hope your daughter heals fast.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Great to hear from you @noblsheep !
    noblsheep wrote: »
    @Elise4270 Thanks for the video. I wonder why the attitude toward face masks in so different East vs. West... interesting.

I do not know about China, at all. I am sure what I do know from movies is wrong :) I do not know, but I suspect it is because here in USA masks are associated with bad actors and have been for generations. If you are covering your face you are automatically untrustworthy. For many, it is completely unconscious, but it is prevalent throughout the culture.

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @ConraryMaryMary Congratulations! It's great to see someone on here racing :)

Yeah seriously! Well done!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options
    @ConraryMaryMary Congratulations! It's great to see someone on here racing :)

Yeah seriously! Well done!

Even if I somehow deleted a letter from her name! Now how did I do that?

Also a big Thank You to @noblsheep for the encouragement! Glad things are going back to normal for you.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    @noblsheep yes, thank you for your voice of reason! Over here it's the zombie apocalypse, and toilet paper is the currency. So, so idiotic.

@Elise4270 thanks for the video. It was very informative.

@ContraryMaryMary really great race. I do see a PB in your future for the last race of the series.

@PastorVincent I think you are making the right call not attending services. Our church cancelled live services and is only doing online (for this Sunday), but likely for the next few weeks.

My son is supposed graduate from Texas A&M in early May, and as of now, they haven't cancelled that. But I won't be surprised if that happens.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,118 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 Thanks for the video. The part about the faulty plumbing in apartment buildings is just so gross! It's good to be informed and have credible information. I know they are wanting to "lower the curve" with social distancing, but sometimes it feels like they are going a little too far. And, if it works, everyone will probably say it wasn't necessary, but, in reality, that would be why the outbreak wasn't too bad. (I feel like I'm talking in circles. Hope that's understandable.)

@noblsheep Thanks for the pep talk from someone who has been there, done that.

Congratulations on your race @ContraryMaryMary . It sounds like parts were really tough, but you hung in there and got it done with an excellent pace. You're gonna kill the last one!

@kgirlhart I have the Forerunner 235. Plan to look into the virtual pacer later today.

@polskagirl01 Now he's standing in the hole? I would definitely be curious. Maybe even enough to ask him what he was doing. Looks like a beautiful place to run.

@PastorVincent I think you made the right decision. The United Methodist Churches here were "mandated" by the Bishop to cancel live services, but continue to use the on-line method. A few churches, including mine, decided to still have some of their services live, but encouraged those in the high risk categories to stay home and join by radio or on-line. I chose to stay home. I guess, in theory, I am high risk as I am over 60, barely, have a heart murmur, have an aortic aneurysm, and have high blood pressure (controlled). I don't feel like I'm high risk though. I do want to take precautions to not carry it to my mom and dad. Dad is especially high risk, even though he is doing great for 88 years old.

• kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    @LoveyChar - I'm sorry to hear about your daughter. Hopefully she isn't afraid of dogs going forward.
    My first Doberman was very chill and just looked intimidating. The Great Dane I had at the same time was the one I had to be very careful with. He was great when I took him to the nursing home to visit my Dad but on walks he was always on alert and didn't like people or dogs coming near him. He did lunge at 2 people who came in into my home so I knew the potential was there. My current Doberman fixates on people and other dogs so I am always extra careful with him when we are out. He did bite my husband on the butt to protect me, as a warning, but didn't break the skin. I am always shocked at people who just walk up to a dog they don't know and try to pet them.
  • kimlight2
    Options
    @PastorVincent - I think you made the right decision. You need to set a good example but you also need to take care of yourself.

@skippygirlsmom - welcome back!

@ContraryMaryMary - It still sounds like a great race. Congratulations on beating your friend.
  • kimlight2
    Options
    My goals for 2020 are to stay injury free and healthy. I am also possibly going to try again for my first half marathon.

3/2 - 3.1 miles
    3/3 - 3.9 miles
    3/4 - 2.6 miles
    3/5 - 4.1 miles
    3/6 - 2.5 miles
    3/9 - 4.0 miles
    3/10 - 2.2 miles
    3/11 - 3.0 miles
    3/12 - 2.5 miles
    3/14 - 8 miles total

Total- 35.9 miles - 2.1 miles behind for the month.

March goal : 80 miles
    Plan goal: 86 miles

Allowing some leeway for bad weather and life happening.

Races:
    March 14:
    St. Malachi 2 mile and 5 mile (Done and Done)
    May 16:
    Cleveland Marathon Half and 5k
    June 13 - 14:
    Run and Ride Cedar Point 5k or Quarter Marathon
    September 20:
    Cleveland Hero's Run 5 miler
    December 5:
    Santa Hustle Cedar Point 5k
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    noblsheep wrote: »
    0315-10.3k, total-47.0k goal-100k

@Elise4270 Thanks for the video. I wonder why the attitude toward face masks in so different East vs. West... interesting.

I could only speculate. Our population density is less and we can mostly stay 1-2 meters (3-6ft) from one another. The droplet size doesn't stay suspended for long and merely lives a day on surfaces. It tends to incite panic here. There are some that do wear them, probably immune compromised like cancer treatment folks. I heard that even the respirators available to thwart paint fumes when painting are gone. And of course, the availability of masks are short and should be reserved for those most at risk for contact, our health care workers.

I am amazed at the amount of people finally washing their hands though. Perhaps this will put a dent in the flu numbers too.

I wonder if we are going to do this every March now??? sweet march break every year? stock up, get your training runs in, stay away from people. gah! my introvert looooovvveeeesss that! I cant wait to have the world to myself! haha! although I wont be running for a bit longer. I may have to embrace the suck of cycling.

@PastorVincent we still have mass. I think that just an unnecessary risk. I'm sacristan this month and if i weren't I'd have bailed. Protect the people.

Glad everyone loved the video.