WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2020

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,056 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up on the C2C crochet, Cheri - That looks like something I could definitely work with. I know a few stitches, but the complex patterns make me a little nutso. :) Now, where did I put that graph paper? Your Project Linus afghans look wonderful...

Ginny - tough memories, much support and many hugs coming your way. I try so hard not to remember the anniversaries of pain, and celebrate the good memories, but they sneak in on you anyway.

Yesterday, we got the upright freezer that I ordered May 1, and got everything shifted over. Simply impossible to tell what's there in a small chest freezer stuffed to the top. And by the time I get to the bottom, I nearly fall in, so even worse. :p

Did find a few vegetables (green beans and carrots) from last year this time, right down at the bottom of the chest freezer, and chicken soup base, so will see if I can get a vegetable soup made and canned this afternoon, or at least made and cooled down.

FAR too hot to even think of soup for dinner, so will have to store it/freeze it, but at the moment I'm just procrastinating getting in there to do my exercise. Then I have to water everything, as it's a dry hot week/weekend ahead.

Forgot! Non-scale victory... Had to order bras yesterday, as all my medium ones are getting too large, not supportive enough. Not exactly overendowed at this weight, and happy for it.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

They do sneak in on you anyway.

This happened to me in the wee hours yesterday morning. I was awake at 0230 and suddenly inexplicably started crying about Sara, the daughter of a friend/colleague, born stillborn 5 years ago. I was thinking 'what in the world'? then remembered she was born in July on my birthday.

Then, and only then, did it occur to me that I lost my baby Joy in July 1992…so I think I had to cry about Sara to be able to think about Joy…anyway, I sent a message to my friend (Sara's mother) and she wrote back to tell me that early yesterday morning, as she was drifting in an out of that delicious early morning sleep, her daughter Emma was on her bed playing with her dolls, having pretend conversations.

Here is the message she sent me: "This morning Emma was in bed playing while I was semi-asleep. She had her dolls and was pretend playing. They were talking to each other and I heard her say “Joy, let’s go play.” We know no one named Joy nor has she ever used that name in pretend play before. Then I saw your message."

:'(<3o:)

Karen in Virginia

Karen I am so sorry for your loss. :heartbreak:

Karen what a special message. I do believe there is something that ties us all together. Like getting Drew on the anniversary of my Dad's passing. My dad was a complex man and he was one tracked once he got going but I will never forget when I spent the weekend with him to give my mom a break. She felt she couldn't leave him alone that long. He was lying on the bed and I asked him what was the most important thing in your life. I expected his response to be his theory. He was a chemist and he would drone on to any body that was in front of him. Instead he said us (his children) was the most important thing in his life. Thank you Karen for helping me remember such a special memory.

Heather sorry about Kate. :heartbreak:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Tracey: I’m not real happy with the CBD product I bought because I can't measure the dose. It is in a spray bottle, so I spray the dog's dogfood with the CBD oil. I don’t have a clue how big the dose of CBD oil is, and that is worrisome. I don’t plan to buy this brand again. CBD oil is not inexpensive. :noway:
    @ My husband was diagnosed as diabetic more than 50 years ago and is doing well at managing his diabetes. His family doctor didn’t know what was wrong with him, and the diagnosis came from his good friend, a local veterinarian. There are a lot more options for diabetic management now than 50+ years ago. DH is type 1 and needs to take insulin daily. Type 2 can use pills. That is the depth of my understanding. I hope your DH’s doctor can help with the learning curve or find some sort of class that you can both take together to learn how to manage diabetes. :flowerforyou:

Rita: Better tell ET that smoking can shorten his life. Beer is healthier for both of you. :wink:

Cheri: Your afghans are glorious! Project Linus is such a good cause. :heart:

Machka: CONGRATULATIONS!!! Is there any opportunity for you to take a breather and get some personal rest time? Sending warm thoughts your way for your night in the hospital. :flowerforyou:

Lisa: Long ago we had a chest freezer. I went off to work, and DD fell into it trying to get a frozen turkey out to thaw before she left for school. That led to a bunch of scary “what if” thoughts about how bad it could have been. We bought an upright freezer and moved the food into it. We still have that freezer plus another upright. We dragged the (cleaned) chest freezer out to our driveway with a “free” sign on it. It was gone within hours. :star:

Melissa: Welcome! ‘One day at a time’ is an excellent motto. Stop by often to give and get support. :flowerforyou:

I’m planning to ride my tryke in the garage for an hour or so. I’ve been too sedentary the past few days and it is time to get active.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka: CONGRATULATIONS!!! Is there any opportunity for you to take a breather and get some personal rest time? Sending warm thoughts your way for your night in the hospital. :flowerforyou:

Right there ... you've mentioned my opportunity to take a breather and get some personal rest time. That's what my night in the hospital will be.

Other than that ... not till October.

M in Oz

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    A little iffy about tonight. We’re going to a baby’s 1 year birthday party. I know the people won’t be social distancing but I was there since the little girl was born. Kind of a grandmother to her. Probably be a bunch of 20 somethings there. That’s what bothers me. Oh well, I’ll stay my 6 feet away and carry Hand sanitizer. I’ll post a picture tomorrow.

RV Rita
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,708 Member
    Options
    I fell back asleep. Not feeling 100% today but need to go to the triple A office and get my license done..
    Have to be over at 3
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,955 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Lisa <3 Early third trimester. So has Heather lost a baby, and I know at least one more here…maybe others I don't know about. It redefines your entire existence. Joy would be 28 this year.

mine would be 36- We don't know if it was a boy or girl- only 12weeks along- we feel it was a girl and refer to her as Heidi. Only pregnancy for me. Adopted my son 22 yrs ago after years of fertility treatment.
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Welcome Melissa :) Where are you based?
    Your plan sounds doable, but the disease sounds awful. So sorry. I took up running very late in life, so I know how you must miss it. Is swimming possible where you are?

Hello and thank you (thank you ALL! Wow, this group is busy!) for the welcome! I live in central Florida, USA, so swimming is definitely possible! :smiley: In fact, it is possible almost all year round! I do enjoy swimming, but not as much as my beloved running. I am starting slowly right now and am focusing on movement: my stationary bike doesn't seem to mind!

Today is day 3 of logging calories again and eating lower calorie density foods. The scale has already dropped 6 pounds of water weight, which proves that my body was not happy!

I work full time from home (and have done so for the past 7 years, so it is not just pandemic-related), which can be a blessing and a curse when it comes to weight loss goals. One day at a time!

Hope everyone has a fantastic day!

Melissa

I agree- working from home is a blessing and a curse in many ways- I have been a daycare provider/preschool teacher for the past 38 yrs. Trying to stay on track with my eating while in the kitchen almost constantly is hard. Depending on the kids, there were a lot of years of in the kitchen making breakfast,snack,lunch, snack, dinner for the kids then also add in for the family- Very easy to just have a nibble of this or that while prepping their food.That, along with the fact I stopped caring(very low point the past few years)- together made gaining sneak up on me- 174 I think was my highest when I was always 105-110at most. 139 and very slowly going down. It sure is a lot harder to loose it this time.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,217 Member
    Options
    Dlfk - So sorry about your only pregnancy. I have a good friend who had the same experience and it is still a grief. She never had any children and I know she really wanted them. It makes it a little bit difficult to boast about my grandchildren. I don't often talk about them with her. :'(

Zoom was great. :D My difficult friend is off to France this evening on the ferry. Overnight cabin. Then she has at least a 7 hour drive in front of her. She hasn't done it on her own for many years. She is 71. Braver than me! She has a house in the deepest countryside near Limoges. Her strange husband is there, though he shouldn't be, because of his tax exile status. I wish her luck.

Cooking Mediterranean vegetables with feta tonight.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • dlfk202000
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Dlfk - So sorry about your only pregnancy. I have a good friend who had the same experience and it is still a grief. She never had any children and I know she really wanted them. It makes it a little bit difficult to boast about my grandchildren. I don't often talk about them with her. :'(

Zoom was great. :D My difficult friend is off to France this evening on the ferry. Overnight cabin. Then she has at least a 7 hour drive in front of her. She hasn't done it on her own for many years. She is 71. Braver than me! She has a house in the deepest countryside near Limoges. Her strange husband is there, though he shouldn't be, because of his tax exile status. I wish her luck.

Cooking Mediterranean vegetables with feta tonight.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Thank you!!
    What made it even more difficult at the time was my older sister had her third(third father, only married to the first, then went on to have two more by we think the same father but aren't sure) kept going on and on about her new baby. My first hubby and I did all the "right things"(saved ourselves for our wedding night, had a home, etc) and couldn't even have one and she just kept popping them out. I always wondered if she was really that clueless and not seeing how much her actions were hurting me or if she was kind of doing it to rub it in my face.
    Growing up, I wanted to do nothing more than be a wife and mom- I didn't want a career. I planned on marrying my jr. high sweetheart, have a few kids and just be happy with him and them.

Debbie
    Napa Valley, CA

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,790 Member
    Options
    Ginny--sending prayers and hugs.
    Cheri--So many beautiful afghans. And for such a beautiful cause.
    Machka--Sending prayers and hugs, you have so much going on all in short amount of time.
    We also lost our baby in Aug 1989. She would be 31 this year.
    We had 4 new windows put in our house last week and I am very happy how they turned out. Now want to get the 2 in front of house done before winter.
    Well another HOT day. I am not doing well with the heat this year. So stay inside as much as I can. My friend at the home, her oldest daughter is on the way to visit her. Be the first time in 9 years since they have seen each other. My firend Sam has never met her husband or 2 boys. I have been talking to the case worker about setting up an outside visit in the home court yard. They could wear masks and keep apart. I pray they can work it out.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Margaret: What a charming little dog! I think she’ll be a great addition to your family and an excellent companion for your son. :star:

Dlfk/Debbie: My mom had several miscarriages prior to me. They caused her great sorrow. She was the baby of four girls. Three of them, mom included, had only one child. The fourth adopted a baby girl. I’m glad you were able to adopt your son. I imagine it is a blessing for both of you. :heart:

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,457 Member
    Options
    💖
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Margaret: What a charming little dog! I think she’ll be a great addition to your family and an excellent companion for your son. :star:

Dlfk/Debbie: My mom had several miscarriages prior to me. They caused her great sorrow. She was the baby of four girls. Three of them, mom included, had only one child. The fourth adopted a baby girl. I’m glad you were able to adopt your son. I imagine it is a blessing for both of you. :heart:

my mom also had many miscarriages between my older sister and I. It is possible that the medication they gave her so she didn't miscarry me is what caused my problems but we don't know for sure.
    My son is the best thing in my life for sure. All the things that they tell you when taking the classes for fostercare/fost-adopt that will never happen did with us. He was only a week and a half old, healthy, both parents relinquished at birth(they were very young). He was a little preemie but otherwise perfect. I still remember the exact conversation I had with our worker, Marie- "would you like to meet and pick up your son tomorrow?" 24 hrs from that call we picked him up- a tiny, 5lb bundle with a TON of black hair(first hair cut was at 6 months because we got tired of people coming up to me and saying SHE is so cute). My husband didn't care if we had kids or not- he didn't really do anything with our son until he was like middle school and even then not much(those were rough years) but now that he is an adult, he likes spending time with him. I was the one taking him to the park by myself, playing ball, what ever. His loss.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,553 Member
    Options
    lolo121212
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    Did a Tracy Long Defining Lines DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Gilad Total Body Plus DVD. This is a new one for me.

I was afraid I wouldn’t get my workout in. As I was downstairs I heard Steve get up. He did say something last night about getting up at 6 but since he went to bed late I didn’t think he would. But he did. I didn’t think he’d like seeing me in my grayed sports bra and underwear so I went upstairs to put on some clothes. But after he left I did the DVD.

Cheri – I love how the ones that looks like it’s blocks that are put together. Is there a uTube video of how this is done? If so, what would I search on?

M – sending good thoughts for your mom and you

Karen VA
    – (((hug)))

Sara
    – welcome!

Cut the weeds (aka green supposedly grass) then went and bought more gas

My mother had three miscarriages before she had me. I believe it had to do with the Rh factor. She was probably negative. Back then they didn’t know to give the rhogam before the birth of the child. So, in essence, she might have killed the baby without even knowing it. Then, of course, if the other children were positive (which most people are), her negative made the problem. I probably survived because I’m negative.

Michele NC
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Michele I used these videos on YT.

9h8gib4yizpk.jpg

Super easy once you get hang of it. A great way to use up scraps of skeins from other projects.

Cheri
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,708 Member
    Options
    went to the Triple A office and still didnt have the right thing,,,so off I go tomorrow... again.. oh well
    You will all get a chuckle... I love watching Little house on the Prairie and the Waltons,
    well Alison Arngrim who played Nellie Oleson on her facebook page has been reading the little house books, and Dean Butler(Alamanzo) does some of the reading too so much fun to watch the videos of the reading and believe it or not I bought a bonnet.. so I am now a bonnethead he he he..
    laid low this afternoon,,, and will go back to triple A tomorrow