WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: I love the photos of Yogi-especially the ones with Santa & the Fisherman. 🎅😊
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 20min 43sec,1.73ap, 184elev, 5.84mi= 675c
    Strava app = 708c
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,129 Member
    Options
    🙋‍♀️ I’ve not had much time today. We were up and out early for groceries, the we decided to go for a walk, as weather was due to worsen after lunch. Lots of little chores needed doing.

Covid Vaccinations have started here. Not sure how long it will take until it’s our turn. Probably not until the new year, as they are working down through the age groups.

More unasked for advice:
    1. Plan your menus, and use the plan to make out your shopping list. (When I was teaching I had a month’s menus planned in advance, so I always knew what I was going to cook.)
    2. Measure/weigh food portions. (Guestimates and eyeballing portions are notoriously inaccurate)
    3. Log all your food/beverages, preferably in advance. (I copy my day’s log to the following week, and adjust amounts when I am serving out portions)
    4. If you slip up, own it and move on. We’re only human, and guilt is such an unproductive use of time and energy.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    Worked today. Work tomorrow.

Allie – what happens if you go into afib again? Did they give you any “tricks” to do to convert your heartrate back to normal?

Yea M!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just read in the paper that grocery stores are exempt from this 10-5 mandate. It seems a lot of other things are, too. So what is this supposed to accomplish?

Barbie – (((HUG))) Glad it wasn’t something real serious

Evie – most stores here have changed their hours, too. They SAY it’s so they can restock and clean. To be honest, I really don’t see a difference in cleanliness or stocked shelves. I’m thinking that the reduced hours are just the stores way of saving money (they don’t have to pay the worker or the utilities)

Azalea and Sandy and MB – welcome!

Mary – so good to see you. How’s Shep?

Linda – So good to see you. Welcome back!

I like to at least plan what we’re going to have for dinner the night before. Ideally, I like to plan the week before so that I know what I need when I go shopping. But with Jess and Colby here, that’s real hard if not impossible.

Great Christmas Light Fights on tonight. Want to take a shower before watching it.

Michele NC
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,129 Member
    Options
    Pip: Really living thee life. 😂
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    Options
    Michele Shep is now with my daughter and son-in-law living at their horse ranch. He loves it there.
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,457 Member
    Options
    Mary, Nice to see you! I am now an OMADER and loving it. Most days are eating between 12 noon and 4 pm, one meal and a smaller snack. I nurse a coffee so I try to be done nursing a coffee by 4pm. I guess you could officially state I am a 20/4 IMer. I use to deal with a skin condition taking steroid cream to deal with it, but that has all but gone into remission. So I believe my fasting has helped a great deal. :-)
    Hugs,
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    Namaste – good for you stopping when you did! I’m very proud

Michele NC
    good night everyone
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    Options
    Rebecca I usually eat one main meal then the rest of my calories as snacks very similar to what you do! I'm glad to hear that IF helped with your skin! IF you remember I started because of my Chronic Lyme's disease. Great health benefits <3
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,457 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Rebecca I usually eat one main meal then the rest of my calories as snacks very similar to what you do! I'm glad to hear that IF helped with your skin! IF you remember I started because of my Chronic Lyme's disease. Great health benefits <3

Fasting has magical qualities. I feel like I have a fountain of youth access pass. <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,216 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Thanks Cathy for the link. I've subscribed. I used to love line dancing on the cruises, quite the highlight of the trip! 9 am every sea day. B)
    I have to be careful, because of my knee and gluteal strain, but should be able to do it gingerly. :D
    I really miss dancing. We used to go to Lindyhop classes once a week. :'( I've danced most of my life, including modern ballet and jazz dance. DH is a reluctant partner and may not go back. I hope my aches and pains will clear enough for me to enjoy it when it starts up again.

Thanks again, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,889 Member
    Options
    We eat quite a large quantity of veggies too. They are part of lunch, dinner and sometimes even snacks. We get fresh veggies from the garden or fresh fruit and veg markets and frozen veggies from the supermarket.

Tips that have worked for me
    Put your current numbers into MFP
    Select sedentary as your activity level
    Choose how much you'd like to lose (i.e. 1 lb/week)
    MFP will give you the number of calories to eat
    Eat those calories
    ... and weigh (with food scale) and log every bite.

A few extra things have helped me along the way:

1) Exploring my grocery stores and markets to find delicious, filling low calorie foods. It's amazing what's out there.

2) Exercising as much as possible. Exercise gives me extra calories to work with so that I can have things like pizza now and then ... but to keep my sanity and not wear myself out, my exercise quantity varies as does what I do for exercise.

Also, I tend not to eat all my exercise calories back.
    If I've just done a little bit of exercise like a 3 km walk or something, I'll eat about 50% of my calories back.
    If I've done a moderate amount of exercise like a 5 km run or 50 km bicycle ride, I'll eat about 75% of my calories back.
    If I've done a lot of exercise, like a half marathon or a 100 km bicycle ride, I might eat about 90% of my calories back.

3) Eating how I want to eat. This is where everyone is different ... some people prefer to employ fasting, others like high protein diets, some like vegetarian diets, some like to eat 2 or 3 meals a day, others like to graze. Go with what works for you.

Personally, if I had to define what I do, my diet is probably most similar to a Mediterranean diet with a vegetarian lean ... and I'm a grazer. I also have to adjust what I do depending on my cycling events ... they're tricky because I need the fuel without going overboard.

Stick to it for 5 weeks, without any "cheat meals/days", then reassess how things are going. :)

10 Things to Stop Doing If You Want to Exercise
    https://www.verywellfit.com/things-to-stop-if-you-want-to-exercise-1231403

A little bit about me ...
    I'm Machka and I am in Tasmania, Australia. :)

Some of my favourite hobbies/sports/activities include:
    -- cycling
    -- walking
    -- hiking
    -- running
    -- reading
    -- working on my website
    -- photography

I bake, but don't cook, sew, knit, garden, etc.

Most of my day is spent working fulltime with health data, catching up on 6 years worth of projects at home, and spending time with my husband (who suffered a severe traumatic brain injury 2.5 years ago) and kitty, Rhody. The backlog of projects is because I was focused on university, but I have just graduated with my Master's degree.

My husband is not able to work anymore, so one of his main activities is gardening. He works at that at his own pace and we've got quite a lovely garden of flowers, fruit and veggies.

This is Rhody ... a young, all black, "domestic" who joined us at the end of March. :)

nneinev2ot4y.png

I joined MFP in February 2015 and promptly lost 15 kg, took a 1-month break, then lost another 11 kg. By Christmas 2015, I was down to a weight I hadn't seen in quite a few years ... since my early 30s.

In 2016, 2017 and the early part of 2018 I maintained while increasing my cycling. My sport, within cycling, is ultradistance cycling: Audax, Randonneuring, 24-hour races, etc.

Here's me in 2016 in Brisbane, QLD a couple days after cycling a 300 km event in 18 hours including all breaks.

vus7bcn66jq3.png

In late 2017 and early 2018, my husband and I were in great shape and feeling good. We were cycling events and on our own and building up the distances in the hopes of going to France in 2019 to ride the Paris-Brest-Paris 1200 km event. We met on a Paris-Brest-Paris in 2003, and the 2019 one was going to be a bit of an anniversary trip.

And then on March 22, 2018, my husband had a very bad accident at work ... and life changed. He was in a coma for 3 weeks and post traumatic amnesia for 7 weeks and in hospital for 100 days. Then, a year after the accident, he had a tonic clonic (grand mal) seizure which set him back. He'll never fully recover but he's doing better then they originally predicted.

He is cycling again but gets very tired so can't cycle consistently or for long distances.

Because cycling is something we've always done together, this means I'm not cycling the ultra long distances at this point either. In an attempt to boost my exercise we've set up a home gym, and I've got into running again. I hadn't run since I was in my late teens!

But all the time sitting at the hospital and dealing with the aspects of care for my husband, plus working, plus attending university has taken its toll on my weight and I don't look like that picture above anymore! :open_mouth: This year I have maintained my weight but I'd really like to lose a bit.

So that's me in a rather large nutshell. :)

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,889 Member
    Options
    mdld28t7ad5k.png
  • charsuzy
    charsuzy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    :) I did 10,130 steps today! I'm glad I can do 10,000 steps every so often. If I do that many every day my knees start getting inflamed. I've been doing red light treatment on my knees several times a week to help heal my knees and joints, and help get rid of pain due to inflammation. It also helps my skin which I use on my face and hands. I'm not going to just look any way I look and am not letting myself blow in the wind. I want to look good at any age. o:)

Cathy in Arlington, TX: The dance video looks fun! What a great idea! I will check them out. It seems good exercixe videos are good for when it's rainy outside and I can't go walking.

Pip:
    I love the photos too! And nice stats!

Rebecca in Whidbey WA: I've toyed with the idea of OMAD but I'm not sure I could do OMAD every day. I'm a snacker and trying to control the snacking.

Machka in Oz: I love the photo of Rhody. Cats are the best! Thank you for sharing your story of biking with your husband. I feel so sorry reading about his accident and how it has effected you both so that you're not biking together like you used to. I'm glad he survived.