WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) I just realized that grocery pickup is like writing a letter to Santa and getting everything on your list :)

I know I love our grocery delivery service! We've been using it for 2.5 years now and it's wonderful! We can go to the store if we want, and we do go to pick up bits and pieces (like fresh fruit) now and then, but it's just so convenient!

M in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day

Other- dust and vacuum, laundry- 2hrs 3sec, 75ahr, 81mhr= 553c

Still not feeling 100%
  • Machka9
    Options
    Just waiting for it to warm up a bit before I go out on my lunch walk. It's only 29.2C (84.5F) out there right now but they're promising more!!! :)

M in Oz
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Got buried under budget at work and have spent weekend catching up on house stuff. Had nice facetime with son and his family. We are tentatively making plans for my trip out there next June/July.

Got Christmas presents mailed to Arizona (the adults gifts-had grandkids shipped directly). Presents for son and his gf in Columbus are wrapped. Waiting for presents for step son and his wife to arrive. Took her a while to give me idea for her and came up with a shirt for step son and wool socks. Not exciting, but stuff he will use. Already have the three boys presents.

Can’t comment to all but did catch up:

Karen in Va-Great news about Josephine!

Tracey-glad you got to briefly visit with your mom

Allie-glad to see you are out of hospital and making progress. Just take it in easy, steady steps.

Julie-I’m glad you decided to get some things for your apartment-it may help improve your mood. The deserts are amazing. I was also happy to see my French is not completely lost!

KJ-sometimes a good cry is what we need. Tears are cathartic and have healing power. How nice someone checked on you.

In terms of weight-the kitchen scale is my friend. I try to get everything in grams. Package portion sizes can be misleading-the muffins I like can vary as much as 10 grams per muffin either way. It can add up without realizing it.

Been busy all weekend and am beat. Off to bed.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • Machka9
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Kay was able to hear but not see, was there a different link for video than podcast?
    hgq8rnxdhw8e.png

See spoiler. There should be two buttons. One says listen and one says watch. Click watch for video. They do it this way because lots of subscribers listen to these as podcasts.

I have posted twice in the last couple of weeks, including this morning but can’t find the post later. I don’t know if I’m forgetting to hit the post button or getting interrupted and just think I finished. I don’t know. I am so tired!

My mother fell yesterday and face planted a concrete edging stone, broke three teeth, and is black and blue all over. I took her to the ER, no other broken bones. Facing oral surgery and follow up with GP to see if she has balance issues. This is second fall in a week. I spent the night at her house on the couch.

More later.

Really sorry to hear that!! <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    Looking forward to 2021 ... public holidays! Plus southern Tasmania gets 2 additional days off.

We can't leave the state, but we can travel around the state or just stay home and relax. :)

5eowb3piwofp.png
    https://worksafe.tas.gov.au/topics/laws-and-compliance/public-holidays

So, thinking of travel because that's about all we can do these days ... think about it ... here's a little question for us ...

If the rest of the ladies here were coming to your location, what would the top 3 highlights be? What 3 places would you take us all?

In my case, I'm thinking what the top 3 highlights of Tasmania would be.

-- One would be to a wildlife park. There are a few around and I'd have to decide which would be the best one. But the Australian, and specifically Tasmanian, wildlife is definitely a highlight.

-- Another would be one of the Pennicott tours ... either the Bruny Island cruises or the Tasman Island cruises.
    https://www.pennicottjourneys.com.au/ Either way, there are other things to see in both areas as well. Hiking trails, decent cycling, beaches, historic stuff, etc.

-- Another would be a few days in the Strahan area to take in a couple tours there. One is a train tour and the other a short cruise. Plus there's an incredible beach, short hiking trails, and the cycling isn't too bad for short rides.

And a 4th might be a hike to the top of Mt Wellington for the views. :)

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Dr Katie - so sorry about your mum. :'( Getting old is not for wimps.

Rebecca - We set the world to rights while we are having our cup of tea in the morning. We always hold hands. :D
    We also comment on the radio news and views while we are exercising.
    Early evening is another favourite discussion time. We do also spend a lot of time in different rooms.
    We talk and laugh a LOT! We are great companions and FWBs.
    Those of you who live alone I take my hat off to you. I would definitely have gone crazy all through this. Although I like my own space, I am not a good solitary. Not good at all. :s Serious depression is never far away.
    DH keeps me sane and happy. Long may it last..........(see my answer to Dr Katie)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    o:) - If you'd like to let people know a little more about you, please press "quote" below and add your own answers in line in the Reply box and post. Not mandatory, just helps us know each other beyond the fitness and health drives we all share.

What excites you right now? (can't be the vaccine. :))

What are you looking forward to? (this can be the vaccine, but doesn't have to be. :))

What’s the best thing that happened to you this year?

Where did you grow up?

What do you do for fun?

Is there a charitable cause you support?

What is the one thing you like best about yourself?

What’s the most important thing I should know about you?
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,098 Member
    Options
    136hdr3lp49c.gif
    Tracey: Allie: KJ: ... and lots of others.
    Machka: Lovely beach.
    Pip: 😍😍😍 First Place🥇Nice one!!!
    Karla: Hope hubby is feeling better.

I have spent several days making cards. Just need to write/post them off today. It's DGD's birthday today. She will be home for Christmas on Friday. She has been tested (negative) and is isolating in preparation.

Gotta go. Will be back later to catch up.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    Im awake sitting up in bed..
    SuziQ - i have no choice to soldier on,its either this or death ..
    I am determined to live quite a few more years,60 is young.
    Now here is the dilemma.. we are supposed to be getting hit by back to back storms ,Sean and Jean live out in the sticks so when electric goes out,it can be for days
    Now down the street where i live not so much..
    I have to be somewhere that my defibrillator charger is constantly on. No distruptions....what do i do?
    Im stuck between a rock and a hard place
  • Machka9
    Options
    Now here is the dilemma.. we are supposed to be getting hit by back to back storms ,Sean and Jean live out in the sticks so when electric goes out,it can be for days
    I have to be somewhere that my defibrillator charger is constantly on. No distruptions....what do i do?

Talk to your doctor and any additional medical help you're getting (nurse, PT, etc.)
  • Machka9
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    o:) - If you'd like to let people know a little more about you, please press "quote" below and add your own answers in line in the Reply box and post. Not mandatory, just helps us know each other beyond the fitness and health drives we all share.

My graduation on Friday.
    The Christmas holiday.
    Summer.
    A bit more free time.

What are you looking forward to? (this can be the vaccine, but doesn't have to be. :))

As above.
    Since my husband's accident, I don't look more than about 2 months ahead.

Working from home.
    Relaxing.
    Finishing uni.
    Graduation.

Where did you grow up?

Western Canada.

What do you do for fun?

Cycling.
    Hiking.
    Walking to the beach.
    Photography.
    My website.

Plan International Canada ... for about 25 years now.

And a few others at times.

My hair.
    My eyes.

Hmmm ... this feels like an interview question.

In a job interview I would likely answer,
    "The most important thing you should know about me is that I love to learn and I learn quickly."

M in Oz
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Yes, it’s me again! Are you tiring of me yet?

Machka – You may want to research those who should not get the vaccine if you have a lot of allergic reactions. For the version her in the States they are stating those with a lot of allergies should not get it. To your point future variations may be more stable.

Bananas – Oh, no the test results. Nothing really definitive, just possible?! I lean towards privacy. I share with a few; not many. I feel I need my space to think about any given situation and once I make up my mind I share and/or ask for other’s opinions. Sprucing up your home will lift your heart. We all have been spending so much time indoors slight (or big) changes give us a different perspective.

Thanks for your message to Machka. I have allergies and I hadn't read this. That's what I understood, just possibilities of this or that. I tend to be more transparent than average in France (where people tend to be rather private), but it's the thing that if you haven't told, you can always tell later, but if you have told, you can't untell, unfortunately! :D I like the pastries too. Fun. A gastronomic friend finds they look too much like toys, and finds them unappealing.

@cityjaneLondon
    At around 8.30 we start our exercise regime. That lasts, with pauses to clean my teeth etc, until around 10.30. ... Around 1.40 we start our second portion of exercise. A run, a walk together or, often for me, a row on my the machine when I listen to language videos or tv I have missed. Around 3 we have a cup of tea and a snack....My day is a good day if I get 900 calories of exercise done and write 500 words...

Awesome amount of daily exercise! No wonder you can have dessert, snack. So disciplined.

@Machka9
    I have never purchased a house and have no particular desire to do so. Occasionally I think it might be nice, but that thought passes quickly.

Here, we can afford to rent a nice 3-bedroom house, but if we were to attempt to buy something, we'd have to go with a fairly ordinary 2-bedroom place in a less ideal location. We certainly couldn't afford to buy the place we're renting if that option happened to come up!

I don't know that I will be owner again of where I live. The rent is not low in Paris but is rather strictly rent-controlled, and the real estate prices are sky high. I think one would have to own for at least 30 years, maybe close to 40 to have similar price to rent. Not so interesting at 57 with no offspring I'm concerned about leaving an egg to.

• bananasandoranges
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Got buried under budget at work and have spent weekend catching up on house stuff. Had nice facetime with son and his family. We are tentatively making plans for my trip out there next June/July.

Got Christmas presents mailed to Arizona (the adults gifts-had grandkids shipped directly). Presents for son and his gf in Columbus are wrapped. Waiting for presents for step son and his wife to arrive. Took her a while to give me idea for her and came up with a shirt for step son and wool socks. Not exciting, but stuff he will use. Already have the three boys presents.

Can’t comment to all but did catch up:

Karen in Va-Great news about Josephine!

Tracey-glad you got to briefly visit with your mom

Allie-glad to see you are out of hospital and making progress. Just take it in easy, steady steps.

Julie-I’m glad you decided to get some things for your apartment-it may help improve your mood. The deserts are amazing. I was also happy to see my French is not completely lost!

KJ-sometimes a good cry is what we need. Tears are cathartic and have healing power. How nice someone checked on you.

In terms of weight-the kitchen scale is my friend. I try to get everything in grams. Package portion sizes can be misleading-the muffins I like can vary as much as 10 grams per muffin either way. It can add up without realizing it.

Been busy all weekend and am beat. Off to bed.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio

You sound like a good mother and grandmother. Wool socks are often a great idea. Good idea to weigh seriously;

FURNITURE
    Arrived today at about 8:15. They left moments before the online class. I helped a wee bit carrying light things from elevator to apartment and they were so stunned. Glad you enjoyed the dessert pics and also reading French.

WEIGHING AND TRACKING
    I have not been. I started again today. I unthinkingly glommed on about 2 T of Tahini (from eyeballing, not more than 2 T) onto cauliflower since I was short of olive oil. I'd've put 1t of olive oil, and just quickly didn't think. :s I'm very close to full calories today, at only 2pm. Weight is rather stable on it's upper limits. I'm at a, for me, hight weight that I hadn't seen for decades. My BMI is around 24.2 according to last calculator, whereas I used to be on the low of BMI without every being very skinny. I was normal/not overweight but not ever skinny. (except for a few months when I got really ill about 15 years ago, after a few bugs caught in India). That might seem ideal to some and high to others but it's about what feels and seems right for me. A couple of years ago a friend said to me, with surprise, "I never saw you with a belly before". This is an acceptable thing for a close friend to say here. Also, she has always struggled a bit with weight (she's not tall at all, has a slightly higher BMI than me at present but is not over 30 BMI.).
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Michele

Whine-- I am restless and tired of being in lockdown. I haven’t been able to go horseback riding because DH has been needing me at home. I want us to have our vaccinations and to get my life back. I want to go to yoga and the stable to spend time with Arrow. For now, we have to put up with lock down.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon--having something of a pity party at the moment.

I'm there too! No horses nor DH, but argh! about being so locked-down.

Rebecca - We set the world to rights while we are having our cup of tea in the morning. We always hold hands. :D
    We also comment on the radio news and views while we are exercising.
    Early evening is another favourite discussion time. We do also spend a lot of time in different rooms.
    We talk and laugh a LOT! We are great companions and FWBs.
    Those of you who live alone I take my hat off to you. I would definitely have gone crazy all through this. Although I like my own space, I am not a good solitary. Not good at all. :s Serious depression is never far away.
    DH keeps me sane and happy. Long may it last..........(see my answer to Dr Katie)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Sounds ideal!

Maybe a simplistic questions but are there any portable, (maybe gas-powered) generator options?

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

What excites you right now? (can't be the vaccine. :)) We decided to get a house cleaner, and she is coming today for the first time.

I'm looking forward to getting the pin out of my finger and hopefully recovering full use of it.

Paid off my car and became totally debt free.

Where did you grow up? rural northeast Georgia, USA

What do you do for fun? walk with hubby, read, declutter

Is there a charitable cause you support? in addition to my church, we support the local food bank, a local clothing closet for foster children, and a local battered women's shelter.

What is the one thing you like best about yourself? that I have a servant heart

What’s the most important thing I should know about you? No judgement from me. Your journey is your journey. I'm here for friendship and support.

I have a really hard time with questions like the one thing, your favorite, the best, etc. I have so many.......

• bananasandoranges
    edited December 2020
    Options

Where did you grow up?

What do you do for fun?

What excites you right now? Seeing some friends on the rare occasions when I have a chance to excites me.

When we can go back to regular work and have a "normal social life", see museums, etc.

2 things. I met some nice people (colleagues, neighbours). We got this petition going, and it's going pretty strong.

Where did you grow up?
    Massachusetts.

What do you do for fun?
    I find life if so muted and toned down. Well, the things I enjoy are: going for walk, getting an espresso at the nearby take-away café, some of the classes and discussions with my students, meeting friends/colleagues/neighbors (rarely), and dare I say - watching things I like online.

I have contributed a few times recently to projects built by architecture students for people in migrant camps. I don't know if this counts, but when I go I give donation to at-cost meditation classes (it's like donating in church when the basket comes around.) Sometimes give to people in the street. Not so much because it's a racket (there are people managing the beggars and collecting their money. I have seen them do so.) But sometimes I give food. I gave some money, unsolicited to a very dignified-looking, and not crazy-looking very elderly lady who was looking the trash rather late in the 1st strict lockdown.

I'm a caring teacher, and often manage to get a very good supportive, learning environment going, where students develop autonomy and mutual (and sometimes long-lasting) support. And sometimes get my students to laugh.

The most important? That's a toughie. I am not good with superlatives as the answer will absolutely change from moment to moment. But here's one thing. Not that is most important. It is not, but perhaps among the most important that comes to mind at this moment, that I have not shared in this group. I live in a 2-room apartment, with a balcony in a pleasant, active, residential part of Paris, (some of you know that already) that is partly (over) full of artworks from a long part-time career as painter, artist. Non-lucrative, but with some quite minor recognition, and my teaching, and all my work is around the same field.

I think of this point, very definitely because when I went by my old late next-door neighbour's place, a couple of weeks ago, to see something with her son, I was stunned to discover that there were also tons of art works too. She had been a journalist so I was totally surprised to discover that she had also been a painter, and sad that we hadn't shared more on that level. I feel kind of embarrassed about the over fullness, but that's just life of a painter. The lady just upstairs from me is an elderly sculpture and it's much worse. I used to get rid of stuff. But sometimes I really regretted for a few pieces. So now I keep them. And make a point to make more storable (flatter, more pliable, rollable, or smaller) works, which nonetheless take up space, even it increases by only a few cm of volume per year...