WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Welcome all newbies, you will find lots of help and encouragement from the lovely ladies on here.
    Stay safe

Kate UK ❤️
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Hello all! Re: nutrition:
    I really wish I could fast daily. I fast on Sundays (well, Saturday at 6pm-Sunday 6pm). But I can only do that on Sunday, because Sunday is typically my "less work" day. I absolutely can't fast while I have the kids here, during the week. Too hard to keep up with them and not be "hangry" all of the time.
    Veggies- I love vegetables! But I can tell cooler weather is here, because my desire to drink water and eat veggies is waning! I really have to force myself to eat them, now. Cold temps seem to make my body crave comfort foods. BUT, there are no excuses. Because of my childcare/meals I serve them; there is always a variety of fruit and veg available here at my house. In a typical week my kiddos eat: 20 clementines, 20 apples, 18-20 bananas, 4-6 lbs of grapes, two pineapples, 2 lbs of carrots, a head of broccoli, a stalk of celery, a head of lettuce, six roma tomatoes, about 6-8 large sweet potatoes. The variety changes, but that is the amounts I am buying each week. Add in proteins to each meal (generally chicken, turkey, eggs or legumes), and they are eating really well. I try to keep "sweet" snacks to a minimum. They love the holidays, though, because our baking/cooking is usually making some sort of treat. lol Not worried about them, though. They burn it off so easily. Those were the days...
    Mail- A bit stressed, as many of you are, as I wait for overdue packages to arrive...both bearing gifts... one is a box of books for the kids and the other is a heated hoodie for Tim to wear under his coat this winter. *sigh

Cathy- Love the line dance video!
    Pip- Love the pics! You all look happy! That is a HUGE leaf!
    Karen VA-Such good news about Josephine Ballerina! Hugs to you all!
    Rebecca- So...while the oldest is out...what kind of mischief will you and the Chief be up to?!
    Barbie- Glad the knock on the head wasn't more serious! Be careful, friend!

Kids are here and the noise level is rising. I better scoot! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

I skip a day and you ladies were busy. 76 comments! Welcome new gals and returnees! This is the place to be. <3

Cathy
    - thank you for the line dancing video. I found it and bookmarked it. I used to love Leslie Sansone walking videos but tended to overdo it, lol. Line dancing looks like more fun anyhow, sure wish a facility or group would offer it in our area. Maybe once the big Cootie runs its course.

Regarding Xlear - I ordered it from Amazon on Monday and it should be arriving tomorrow. I'm anxious to give it a try for my allergies. Thinking it might be good to use when I get home from my shopping trips. Wash hands, wash sinuses :) . And gargle with CloSys - another tip from my dental hygienist, they use it at the office. It's a mouthwash that kills viruses. I bought it from Amazon several months ago.

Fae - I am impressed by your workout! I try to do similar - not as intense as yours, but it feels good to stretch and warm up.

Tina - thanks for the tip on that mouthguard, I will check it out.

Regarding IF - my goal is 16:8 or better, but these days I am happy with 14:10 and try to stick to 2 meals. I know I'm going overboard with the sweet stuff and desserts, but tis the season. :D Can still fit into my honesty pants and zip them, lol. But they are tighter than I want them to be.

Social media:
    I spent yesterday learning about and getting set up on new social media platforms: Parler (replacing Twitter), MeWe (replacing Facebook) and Rumble (replacing Youtube.) No ads and no censorship! I'm surprised I haven't been kicked off Facebook or been labeled "Fake News" for mentioning the Xlear research on C-19. Things have gotten out of control. I like to follow breakthroughs and research regarding this virus and for some reason this type of information has been getting banned. :s Who knows what else is not allowed to be reported? Geeze. The old platforms will still have their place but I'm happy to spend a lot less time on them. Many of my friends and relatives are moving to the new platforms as well.

OK ladies, make it a great Thursday! <3

Lanette B)
    Chilly SW WA State

• teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Allie Wonderful news that you are doing so well. Thanks for the update.

Hope everyone has a great Thursday. I'm off to find a new kitchen electric range today. Mine conked out on Thanksgiving when I went to put the turkey in the oven. We've been using a two burner camp stove since. :-) It's been easy since we have an instant pot, toaster oven and microwave but think it's time to look at ranges. This range that died was a GE manufactured in 1994.... and has been a good appliance. I'm shocked at the prices of stoves. My refrigerator and hot water heater are also 1994 models... hope they hold up for awhile more. Ha!

Betsy in NW WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,554 Member
    Options
    U
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,925 Member
    Options
    :)Betsy, We have replaced all the appliances in our manufactured home except the washer and dryer and every time I use them, I speak kindly and thank them for their good behaviour. We replaced our kitchen stove about two years ago and even the modest level one was expensive but I am joyous whenever I use it.

:)Cathy, Line dancing has been my happy place since 2004. I've been dancing long enough that my brain has its own playlist and have the music on CD so I dance at home nearly every day. I like dancing in class, but when I dance at home I dance only the dances I like which is great fun. I'll enjoy getting back to class but I like what I'm doing now.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Lanette Stretching and warming up is so necessary for our advanced years because our muscles are much tighter due to age. It is so easy to tear a muscle and then we get set back. I was surprised at my recent doctor visit when after jumping the nurse about their mistake last time of putting me down as 5' 8", she measured me twice and I did everything I could to stand straight and tall, but both measures came out 5' 8". I have been 5' 9" since I was 21 and now I am 1" shorter. If I want to be 6' I will have to go to 4" heels and not sure my balance will allow that. I have also signed up on alternative social media, but I haven't taken the time to learn them. I will have to see if I can get into MeWe again. I have trouble logging on to Parler and I was never a Twitter poster or follower, but do like the non-censorship of Parler. Maybe I will post my old workout and guitar playing videos if I can figure out Rumble.

Charsuzy Thanks for your support and kind compliments. It helps keep me going. I enjoy following your progress.

Allie So very happy you are up walking! Like so many strong women, you have risen out of the ashes only slightly damaged and a stronger woman. Walk as much as they will allow. Walking is life both mentally and physically, especially for us older women.

Barbara Thanks for thinking about me and the doctor visit was great and worthwhile as the new antifungal med should fix my red toes before Rudolph gets jealous.

Fae in windy cold N Central Or
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • WThyme
    WThyme Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Heather and Machka - Thanks for the helpful tips for including more veggies and fruit. This is how I’m trying to eat. I enjoy it, but find that I’m still needing to more purposefully create the daily habits involved.

Today is my errand day. I have a wonderful Thursday source for local, fresh milk and eggs. I will also make sure I have a fresh stock of organic veggies and fruit. Will be doing some roasted vegetables for dinner. I will also go on a search today for paper towels! What's with the shortage??? :o
    Thyme in Georgia
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Rita, sending good vibes for today's cardiologist appointment. May you learn the issues are minor and easily resolved. ((hugs))
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,217 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    First Christmas cards arrived today. Between DH and me we sent out 55 cards. Postage very expensive here, but worth it. My strange cousin sent me an e-card in reply to mine, but I'm glad to know he is still alive! Last year it was nearly the end for him with a terrible car accident and bad head injury. I was really worried because I hadn't heard from him. I managed to get a communication to him and at last he replied. At least he had a good excuse! We were very close as children. Happy memories.

Waitrose delivery arrived minus the carrots! ;):* The delivery guy was just as perplexed as me. If they didn't have the exact ones I ordered, surely they could have substituted!
    I read today on the Internet that there's a world shortage of fresh ginger. :o
    I got two packets of French tarragon because that is one thing it's hard to find locally. I'm using it tonight in my sauce vierge. It freezes well enough to use in cooking.
    When we were putting the Prosecco in the garage we discovered we have 9 bottles now! That must be good news, we are not drinking as much! I had no idea we were building up a surplus! :p

No more delivery slots before Christmas. I think we are fine.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🤎💚❤️🧡🖤💜💙
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    TerriRichards: Covid Vaccinations are planned here in OR after the first of the year. Medical people and first responders will go first. People over 70 will be second in line. That will be us. They’re talking about two doses a couple of weeks apart. I look forward to safer world health when all is said and done. :heart: Your “More unasked for advice” is brilliant. :star:

Namaste: Barbie has great advice. Focus on nutrition and be active. I would add to measure your portions using a food scale, measuring cups or restaurant style measured scoops. It is important to know what you eat and how much you eat. On the “be active,” I personally have set a goal to be active at least three days a week. I like to take long walks in dry weather. In rainy or cold weather, I ride my stationary bike in the garage. In a world without Covid, I had a great time taking a yoga class at the gym. It is now closed by order of the governor. When we have our vaccinations, and the governor allows it to reopen, I will be back at the gym two or three days a week. :flowerforyou:

Allie: I am pleased to hear that you are being moved to the step-down unit. It tells me that you are healing, and that is the best possible news. Congratulations on your health improvement! :heart: :star::heart: :star::heart:

Lanette: DH also ordered Xlear from Amazon. It should be here in a few days. :smiley: Regarding social media, this group is it for me. I don’t like facebook or youtube. I’ve never used twitter. :noway:

Betsy: Buying appliances is a challenge. The most recent purchase for us was our dishwasher. We ordered it through Home Depot and had it delivered. We don’t plan to buy from them again. The dishwasher they sent us was damaged and we refused to accept it. The replacement took weeks to get here. We were frustrated with their slow service. When the dishwasher finally arrived DH installed it himself with a little help from me. It is working very well. :star:

Lisa: I agree with your advice to the newbies. I have alway let MFP choose the number of calories I can have and get good results. I choose the foods that are right for me. :star:

Thyme in GA: When the Covid epidemic hit the world, people did all sorts of stupid things. Pig farmers couldn’t send their pigs to market because the processing plant was closed. Some of them were shot and the meat was wasted. TP and other paper products were almost impossible to find. Supply lines in our area are working much better now. Keeping my fingers crossed that this continues to be true. Paper products are more likely to be available first thing in the morning in our area. The stores chose that early time for seniors only shopping. :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

(((Rita))): I hope your health issues are resolved soon. :heart:

I went to the pharmacy in our grocery store to get a RX for DH & then shopped for a few groceries. I found wonderful fresh fish in the meat section and replenished my sparkling canned water. We’re back at home and DH is snoozing in his favorite chair while I post here.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,457 Member
    Options
    KJ (Kelly), winks, I think we can find something! At least (it) is great for your heart. There was a time, that I literally took the air from him, (that first year after transplant). He'd be gasping and I would think, I will accidently kill tha man from this, but his response to my concerning would always be, "But what a way to go right"?? Thankfully, he has more stamina now.
    Rebecca
    frisky in Whidbey LOL
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    HeatherWhat?! Shortage of fresh ginger?!!! I blame all of my facebook posts touting the wonderfullness of that powerful root! I use a lot of ginger. I wonder if I could grow it? Hmmmm... by the way...I saw the most hilariously satirical video (by channel 4 comedy)
    about a woman (somewhere in the UK) can't exactly remember where she was from; who upcycles s e x toys that she finds in the woods, washed up on river banks, in parks, etc.. She turns them into usable things. lol So funny! Like twisted Pinterest projects. Oh well, if you need a laugh, just google skit upcycling s e x toys and it will probably turn up! Really made me laugh. At first I didn't know it was satire; I was wondering what was going on in the UK...

That's all for tonight. I have a zoom meeting beginning! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)