May 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,384 Member
    @shanaber cool swag. That does look like a nice jacket! Thanks for sharing the dew point table. I think that bottom row is a bit contradicting though - running is not recommend, but "just run" :)
    Yeah, @katharmonic - I took that last line to say, if you're going to run in a heat index this high, don't worry about your performance degradation.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Distance Log:
    5/4 1.5 miles
    5/8 1.7 miles
    5/10 2.2 miles

Total: 5.4/20 miles

Today was in the 30s but after a few minutes I quit feeling cold. Saw two deer just walking down the street in front of me for a while. I see deer with some frequency wandering around, but it always tickles me to see them doing things like walking on the street instead of cross lots, which seems more natural. Also a good reminder to put down some stuff so they don't eat all my plants! :angry:

Monthly Question?

When you fall off the wagon, how do you recover?
    - I should figure out an answer to this! The last time I quit running was because I got pregnant and was super tired and sick, and I didn't start again for....three years? Four? I can't even remember which baby it was for sure, so that tells you it's been a while! :D My hope is that it becomes such an ingrained habit that it would just feel so weird to not do it, so if I had to stop for a time I'd be itching to go back. TBH while it could be an injury or some other thing, the most likely thing would be that I would be tempted to quit if/when we had another baby. I'm hoping to establish a solid enough base that I can keep going, even if I have to modify or go easier than I would otherwise.

Vacation plans this summer/season?
    - A group of families are going to spend a long weekend "glamping" (cabin with electricity and running water, not really roughing it) in the woods. There will be 36 kids, 11 and under (and three little bitty babies!). It's gonna be fun but super, super loud! We've been doing this trip for several years now. The first time we went we "only" had 19 kids. ;)

What is your favorite non-running related hobby?
    - Probably reading! I have actually been thinking about good audiobooks to listen to while I run. Probably mostly light fiction or something with a compelling story but that won't disrupt my focus too much. I will take any recommendations if any of you are audiobook fans. I can be interested in pretty much anything that isn't really explicit or gory.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,940 Member
    edited May 2021
    Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I am feeling a lot better today, but a long way from normal. Planning to take it easy again today and mostly do only what HAS to be done. I may try to take a walk later in the day.

@skippygirlsmom I know you are glad to have Skippy back home.

@shanaber Love the swag. The jacket does look nice. I liked last year's hoodie too.

Nice run @kgirlhart . I hate swallowing bugs and am glad there was a convenience store on your route.

@ContraryMaryMary Glad you had a nice, long run and didn't have to take a nap in the afternoon. Hope the ankle quits giving you problems. I love that you are able to give your old running shoes to such a great cause! Your new property sounds amazing. I'm sure you are going to enjoy it a lot.

Nice running @Scott6255 !

You're doing great @penguinmama87 !
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    5/2 - 5.66 mile 82 min easy effort
    5/3 - 2.11 mile 30 min easy effort
    5/4 - 2.15 mile 30 min easy effort
    5/5 - 1.66 mile 20 min stamina effort
    5/6 - 2.19 mile 30 min easy effort
    5/7 - 2.17 mile 30 min easy effort
    5/9 - 4.15 mile 60 min easy effort
    5/10 - 3.46 mile 48 min easy effort

May total: 23.55 miles
    May goal: 95 miles

Today starts another 6 weeks of base building. The down week was helpful apparently as I felt really strong on today's run.

@ContraryMaryMary - I am going to see if anyone is doing a shoe donation like that near me. My youngest is the king of sensory issues and can only keep his shoes on if they are quality high tops. I also have a 21 year old who was a toe walker and we were never able to stop him from that which means he developed deformed feet so that donation program is definitely the sort of thing I would love to donate my extra running shoes towards.

In Memphis Fleet feet collects shoes for donation!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    @shanaber I'm sure that's what they meant by the "just run" line but I interpreted it differently at first read. But I don't think much about running for performance anyway so the percentages mean little to me. I pretty much always "just run" to what I feel like.

Glad you are feeling better @quilteryoyo. Good to take it easy for a day and hopefully you'll be back to normal by tomorrow.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    05/01/21 :::: 11.1 :::: 11.1
    05/02/21 :::: 0.0 :::: 11.1
    05/03/21 :::: 3.3 :::: 14.4
    05/04/21 :::: 4.7 :::: 19.1
    05/05/21 :::: 3.1 :::: 22.2
    05/06/21 :::: 3.2 :::: 25.4
    05/07/21 :::: 0.0 :::: 25.4
    05/08/21 :::: 5.1 :::: 30.6
    05/09/21 :::: 3.2 :::: 33.8
    05/10/21 :::: 2.2 :::: 36.0

Just a treadmill warmup before strength training today. I also did the glute machine before that as I am trying to focus on glute strength. Then in strength training we did a ton of glutes and I was a little bit sorry. One thing I know is that my hip flexors are super tight which makes all the bridges and hip thrusts etc very challenging. Need to work on that!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,940 Member
    Thanks for all the well wishes everyone. And, thanks for telling me how long it took to recover @Teresa502 . My tummy was rumbling and going on all night and it just doesn't feel real good again today. I was beginning the think something else was going on. You're doing great with your running and hiking.

@kgirlhart Nice planning and nice run. Uneventful is good.

You're doing great with your recovery @skippygirlsmom !

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Thank you @quilteryoyo :)