July 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• julieannegannon
    julieannegannon Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for welcoming me to the group! I have a current issue right now on diet. I’m on a keto diet and I’m considering switching to a high carb diet. I don’t know if it’s because I just started running but I have been experiencing constant burning in my legs and I was wondering if it’s the diet I am on. I like the keto diet because I never feel hunger and I am very energetic. But if it’s undermining my efforts to be a runner. It would be nice to become MFP friends with some of you who will open up their diary to me to get more learned on fueling my body. I down loaded information on eating for a runner. Keep in mind I went on the keto diet was to lose weight but I am currently on maintenance and I went on keto because I was close to becoming diabetic. Both my parents were diabetic but if running with a high carb diet keeps my sugar low then I will eat high carbs. Thank you in advance for responding to this inquiry.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    7/1 – 3.02
    7/2 – 5.02
    7/2 - .50 cool down
    7/3 – 4.02
    7/4 – 1.05 with pups
    7/4 – 1.44 hiking down and back up from swim basin
    7/5 – 4.67 trails
    7/5 - .41 cool down to get to 5 miles
    7/6 – rest day walked the dogs
    7/7 – 4.03
    7/8 – 4.04
    7/9 – 5.19 miles of cross training – bike (not counted in miles)
    7/10 – 13.11 July Half Marathon Monthly challenge
    7/11 – rest day
    7/12 – 3.02
    7/13 – 6.1 miles of biking (not counted in miles)
    7/14 – 4.05
    7/16 – 5.01
    7/17 – 3.02
    7/19 – 7.01

63.42 of 65 miles

@quilteryoyo we use this meeting thing called Teams and people actually have to nerve to have it call me on my cell phone when I’m not there ha ha. Sometimes I pick up and I’m like out of breath because I’m running and I don’t say what I’m doing I just say “no it’s good I’m almost done” ha ha

@Orphia great job getting out in the rain, it’s been raining so much here it’s just okay gotta run in the rain. I woke up at 5:30 this morning and it was POURING, I said oh no I can wait ha ha

@ContraryMaryMary I haven’t ice skating in years, staying on the feet is good – nice long run

@martaindale I think the ability to come back rapidly has many factors, injury vs rest time, bad vs not bad injury, fitness before time off and certainly age. I know Skip bounces back much faster than I do. Though I definitely think I come back faster now than when I first started to run, I think the body remembers.

Nice race @Tramborman

@WhatMeRunning like @katharmonic I wear Oofos too I believe in them for recovery.

@katharmonic sounds like a weird kinda fun, you’re a good friend.

Great job @sweetdaisy13

@RunsOnEspresso nice job reaching for that 6

@polskagirl01 Skip’s Sprint Tri is in a couple of weeks, she’s been so lucky that a local swim coach is giving her free lessons, she goes at least 3 days a week and some weeks up to 5 mornings, like she meets him at 4:30 am for 2 hours. She said it’s made a huge improvement in her confidence in the swim. She only has a mountain bike so we put skinny road tires on it and she a customer in the store the other day said hey I have a road bike that would be perfect for the tri I’ll bring it to town and if you like it I’ll sell it to you. So we’ll see how that goes.

Hi @MikeRunsDaily2021

Welcome @julieannegannon like @rheddmobile said lots of us “mature” ladies here, I’ll be 60 in a few weeks….wow how did that happen!

@WhatMeRunning that kitten foot!

@quilteryoyo I have a Nathan pack/vest and love everything about it, it has two big pockets in the front and a zippered back besides where the bladder goes and I love it. It’s the Trail 7L Pictures in spoiler
    n0nxkb6rcbct.jpg

kp9eiblf21wa.jpg

I also have a larger handheld that has a soft bladder again love it, it's the Nathan ExoDraw 18 oz. The pocket in the front can fix a couple guis and my key fob
    dq0z4ntjs9ma.jpg
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for welcoming me to the group! I have a current issue right now on diet. I’m on a keto diet and I’m considering switching to a high carb diet. I don’t know if it’s because I just started running but I have been experiencing constant burning in my legs and I was wondering if it’s the diet I am on. I like the keto diet because I never feel hunger and I am very energetic. But if it’s undermining my efforts to be a runner. It would be nice to become MFP friends with some of you who will open up their diary to me to get more learned on fueling my body. I down loaded information on eating for a runner. Keep in mind I went on the keto diet was to lose weight but I am currently on maintenance and I went on keto because I was close to becoming diabetic. Both my parents were diabetic but if running with a high carb diet keeps my sugar low then I will eat high carbs. Thank you in advance for responding to this inquiry.

There’s a lot of ground between keto and high carb. I’m a diabetic controlled by diet and exercise, and I eat moderate carbs (about 150 g / day or 45 g / meal) planning them around my exercise. I test blood glucose frequently and have found that I can sometimes eat up to 90g net carbs at one sitting without a blood sugar spike following a long run! I also fuel my runs by eating an orange before and gummies during any run longer than 90 minutes.

However, we have had keto runners who were members of the group. One who I haven’t seen posting in a while was quite a successful endurance runner with sponsorships and all that. Keto can be excellent for ultra runners because unlike a non-keto adapted runner, who has to stay ahead of their blood sugar and digestion, a keto runner can keep going as long as they have some fat stores. We also have @T1DCarnivoreRunner who is a fully carnivore runner, doesn’t eat any plant matter besides a few spices, and is a type 1 diabetic. There are many ways to fuel successfully as a runner!

If you enjoy keto then there’s no reason to stop. Most likely the burning is just you getting used to running and will pass. However, you can try eating a few quick carbs (such as an orange, or a gummy) before a run and see if it helps you feel better. In general studies have found that exercise requiring quick maximal efforts are best powered by carbs, while endurance isn’t affected as much.

• martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,063 Member
    Options
    @Tramboman Good race! Looks like you beat your time goal and placed in your AG. I'd call that a win for sure!
  • martaindale
    Options
    So excited to be running less.
    :D:D

Welcome @julieannegannon and Welcome back @MikeRunsDaily2021

Congrats on the race @sweetdaisy13 ! Awesome pace in warm temps.

@WhatMeRunning No pain when running sounds like a good sign. It's good that you are aware of the discomfort. Even if it's not bad enough to stop you from running, you're tuned into it so you will notice if it worsens and can address it before it becomes a stop running situation.
  • martaindale
    Options
    I am loving seeing all the hydration options people use. I have been tempted to try out a hydration vest, but, like @ContraryMaryMary I've worried if it would be too hot or chafe as I am a very sweaty runner. I tried a flipbelt, even bought 2 different sizes, and it just didn't stay put. I was fiddling with it too much so ditched that.
    These days I have a handheld bottle sort of like @WhatMeRunning that loops over my hand so I'm not really holding it. It has elastic loops on the back to hold fuel. I also have a couple of small bottles for the flipbelt that fit in the thigh pockets of my leggings for winter runs, so I can go hands free.
    I'm going to look into that insulated nathan bottle for the summer because it is amazing how fast water heats up outside! Even if I put ice in my current bottle but mile 2-ish, it's all melted and basically room temp.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options

It's probably a good thing my food diary is (I think) closed. It would probably be a good example of what NOT to do, though!

@skippygirlsmom best wishes to Skip on her triathlon! Swim training and a better bike would be helpful for me, too. I'll get there eventually. Also, that Nathan pack looks so similar to the way my Ultimate Direction pack is made - little details, the adjustability, fabric, logo... weird. I wonder if they're connected somehow.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    [Retyping entire post I just lost...]

I went on a great little adventure today! I worked ALL day yesterday so I'd have the time to go to the mountains. Short version: 2 summits and a total of 10 miles and 3380 ft of ascent/descent.
    Drove 40 minutes away and parked in a valley. Hiked up the easier side first, took pictures/had a snack, then jogged down. Uneventful but lovely. Stopped at the car quick, then started up the other side. Only problem was, it was a steep ski slope and most normal (smart) people take the ski lift. I'm apparently crazy, and had quite a few choice words going through my head on the way up. At some point I realized my route was actually supposed to be a trail just inside the woods, so I moved over there and it was much cooler than being cooked by the sun, but was just as steep. NO ONE appeared to be enjoying the hike up, and it was very slow progress, one step at a time with lots of stopping and leaning on trees to get my heart rate down. Ski lift in sight was not encouraging, but I tried to ignore it. Then I got to the lodge feeling trashed, but it looked like everyone from the lift was having a party up there. So weird. After a little break enjoying the view, I went the extra kilometer up to the actual summit, at the Czech-Polish border. On the way back down, it was only runnable back to the lodge, then turned into watching my step and zigzagging back and forth trying to not hurl myself down the slope. I should have picked a different route for that side. I'm not sure it helped me training-wise. Oh well. It was definitely crazy (aka awesome)!
    62sooif63h2g.jpg
    9rsxxh5zfeui.jpg
    6qtho7iwi59n.jpg
    5b7f2bk5o1yw.jpg
    phj8xaxtrwbp.jpg
    ffjn3qa43615.jpg The red arrows show where I was standing when I took the other picture.
    July Goal 100 miles (stretch goal 185k)

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    August 1: Grywicka 10k (forest trail)
    August 14: Bieg Zbóju 25km (mountain trail, 1400m elevation)

Looks like a fun adventure!!!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Fab run @polska_girl - beautiful photos.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning - this is the 'Toes Pose' that I was doing. https://www.runnersworld.com/video/a20809634/toes-pose/
    I do a standing version now that helps but I don't think it is as affective.