WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2021

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Tracey - over here it would be that they were trying for an insurance claim and it didn't work as expected. A lot of people have dashcams. Glad other people stopped to help. Definitely police and hospital. ((HUGS)) What a shock!

I think we have decided on the woodwork colour. Dulux White Cotton. It has a slight grey undertone.

Did not sleep from 3 am onward. Oh well. I will be tired after my girly lunch, but should sleep tonight! :)
    Might wear a dress. :o It's maxi with slits, so no legs on show. :noway:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,491 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BP, dogs to powerline-twice!, called Patel’s office re fasting labs 8/31, called GB to learn about bath process and time,
    Bonus: told goddaughter I wouldn’t be meeting them at the Celtic Festival, she was relieved not to go too. Cancelled motel reservation, emailed lectionary website about troubleshooting out of sync verses, reconciled savings + credit card statements, over an hour grooming Tumble, finished the YouTube Trillium Falls hiking video.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, bank, BiMart, Grocery Outlet, recycling, email Deb re: goats milk, do something with goat’s milk, flagger course progress, ask Hill about ipads and google maps vs google earth, USE those torture bands/do that BB&B video, call S, fire district: research NFPA, grant NIMS requirements, ongoing: input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, likewise Lee skills/tasks, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, learn new dances (Tequila Little Time, Homesick, Nothing but You, A Little Less Broken, Blame it on my beating heart,; Do Your Thing, practice dances: One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat),); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove, ask Te about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this fall’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers and beit alpha cukes next year).
    August
    25: Give your time, energy or attention to help someone in need: learn what the Oasis shelter needs to qualify for the purple leash project.

Our governor just announced a mask requirement for when outside in public places where social distancing cannot be maintained. It takes effect Friday. Will take the opportunity to enjoy last unmasked walk with the gals in Azalea Park tomorrow morning. Might go a little early and do some T’ai Chi by myself.

Beth Aieee!!! ((hugs)) Who tossed that stick? Hope your recovery is swift and complete, with or without surgery.
    Julie you mentioned fatigue lessening when you went GF. Could gut biome issues be contributing to current fatigue? I see you eat yoghurt, do you take any probiotics? Brava for advocating for yourself and educating your dermatologist.
    Heather sorry I missed it. What happened to Edie’s nose? How annoying to be in Mallorca and unable to swim :rage:
    Lisa good to see you popping in. You are much in my thoughts.
    Welcome @elizabethhoberg and @cormierannie! Would you let us know what you’d like to be called and your general locale?
    Margaret love the “self care” choice not to argue… Brava for resolving that financial piece! Happy painting!
    Katla :love: watching river otters, when I don’t have a dog with me… ;)
    Flea 5 miles? Bravissima!!! Love how you can find the positives in your DH’s antisocial behavior. ;)
    Rita streams in the desert, beautiful!!!
    Thanks for checking in Kay, you were missed. Brava for dragging your lay volunteers kicking and screaming into this century. Past time.
    Karen, thanks for “hear the message they are conveying rather than the words they are saying.” This will help me. :heart:
    Machka and Terri agree Covid won’t burn itself out for another year yet.
    Allie :heart: keep cool!
    Michele I’m hoping the dog washer can shave Tumble’s “pits” where the mats are so close to her skin I can’t comb or cut them out. Could you pack up and leave after Vince gets up in the night with the cats? Would get you to FL way early?
    Rebecca attitude is one of the hazards of excessive cuteness… ;)
    Tracey how horrific! Somehow had the notion you Canadians were less violent than us Yanks. Like you, I’m thankful it was fists and not firearms. Will your DH cooperate with what Machka and Julie said about police and hospital?

It's 2am, Joe’s up making his coffee, time for me to hit the sack.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    August: leaner/stronger/kinder than July.
    daily: sit with Joe: 22, weigh/wii: 24/0/0; steps>6704=7084 vits=23, log=24, CI<CO=23, CI<250<CO=18, Tumble=16, Shadow=23, mfp=25, outside=28, up hill=27, clean 10=22.
    wkly: Sun: Mon: Tue:LD YH=1, Wed:TC=2, PW=3. Thurs: Fri:TC=2. Sat:PW=3. rX x4=3.
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/31:142.4 6/30:141.5 7/31:140.2!!! 8/1:141.3 8/8:140.4 8/15:141.5 :rage:
    mnthly: board mtg=1, grant=, plan=, waist=42.0
    bonus: AF:14 play= sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    BARBARA I'm sorry about the mask mandate outside. We had that here for about 6 months and I didn't like it nor find it very useful unless in a crowded place. I tended to wear it below my nose when walking in a quiet street alone. At least it protect a bit from the sun. :D I live in city apartment in a not busy part of city.

VITAMIN B3
    I was able to find 500 mg at pharmacy finally. I also educated the pharmacist! it's odd. they are quite reasonably up to date on research here - good overall medical system on average- and they tend to know about usa research - but this seems to be a blind spot! I send the name of the pills to my dermatologist in case it's useful. It's 13 euros for 30 days of pills here, so 150 per year on that, plus surely more for sunscreen! operation and doctor are covered but not those things! oh well!

HEALTH CARE COVERAGE
    The GP I saw last week requested the health care system full coverage for "long term illness", meaning I don't have to pay any bits in case I might at some point.. (since I have complimentary coverage I don't know if it's helpful at present but it could be at some point.)

Here, basically hospital stuff is often covered 95-100% and doctor's office stuff 70% for base rate (like 70% of 25 euros for appointment with GP) (but if the dr charges more or much more, 40, 80 or 125 euros, say it only covers that first 70% of 25 euros!) But here I think I can't be charged more than the base rate --- maybe --- I'm not really sure. anyway, most of my health care system is the base rate. it can't hurt to have this extra coverage.

What was really surprising is that it was accepted immediately - a day or two after I saw him, which is apparently not common!

nice coffees this morning
    1st place: found great article in paper
    2nd place ran into café-friend neighbour that I see less.
    Sharing w friends family
    I told her about skin thing and I think it made her feel closer. I think she had felt snubbed for some misunderstanding, and seemed to feel closer when I shared that with her. My 1st instinct is to keep it to myself but finally the few people I have shared it with have been really nice and appreciative of the sharing. For her I only said I had a "suspicious beauty mark" to remove at the hospital. (soft explanation for people I know less!). for my friend-colleague yesterday I told her about it more or less, since she had told me about her DH's cardiac emergency she had dealt with this summer. It's also helpful because we work together on volunteer stuff and I have been taking on the lion's share and I am really not up for or maybe even able to keep doing that for now! So it's not bad to let others be informed! to another colleague-sometimes friend who asked about my summer in response to an sms I said I had to stay in town this summer for a very minor, not serious operation. She also sent hugs which are welcome. Trying to figure out way to get away for a few days in a row between upcoming obligations to be in town.

CICO
    Googled right calories for my weight, height, age, activity; it says 1100 average to lose a pound a week. I'm gonna aim for that again and see how that goes. WISH ME LUCK!
    I'm really not highly active at present, alas, after a lifetime of being VERY active, so 1100 is really not so low with working at home etc. I find when teaching out- just travelling and the walking up and down halls around the classroom etc, burns up quite a bit and I need to eat a bit more consistently but with this always at home lifetime, calorie burn has definitely decreased. I used to be addicted to exercise for sure but that is not the case now! I get tired pretty quickly! and if I workout for a long time I'm usually bushed for all else! still seeking my balance!. Tracked breakfast today! have tracked all for about a week except 1 days I forgot, and I was unable to track the end of yesterday today- computer/site bug.

GRATEFUL
    sun
    café
    neighbors
    friends

• bananasandoranges
    Options
    A PIECE OF FRUIT FOR BREAKFAST
    I have been "skipping" breakfast past 2 days. Totally skipping is very uncomfortable for me.
    having just a piece of fruit to not be very hungry seems to work nicely so far. in theory I prefer to have some protein but this fruit only option to hold me over feels good.

Then having "breakfast at about 11.

HOW DID YOU EAT AT HOME OR AT SCHOOL AS A CHILD OR A TEEN?

HOW DID YOUR PARENTS EAT?

How I ate as kid/teen
    breakfast
    I think I must have had a bowl of sugar cereal: I liked trix and fruit loops. :o Bleck!
    As a teen it was better.
    I used to eat a piece of fruit or something for when I was in high school at least sometimes, and it seemed to work ok. I had no morning appetite back then, at least at times, and was surely feeling rushed. It wasn't for dieting.

lunch
    as a kid I was a terrible eater. I disliked almost everything. I would bing my lunch but after age 9 it was not "cool" to bring lunch so I would just not eat lunch; I think I would drink chocolate milk and dessert that's it, almost 100% of days. my older sister taught me that if you cut up your food and move it around they think you ate some and didn't send you back to eat it. LOL! usually we didn't have to bother.

In Jr high I would not use my lunch money for lunch and would have 25 cents left and must have bought some milk or dessert or nothing.

In high school I'd have light-ish "lunch"
    -(I remember alternating between soup and salad option or buying milkshake and or brownie! partly to avoid the too long regular lunch line - we only had 20 min for lunch and 10 would often be spent waiting in line!!!)

dinner
    and regular, or even quite consistent or heavy dinner, (big endless portions of chicken and rice, with red spicy sauce - I liked it - made by mom, who was very very plus sized (more than 2x my weight at my height)....plus custard for dessert, for example, or rice crispy treats, or other, or my dad, divorced, who lived a mile away, would come by and bring a sundae, from ice cream shop,at least 1 or 2 times a week as a way to connect with us no doubt!!! no wonder I was so big on ice cream for so many years!!! we ate almost no veggies my sister's friend noted with alarm!!!)

No wonder I didn't have much appetite in the morning and settled for a piece of fruit! :D

DAD'S eating and health.
    my dad had a MAJOR ice-cream addiction- he also would skip breakfast-- but worse, he'd have half a sandwich for lunch (he worked in a downtown office with a work cafeteria ), a consistent -but canned and processed dinner -- he LOVED canned food- having been raised on it---and then binge on sweets at night!! pint of ice cream, quart of ice cream, fig newtons, pinwheels, store bought pies.... He didn't teach us to budget but only taught my brother.

One of his budget items was... a quart of hand packed ice cream shop ice cream per night or so!!! He was very active, would always go for long walks at least, and in quite decent apparent, health until 60 when all seemed to go awry: heart attacks, teeth issues, sciatic, broken hip after jumping during sports, and surely more.

• bananasandoranges
    Options
    Today:
    15+10 min cleaning
    15 min recumbant
    10pages writing
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    HOW DID YOU EAT AT HOME OR AT SCHOOL AS A CHILD OR A TEEN?

HOW DID YOUR PARENTS EAT?

My mother was a nurse and both my parents were active: walking, hiking, and cycling.

My mother tried to follow the Canadian Food Guide and nutritional guidelines she learned in nursing school.

Breakfast was cereal (usually wheat something) until I was about 17 when I started having 2 boiled eggs with toast. I had been diagnosed with hypoglycemia and it was recommended that I up my protein intake.

"Lunch" was our big meal. Meat, starch (potato or rice, and later sometimes pasta), and veg ... but only one small serving. No second helpings.

Dinner was our small meal. Sandwiches, soup, salad etc. but only one thing like one sandwich on Monday, a bowl of soup and some crackers on Tuesday, etc. We would have dessert with this meal, usually fruit or jello or something like that.

We had a small after school snack = 1 cookie, like 1 Oreo, until I was about 17 when I would have something with cheese = protein.

We had a small before bed snack = 1 piece of fruit.

My brother and I walked or cycled to school except for about 3 months at one school where we took the bus.
    We both got involved in track and field and I joined the badminton team.
    After school we often walked or cycled with our parents and later my mother and I took up cross country skiing.
    On weekends and holidays we cycled and hiked as a family.

All 4 of us were slim and fairly fit growing up. :)

We've all put on some weight at times over the years but generally we've remained slim and fairly fit. My parents will be turning 80 shortly and they've lost quite a bit of weight (deliberately). My father still cycles outside and my mother uses an indoor recumbent bike. My brother had gained some weight but he's lost quite a bit and got involved in dancing and more walking, I think. And you know a bit about me. :)

I may be taking this photo because I'm not there, but it's my father, mother and brother. Given my brother's height and the vehicle (it was one I drove sometimes), I'd say this was maybe 1983 or so. My brother and I would have been in our teens and my parents in their early 40s.

We were on holidays with all our bicycles. :)

nzt1zpyjd3v6.png

Machka in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,098 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Just popped in between doing shopping and lunch to catch up. Our sunny weather has returned this week, so,spending lots of time in the garden.

Tracey: How,shocking for you both. Hubby must be very shaken up. Sounds like an attempted insurance scam to me. Definitely report it to the police, even if only to cover himself. And getting checked over would also be advisable.

Childhood eating:
    Breakfast was either toast/jam or cereal with milk, probably Cornflakes or Rice Krispies. Once a week, on Sunday morning, my father would cook an Ulster Fry for the family, potato bread, soda bread, bacon and sausage.
    I was on free school meals, and was also a table monitor in the school canteen. My school lunch was my main meal of the day, and I often got seconds.
    On Saturday night we had sausage and mash, and on Sunday night we had some kind of meat roast with potatoes and veg. The rest of the week it would be soup and bread, or sandwiches, as we had already eaten a dinner at school.
    No eating between meals, but we would have milk going to bed. All children got free milk in school, and I often had more than one serving, as I had friends who,didn't like milk.

I was very active and loved my food, and was never overweight, until after I had children.

☘️ Terri

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    2 weeks from today we leave on our trip.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Im awake ,
    Goodness Tracey yes I would have police and went to the hospital also
    Wow
    Im staying in today supposed to be real hot out and I dont do well with the heat.
    Will let Tom know Homer is on his own.. poor old guy his eyesight is basically gone and all he does when he comes here is sleep,but to go get him,and have both the dogs in the heat and dragging them back in exhausts me..
    Rebecca - glad they have found someone to watch Athena I did that for about a year for a 4 yr old and a 1 yr old when I was about that age
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    (((Tracey)))I told my brother about a guy who I felt was being aggressive when I was driving. When he finally looked at me and saw it was an old lady who was giving him my best teacher look of what you are doing is so wrong he backed down. I think if I had been a guy he would have esculated it.

Another time I was driving to sons and made the decision not to go through a yellow light. I would not have made it before the light turned red. I saw the woman behind me give me the finger. When the light turned green I pulled over and let her pass. I thought I might have saved you from an accident but it is soooo not worth it.

For what ever reason I do see more aggressive driving. I just treat it like drunk driving and give the driver a wide berth. If I see a banged up car I treat that driver the same way too.

I do live in a city perhaps it is better where there is less traffic.
  • Machka9
    Options
    I was ready to pull my eyeballs out by the end of work today! I spent part of yesterday and all day today comparing numbers across the three large screens attached to my computer at work.

By the time I got home, I had a headache, my eyes were in agony like someone had rubbed gravel all over them, and I felt slightly nauseated.

I laid down on the sofa shortly after 6 pm with a warm washcloth over my eyes intending to lie there for a little bit listening to the paralympics. About an hour later my husband woke me to tell me dinner was ready!

He made cauliflower pies with his pie maker which were pretty good.

M in Oz
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    cereal- as a kid fruit loops and trix but we must have had wheatchex too (a step up) with bananas, and sometimes berries in season, and then evolved to wheatabix (no sugar in the cereal) by the time I was adult.... then at one point I had great fruit salads with nuts and seeds. that wasn't bad.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Health
    The doctor onco-dermotologist from the hospital called! He was very kind. He explained that they necessarily took some of the hypodermis and that they don't always write that in the results, that he spoke to the surgeon who said he took some of what was under the last bit, and gave me clean bill of health. he said there is little risk of it coming back just there but of course a risk of it coming back elsewhere. (58% chance according to the statistics sent by my dermatologist.) That's a relief. He said of course, to of course always wear sunscreen on hands, feet, neck face and to wear a hat. (that is harder - it's so almost not acceptable here! I did order a covering hat on amazon but hadn't realised that, exceptionally it said many weeks for delivery!

I have my sunhat with little brim that I use for camping if I go to a sunny place before then. I'll have to work on finding the look cause virtually no-one wears hats in the city here in the summer. (in winter they wear beanies mostly!) I'll be told I look very British if I wear a hat all the time, for sure! LOL!

Here's a funny short video on hats in Britain by a British historian Ben Lewis. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKncepoeSxo

• Machka9
    Options
    cereal- as a kid fruit loops and trix but we must have had wheatchex too (a step up) with bananas, and sometimes berries in season, and then evolved to wheatabix (no sugar in the cereal) by the time I was adult.... then at one point I had great fruit salads with nuts and seeds. that wasn't bad.

We had Shreddies!
    https://www.postconsumerbrands.ca/brand/shreddies/products/original-shreddies/#:~:text=Shreddies is an iconic Canadian,Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada.

9e6r60yseaz4.png

And Cheerios.

I miss them sometimes.

M in Oz
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🍓🍒🍎
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Tracey – I am so sorry that your DH was stopped on his way home and accosted by strangers. No wonder you didn’t sleep well. Road rage is scary. :noway:

Rebecca – I hope you’re able to get home to Lee soon. :flowerforyou:

Flea – I am glad you are feeling better. I hope each day is better than the day before. :heart:

Pip – I hope you and Kirby have a great trip. Two weeks away seems like a long wait. :star:

M in OZ - Some days DH likes Corn Chex and milk. We both like cottage cheese topped with blueberries and eat them frequently. Now and then we have bacon and eggs. :smiley:

I hope to go to Yoga this morning.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    Well i feel that i did a bit of paper clutter cleaning and in the process for some checks that i could cash and an my insurance card to put in the car..my tax paperwork and I did call and make an appointment tomorrow in a town down near the shore to get my booster shot.. I am aloud to receive it because of the heart surgery and kidney disease..
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    💖