WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2021

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,551 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 18min 42sec, 3.50ap, 138elev, 83ahr, 105mhr, 8.11mi= 738c
    Strava app = 983c
    Zwift home spin bike- 53.19min, 170elev, 187aw, 64arpm, 129ahr, 151mhr, 22.62amph, 20.1mi= 454c
    Zwift app- 574c

Total cal 1192. *no gym, rode extra*
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,953 Member
    Options
    When I was young I made all my own clothes, including lined outdoor coats, skirt suits etc. I made a very complicated Mary Quant shirtwaister and my own wedding dress from a Nina Ricci pattern and real crêpe de chine. I also knitted my own and my boyfriend's sweaters and cardigans.
    Now I make nothing. :p

Got to check out the finer details of our babysitting on Thursday and Friday. The kids are going to a local day 'summer camp' for the week and we are scheduled to pick them up on Thursday, sleep at their place, and take them back there on Friday morning. We have got to get keys and find out pick up point etc. The parents are going to have a date night somewhere nice. :D<3:D

We have all pencilled in a date in early September for my elder son to visit. Hope it comes off! :o

Allie - I would be making my own arrangements to go somewhere lovely. This happens every time. Why would you expect anything different? You can find peace and beauty somewhere else. Nature's serenity is everywhere. <3
    Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I made my second wedding dress- alterations would have cost more than the cost of my hand made dress if I had bought a store bought one and I got exactly what I wanted.
    The most detailed thing I made in high school or since, really was a Gunne Sax dress- back in the late 70's when they were the rage. I also went to the Gunne Sax store and outlet in San Francisco, looking for dresses for a friend's wedding. Bought some amazing lace, trim, seconds(got a beautiful blue satin skirt part of a dress- made a black satin strapless top for it for my ten year class reunion.
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    csofled wrote: »
    csofled wrote: »
    My latest creation!
    Crocheting is such a stress reliever for me. I learned in high school and never stopped! This one and several others will go to Project Linus.

2z2jugncbq3x.jpg

Cheri
    College Station TX

that is AMAZING!!!
    I have tried to crochet a few times. last project was a baby blanket. Got most of it done but when it came to doing the border, I got frustrated and put it away. The baby that it was for is now 38yrs old!! Maybe one day I will try and crochet again
    I learned to sew if 4th grade and that is something I still love to do. If I can loose these last 18 lbs, I will start sewing for myself a lot more. I did make my skirt for dad's service but shocked at the size pattern I had to use.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

Thanks Debbie! I learned to sew in 5th grade during Girl Scouts. I made my clothes all thru high school and college and then made for my kids when they were little. Oh my gosh I cannot even imagine what size pattern I'd need now! And the cost of patterns these days!!! Started quilting in the late 80s. So many quilts and crocheted afghans thru the years!!

Cheri

I was totally shocked when I looked at patterns a few months ago(first time in over 20yrs or so). I used to pay about $2 for them and now they are $20 or more.
    I did find that Hobby Lobby puts the patterns on sale every few months- really cheap prices so I go through the book to see if there are any I really like. There is one design I am looking for but not in the book.
    One trick I did learn/figure out this past year while sewing a LOT of masks(lost count over 250) is to go to the thrift store and buy sheets for fabric- I only get the super soft fabric as that is the most important thing for me. The fabric is also wider which is a bonus on some projects and the cost at this thrift store is really good- $3 for king size sets,less for smaller size sets or individual plus some on discount on top of that
    . I started looking at sheets because of the designs I was hoping to find(super heros and princessses for kids masks).
    The skirt I made for dad's service cost me less than $5 including the cost of the pattern- $2 for that plus less than $3 for the two sheet sets I bought.
    I think I will be doing some sewing projects for Christmas gifts this year.
    Debbie
    Napa Valley Ca

I was dabbling in sewing a few years ago with the help of a friend who's an excellent sewer. but it became clear that sewing was more expensive than buying clothes. the pattern has a cost (of course you can reuse it, or make your own with newspaper, from online info), and also you need to buy decent quality cloth. She makes a lot of her own clothes, even coat with lining and fancy things, but it's a real passion for her. She converted a room to a sewing room when more bedrooms became available.

I have not tried making coats, etc. I prefer working with comfy fabric like cotton and flannel ;)
    One year I made western shirts for all the guys(back first Christmas with hubby #1). My dad still had his so mom is giving it back to me. The other guys I am sure don't have theirs. Former FIL would not fit his- he is half the size he was back then.
    When I can loose this last 18 lbs, I have a beautiful knit that is super soft that I want to make a dress out of. I am looking for patterns now that I will like for it.
    I have a few ideas in my head but can't find the patterns I want. I have never looked for the ones you print online- I need to look into that.
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    <3
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Had Zumba tonight. Nice to have our regular instructor back(not a fan of her sub we had last week- too advanced for me) BUT found out when we got there that we had to wear our mask the whole class. I have no trouble wearing it into and out of the building but I made sure I was at least 15 feet away the closest person. Our county is one of just two that are not mandatory inside so I was surprised to find the note on the door.
    The building has no A/C, just open windows at the top(it is like a school gym/basketball court) and four medium size fans in the corners.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

here sports has been one of the rare indoor where people don't have to wear masks.
    I imagine partly because it's not so easy to do sports with masks on (with heavy breathing).

In gyms you have to wear masks to move around but not while on machines and so on.

Now everyone has to have a "health pass" to go to gyms, and many other indoor shared spaces (museums, movies...): either proof of vaccination, or proof of negative test within past 3 days or proof of having had COVID within the past 6 months.

Yes, wearing a mask while heavy breathing(from exercising) along with asthma is a bit hard.

This mandatory mask is for everyone, no matter if you have proof of vaccination or not.

I would be totally fine wearing my mask going in and out of the gym and if I was getting closer than 10 feet from another student.

Debbie
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Ddddd
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,706 Member
    Options
    Oh Rori- my dear dear friend you are in my thoughts and prayers .and yes we are all in your pocket.. you snuggle up with Mars the leash loving cat and let the tears flow.. and then Bless you girl once your brother has made his transition, you plan and do all the things you have always wanted to do...,you deserve every wonderful thing that comes your way xoxo..
    We have our concert in the park tonight...
    It is a Fleetwood Mac tribute band so will be going to that..
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,457 Member
    Options
    Oh Rori, you have done so much this year, helping those you love transition. I cry with you! Know we're all here for you! 💖. ((((((((big hugs))))))))))
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Rori - so much love headed to you, through you, with you.

Lisa
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Vicki57. Thanks for your donation!!!! $50 more and I’ll get my jersey!!!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Evelyn – I have yet to conquer spoilers. When you figure it out, I’d like a set of directions. :flowerforyou:

Machka—What is a MUP? I just noticed that you explained it to Barbara. :smiley:

Pip Your MS Jerseys may cause local people to think and wonder. We already know you are amazing. :star:

Barbie— DH & I are both double vaccinated and I am wondering about a third “booster.” Have you heard anything about that? :huh:

Allie – “I have been guilted by my daughter into taking Tal up to the cottage for the weekend—” If you enjoy this, I am all for it, but I often think your relatives take advantage of your kindness and generosity. :grumble: I hope this isn't one of those times.

This has been a stay at home day so far. DH ordered a new device from APPLE and we’re waiting for its delivery. He has a new ipad and has ordered a case for it with a keyboard. It is supposed to be delivered this afternoon.

I have been knitting a baby blanket for our unborn grandson. I’m hoping to have it all done before he is born. I have started over more than once due to mistakes. :embarassed: The baby is due in the fall and we plan to be there early to babysit big brother and help our son and DDIL.

Katla in sunny NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Evelyn – I have yet to conquer spoilers. When you figure it out, I’d like a set of directions. :flowerforyou:

Machka—What is a MUP? I just noticed that you explained it to Barbara. :smiley:

Pip Your MS Jerseys may cause local people to think and wonder. We already know you are amazing. :star:

Barbie— DH & I are both double vaccinated and I am wondering about a third “booster.” Have you heard anything about that? :huh:

Allie – “I have been guilted by my daughter into taking Tal up to the cottage for the weekend—” If you enjoy this, I am all for it, but I often think your relatives take advantage of your kindness and generosity. :grumble: I hope this isn't one of those times.

This has been a stay at home day so far. DH ordered a new device from APPLE and we’re waiting for its delivery. He has a new ipad and has ordered a case for it with a keyboard. It is supposed to be delivered this afternoon.

I have been knitting a baby blanket for our unborn grandson. I’m hoping to have it all done before he is born. I have started over more than once due to mistakes. :embarassed: The baby is due in the fall and we plan to be there early to babysit big brother and help our son and DDIL.

Katla in sunny NW Oregon

Awww thx ❤️
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,346 Member
    Options
    Did Kathe Kaehler Basics DVD then because it’s raining I watched 2 episodes of “the Beverly Hillbillies” while I rode the recumbent bike. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Firm Maximum Cardio Burn DVD

debbie – here the gym I go to doesn’t require a mask to walk in/out of the building or when you are exercising. Interestingly...they do still require you to get your temperature taken.

Allie – I’m sorry you’re being treated this way.

I do hope we don’t go into lockdown again. I’m getting used to this not wearing a mask and being able to do things with restrictions (like stores opening later)

Flea – I agree with Barbara, please consider a sign. It’s not a guarantee that people will do it. But more might if you put something on it like “due to an employee having….” Can you do that?

Went with Vince for his allergy shot then stopped at the Salvation Army where I got 3 jigsaw puzzles and a couple of other things. Then to the discount bread store to get a loaf of bread to send to Jess and another one for Colby. I’m going to be sending her a “care” package. Vince wants to take Clyde to the vet later today because he has a discharge from his eye. Personally, I don’t think it’s that bad.

Karen VA – how wonderful of Andrew!!! You sure are lucky to have him. I know he’ll get things worked out.

I’m loving the air fryer lid for my IP! I made tater tots for Vince for later (wonder if I can make them ahead of time and they’ll still be crispy or do I need to make them right before he eats them?). Right now I’m dehydrating the last 2 peaches that I had. Update: they were quite crispy. I need to learn how long to put something in to dehydrate. I think the peaches should have been dehydrated longer

Rori (((HUGS))) Agree with Allie – you do deserve everything good in life

Worked on one of the puzzles. Now for my evening walk.

Michele NC
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Did Kathe Kaehler Basics DVD then because it’s raining I watched 2 episodes of “the Beverly Hillbillies” while I rode the recumbent bike. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Firm Maximum Cardio Burn DVD

debbie – here the gym I go to doesn’t require a mask to walk in/out of the building or when you are exercising. Interestingly...they do still require you to get your temperature taken.

Allie – I’m sorry you’re being treated this way.

I do hope we don’t go into lockdown again. I’m getting used to this not wearing a mask and being able to do things with restrictions (like stores opening later)

Flea – I agree with Barbara, please consider a sign. It’s not a guarantee that people will do it. But more might if you put something on it like “due to an employee having….” Can you do that?

Went with Vince for his allergy shot then stopped at the Salvation Army where I got 3 jigsaw puzzles and a couple of other things. Then to the discount bread store to get a loaf of bread to send to Jess and another one for Colby. I’m going to be sending her a “care” package. Vince wants to take Clyde to the vet later today because he has a discharge from his eye. Personally, I don’t think it’s that bad.

Karen VA – how wonderful of Andrew!!! You sure are lucky to have him. I know he’ll get things worked out.

I’m loving the air fryer lid for my IP! I made tater tots for Vince for later (wonder if I can make them ahead of time and they’ll still be crispy or do I need to make them right before he eats them?). Right now I’m dehydrating the last 2 peaches that I had. Update: they were quite crispy. I need to learn how long to put something in to dehydrate. I think the peaches should have been dehydrated longer

Rori (((HUGS))) Agree with Allie – you do deserve everything good in life

Worked on one of the puzzles. Now for my evening walk.

Michele NC

I would be totally fine with temp check along with wearing the mask the rest of the time but not thrilled with while exercising. Zumba is hard enough on me without the mask on(especially this time of the year because it is already hot and no breeze in the gym as it is.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Rori Hugs 🤗

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    Rori you are an inspiration to us all. Hugs for you as you comfort your brother.