So this is a Cyber Cafe What'll be?

Options

Replies

• Zzyyggy
    Zzyyggy Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Linda as a child our lunches were some kind of sandwich, fruit, chips and cookies with the carton of milk we got at school for 5 cents. We also had a thermous so it was soup sometimes or whatever left over from dinner if there were left overs. I remember eating cold corn on the cob one time after a barbecue, but there was never salad, cucumbers or any kind of veggie. Maybe lettuce with the sandwich. Tomato soup was considered the veggie. So weren't chips. How much we've learned. For dinner tonight I'm going to have meatloaf, mashed potatoes with gravy, dinner rolls with lots of butter, and beans. A coca cola with all that please. For dessert I'll have some chocolate chip cookies and an iced mocha. Do you remember when you could get a carton of milk for 5 cents?
  • LindaK125
    LindaK125 Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Zzyyggy, wasn’t the 5 cent milk a federally funded program? My mom sent us off with sandwiches, no extras. When we got older and could make or buy our own lunches I’d bring a sandwich and buy an apple. My school had a snack machine that sold apples, just apples. Sometimes I’d have just an apple for lunch. The only cafeteria food I ever bought was tuna sandwiches. They were pretty good and better than putting a mayonnaise salad sandwich in my locker.

Francois makes the best meatloaf. I’ll have to have a meatloaf sandwich tomorrow. Right now a cup of tea and some lemon shortbread would be wonderful.
  • Zzyyggy
    Options
    Hi Linda, I think you're right about the milk. Personally I think all junk and processed foods should be taxxed, and that tax pay for all school lunches from kindergarten to high school, but that'll never happen. At the very least all school lunches should be free for all kids, because sometimes that's the only meal some kids get. You can take away my soap box now. For dinner tonight I'm going to have Fried chicken, mashed potatoes with gravy, baked beans and biscuits, and a coca cola. For dessert I'll have some chocolate chip cookies, and an iced mocha. We're heading into a string of gorgeous days for the next few days.
  • Zzyyggy
    Options
    Hi Linda, it's another gorgeous day out there today. Temps were back in the 80s. For dinner tonight I'm going to have some fried scallops with french fries and a coca cola. For dessert I'll have some chocolate chip cookies and an iced mocha. Had the real thing at Starbuck's this morning. Boy do they keep that store cold. Brrrrrr.
  • LindaK125
    Options
    I was so sure I was at the cybercafe last night. Huh, I must have fallen asleep instead. Well, Zzyyggy, we’ve had a couple of nice days in Charlotte, but tomorrow the forecast says rain all day. You have to enjoy those warmer days because there might not be too many more before the colder weather sets in.

Francois made tuna noodle salad served with sliced tomatoes for me earlier. Time for dessert. I’m ready for a slice of caramel apple pie and a cup of pumpkin spice coffee. We can sit by the fireplace in the Club Room and have dessert. Tomorrow my family is finally going to celebrate my birthday. We were scheduled for last weekend, but grandson was sick. He went to school today so I guess that means we’ll see them tomorrow. Maybe I’ll even get birthday cake.
  • LindaK125
    Options
    Beautiful day here at the cybercafe today. I’m sitting out on the terrace under the trees by the gazebo. At home the sun is shining, but it’s been a mostly cloudy and rainy day. A good thing really, still it’s nice to enjoy the sunshine at the cybercafe. I’m ready for dessert now that I’ve had my grilled swordfish, baked potato, and salad for dinner. A trifle with chocolate mousse, chocolate pound cake, raspberry cream, and whipped cream would be nice. A nice hot cup of cafe mocha to finish the evening would be perfect.
  • LindaK125
    Options
    Zzyyggy, I like the idea of taxing junk food and processed foods to fund school lunches, although there is the federal school lunch program. When our church ladies group makes our charitable donations we call the county board of education and they send us to the schools in need. The schools that need the most are the schools that have the highest percentage of students on the federal lunch program. Makes sense, doesn’t it? Some of the school cafeterias send lunch boxes with leftovers home with the students so they have food for dinner or for meals over the weekend, because for some students lunch is the only meal of the day they’ll have. There are churches in our town that have programs that make sure children are provided food for the weekends or serve meals free of charge to families on either Fridays or Saturdays.

It’s a quiet day today at the cybercafe. Actually, it’s been extremely quiet at the cybercafe. I think we’re boring to other people. Maybe ordering food here makes it difficult to stay on track? If you think about fattening food will it make you crave it? Sometimes that might be true for me, except then I remind myself that if I ate all that food I’d probably make myself sick.

In fact, I can’t eat eggs or ham without feeling miserable, but it’s Sunday Brunch at the Cybercafe today and I’m going to order a ham and cheese omelet with hash brown casserole and apple crumble. Viktor has already delivered my carafe filled with my favorite Peet’s Cafe Domingo with cream and sugar. He knows me so well.
  • Zzyyggy
    Options
    Hi Linda, I did another non post again. I wrote the post for yestarday but never posted it. It was still here when I came in this afternoon unposted. Linda I love your city's way of feeding the kids. Burlington and Winooski have the same type of program and a summer one as well for all those under 18. I totally agree with this since I read an article how some schools can't afford the school lunch program. That should be top priority for any school system. End of rant. For dinner tonight I'm going to have chicken, stuffing, gravy, and green beans with dinner rolls and a coca cola. For dessert I'll have some chocolate chip cookies and an iced mocha. I'll join you out on the terrace.
  • LindaK125
    Options
    Zzyyggy, your dinner from last night sounds so good I would have ordered it for breakfast if Viktor hadn’t already brought out my coffee and a basket of mini pastries. I can’t resist Francois’ pastries. The dinner order will have to wait until later this afternoon. I might just order the pumpkin pie with caramel swirl ice cream for dessert tonight.
  • Zzyyggy
    Options
    Hi Linda, another perfect day in the real world weather wise. For dinner tonight I'm going to have the meatloaf platter with mashed potatoes, gravy, dinner rolls and green beans with lots of butter. A coca cola with that please. For dessert I'll have some brownies and an iced mocha. My mochas didn't go up. I had the real thing today and the last time I apparently paid for someone else's coffee. I thought it went up quickly. The owner gave me a coupon for a fee mocha next visit. I was so happy about that.
  • LindaK125
    Options
    Mm, just finishing my pumpkin pie here. Wow, Zzyyggy, what a great manager. That was really nice that you got your money back. Wonder whose coffee you paid for. Did you know there are Oreo pumpkin cookies? They’re vanilla cookies with pumpkin filling. Our daughter-in-law gave Sweetie some this afternoon. He says they’re pretty good. I’m sure there’s some Oreo pumpkin cookies in the kitchen here at the cybercafe. Maybe I’ll have some with an iced mocha while I read my book.
  • Zzyyggy
    Options
    Hi Linda, I'm pooped tonight from my swim. For dinner tonight I'm going to have some spaghetti and meatballs with garlic bread and butter and a salad. A coca cola with that please. For dessert I'll have some chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream with chocolate sauce and an iced mocha. A day full of rain today, but we needed it. Thunderstorms in the afternoon. I think we should have a thunderstorm at the cyber cafe tonight. I'll conjur up a fierce one. No lightning strikes though.
  • LindaK125
    Options
    Whew, that wind is really blowing out there Zzyyggy! Viktor is hanging up my raincoat for me. When you conjure a storm at the cybercafe, Zzyyggy, it’s a doozy. I’m glad Igor got the fire going, we need it tonight. The spaghetti dinner was delicious. I should have stayed by the fire afterwards, but I couldn’t find Useless so I ended up going out in the storm. I should have known that cat would find the barn and a warm place to snuggle down in. He’s sleeping with the goats and Jorge assured me that Useless had dinner and is settled for the night. I think a hot cup of coffee and apple cobbler will help warm me up.
  • Zzyyggy
    Options
    Hi Linda, that was very brave of you to go out and look for Useless. I love conjuring up thunderstorms. We're having a rainstorm now in the real world. Just rain. I'm starving tonight. I think I'll have the fried chicken dinner with mashed potatoes, gravy, and green beans and a coca cola. Biscuits with lots of butter as well. For dessert I'll have a slice of apple pie, vanilla ice cream and an iced mocha. Had the real mocha this morning when I got home after having my blood drawn. This was just the bottled Dunkin Donuts kind, but it's still good. A nice pleasant evening under the stars tonight at the cyber cafe.
  • LindaK125
    Options
    Biscuits and that fresh made sweet apple pie filling and a ham and cheese omelet for me, Viktor. Thanks. Oh, and coffee, too, please.

Pass the butter, please Zzyyggy. I didn’t know Dunkin’ had bottled coffee drinks, but I haven’t been grocery shopping for a long time. I hope your blood draw was just for a yearly checkup. I loved the rain at the cybercafe last night. Looks like it could be two weeks before we see rain again. Of course, the storm gathering strength in the Atlantic just might send us some rain if it doesn’t turn away from the coast. We’ll have to see if it turns into Hurricane Fiona.
  • LindaK125
    Options
    Ah, Viktor, coffee, please. I’ll wait to order breakfast for a bit. I can have my coffee and enjoy the view out the french doors.
  • Zzyyggy
    Options
    Hi Linda, yes both Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts bottle their coffees. They are more expensive then getting them at the restaurants, but when you can't get to the restaurant they are good. I am starving, and want a big bowl of seafood chowder with lots of bread and butter for dipping. A coca cola with that please. For dessert I'll have a basket of devil's food cupcakes with chocolate frosting, and an iced mocha. I'm also tired tonight from my swim.
  • LindaK125
    Options
    Zzyyggy, I’m ready for macaroni and cheese tonight. Viktor took my order and promised to bring out a loaf of fresh baked crusty bread and lots of butter we can share. 😋 I didn’t get any birthday cake on my birthday and since it’s still my birthday month I’m going to order my favorite birthday cake: German chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream icing served with coffee and one scoop of vanilla ice cream and one scoop of chocolate ice cream. The ice cream will be in a separate bowl. I still have issues with certain foods touching.

I assume they’ve been selling bottled Dunkin’ coffees for years, I just never noticed. It’s not the sort of thing I pay attention to. Sweetie is the one who likes to buy treats, but now he mostly buys only what’s on the list and sweet treats don’t generally make the list. There are exceptions, of course. Holidays, grandson, and pumpkin pie come to mind. Do you know how much sodium is in pie dough! Yikes. I’m going to have to make pumpkin custard instead of pie. I wonder if pumpkin oatmeal is good.
  • Zzyyggy
    Options
    Hi Linda, yes I do know how much sodium is in pie dough that's why I've cut down on my pies. Why is everything that tastes good bad for you? Well at least we can have all the bad food at the cyber cafe. I'll go for a huge bowl of macaroni and cheese with that loaf of bread that smells so good. A coca cola with that please. For dessert I'll have a slice of your birthday cake with chocolate ice cream. Happy birthday. And I'll have an iced mocha with that please. I had the real thing this morning from Starbuck's at Market32. That was good. Pumpkin oatmeal does sound good. Although pumpkin has never been one of my favorite flavors. I like apple cinnamon oatmeal.
  • LindaK125
    Options
    Zzyyggy, I made pumpkin oatmeal this morning. It was okay, but I think I’ll make pumpkin butter and then add it to my oatmeal. When you cook the pumpkin down it has a better flavor. Macaroni and cheese and birthday cake again sounds perfect to me. I might just sprinkle some mini M&M’s over my cake and ice cream. 😋