• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,983 Member
    Options
    :)Rebecca Your granddaughter and the dogs--priceless
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,
    Ok, gals! Make those minds climb out of the gutter! LOL When an police officer is on duty in uniform (at least in the city we were in at the time) there were tons of rules about what he/she could do in public in uniform, and dancing in it was on the NO! as was any physical signs of affection until you were married. So, in public we knew each other and were friends – PERIOD. And what went on behind closed doors stayed (and will continue to stay) behind closed doors. Dating a police officer is different than most dating I had done before or after. And honestly it is hard – their life is not their own, and every shift is a bit of a worry, the other officers know a lot about who they are serious about because as a non-spouse you won’t be notified of anything that has gone wrong through official channels. But officers have a wicked slightly dark humor and at least that force LOVED jokes… I got pulled over more than once for no reason except to say hi.
    Rebecca – love the dog/granddaughter matching pose pictures!!!! To fun.
    Lisa - so sad to say goodbye to Colin Powell

Smiles Kim in N. California
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    someone I used to babysit for (40yrs ago) suggested adding red wine to my sauce to cut the sweetness- trying that now. Also trying to find someone who would like the sweeter tasting pasta-I had hoped my son's girlfriend would be coming over and she can try it-They like the Filipino spaghetti sauce- but he went over to her house and didn't want to take any over there. Checking with a friend to see if her husband and son would want to try it.
    Letting the sauce with the red wine simmer(while I enjoy a little glass of it- have never tried this one. Our neighbor who works at a winery gave it to us. It is actually pretty good. Not usually a red wine fan-this is not real dry.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    Kim – Vince worked for Mars, Inc. as an IT manager for 23 years. When he turned 35 they threw him an “over the hill” party. One of the things they gave him was a tube of Preparation H. Love the cop friend arresting you...lol

When people say they use the “self scanner”, do you mean those hand held devices that you scan the food item, bag it, and then take it to a self checkout, scan your phone and pay the price. Or do you mean using the self-checkouts? I loved the ones where you scan the item, bag it and then pay for it. Unfortunately, WalMart who had them found that they were experiencing too much theft and did away with it. Heather – do you use it?

Vicki – fingers crossed for your husband

Rebecca – Athena has such riveting eyes

Ceramics tonight. Started to work on Pinocchio and put the last coat on the mermaid’s fin. I still need to put the last coat on her body, then Michelle (the gal who runs the ceramics) will do the eyes, it gets fired, then I’ll put the Mother of Pearl on it, then it gets fired again, and then I can bring it home!

Newcomer bowling tomorrow

Michele NC
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka what about people who, like we do, live more than 5 km from town?
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD

I imagine they would do like we have done for the past 3 days ... stay home.

We have not left our yard in the past 3 days and haven't minded a bit. :)

We all had 4 hours to get supplies if necessary, before the lockdown started. And I would hope that most people have enough for 3 or 4 days. But if not, then there is the option of delivery.

M in Oz

Wasn't there autorization to go further for basic needs. We had very strict lockdown here but if one lived far from grocery or other authorised shops of course one could go. There was not enough delivery service here for everyone.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Tracey DH wants to stay in our home. Son's home gives me a place to retreat to as we declutter and fix our home. There are positives to both homes. Son's home is ready to sell if needed. I also learned that if we sell our home and then we live in son's home for two years we will not have to pay capital gains tax on either home. Son's home has gone up in value considerably since we bought it three years ago.

That seems worth looking into.
    If your DH wants to stay in your home you could also maybe rent your place or transfer your official permanent resident to son's place.

• bananasandoranges
    Options
    Barbara, great that Joe is walking
    Allie sounds fun!
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    good writing. Got 30 decent pages sent off for correction these days.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,888 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,716 Member
    Options
    pgrbiqik5qt1.jpeg
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,358 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    It's blowing a gale out there and raining. I have a hairdresser appointment for 2 pm, but I think it might have died down by then.

So close to uploading my book. Every time I think about it my I get nervous. It's the technical aspect, not the content so much. I like to do things properly. :*

I more or less jogged back from the kids' house yesterday evening, picking up some food bits on the way. Really felt all the walking in the evening. :o Luckily I only had to watch The Great British Bake Off , and Who Do You Think You Are with Judy Dench. :D
    I remembered when I had all the energy when I watched Edie go off to her cello lesson after school, then play with DH with energy, and then bolt down some pasta and go off to football practice. :o My poor son did the picking up, the cooking of the kids' dinner, and the car run in the evening. He is permanently knackered! He would come back and cook the adult dinner.
    My DDIL was doing Zooms with her patients in the shed in the garden. She came in at 5.50 pm, when we left.
    Each day is different, with different schedules and responsibilities. DDIL does more at the end of the week, but it's full on.

We are having Max for four hours next Tuesday, while Edie is at football club for half-term. Then we are having them all on the Friday afternoon, giving them lunch.

I have to remember to get my tax return in by the end of the month. :o Plus start on some publicity.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,185 Member
    Options

We all had 4 hours to get supplies if necessary, before the lockdown started. And I would hope that most people have enough for 3 or 4 days. But if not, then there is the option of delivery.

M in Oz

Wasn't there autorization to go further for basic needs. We had very strict lockdown here but if one lived far from grocery or other authorised shops of course one could go. There was not enough delivery service here for everyone.

There aren't many people out in the country.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Wednesday ... gorgeous day! Light wind. Temp around 15C. We've had a lot of rain lately so everything is green and blooming.

So we went for a 50 km bicycle ride.

852qrqddworc.png

Distance: 53.59km
    Elevation: 381m
    Moving Time: 2:54:35
    Elapsed Time: 3:04:41
    Speed: 18.4km/h average & 45.5km/h max
    Calories: 905

Machka in Oz
  • bananasandoranges
    Options

M in Oz

Why aren't there many people out in the country? is it too unhospitable in some way?
    Living more than 5 from a serious supermarket it so common here, and also in the usa.

My sister in the usa lives in a rural village about 20 miles from shops. And she is in the east coast.

I lived in rural France and to have anything but the corner store (very limited options and high price) we had to go at least 10 if not 20 km, and again it was not the most intensely rural place.

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: emailed F and L about fence grant, emailed D about check and ABN form, take BP, met J to sign check, post office, library, massage.
    Bonus: Grocery Outlet, recycling, downloaded tax roll spreadsheet and emailed thanks to county.
    Just one thing: unpacked, tried on, repacked and returned LLBean and LandsEnd orders. :{
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, T’ai Chi, make up Tuesday’s line dancing, practice WBW, DM, SWTD, SL, learn the rest of GDLL, backup files, then call pc guy to schedule tuneup, fill in booster vaccine form with Joe, text C, make up Saturday’s pack walk, fire district: board meeting minutes, arrange to meet J to sign check, research district tax exemption for volunteer firefighters, AFG grant requirements including NIMS, call NFPA cancel inactive accounts, clarify benefits included in annual dues, input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS, index mutual aid files and share with L; start Part D research with new rx info, watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, learn new dances (Tequila Little Time, Homesick, Nothing but You, A Little Less Broken, Blame it on my beating heart, Do Your Thing, practice dances: All Night, TGIF, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove, ask Te about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Sunday: call S, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this fall’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers and beit alpha cukes next year).
    Reminder: Weekly: Mon=15 mins SWSY. Tues=30 mins line dance at home. Wed=30 mins T’ai Chi & 1 hr pack walk. Thurs=15 mins BB&B. Fri=30 mins T’ai Chi. Sat=1 hr pack walk. Sun=15 mins pilates, yoga or wii balance games.
    October
    19: Identify one of your positive qualities that will be helpful in the future. Attitude of gratitude.
    20: Find joy in tackling a task you’ve put off for some time:

Heather, yours, Mary’s and Rebecca’s to Kim :laugh:
    Vicki prayers for your DH’s tests today, may they reveal issues that are easily repaired.
    Julie 30 pages, WOW!

If we won millions in the lottery:
    1-ask our financial advisor to recommend a lawyer
    2-meet with trust officer at bank
    3-set aside half for whatever Joe wanted to do
    4-set up ¼ in 3 trusts, 1 to loan nephews house down payments, 1 to go to god daughter, 1 for charitable donations
    5.use last ¼ to build new house on our second lot, all one level, ocean view, swim spa, dog bath/grooming area, raised bed gardens, wood burning fireplace insert, open concept with built in bookshelves and a library ladder.

Guess I’d better buy a ticket :lol:

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    October: leaner/stronger/kinder than September.
    daily: sit with Joe:19, weigh/wii: 19/3/46; steps>7228=7550 vits=19, log=19, CI<CO=19, CI<250<CO=15, Tumble=16, Shadow=16, mfp=19, outside=21, up hill=18, clean 10=15.
    wkly: Sun:P, Y or W=3, Mon:SWSY=3 , Tue:LD=2 , Wed:TC=1.87 , PW=2, Thurs: BB&B=2.1, Fri:TC=2.77, Sat:PW=3, rX x4=3.
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/31:142.4 6/30:141.5 7/31:140.2 8/31:140.0 9/30:141.2 10/3:141.3 10/10:141.8 10/17:141.8 :astonished: 10/24: 10/31:
    mnthly: board mtg=1 , grant=2, plan=, waist=42.
    bonus: AF=11, play=46 sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    struggling with staying on track today in terms of CICO. (as is often the case! )lately I've been having a piece of fruit or something early just to stave off hunger, and a very very late breakfast. today I felt a bit queasy and hungry and had some crackers and some essence bread, nearly half of my measly calories. then I had light breakfast (high protein) coming back. but when I eat lighter early in day I just get hungry and want to eat more. still struggling. I was about 121 lbs maxi-is for a good 20 years with little effort and for past few years slight increase up to about 135 lbs which puts me slightly above my ideal BMI, which I've almost never been.

I did a quality online longevity test which said I could lose a few pounds and exercise more to gain a two or three years. Of course it's not so black and white as that, just a trend.

Delivery whinge.
    Tuesday I was to have a heavy piece of furniture delivery. I was notified it was to come between 1 and 3. Then at 10 I got a notification it would arrive at 12:30. So I left at 10:45 ish to be sure to be there by 12h. Then I kept getting notifications that it would arrive in 30 min, until 3pm. Finally I got notification that they went to the wrong address at the other side of town and it was impossible to reach anyone; I spent about 1-2 hours and many (paying) calls and they kept transferring me to a number where it hung up. I gave up at around 3:30 or 4:00 and went home. Today I called and they did the same thing. then I called again and the 2nd person said that my mail sent yesterday was registered and they will contact me tomorrow to re-schedule.
    Minor on the large scale of things, but hellish when experiencing it and it's not a good moment for that. It would have been less of an issue had I been at home but I was at the rental apartment far from home. Positive side - I discovered a nice lunch place nearby and had a little meal (veggie bowl or something like that) and chatted with a young mother on maternity leave there with her daughter- who works in the same general field as me...

I totally disconnected from it yesterday and waited till today to call. Its like when the cable guy or something just doesn't show up and keeps giving you the run around.

thank goodness the concierge in the building is really nice and said he will reception it this time.

Landlady whinge
    I have 2 tiny studio apartments that I bought on credit that tend to be break even or slight loss but will be paid off in 2025 and 2028. a tiny help, as my retirement points are ankle high. Since they are tiny and furnished (but nice!) it's students or young adults rent for a year or two or three. One had given his notice for early October. But he said he lost all his keys. I gave him a spare key, and he didn't want the other one. He tried to change the lock but the locksmith he called who gave no receipt, broke the lock. Pain in the butt. A locksmith I know said it would be 200 to fix it (I had sent a pic of the lock), when there he said max 300 if he needs to order something, it ended up being 350! I tried to reason with him - relative to his promise- but it was too much hassle. I think in fact he had to spend a lot of time fixing it, looking for parts, but it's partly fiction too.

Meanwhile in the other apartment around the same time, the renter, there for 14 months called to say he has bedbugs. He was freaking out and polite in tone and words, but rather accusatory, as if I was the cause of the bedbugs, 14 months after his arrival. I told him the products to treat it (diatomic earth) which he got and applied, but he got advice from everyone and his brother, and followed the most varied and panicky advice. Someone told him not to sleep there and that irradication is impossible without very toxic products. (not true!) So he notified everyone - as we are required to do- and now I have to pay for 2 treatment of toxic, non-guaranteed product. I can deal with that, but he keeps sending mails saying how stressed he is, how the bugs could have been there before he arrived, that it's a problem with the apartment. (it's a nice building no problems, apparently no-one else thinks that they have bedbugs). The concierge THERE is a pain in the butt. To the renter he told him that I have to pay for it, and to me as I was going to pay for this treatment -rather long to organise -the concierge told me that it's the renter who has to take care of it. I think he's trying to do good but what a pain in the butt. This young-ish renter is easily influenceable and listens to the most panicked person, and sends mails saying how stressed he is, that he had to go back to his parents. then when I question that, he says he had to go there for other reasons. blah blah blah. just a bit much in the emergency department to deal with. when there are other pressures.

upside, sent out 14 pages today for feedback and sent 10 pages last night for correction and today is a pretty quiet day for working (hopefully!)
  • Machka9
    edited October 2021
    Options

M in Oz

Why aren't there many people out in the country? is it too unhospitable in some way?
    Living more than 5 from a serious supermarket it so common here, and also in the usa.

My sister in the usa lives in a rural village about 20 miles from shops. And she is in the east coast.

I lived in rural France and to have anything but the corner store (very limited options and high price) we had to go at least 10 if not 20 km, and again it was not the most intensely rural place.

It's country.

People have farms and raise cattle and sheep, or grow hay or grain or veg or have orchards. Many of them have big gardens. Most rural/farm people are prepared to live for a while without going to a store. It would be inconvenient to drive to a store to get something every day.

So a 3-day lockdown wouldn't likely have much effect on country people.

Also, the population of Tasmania as a whole is 541,071. The population of southern Tasmania is 279,002. The population of Greater Hobart is 238,834. That leaves 40,168 scattered around on farms or in small towns throughout the rest of southern Tas.

I live in a suburb/town some distance out of Hobart (but still within Greater Hobart). Most people in my area live within 5 km of 3 largish supermarkets. Plus there are smaller supermarkets. We get our groceries delivered, but we'll walk 400 metres to the small supermarket in our local area to pick up fruit and veg and a few other things.

Our small local supermarket:
    a7vqyrub651b.png

Country ... in southern Tasmania
    zf4wqvvseurd.png
    hwjq49gu1ipt.png

M in Oz
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Had my booster jab yesterday, arm is a bit sore but ok otherwise. DH won’t have the 3rd jab as he had bad reaction to the 2nd one. Kids are not pleased but he is a grown man, makes his own decisions!
    Weather is miserable this week, rainy but mild, forecast to get colder from tomorrow.

Stay safe

Kate UK ❤️
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    M in OZ it's true a 3 days lockdown is pretty short. Was it useful? I have never heard of such a short one!