WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2021

Options

Replies

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Debbie - thank you! My sympathies on the reset button. For me, that button pops up when I hear myself saying, "I'll start on Monday," or "I'll wait 'til I've gotten rid of the junk food." The absolute worst for me is, "It's just too hard to be on a diet over the holidays." The only way I can stop that attitude is to reset right now. Not after dinner, not tomorrow. Now. I've wrenched myself back on the path on a Wednesday afternoon. And it's much better if I remember that it's not a diet - it's changing my attitude to food for the better. Might not work for you - but I have faith that you'll figure out what does. As far as getting on the elliptical for two minutes, do it! Then tomorrow, do three... it's the best way to make it into a habit.

Regards,
    Lisa in AR
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Yes oh those quick jumps in the night like a dog throwing up, especially if its on the bed..or in my case when Tom took Homer out for a walk and he got sprayed by a skunk and he let him in the house and run all over the place and guess who had to get up and give him a bath and do all the bedding? Sure wasnt him he went off to work.
    Christmas cookies I do remember making those every year with my mom.. gingerbread men and sugar cookie cut outs.. we had those silver balls you cant find any more.. and cinnamon red hots and different red and green icings.. oh the wonderful smells of the house.. and i think for my first Christmas my grandparents got me a stuffed gingerbread man that had a music box inside and I had that for a long long time..
    So nice to remember such lovely memories
    My friend is helping with wreaths across america tomorrow and will be over at the veterans cemetery where my parents are buried.. she always trys to do my parents grave and send me a picture which is so sweet.
    Another friend of mine here where I live lost her sister overnight ,it was expected but its so sad around the holidays.. we are here for her if she needs anything..she was a year younger than Susan at 82
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie – You have lovely decorations for your morning walk. I have to confess a bit of envy, and that envy is that you’re walking with your dogs. I miss my sweet old boy every day and look forward to finding a new puppy in the coming year.

This morning I plan to bring our Christmas tree into the living room and begin decorating it. The tree is a living Alberta Spruce. It has been acclimatizing in the garage for the past few days so it will not go into shock in the warm house. On the good side, we’ve had a mild fall and winter isn’t here yet so the difference in temperatures is not as dramatic as it has been in the past.

My computer is working fine at the moment, but it may need to be serviced or replaced. I bought this computer in 2009 and it has served me very well all these years. I like it and really do not want to replace it but I wouldn’t mind replacing the battery. Sometimes I don’t get what I want. We will see how it goes.

Katla in OR
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    M and Heather thank you for the laughs with the tree and Bingo. I was able to share the tree with my Grow with Kare on Facebook. They are enjoying it too! Many right now are posting trees and greenary arrangements so it fits right in to the site.
  • Katla49
    edited December 2021
    Options
    I am ready to bring our living Christmas tree into the house. It is a dwarf Alberta Spruce. I can bring the tree in on my own, but I want DH to participate in the process of bringing the tree into the living room and decorating. He is currently napping.

While I’m waiting for DH’s help moving the tree inside I have spent time putting out old and favorite ornaments. One is a Christmas Tree music box that was given to me by my grandmother when I was about 9. I have loved it all of these years. The original “tree” got to the point it was looking very ratty, so I bought an artificial tree of the right size to replace it. I installed the new tree on the music box. I have put many tiny ornaments on its branches over the years. The original music box still sings its Christmas songs.

My favorite Christmas ornament was a gift from our daughter when she was a teen. She made a glorious Father Christmas out of red and white crinkly paper. It is now standing in the middle of my piano.

I promised myself to bring our tree inside today, and to decorate it. It is currently early afternoon and I am eager to get started.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    B)
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,093 Member
    Options
    ☘️ Terri
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
    q9cr7t5kahkz.jpeg
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,344 Member
    Options
    Worked, soup kitchen then to WalMart for a prescription for Vince. Stopped at Food Lion to see if they had lobster bisque and needed some raisins. They’re the only store that carries the small boxes. Then had to go to Publix for the lobster bisque, stopped at CVS and this time my item went thru for the refund, now home

Took some sourdough bread to the soup kitchen but brought some of it home. We haven’t had that in a while. Speaking of bread – today at the soup kitchen they gave (to me this was yuk) a piece (some people got 2) of pizza, a piece of cheesy bread, crackers, and some chicken salad. Talk about lots of bread!

Heather – you are one terrific writer. But then again, we all knew that

katla -you have so many Christmas items with such good memories. I still need to wrap Vince’s presents

Michele NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Well sheesh yup about an hour or so of sleep and here i am awake..
    I go see the cardiologist after Christmas will see if he has any suggestions.. this is getting a tad rediculous.. im already on enough meds even with the Cpap and melatonin sleepytime tea and all still not doing the trick...
    Im hoping to get a decent amount of sleep as im going out with the girls tomorrow to the show and dinner
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,824 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
    Eeeeee
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,740 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!

Heather and Lisa - thanks for checking on me.
    I have been reading every night so have kept caught up but have been too tired to comment much.

I have had a couple of weeks of long days. As usual I had too many projects on the go that I needed to finish for Christmas. On top of my personal projects I also ended up somehow deciding that volunteering to make gift packets for staff at work would be a good idea.

The staff packets were a lot more labour intensive that I thought they would be. I worked all day Sunday and every evening Mon, Tues and Wed. They were a hit with the staff though.

I have it all mostly done now. We are having Christmas with our youngest daughter on Sunday so I have to get all of their presents wrapped tomorrow. I will be giving a couple of small Christmas decorations to the grandchildren on Sunday for something to open.

This coming week I have to finish 5 ornaments and hopefully the original ceramics piece I started for myself. I do have most of my shopping done thankfully! Just my 1 son in law and maybe a couple stocking stuffers left to go.

I’ll post pictures in a spoiler because it’s been a lot!
    tg18ibjlpy0i.jpeg
    zanzvxx1d30l.jpeg
    1xn75mcp49s5.jpeg
    v300s01nzy2l.jpeg
    6v21hp4wk0n4.jpeg
    nkbcw4e94cjc.jpeg
    0uc21gawhy05.jpeg

I had my follow up appointment with my doctor today regarding my BP, she is quite happy with it. She did give me a prescription to help with some menopause issues and I have to have an ultrasound to ensure there is nothing more serious going on.

I have a couple of friends that have been having some life altering problems and I am never sure how to turn them down when they need to talk. Sometimes it’s exhausting though.

Allie - are you worrying about things? That always causes me insomnia. Funnily enough when I started keeping a gratitude journal I sleep very well. I read a book when I was at a low point and it really resonated with me. It was called “The Gratitude Diaries” by Janice Kaplan.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    8j08o7zcvedr.png
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,211 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Tracey - Soooo happy to see you back with us! <3
    I highly recommend that that you read and inwardly digest the book that Margaret talked about and I have also read.
    'Set Boundaries, Find Peace', by Nedra Glover Tawwab.
    It's extremely cheap on Kindle.
    You are such a hard worker, and such a loving person, but sometimes it is all too much. <3 Ornaments are huge fun. All great but I love the shared bath! :p

Anyway, happy to see you! :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Rebecca – I have a potted Alberta Spruce tree and brought it into the house and decorated it today. It has come inside our house to be our Christmas tree for several years. After New Years I plan to put away the decorations and move the tree back outside. :bigsmile:

Meg – It is good to see you!!!

Barbie – I jotted down the measurements for your Project Linus blankets. Thank you. I will likely be looking for yarn to start a new project in the near future. :bigsmile:

Barbara – I have kept the aluminum tree because it was my Dad’s. We set it up for Christmas a few years ago. I don’t plan to part with it, but I’ll keep you in mind if I change my mind. Thank you for your offer to help me getting onto this thread. It used to be so easy. I may need to PM you for guidance. I did get in today without too much difficulty.

Our Christmas tree is in the house and decorated!!! I am very pleased with it. The living room seems much more cheerful now.

Katla in rainy NW Oregon
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Tracey, so good to see your post!

I've become a mouth-breathing, itchy-faced, snotty little sniffler, either a cold or allergies. Up to take some cold meds and headed back to bed.

Later y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    It's Saturday evening.

In the past 2 days ...

- Visited a beekeeping supply store and picked up a few things like beekeeping gloves, a smoker, and 1 litre of leatherwood honey.
    - Picked up a few things for the Christmas decorations I'm making.
    - Worked on several decorations.
    - Weeded some of the garden and some of the lawn. Just call me a mole! I'm busy digging holes throughout the lawn.
    - Planted some more flowers.
    - Painted the roof of the beehive. It will need a couple more coats.
    - Walked to the beach and waded in the water.
    - And hauled 600 kilograms of gravel!!

And more. :)

We've now hauled 2 tonnes of gravel for the footpath!

Milder than some leatherwood honeys I've had but creamier.

nu896w80jw5c.png

M in Oz