• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,457 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Rebecca — We have cast iron pots and pans and love them. We use them regularly and wash them with liquid dish soap and rinse them. We set them on the dish drainer to dry. Once they are dry I rub them with olive oil or other vegetable oil to keep them safe from rust. DH & I both enjoy the food that is cooked in them. ❤️ We bought an instant pot when they came out. DH loved it when it was new. It works okay as a pressure cooker, but we seldom use it. The cast iron pots and pans are our favorites. 🖤 🥰

Nice! My scrubbing resulted in 4 very clean, but still blackened bottomed burners. They were black before we even moved in. So they'll be black whenever we move from here, if ever. With rentals nothing is permanent so that's why I say "when we move" because its just easier.
    zln5rgl2n01i.jpg
    I do need to put a towel or something, under where I store them. The wood on the shelf is showing an oil mark.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Options
    smrsfaith wrote: »
    Hello Group

I would like to join you here. I am over 60 years old, married with children and grandchildren (our sunshine). We have a very active pup that keeps me moving most days. Which is really good.. even when I don’t feel like it. I dabble with gardening and we’re building a dyi chicken coop and getting baby chicks next month. I was close to goal and gained some back.. to drop again. But taking it slowly. I want to work on my strength, stamina and get stronger in every avenue of my life.

faith/CA

Welcome Faith, from Whidbey island in Puget Sound in Washington State! These are a great group of ladies, all in different stages of our health journey. Feel free to vent, gush, and post pics of your dog and grandkids!
    Rebecca
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Rebecca ~ How do the bottoms of your cast iron pans get oily? Guess I don't understand.

Carol in GA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    Well me washing the cast iron in the sink with kosher salt, then placing on the burner to heat all the water away, just made all the the water go down into the burner pans and turn back to oil. So one of the burners this morning caught fire! Lee blew out the flame , so it didn't even set off the smoke detectors. So I guess with me scrubbing the cast iron in the sink, it does take all the oil residue away from inside, but then the hot water kind of redistribute it throughout the whole surface of the pan. Now after I have cooked something in it, taken the food out, I do fill with water and bring up to a low boil, scraping it so all the food particles loosen. Then carefully take it over to the sink and pour it down, with hot water from the tap running. So I guess instead of using the burner to heat up any water that's on the outside, I just need to dry with paper towel, then either put in the oven to make sure there isn't any moisture in its pores to rust. I do put a thin layer of oil on the inside only. I like to cook with these, but I don't want the oils from them to get on my burners, nor have a stopped up drain from cleaning them. I do not have a disposal. But I have a mesh drain cover.
    Presently all the burner rings and pans (they're connected) are soaking in hot water, and I will scrub them with SOS pads. Fun city!
    So do many of you take the recycle or reuse thing a bit too far? I buy these certain brand of nacho chips and the bags are really durable! I am mailing a pen pal my son's shower curtain, (because I wanted a new one), and I bubbled wrapped it and slipped it in the chip bag.
    ymnaemer7d71.jpg
    Its made of this plastic just like the proper mailers so hopefully after the post mail stops laughing, he'll mail it!
    I also reuse my plastic bags a couple of times. I use my mineral water bottles to help the drying process!
    92hcssgspb20.jpg
    Also those lids the grated parmesan cheese use, they fit perfectly on Amy !as on jar. I use the plastic jars too for things like the salad toppings.
    dm99bj62t0m4.jpg
    Ok my Recycling 101 class is done. Lol!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

If you go back to my cabbage picture you'll notice white stuff on the ground. That's mulch - our own home made paper mulch. Just about all our paper products get shredded (by my husband using a shredder) and placed on our garden to retain the moisture because we can't water much.

We also collect rain water for the plants.

M in Oz
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Barbara, either Pfizer or Moderna.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,554 Member
    Options
    We were at pismo beach in California
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Accountability:
    Chose well: Joe, readings, BP, dogs to powerline, dog group, steps >7400, CI<CO, CI<250<CO, active 5:14
    Bonus: veg prep, back to Bad Girls Bible Study.
    Workin’ on it: 143.5, DOH!, H206.
    Friendly February 2022
    16: Check in on someone who may be struggling and offer to help. D&R? C? Ru?
    17: Appreciate the good qualities of someone in your life.

Machka gorgeous cabbage! What about sauerkraut?
    Allie thank goodness for the favorable results, both yours and your DD’s. Fingers X’d the dietician has some helpful ideas. Brava for setting a boundary with Carmine.
    KJ and Katla I like my cottage cheese with citrus (clementines, navel oranges, red grapefruit) in the winter and black cherries and white peachs in the summer. Spring and fall its either pineapple or no cottage cheese for me.
    Annie brava for not giving up. Well done!
    Debbie glad to hear your mom is ready to scale back the plantings. Any hope to get help (4H-ers or?) with garden maintenance? Last year pastor’s wife gave me a zucchini plant that did fine potted in the plastic mini-greenhouse on the porch. I nipped ‘em off when they were tiny, the way I like them, and it produced all summer. Thanks for the frozen cottage cheese to ricotta texture tip.
    Vicki good job keeping up with the gym.
    Katla AHA! So it was YOU who snuck that monster zucchini into my parked car when I left the window open :laugh:
    Michele Joe has noticed how the cereal boxes have gotten narrower, but more expensive. Pfaugh. “…toilet and the end of the driveway…” :laugh:
    Kim (and Tracey) “…lives at your house…” LOL!
    Pip which beach? Heartstopping pic. And how can you tell that face it’s time to go?
    Rori :love: $400 off your lavender phone.
    Betsy good luck with your cataract surgery. Joe’s improved his vision dramatically and immediately. Prayers for the stent, that it allows you to manage glaucoma without drops, what a great hope. Sounds like you have a great Part B supplemental plan.
    Barbie :love: the comfy crew
    Mary fingers X’d for the grands’ visit.
    Heather hooray for SHORT visit. Two years waiting for surgery, how I hate the impacts of this virus. “…always great when you start out with a reluctant heart, struggle for a bit..” true of so many things, activity, interpersonal intentions… ((hugs)) and hoping the shock wears off soon and ankle heals fully before the cruise. Will there be dancing on board?
    Terri “. . .DH and I will continue to protect ourselves as best we can.” Ditto.
    One of my dance pals said “Government says you don’t have to mask when dancing, when will you be back.” My reponse was that I don’t care what the Government says, it’s a personal responsibility issue. Joe and I are both over 70, over weight and former smokers, so even though we’re double vaxxed and boosted, chances of complications are not good. I also have to tell myself that doing all I can to keep us safe is more important than dancing or singing indoors with friends.
    Karen, didn’t know that about the 4th dose, thank you SO much for posting. Does Pfizer vs Moderna make a difference?
    Ginny, didn’t know about Applie watch’s fall monitor. What a great idea. Understand it can also monitor heart activity. Might have to start saving…
    KJ ((hugs)) So frustrating for you that he doesn’t take your advice seriously, for him that to ease pain he has to burn his skin. Any alternatives?
    Julie “soy yogurt” :sick: My breakfasts are always “veggie free” unless there are potatoes :laugh:
    Barbie thanks for the stories of how Olympic skaters did their best to keep safe.
    Lisa glad to see you posting, sorry and angry for what the SocSec and VA systems are putting you through. Bravissima for persisting. That “per lifetime” restriction is both chilling and unbelievable. Hope there is an ombudsman or other appeals option. Your service entitles you to better treatment.
    Carol, prayer for your DnL’s missionary mom said. Danger zone.
    Carla enjoy your retreat! Hope it’s a real de-stressor.
    Welcome @jpeters25 Joni in Tulsa! Let us know a little about you?

All caught up from yesterday at last. Time to get up off my duff.
    Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2022: Be still and listen.
    9t3jkbnhrfio.gif

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Carol, I have cast iron pots and occasionally spray a small amount of olive oil spray on the inside of the pot to prevent rust.

Katla
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    It’s a clear bright day after the storm yesterday. Still breezy, but will probably get outdoors to walk. There is a second, worse storm forecast for tomorrow.

It’s so good to see the earlier sunrises as spring approaches.

Debbie: I inherited a love of growing things from my mother. Growing and eating your own food is so satisfying.

☘️ Terri

I inherited a love for gardening from both of my parents. We have always had a garden- small one with everything up on trellises when I was very little because we didn't have much ground where we were renting-it was in the country but tons of wild blackberries.
    When we moved to where mom is now, we started planting a full acre- that was for our family and relatives, then it was for Farmer's Market then to sell to the restaurants in town. This past year we only planted the front half and that didn't do well(lack of water and care). This year mom says we will plant less. All the neighbors who told her they would come help, didn't.
    To me, there is nothing better than home grown tomatoes and cucumbers.

Debbie
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Oh, I forgot the cherry on top of the VA sundae... Got my annual letter in the mail that shows the VA benefits I receive (which at that very moment made me roll my eyes back so far I'm pretty sure I saw my brain... 🙄 ). I picked the letter back up again yesterday while I was filing stuff - and in glancing over it, I saw they are still using my previous married last name (Mrazik). I was married to Corey, my current and final husband, 13 YEARS AGO.

80ib2grckf4w.png

When ever I go to Kaiser or to the pharmacy in Safeway, I have to remember to give my friend's birthday instead of mine. When dh signed me up almost 30yrs ago, he put the wrong date-off by one day- He has tried over the years to have them fix it. When he retired, had to fix again, went back full time status, yep, it is wrong again. They say they have fixed it but it keeps reverting back to 3/7 instead of 3/8.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,708 Member
    Options
    Nighty night ladies 😘
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Barbara — We had three Phizer Vaccinations. The first vaccination was followed by a second about thirty days apart. We had headaches. We had a flu shot, and then the third Pfizer. I had a bit of a headache from the third Pfizer. DH was sick after the third Pfizer. The whole process has kept is healthy & I am glad we did it.

Katla
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Whidislander
    Options
    1948CWB wrote: »
    Rebecca ~ How do the bottoms of your cast iron pans get oily? Guess I don't understand.

Carol in GA

I don't have a clue! Lol!
    Rebecca
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Well me washing the cast iron in the sink with kosher salt, then placing on the burner to heat all the water away, just made all the the water go down into the burner pans and turn back to oil. So one of the burners this morning caught fire! Lee blew out the flame , so it didn't even set off the smoke detectors. So I guess with me scrubbing the cast iron in the sink, it does take all the oil residue away from inside, but then the hot water kind of redistribute it throughout the whole surface of the pan. Now after I have cooked something in it, taken the food out, I do fill with water and bring up to a low boil, scraping it so all the food particles loosen. Then carefully take it over to the sink and pour it down, with hot water from the tap running. So I guess instead of using the burner to heat up any water that's on the outside, I just need to dry with paper towel, then either put in the oven to make sure there isn't any moisture in its pores to rust. I do put a thin layer of oil on the inside only. I like to cook with these, but I don't want the oils from them to get on my burners, nor have a stopped up drain from cleaning them. I do not have a disposal. But I have a mesh drain cover.
    Presently all the burner rings and pans (they're connected) are soaking in hot water, and I will scrub them with SOS pads. Fun city!
    So do many of you take the recycle or reuse thing a bit too far? I buy these certain brand of nacho chips and the bags are really durable! I am mailing a pen pal my son's shower curtain, (because I wanted a new one), and I bubbled wrapped it and slipped it in the chip bag.
    ymnaemer7d71.jpg
    Its made of this plastic just like the proper mailers so hopefully after the post mail stops laughing, he'll mail it!
    I also reuse my plastic bags a couple of times. I use my mineral water bottles to help the drying process!
    92hcssgspb20.jpg
    Also those lids the grated parmesan cheese use, they fit perfectly on Amy !as on jar. I use the plastic jars too for things like the salad toppings.
    dm99bj62t0m4.jpg
    Ok my Recycling 101 class is done. Lol!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

If you go back to my cabbage picture you'll notice white stuff on the ground. That's mulch - our own home made paper mulch. Just about all our paper products get shredded (by my husband using a shredder) and placed on our garden to retain the moisture because we can't water much.

We also collect rain water for the plants.

M in Oz

Hey that works!👍💖. I was gonna ask you if it snowed there recently, but knew it wasn't that as its your summertime.😂🙃😁
    Rebecca