WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2022

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) What I do indoors--knitting, watching TV, riding exercise bike, reading, line dancing.

When I found out that our son and daughter-in-law were going to have their first child, they also told me that the two other mothers were knitting up a storm. One of my thoughts was, "Oh dear! I don't know how to knit!"

But then I figured they'll get a lot of knitted stuff so we'll do something else. :)

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Indoor hobby. Reading. I used to love cooking and baking, but that's waned a bit since my husband and son have put on quite a bit of weight. I feel like I'm enabling them when I bake. Way back in the day, I used to do pen and ink drawings with watercolors on consignment. I may try my hand at it again someday. And I've always had an interest in amateur photography. Something else to consider.

Beth

I like baking too ... but I can't do as much of it as I would like because I also like to eat my baking!!

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    kszj9nijjwxm.png
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Lisa ... the VA and your experiences with it are just mind boggling to me.

Rebeca ... While I don't have any military service, I too can wake up without an alarm ... usually an hour before it is set to go off ... which is really annoying. Doesn't matter if it's for 5:00am either ... awake I am at 4:00am then. No problem falling asleep anywhere either at anytime. I can sleep sitting up in a waiting room chair.

My phone sits on a charger base on my nightstand. Being deaf, I can't hear the thing at any time. I wear an apple watch during the day that vibrates and gives me a visual. At night, I let my husband deal with incoming calls on the phone lines ... cell phones as well as a landline we still keep for my caption service.

Indoor hobby. Reading. I used to love cooking and baking, but that's waned a bit since my husband and son have put on quite a bit of weight. I feel like I'm enabling them when I bake. Way back in the day, I used to do pen and ink drawings with watercolors on consignment. I may try my hand at it again someday. And I've always had an interest in amateur photography. Something else to consider.

Beth

I admire you all with internal clocks! Sadly, I think if husband didn't wake up early, I would probably just sleep until 10am every morning. I really am quite lazy. I will admit it.
    I think each of the ladies here do what we have to do, and what works for us.👍. I am happy you have technology tools that assist you! 💖
    I have noticed since eldest son has left, my husband wants to do more cooking on his own. I do still cook 50% of the time during the week. He's in charge of his breakfasts and sometimes we share lunches or dinners. He does dislike my "complicated" soups and stews. Too many items in there he doesn't eat.
    Hugs friend!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

My internal clock tells me to go to sleep about 1:30 am and get up about noon.

Not sure if I'm lazy or just that tired.

I also can fall asleep just about anywhere. I can nod off in lectures, meetings, waiting rooms, during MRIs and CT scans, during root canals if the dentist doesn't talk for a bit, on the bus of course ... anywhere I can just relax for a minute.

M in Oz

You stay up late😁. I try to be in bed by 9:30 pm most nights. I just get punchy by about 11 pm. I used to sleep in until 10 and sometimes 11 am on weekends, and my husband would get so annoyed! I have gotten better and its been years since I have slept in past 11 am. You have a lot on your plate friend! Me I haven't really even had a darn plate.🙃.
    My husband once nodded off before a upper endoscopy and the nurse saw him sleeping and just assumed he had already had the procedure. I was called in and then I saw another nurse rush and stop the first nurse from giving him juice! Silly nurses! He went in finally, and I went back to the waiting area.😂😂
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    <3
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,824 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Rebeca ... While I don't have any military service, I too can wake up without an alarm ... usually an hour before it is set to go off ... which is really annoying. Doesn't matter if it's for 5:00am either ... awake I am at 4:00am then. No problem falling asleep anywhere either at anytime. I can sleep sitting up in a waiting room chair.

My phone sits on a charger base on my nightstand. Being deaf, I can't hear the thing at any time. I wear an apple watch during the day that vibrates and gives me a visual. At night, I let my husband deal with incoming calls on the phone lines ... cell phones as well as a landline we still keep for my caption service.

Beth

I admire you all with internal clocks! Sadly, I think if husband didn't wake up early, I would probably just sleep until 10am every morning. I really am quite lazy. I will admit it.
    I think each of the ladies here do what we have to do, and what works for us.👍. I am happy you have technology tools that assist you! 💖
    I have noticed since eldest son has left, my husband wants to do more cooking on his own. I do still cook 50% of the time during the week. He's in charge of his breakfasts and sometimes we share lunches or dinners. He does dislike my "complicated" soups and stews. Too many items in there he doesn't eat.
    Hugs friend!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

My internal clock tells me to go to sleep about 1:30 am and get up about noon.

Not sure if I'm lazy or just that tired.

I also can fall asleep just about anywhere. I can nod off in lectures, meetings, waiting rooms, during MRIs and CT scans, during root canals if the dentist doesn't talk for a bit, on the bus of course ... anywhere I can just relax for a minute.

M in Oz

You stay up late😁. I try to be in bed by 9:30 pm most nights. I just get punchy by about 11 pm. I used to sleep in until 10 and sometimes 11 am on weekends, and my husband would get so annoyed! I have gotten better and its been years since I have slept in past 11 am. You have a lot on your plate friend! Me I haven't really even had a darn plate.🙃.
    My husband once nodded off before a upper endoscopy and the nurse saw him sleeping and just assumed he had already had the procedure. I was called in and then I saw another nurse rush and stop the first nurse from giving him juice! Silly nurses! He went in finally, and I went back to the waiting area.😂😂
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

I stay up late for a couple reasons:

a) I've always been a night owl.

b) My husband goes to bed between 9:30 and 10:30 so staying up later than that gives me time to work on things that need more concentration ... or occasionally, just to relax.

I'm having a bit of difficulty with my current job because I need to be there BY 8:30 ... which means I need to leave home about 7:35 ... which means I need to be up by 7 am at the latest ... which means I need to be in bed by midnight at the latest, preferably 11:30. And that doesn't give me much time to work on things. So I feel like I'm falling behind.

This past week, I worked from home which means I can sleep an hour later, so I've got going on a few things ... but next week I'm back in the office again.

Fortunately, on my next job, I can be there somewhere around 9 am which is better.

Fortunately also I will be working 4-day weeks at least till the end of May. :) That means I can get some stuff done on weekends ... and SLEEP!

Machka in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    <3
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,093 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Just lost a post. And mfp are still not letting me post photos. Grrr!!!

Machka: Under no stretch of imagination could you be regarded as lazy! I have seldom come across anyone more industrious.

Heather: Aunty Irene is an example to us all. May she rest in peace.
    ☘️ Terri
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,490 Member
    Options
    Accountability:
    Chose well: Joe, readings, BP, dogs to powerline, steps >7400, CI<CO, CI<250<CO.
    Bonus: MRI, Wal~Mart. Just one thing: back to bupkes
    Workin’ on it: 142.0, H20x5, active 4:09
    Active April
    8: Give your body a boost by laughing or making someone laugh.
    9: Turn your housework or chores into a fun form of exercise. Yeah right.

Gino started out playfully stealing my new underwear but then wouldn’t give it up despite all my Mama dog tactics. Didn’t want to reinforce the behavior so grabbed the squirt bottle and sprayed water in his face. That got him to “Drop it!” Seems his prey drive is so strong it overcomes everything so what starts out as play can become deadly serious. This will take time, consistency and impulse control games. [sigh] Good thing he’s so cute, and a good watch dog too.

Had my first MRI ever today. Thankful they provided earplugs those are some loud weird noises. Have to wait til the 20th for results. Then shopped at Wal~Mart and even ventured down the drive again to the powerline meadow. Knee was so achy I took an ibuprofen instead of my usual aspirin. Grateful the discomfort is so very mild.

Ginny like you I’m interested in the external blood sugar monitor. My chiro’s dog has the implant so she can monitor his blood sugar from her phone. Amazing what they can do now… for a price. Think it costs her about $70 a month, or is it week?
    Heather “…drawing in on himself…” Hard to watch. ((hugs)) for the loss of that bright spirit. Your words to Kim, brilliant!
    Annie ((hugs)) Thanks for the Yoga with Adrienne recommendation.
    Macha one of my work friends watches Chocolat with her sweetheart every Valentine’s day.
    KJ great gratitudes!
    Lanette, so good to see you popping in. Granular moss killer/dandelion great tip! Sad to hear about Sophie ((hugs)). Thanks for understanding about Schnauzers. 35 lb Gino brings us much joy, despite his prey drive/resource guarding. Mama terrier will prevail! Brava for trying different foods to tempt your DH, frustrating and scary to watch him shrink. 30 different plants/week? WOW! :love: your kindling splitting attitude adjustment. :laugh:
    Katla glad to hear your DH is getting PT. Hope the schedule can be shifted soon so you can get back to yoga.
    Beth ((hugs)) are your parents in another state?
    Rebecca you’re pretending to be in Tuscany, inspirational! Well done!
    Lisa brava for persisting and O M G about that pathologist. While he’s doing time, has the Chief of Staff who ignored the red flags been held accountable in any way?
    Sue sorry you had to wait on hold for 45 minutes to learn that nobody bothered to call about the incomplete paperwork. SMH.
    Welcome @melodyh1105, Melody from Central TX, and con VERY gratulations for taking off that first 75 lbs. Well done!
    Kim sending ((hugs)) and kind energy, hopes for your brother’s peaceful transition and peace to your mom and nephew. Your nephew is lucky to have your support and presence in this so very very difficult time. ((hugs)). This is not an easy time for you either, so please take extra good care of yourself.
    Machka :noway: I could NEVER nod off in the dental chair. [shudder] But like Beth I can fall asleep sitting up in a waiting room, and have. ;)
    Tracey so sorry for your loss ((hugs)) and for what you had to go through with that employee. Big sigh of relief that she later quit.

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2022: Be still and listen.
    9t3jkbnhrfio.gif
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Cycling this afternoon. :) It was a great day out there. Lovely for mid-autumn. :)

esfxfbh9atgp.png

xtbvnqskxgr7.png

Machka in Oz
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,392 Member
    Options
    @LisaInArkansas, I have a sister and all of her adult kids etc in Mena Arkansas area. They seem to have worse tornado threat there than we do here in the central area of Texas!! I do have a mobile home on 13 wooded acres so I had a concrete storm shelter installed. I am not ashamed to dive in that thing when tornadoes are threatened!!!
    Melody, Cameron Texas.

Melody - I know where you are! Non-Texans will think this is boring geography stuff, so I put it in a spoiler:
    Not sure I ever went through Cameron, though. I grew up in East Texas, Nacogdoches County. Did my master's work at Texas A&M in College Station, spent probably eight years living near Dallas, and about seven years all told in Fort Stockton in West Texas. Moving to the River Valley here in Arkansas was a compromise between the four seasons and rolling hills and pines I grew up with, and my Alaskan husband's craving for mountains and rivers. We found all that here.

I have been through Mena any number of times, especially when I was traveling for the Girl Scouts Diamonds of Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas. Had to be down in Texarkana any number of times. Done with all that, thank goodness, and now we live about a half-hour north of Fort Smith, Arkansas, on 11 wooded acres in a stone house. No storm shelter, unfortunately. But then again, small, enclosed spaces give me the heebie-jeebies anyway.
    Welcome to the thread, Melody! Drop into any conversation you're interested in and bookmark the thread so you can find us again. Our fearless leader, @barbiecat, will create a May thread on the last day of April, and we'll all start fresh and clean with a new month. Many of us have been a part of this group of amazing women for more than five years, and it's become a daily lifeline for me, and for most of us, I think.

Kim - Many, many thoughts of peace and kindness to you and your nephew. You are a much better person than I am because I would be having many thoughts involving karma, etc., both for your brother and your mama. Maybe once your brother is gone and not dripping his darkness in her ear, maybe your mother will be in a better place, too.

I'm on my second cup of tea, and beginning to believe I'll survive whatever the day brings.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa in Arkansas
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Good news, bad news: The gastroenterologist's nurse got her end of it done and got the prescription to the VA. Talked to the pharmacy technician at the VA and she said, "Yes, it's ready to go, but it needs the pharmacist's sign-off." So, that will mean Monday now, presumably, if I'm lucky.

The VA's checks and balances always seem to be the ones that create a bottleneck in the process to stop patients getting what they need in a reasonable amount of time. However, the chief of pathology at this same hospital for more than a decade came to work drunk and high and misdiagnosed as many as 3000 lab and pathology specimens, which led to at least 15 veterans' deaths. For thirteen years, he altered paperwork to show his work was accurate, when in reality his error rate was nearly ten percent. That's more than ten times the usual rate of .7 percent. He was caught, by the way, a year after Corey and I moved here. He was making nearly a quarter-million dollars a year with the VA.

OK, that may have been a diatribe. But I'm still not cussing yet.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

___
    Nauseating read, about the impaired VA pathologist.

But I'm so glad you are getting the Humira Rx straightened out. Yay!

Karen in Virginia

• KetoneKaren
    Options

Beth

Beth, do you still have some of your drawings? Could you post photos?

Karen in Virginia
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    Kim,
    I hope your brother's death brings peace to all of you. It's been a long tumultuous time, and I am glad for you that it will soon be over.

I hope he goes quickly and peacefully, and has no more suffering.

Karen in Virginia
  • Machka9
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Interesting read and view ...

What Your Brain Needs to Know About Neuroplasticity

https://thebestbrainpossible.com/neuroplasticity-brain-mental-health/

A small section of the article ...

Ways to drive externally driven change would be:

• Try something new. This can be as involved as learning a different language, going back to school, taking dance classes, or mastering a musical instrument. It also can be as simple as trying out a new restaurant, reading a book out of your normal genre (especially fiction), or listening to an unfamiliar style of music.
    • Mix things up. Use your nondominant leg to start up the stairs or your nondominant hand to eat or brush your teeth. Move the mouse to the other side of the keyboard. Sleep on a different side of the bed. Take a new route to work. Get your brain off of automatic.
    • Turn off the GPS. Use a map and your brain. You could even get intentionally lost and try to find your way back without using your GPS or a map. (There’s a whole sport like this called orienteering.)
    • Exercise in a new way. Try a whole new activity. If bicycling, vary your routes and terrains. If running or walking, get outside when possible, forget the headphones, and alter surfaces, paths, and scenery. The idea is to get your brain in the workout.
    • Train your brain. I know there is a whole debate about whether brain training works or not. There is no doubt in my mind or Dr. Merzenich’s. It helped me recover from my brain injury. Dr. Merzenich went on to start a company, Posit Science, which offers brain training based on neuroplasticity and science (Brain HQ). Not all brain training is the same.
    • Take a trip. Travel to a new city, a new country or just down the road. A change of scenery wakes up your brain, sparks creativity, and can even boost happiness. A new environment challenges your brain and takes it off auto-pilot. You have to think about even small things when in an unfamiliar place.
    • Be social. Talk to people face-to-face. Engage in conversations and really listen. Make new friends unlike any you already have. Higher social engagement is associated with higher cognitive functioning and reduced risks of cognitive decline.

Machka in Oz