WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2022

Options

Replies

• ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Kim-can't think of any words for your situation that Heather did not state so eloquently. I hope the family is able to find peace.

phones-we got rid of land lines a couple of years before my husband died (his idea, actually, for a cost saver). I keep mine on charger at night next to be with do not disturb function. Calls would come through from my children. Keep my phone with me when going to basement and working outside-part of my safety practice since I live alone.

Sleep-when I was younger my mother swore I would sleep my life away. I now say I am becoming my mother. I tend to wake up early in the morning-usually by 5:30 at latest. That gives me time to do a few stretches and get ready to be at work by 7:30. So I am usually in bed by 9-9:30. Keep same schedule on weekends. Even if I am up later in evening I wake at the same time.

Looking out my window at snow. I am not impressed. Good day to stay in and clean house. Want to go to shoe store about 20 miles away to get some shoes I can fit orthotics in but that can wait until tomorrow!

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    Kim, what a heartbreaking situation! My heart goes out to you and your nephew.

Annie in Delaware
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    (((Kim))) — ❤️Thinking of you. ❤️
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,864 Member
    Options
    9cngfkbikmzn.png
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,864 Member
    Options
    Saturday

Sleep -- of course
    Garden - a little bit of digging
    Bicycle ride

And then we chased Rhody. He decided to slip outside without his harness and leash on and took us on a wild chase around the house, then out of the yard and into a neighbours yard and back. Finally he laid down at the bottom of the front steps puffing and panting and I was able to pick him up.

But meanwhile, he had me walking, jogging, crawling under things and everything.

Inside today, I coloured to try to relax a bit and I'm shifting documents from one area to another on my computer. I've had a student system for some time because I was a student but just a few days ago, I was notified that is shutting down so I'm a) looking for other options and b) off-loading a heap of stuff from the drives I've been using for years. I didn't need this right now because it is making a mess of my computer filing system and I've got to take the time to do it. But that's how life works.

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,207 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Son and kids coming over later, bearing fish and chips for dinner. DH will, unexpectedly, be home for the meal, because the cricket is over a day early. :) He us on his way. They are staying the night, because the parents are taking part in the pre-marathon bicycle race, early tomorrow morning. I'm planning gluten free pancakes for breakfast. Bea prefers Scotch pancakes. Nor is she sharing in the fish and chip orgy. Son is bringing pasta for her. They then will watch their favourite 'Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway'. :p
    I have made beds and found towels. Etc. Etc. The table is laid.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,342 Member
    Options
    Did a DVD for the rebounder then decided to do a bit of yoga since I hadn’t done that in a while. Boy, I didn’t realize just how stiff I’d become!!! Need to do it more often. Then worked on the puzzle a bit. I find that if I do it in about hour increments, I get more accomplished. Longer and I find that I keep putting the same pieces in the same places. It didn’t fit the first time and it won’t fit the fifth time. So if I work for an hour, take a break, then work for another hour, I get so much more accomplished.

At the Salvation Army I got another DVD. This time one by Billy Blanks. I usually don’t like tae bo since I never feel like I get a good workout. But I’m going to try this one. It seems to be mostly cardio.

Melody – welcome

Kim – you’ve got lots of good thoughts coming your way.

Tracey – so sorry

M – you’ll handle your present dilemma. I know that you’ll find an answer. You always do. Thanks for the laugh...thinking of you being lazy...ha

Lisa – Holy cow!!! I can’t even remember how long it’s been that I’ve been in this group. Actually, it’s the only group I ever go to. I always find it interesting how I think of people all the time. Like when I’m at work and washing the lettuce, I always think of you making bread since it’s like kneading bread. And every time I have shirataki noodles in my soup I think of Heather. Lots of other things, too.

Barbara – I’m always so impressed how you respond to so many people

Heather – you sure are the hostess with the mostest

It’s gotten so cold here. The high today is supposed to be 53. Later in the week it’ll be in the 70’s. Mother Nature...get your act together!!!!!

Michele NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,699 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Watched farm videos this morning.. a bit rainy this morning.
    Aww Betsy- Give yourself time to grieve it will come in waves... im just laying low today.. feeling fine just a sore arm from vaccine..
    Kyle feeling better ,but Carmine not feeling well but Tracy thinks just a cold but keeping him up in his room..
    She sent me an adorable picture of Miles in his walker sitting in front of the storm door looking outside.. he is starting to scoot around in that.. he us also starting to teeth.trying to shove his fists in his mouth and drooling up a storm... and he isnt even 4 months yet..Tracy finally gave him some tylenol and he took a nice long nap..
    Poor little guy..
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,541 Member
    Options
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    Carla great picture! You are providing great support!

It's a quiet laundry morning here. After breakfast at 7, I have been having a yogurt at 10 and then postponing lunch, overnight oatmeal with protein powder, until 12:30 or so. That's working better for me than snacking from 10 on while waiting for lunch. These silly little adjustments make all the difference.

I eat mostly the same stuff every day because I've got the routine figured out. Except that I have a reminder for salad on my phone and I still skip it too often. I dreamed about eating a tropical fruit salad! Such a sweet tooth I have.

My green salad is a quarter cucumber, a quarter green pepper, and fresh spinach. I ought to use broccoli too, and that would boost the vitamin profile. But I'm already eating it out of duty, not pleasure. I just don't much like fresh veggies.

Maybe a new dressing would help. Hmm. I have been using skinny girl poppyseed dressing, which is fat free and sugar free, and tastes okay. It has stevia.

Annie in Delaware, who would rather engineer a salad than eat it!
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Carla great picture! You are providing great support!

It's a quiet laundry morning here. After breakfast at 7, I have been having a yogurt at 10 and then postponing lunch, overnight oatmeal with protein powder, until 12:30 or so. That's working better for me than snacking from 10 on while waiting for lunch. These silly little adjustments make all the difference.

I eat mostly the same stuff every day because I've got the routine figured out. Except that I have a reminder for salad on my phone and I still skip it too often. I dreamed about eating a tropical fruit salad! Such a sweet tooth I have.

My green salad is a quarter cucumber, a quarter green pepper, and fresh spinach. I ought to use broccoli too, and that would boost the vitamin profile. But I'm already eating it out of duty, not pleasure. I just don't much like fresh veggies.

Maybe a new dressing would help. Hmm. I have been using skinny girl poppyseed dressing, which is fat free and sugar free, and tastes okay. It has stevia.

Annie in Delaware, who would rather engineer a salad than eat it!

Why not steam all those veggies and eat them? If you don’t like them raw, cook them.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbara — I am sorry that your rescue dog has turned out to be aggressive. Returning him to the shelter is the right decision for your other dogs and yourselves. ⭐️ ❤️ ⭐️
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,915 Member
    Options
    <3:sBarbara I am so sorry about Gino. We had to return a rescue schnauzer to the shelter after he turned on my elderly mom and a friend's child. It is so sad to not be able to provide whatever it takes to help these dogs. :s
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Lisa ... the VA and your experiences with it are just mind boggling to me.

Rebeca ... While I don't have any military service, I too can wake up without an alarm ... usually an hour before it is set to go off ... which is really annoying. Doesn't matter if it's for 5:00am either ... awake I am at 4:00am then. No problem falling asleep anywhere either at anytime. I can sleep sitting up in a waiting room chair.

My phone sits on a charger base on my nightstand. Being deaf, I can't hear the thing at any time. I wear an apple watch during the day that vibrates and gives me a visual. At night, I let my husband deal with incoming calls on the phone lines ... cell phones as well as a landline we still keep for my caption service.

Indoor hobby. Reading. I used to love cooking and baking, but that's waned a bit since my husband and son have put on quite a bit of weight. I feel like I'm enabling them when I bake. Way back in the day, I used to do pen and ink drawings with watercolors on consignment. I may try my hand at it again someday. And I've always had an interest in amateur photography. Something else to consider.

Beth

I used to love to cook but got tired of cooking a nice meal and end up being the only one that eats it because dh ate at his mom's or went out with friends and isn't hungry and son doesn't want it or is going out with his girlfriend. Of course, now, on nights I don't feel like cooking, dh wants to know whats for dinner and complains if he has to fend for himself. Cant win. Baking I enjoy and candy making is so fun, especially when I have people who appreciate it and enjoy it.

Hobbies inside are sewing, baking, all kinds of craft work- just need to get started again. Need to start limiting screen time- I am on my computer all the time and rarely is it work related. Many hours are just spent on FB or playing CandyCrush(three versions of it).
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,749 Member
    Options
    Kim ... I am so sorry that even in his final days your brother causes strife. I am praying for you and your family.

Barbara ... Some dogs are not a good fit. You're doing the right thing returning Gino. And, yes, my parents are in another state. They're in Ohio and I'm in NY... about 200 miles apart. Moving them will not be easy.

Karen ... I'll have to see if I have any photos. I never liked my artwork, but others did. Always surprised me.

Although it feels more like winter, we are taking the snow tires off my Ford today. Hope we won't be sorry. I should be working more on reorganizing and decluttering the basement, but I've lost some of my momentum. It's just so much stuff and my husband isn't budging on any of his things which makes me feel like my efforts are futile. I have to remind myself that at least my things are getting taken care of. On the other hand, my husband is tackling some of our long overdue maintenance/repair issues. We have contracted with someone to fix our failing septic system and have bids in for another contractor to address a yard drainage issue. While my husband can no longer handle heavy work (and this is a big issue for him), he wants to renovate the small bathroom off of our bedroom (too small to call it an "en suite"). So we have a new toilet (we are tall and our knees are bad so ordered a 21" tall commode) on order and are researching new shower enclosures. Everything will get torn down to the studs as we suspect water damage, but we have done this before and know what to do if that's the case.

Have a good weekend,
    Beth near Buffalo
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,946 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Tracey- I have a Cricut but only used it for a day at most then it got put away in the sewing room(which I haven't been into in a long time-too much stuff in there and now dh has put stuff in front of that door so I just ignore it)-
    Another thing I started but lost interest(need to get back to it) is I bought a machine to view and copy to sd card old slides and also a machine to transfer old 8mm movies. The slides I did and enjoyed that- seeing old pictures I have never seen before and sharing them with mom and my cousins. All came from my grandma. I got discouraged with the movies because it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. Most of those old movies have never even been watched- many have no labels so no idea what they are- hoping at least one is of the Fire Falls in Yosemite.

Barbara- I have had on MRI and I hope I never ever have to have another one. I went in to check my shoulder to make sure there wasn't a tear or something- ended up being sever frozen shoulder.
    I was in so much pain that I wanted to find out as soon as possible what it was. I found out very quick that I was very claustrophobic. I started shaking so bad, I had to lay there with my hands under my thighs to try to stop the shaking. She put a cold washcloth over my eyes. She said we could reschedule and give me meds before it but dh was leaving for China for two weeks and I would have needed him to drive me home- So, I stuck it out. I remember hearing her voice and thinking great, we are done- and heard her say- You are doing great, we are HALF way done. After it was over, I walked, very shaky still to my car, holding on to the hand rail. Then sat in my car for 20 min because there was no way I could drive home. And since then, things that didn't bother me much are really hard to deal with. No closed places for me. It also brought back the memory of when I was little- I got in a box, no big deal, until my sister closed it and sat on the top so I couldn't get out. I had forgotten about that until that MRI.

I am sorry you have to return Gino but you really tried and you have to keep your family safe. Maybe they will find a home with no other dogs and maybe be able to get his anger under control.

Betsy- you have gotten so much accomplished in just two weeks. There are things my mom is still "getting to" and it has been 15 months since dad passed.

Great jersey Carla

Allie- the best thing I found for teething babies is Hyland's Brand of teething tablets- They work AMAZING. They are quick dissolve tiny tablets- homeopathic. This brand has a lot of amazing stuff- haven't tried any that don't work great. Their stress reliever/sleeping aid are on my nightstand and I use them when ever needed. They also have a calm one for babies (and a few others I had not seen before just searching). Their allergy pills work great, according to dh.
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hylands+teething+tablets&amp;crid=29I5E0S9Y8NP9&amp;sprefix=Hylan,aps,426&amp;ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_5_5

Dh is sleeping- he worked 2AM- 7AM. We will get things sorted the rest of the way and then packed into my car for the toy show tomorrow morning. Hoping things go well.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,Ca

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Lisa ... the VA and your experiences with it are just mind boggling to me.

Rebeca ... While I don't have any military service, I too can wake up without an alarm ... usually an hour before it is set to go off ... which is really annoying. Doesn't matter if it's for 5:00am either ... awake I am at 4:00am then. No problem falling asleep anywhere either at anytime. I can sleep sitting up in a waiting room chair.

My phone sits on a charger base on my nightstand. Being deaf, I can't hear the thing at any time. I wear an apple watch during the day that vibrates and gives me a visual. At night, I let my husband deal with incoming calls on the phone lines ... cell phones as well as a landline we still keep for my caption service.

Indoor hobby. Reading. I used to love cooking and baking, but that's waned a bit since my husband and son have put on quite a bit of weight. I feel like I'm enabling them when I bake. Way back in the day, I used to do pen and ink drawings with watercolors on consignment. I may try my hand at it again someday. And I've always had an interest in amateur photography. Something else to consider.

Beth

I admire you all with internal clocks! Sadly, I think if husband didn't wake up early, I would probably just sleep until 10am every morning. I really am quite lazy. I will admit it.
    I think each of the ladies here do what we have to do, and what works for us.👍. I am happy you have technology tools that assist you! 💖
    I have noticed since eldest son has left, my husband wants to do more cooking on his own. I do still cook 50% of the time during the week. He's in charge of his breakfasts and sometimes we share lunches or dinners. He does dislike my "complicated" soups and stews. Too many items in there he doesn't eat.
    Hugs friend!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

My internal clock tells me to go to sleep about 1:30 am and get up about noon.

Not sure if I'm lazy or just that tired.

I also can fall asleep just about anywhere. I can nod off in lectures, meetings, waiting rooms, during MRIs and CT scans, during root canals if the dentist doesn't talk for a bit, on the bus of course ... anywhere I can just relax for a minute.

M in Oz

You stay up late😁. I try to be in bed by 9:30 pm most nights. I just get punchy by about 11 pm. I used to sleep in until 10 and sometimes 11 am on weekends, and my husband would get so annoyed! I have gotten better and its been years since I have slept in past 11 am. You have a lot on your plate friend! Me I haven't really even had a darn plate.🙃.
    My husband once nodded off before a upper endoscopy and the nurse saw him sleeping and just assumed he had already had the procedure. I was called in and then I saw another nurse rush and stop the first nurse from giving him juice! Silly nurses! He went in finally, and I went back to the waiting area.😂😂
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

I stay up late for a couple reasons:

a) I've always been a night owl.

b) My husband goes to bed between 9:30 and 10:30 so staying up later than that gives me time to work on things that need more concentration ... or occasionally, just to relax.

I'm having a bit of difficulty with my current job because I need to be there BY 8:30 ... which means I need to leave home about 7:35 ... which means I need to be up by 7 am at the latest ... which means I need to be in bed by midnight at the latest, preferably 11:30. And that doesn't give me much time to work on things. So I feel like I'm falling behind.

This past week, I worked from home which means I can sleep an hour later, so I've got going on a few things ... but next week I'm back in the office again.

Fortunately, on my next job, I can be there somewhere around 9 am which is better.

Fortunately also I will be working 4-day weeks at least till the end of May. :) That means I can get some stuff done on weekends ... and SLEEP!

Machka in Oz

Every so often I "go off on a bender" and stay up to an ungodly hour, a show I must watch the end of, but I am completely useless the next day😔😴🙃☕☕☕☕☕☕
    Last night I fell asleep counting. My husband has a tick. I don't know when he acquired this, but I remember when we were waiting for transplant, and some nights he'd just say, "keep an eye on me please, because I feel strange". Poor guy was scared. So I would hone my watching skills, keeping ears and one eye open, like mom duty. So his leg or foot twitches. Its every 15/20 seconds. Last night I think I counted to 15 about 8 times and it was on the dot. Strange.
    I hope your new job is more acclimating to your sleep schedule. You are one active gal, and I have always admired that about you!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa