WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2022

Options

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Kylia Joe is 6’ and I’m 4’10. Our first long road trip we took “Hilton” a great big ’72 Oldsmobile whose passenger seat was so big I could curl up in it and sleep. We left the the Bay Area, stopped a bit at the Grand Canyon and made it all the way to Little Rock Arkansas before sleeping in a motel. ;)

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2022: Be still and listen.

Your trip sounded so much like mine with former hubby- but a few differences. We were driving from Ca. to Mobile,AL after we got married. He was 6'2 and I was 4'10"- We stayed the night in the car in the Grand Canyon. Here is where it was different- we were in a little Toyota Corolla Liftback!! Not much room as we were moving all my stuff back there(towing a trailer). 6 months later, he got stationed back out here in Ca so we drove back in the same car. Don't remember where we stopped(that was 39 yrs ago this month)but we also had a cat and 8 hamsters in the back of the car.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    ❤️
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,638 Member
    Options
    :)
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    B)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day-

Walk w/family- 1hr 49min52sec, 52elev, 3.31ap, 90ahr, 105mhr, 6.21mi= 560c
    Strava app = 708c
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,490 Member
    Options
    Hee Haw ,i remember watching that.. some of those old shows were funny..
    I took a shower and am in pajamas andnam in bed. I know its early at least here,5 pm but think im going to take my pills and go to sleep..

Wheeeere, where are you tooo-night, why did you leave me here all alooone.......
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Ws
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    5:31 pm — DH is napping and I’m ready for rest, too. We were lucky to get our shopping done & home before it started to rain. 🌸
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    1948CWB wrote: »
    What's For Dinner? ~ That is a daily thing I go through. My husband could live on hamburgers, hot dogs, pizza, and potato chips. I have always thought you should include a protein, starch and vegetable for dinner time meals. He barely eats the vegetables I prepare (even salad). I do best with hearty soups, stews, and casseroles. Anyway, I continue to try after 53 yrs of marriage.

Carol in GA

mt dh is pretty much the same but he is more fast food/take out. Chinese take out is his favorite or Taco Bell.
    He doesn't eat many veggies. If it was up to him, he wouldn't eat them. He eats them, sometimes, when I prepare them.- yep- still trying, but we are only at just about 30 yrs.
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I did my dumbbells! Yay!

Annie in Delaware
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Barbara AHMOD-sorry to hear Covid caught up with you! Glad it is mild and Joe seems ok. I figure it is a matter of time for most of us. I just want them to keep developing therapeutics!

Rori-the anniversaries can be bitter sweet. Some years they are prominent for me, and I have had one year where I remembered it a couple of days afterwards.

Tracey-very cute gnome. I really like the colors.

Annie-good job! Your work is paying off! Regarding mom’s pills while you are gone-maybe set them up and give to your dad so he knows what she should be taking? (or he could just give to her).

Heather-glad family home safely.

Katia-my only advice regarding feral cats would be to avoid them. I wonder why you think it was a feral cat? My cats, especially when younger, caught birds, mice and rabbits with some regularity (it is in their nature).

Machka-some of your foot symptoms sound similar to mine. The custom orthotics they made are working nicely. Not 100%, but a major improvement. I also got new shoes for them. They feel best when I am also doing stretches, etc. regularly. Glad you found phone-that would be major trauma for me.

Booked quick trip to Phoenix. Flying out on a Wednesday and back on Sunday. Going to meeting on Thursday regarding complex under construction and hope to go visit one of their other locations on Friday. Getting excited about this retirement idea. I figure if I put a deposit down on a place, it will keep me on track to finally walk away!

Heading to bed. Got some stuff sorted out today and hope to continue tomorrow.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,738 Member
    Options
    Rebecca-I searched the world over and thought I found true love ,you found another and fllllt( raseberry) with the tongue) you were gone !!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    What's for dinner?

I order food I like. There are only a few things I won't eat in our house ... peanut butter and a bag of peanuts come to mind.

So whatever my husband decides to make is OK with me. :)

Occasionally I'll suggest or he'll ask. For example, if I'm feeling tired and blech and my stomach is unsettled (2 or 3 times a month), I'll suggest soup. Sometimes he'll ask me what flavour I want. Usually he mashes up some veggies to add to the soup.

One day this past week, I couldn't face dinner at all. The next day was a soup day.

Saturday nights are pizza nights.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    I would also frequent the tanning salons on the off months. I did like the tanning beds although they were deemed unsafe. Its just the warm to my bones feeling I miss, not the "lets have skin cancer" part.

Rebecca
    Wa

I used to LOVE those tanning salons and used them a lot, even after the cancer warnings started to emerge.

For almost a decade, I was brown all over year round.

Even as low as 10 minutes in a tanning bed improved my mood and gave me energy. And there were times when I worked my way up to about 30 minutes.

Canada still had them when I moved to Australia, but Australia had banned them all a few years earlier.

These days I take Vit D pills and try to get into the sun as much as possible but it's not quite the same. I wish there were safe tanning beds.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka - I think of you every day, admire how well you are doing with all of your challenges.

More about DH and his passing, some rambling...
    I picked up DH's lab tests done a couple days before he went into the hospital. I want to go over them with his doctor for closure, plus I'm curious how all of this works. The evidence is pretty plain with so many things out of whack in less than 3 months that he wouldn't recover. What triggered this? He didn't have cancer. The steriods he'd been on for decades plus all of the other medicines? Again, just curious, no blaming. He'd been ready to go for the past several years. He got his wish.

One of the nurses at the hospital gave me a little booklet called "Gone from My Sight - The Dying Experience" by Barbara Karnes, RN. She has a website - bkbooks.com where she sells this little booklet and several others. I wish I would have had this three months ago to recognize what was going on with DH. He was textbook, going down Karne's timeline just as she said.

My sister emailed this wisdom to me yesterday - "I don’t think we realize that at a certain point there isn’t much we can do that will change the outcome of someone’s life winding down and we make ourselves crazy trying." She went through this with our parents, she lived next door to them. I knew he was in failing health and had no expectation he'd get better and stronger.

But I spent too much time fixing his favorite foods and being disappointed when he only ate a few bites, blaming myself for not being a better cook. And being aggravated with him for not going to the doctor sooner. That kind of stuff that piles up. Now I see he was on a trajectory that I wasn't in charge of and could not have changed. I think having this book would have made things more peaceful for both of us this past couple months.

Lanette B)
    Wet wet wet SW WA State. We are getting the average total rainfall for the month of June this weekend.

Thank you for that book mention. I wish you had it earlier too.

I've just read the description and one thing leapt out to me ...

"Dying from disease is not like it is portrayed in the movies. Yet movies, not life, have become our role models."

It's the same with traumatic brain injury, comas, amnesia, etc. Movies portray a version that I often wished would happen, but it doesn't work like that.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Machka-some of your foot symptoms sound similar to mine. The custom orthotics they made are working nicely. Not 100%, but a major improvement. I also got new shoes for them. They feel best when I am also doing stretches, etc. regularly. Glad you found phone-that would be major trauma for me.

Ginny in Ohio

I have orthotics which I wear in several pair of shoes. But I will be going to a podiatrist soon and I want them checked to be sure they're still all right for me.

I probably need to be doing more stretches and being more active during the day. I have sat more in the past few months at my current job than I've sat in years! I've been used to getting up and moving and stretching and climbing stairs regularly throughout the day. But in this job, we sit. My back aches by the end of the day too ... and I fuss with my chair, adjusting this and that. But I just can't get comfortable.

This weekend, I've spent a lot of time with my feet raised and it is easing some of the issues.

M in Oz

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,638 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Machka9
    Options
    uvgq57y33h1t.png

I ride my bicycle and colour. I'm part of a cycling club (sports team). I turn on my favourite songs and attempt to sing. And gardening. And photography. :)

What about you?

M in Oz