Why do people, especially women, enjoy lifting so much?

Options

Replies

• Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add: I agree with those who have said that lifting may help your medical problems, but please don't do anything without clearing it with your doctor, especially your cardiologist if you have heart problems. You want to start gradually and not give yourself an infarction by jumping in with too much too fast!
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I do it because it makes me feel strong. And I'm getting stronger.

And, it is good for my muscles and joints. As I get older, it will allow me more mobility for longer.
  • Pohudet
    Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I love lifting because it makes my body awesome. I started to walk around the house naked and look into all the mirrors with joy!
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Feeling like everything else you want to do is easy and skyrocketing sexiness. It's quite addictive.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy things feel amazing, but feeling powerful feels amazinger.
  • JBearsMom21
    JBearsMom21 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have a bulging disk in my back and slight arthritis in my lower spine. I'm only 23 and I lift heavy weights! My back problems have actually improved with weight lifting. I was stubborn when my Dr. told me to stop and continued to lift weights (starting off slow) to strengthen my weak muscles and improve my posture. Lifting makes me feel like a bada$$ and strong. PLUS I love what it has done to my body! I am nowhere near goal but I am much tighter and fitter than when I was just doing cardio. EVERYONE should lift weights.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I have seen greater results with heavy lifting than when I was doing cardio alone.
  • beachgirl172723
    beachgirl172723 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I love all of these responses- how do you quote them all? What a wonderful thread!
  • kita_254
    kita_254 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Not only do I feel like a badass... I enjoy the surprised look on people's faces when I'm benching or doing dead lifts
  • jhloves2knit
    jhloves2knit Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the input! I didn't realize dumbbells were considered lifting. I'm in Cardiac Rehab until October, but I have a pair of 5 lb. weights and a book. I will check with my doctors, especially my cardiologist. I'm looking forward to starting slowly and lightly and working up to being a badass!

Still don't think I should do heavy barbell lifting though, mainly because of the herniated discs in my back. Any opinions?
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the input! I didn't realize dumbbells were considered lifting. I'm in Cardiac Rehab until October, but I have a pair of 5 lb. weights and a book. I will check with my doctors, especially my cardiologist. I'm looking forward to starting slowly and lightly and working up to being a badass!

Still don't think I should do heavy barbell lifting though, mainly because of the herniated discs in my back. Any opinions?

I think you should clear it with your doctor. Find one that knows about strength training and working around injury preferably as some doctors (going by what I've heard) seem to be resistant against lifting with even the smallest issue, right from the get go, especially for women. IMO there's always something you can do, although I don't know your issue so I wouldn't want to give advice.

If you find a doctor who knows this area too they'll help you determine what is safe for you to be doing, so you can make some progress in that area, and still be safe/not make your injury worse.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I actually don't really enjoy lifting, but I do it because I love the results. I love how it's changed the way my body looks, I love feeling stronger, and I do it because it's a good way to maintain muscle mass and bone density. It's also good for my running, and to help prevent injuries.

Lifting doesn't make me feel good while I'm actually doing it, and I get bored doing it too. Running makes me feel great in itself, but lifting is just something I do for the results.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    "Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general." - Rip

My coworkers and I were joking about this the other day. About who we would eat first in the zombie apocalypse. I was vetoed because I was too active and not marbled enough. :)
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I have an autonomic nervous disorder that causes my blood pressure to drop into the floor and my heart to race uncontrollably. I started lifting to strengthen my legs...the body's secondary heart. I also have prior back injuries because of a car accident. But I was determined to not be broken anymore. Because of lifting and some light cardio (still having trouble running), I can now toss a 220 pound patient of mine like a bean bag. I do not feel as crappy, my blood pressure has leveled out a lot, the tachycardia has all but stopped (unless it's really hot out), and my back is stronger. Don't say you can't lift, just start light. As long as you start, you'll understand it. It is positively amazing for your body and mind. (nothin like having my male coworkers be in awe of me because I can do something they can't).

I love you :heart:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the responses - but I think Ernestine would disagree with the fact that you're too old to start weight lifting.

http://ernestineshepherd.net/

Ernestine “Ernie” Shepherd, at age 75, is a personal trainer, a professional model, a competitive bodybuilder and happier and more fulfilled than she’s ever been in her life. In March of 2010, on stage in Rome, Italy she was formally given the title of World’s Oldest Performing Female BodyBuilder (by Guinness World Records).
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    And I lift because I would to be strong and look awesome!!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I lift because it makes me look and feel sexy. :bigsmile:
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    My reasons, speaking as a woman of 41.... It helps fight osteoporosis, seems to help with my health issues, my heart condition keeps me from doing cardio, I love getting stronger, and weight lifting makes my butt and abs look good!
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm coming back to make another point, because I glossed over your old with back problems thing. I'm a cancer survivor. I had 4 operations last year alone. Each time I was given the OK, I would pick up 3# dumbbells and shake to lift them. But there was no GD way I was going to give in. Each time I got closer to "back to myself," I had to have another surgery. I could have given up many times. I even had a surgeon tell me he's never had a patient beg so much to be given the OK to workout. It took a lot of dedication, but I made it. I'm back. I'm healthy. I'm strong.

Earlier this year, my 13 year old picked up my weights. He told me he had noticed how I never gave up, and it inspired him. He lifts and runs now. That's the part that puts the lump in my throat. That's the part that made it all worthwhile. Not the hot butt. Not the great shoulders. The kid who looked up to his mom and picked up weights. That's something I'll never forget.

Go inspire someone.

^^ You just inspired someone !
  • samuelsson
    samuelsson Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Like a lot of other posters on this thread, I have dealt and continue to deal with my fair share of health problems. And lifting weights ABSOLUTELY helps with them. It can be intimidating to consider at first, but if you get a good personal trainer, it might not feel so scary. Or talk to your mfpals about what they do! Maybe if you have a local mfp buddy, you can tag along and learn the ropes.

MY REASON: TO FEEL LIKE A BADASS. My muscles smile after I lift. They sing.

(P.S. I'm getting my PhD in biological and health research with a focus on cardiovascular disease. Trust me, cardio AND strength training together offer bigger and better cardioprotective benefits than either alone!)