WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2022

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,326 Member
    I am consulting an Elder Law attorney for my brother.

Karen - an Elder Law attorney will help give any "clout" needed.

I can see "Management" at your brother's group home storing official documents such as social security cards in their safe or lockbox, at the resident's request, so they don't fall into the wrong hands or get misplaced.

But this is fishy. Good luck!

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,521 Member
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,330 Member
    Karen-good job contacting attorney. Too many adults are subject to being ripped off in various ways by those who are to care for them. Sometimes it is hard to intervene for adults, but that is what a representative should do. And the sunflower is stunning!

Rita-I'm glad you followed my thinking!

Carol-I didn't start MFP account on my apple phone-I set it up on the computer-and just log in on the phone-never had any problems.

Barbara AHMOD-I don't think feeling outrage means we need to meditate more-it means we are working from a strong moral ground-so our meditation is effective.

Heather-good job with the children-and it does sound that DH earned that nap!

Allie-glad your trip went well and you are back safely to Miles!

Good day working from home. Have a meeting in Columbus tomorrow and another one on Friday. I will still over on Thursday night so I don't deal with early morning traffic, Hope to get together with friend for dinner after MRI at OSU on Thursday afternoon.

Hadn't heard from doctor's office about surgery yet. Checked visit notes-he wrote I was considering surgery. I heard him say his scheduler would contact me. After having a week to mull it over-I have definitely decided to get repair work so I called and left message with scheduler.

They have postponed brother's surgery until mid-October. Needless to say he is not happy. But-I don't think I can talk him into going to Columbus yet so . . . .

Walk after work was wonderful-has cooled off, had nice breeze and didn't sweat buckets!

Going to watch some tv and get ready fro tomorrow.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    :)Allie what activities do you do with Miles? You mention him sleeping. Do you read to him, sing, play games?

All the talk about hot weather is making me so grateful for our moderate temps

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,521 Member
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,106 Member
    <3
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,444 Member
    Just posted a very nice ceramic platter on Freecycle. DH'S ex mother in law gave it to us for a present years ago and I've used it once. Don't host those kind of big gatherings or parties anymore. I've got other platters.
    Just happy to pass it on. When she gave it to us my heart sank. I don't dislike it, it's fine, it just is not quite right for our decor.
    tlox2dq28oax.jpg
    I'm feeling very good about the decluttering. I told the girls about throwing out the old Frozen cake decorations. They fondly remembered both their cakes, Frozen 1 for Edie and Frozen 2 for Bea, <3 But they weren't a bit upset about me binning the left over decs. :) Kids are so good about these things. They move on.

Got back from our whole day babysitting and I couldn't face cooking. Used my 25% off voucher to order delivery of fish and chips with mushy peas. Not exactly slimming, but I left some of the batter and it was very, very welcome. Had a Pernod with it. Childminding tends to do that to you. ;)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Its beautiful!💖👍🏻
  • MartineMtl
    MartineMtl Posts: 1 Member
    Hello all . New girl here... I'm Martine from Montreal, Quebec
    I was introduced to MFP in 2015 when I participated in a published study on healthy weight management . I did well with the group meetings and all the extra support as I was in the enriched group. I kept the weight off for several years without tracking but eventually it started creeping back on and then the pandemic hit..
    In June, I retired from a demanding hospital job. I felt burnt out and my life had become sooo unbalanced . I need to get back on track on so many levels. I'm back on MFP and wish to join the conversation. I have been reading the posts for a while. This is a nice group with people from all over .

Carol: Good for you for smelling the scam; The Geek Squad scam along with the Amazon Account scam are common. There are videos online of this hacker who goes after those scammers and messes with the files on their computers ...priceless ! You also see how these scammers operate. https://youtube.com/watch?v=l_iHGFT-y5A

Martine in Mtl

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Barbara — There are no options for feeding hummingbirds here, in the place where DH & I are now living, but I have provided feeders for my daughter. We are not in our home in Oregon but our neighbors there are feeding our hummingbirds.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,814 Member
    <3
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Carol GA I have had loads of emails from geeksquad lately, telling me my parcel had been delayed, my subscription for something can not be updated etc - all wanting me to click onto a link of some sort. I just delete them as soon as I see them.

As for phone calls, I let all calls on my landline go to voicemail unless I see their caller ID. I do usually answer my mobile as I have given that number to doctors, opticians etc to make appointments for my mum. I have sometimes been caught out though and answered a cold caller, but say for them to get off the line as I am waiting for an important call from the doctor >:) In some instances when they have been persistent I have cut them off mid flow. The times I have answered the call, they rattle off their script so fast you can hardly understand who they are and why they are calling.

The other calls I hate to get are the genuine calls from charity organisations. They go on and on about how animals/children/disabled etc are in need, how sad it is, how they know we want to help and by the way can you sign up to give £10 a month to help this worthy cause. They try to make you feel guilty and I hate that.

Anyway off my soapbox :D Still catching up. Keep safe (and delete anything from geeksquad) ;)

Take care
    Viv UK <3

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,194 Member
    I am always excessively rude to scammers and cold callers, even to ones at the door. If they do not respect me, I do not have to respect them. Even charities and religious organisations get it in the ear at the door. They have no right to disturb my peace when i am at home. I usually don't answer the phone without knowing who it is, unless I think it might be Saga. I never speak first.
    Fortunately cold calling or scamming is rare for us at the moment. It goes in phases. We do get emails occasionally, but that seems to have dropped off recently. I just swipe them away.
    The people calling for scams are just minions in the cogs, but they still know what they are doing; disgusting criminal work. Don't be polite.
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Kate UK ❤️
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    wizzywig wrote: »
    Carol GA I have had loads of emails from geeksquad lately, telling me my parcel had been delayed, my subscription for something can not be updated etc - all wanting me to click onto a link of some sort. I just delete them as soon as I see them.

As for phone calls, I let all calls on my landline go to voicemail unless I see their caller ID. I do usually answer my mobile as I have given that number to doctors, opticians etc to make appointments for my mum. I have sometimes been caught out though and answered a cold caller, but say for them to get off the line as I am waiting for an important call from the doctor >:) In some instances when they have been persistent I have cut them off mid flow. The times I have answered the call, they rattle off their script so fast you can hardly understand who they are and why they are calling.

The other calls I hate to get are the genuine calls from charity organisations. They go on and on about how animals/children/disabled etc are in need, how sad it is, how they know we want to help and by the way can you sign up to give £10 a month to help this worthy cause. They try to make you feel guilty and I hate that.

Anyway off my soapbox :D Still catching up. Keep safe (and delete anything from geeksquad) ;)

Take care
    Viv UK <3

Here we can often tell by the phone number. If it is a Tasmania land line number, I might answer it because chances are it's a medical office.

If it's a mainland number or mobile number, I ignore it. If it happens to be real, they can leave a message that means something to me.

The one time I answered a spam call recently was about 3 years ago. I was late getting home because there was a storm raging and traffic was slow. I was having trouble getting through to my husband to let him know. I hopped off the bus and started jogging through the rain, wind, thunder and lightning when all of a sudden my phone rang. I didn't look at it but figured it was my husband.

It wasn't. It was some mainland power company (or claiming to be) wanting to know who I got my power through and how much I paid.

I yelled over the roaring wind into the phone ...

"Big storm! Power's out here! Lightning! Wind! No power ..." and hung up.

M in Oz

• Rosemarie2972
    Rosemarie2972 Posts: 433 Member
    Heather: Congrats on getting your article off to The Guardian

Rebecca: Good luck with the organizing once you are back from seeing your sister

Debbie: Cute little kitten

Terri Richardson: I just signed up for a writing course called A Course in Miracles for writers. I have been reading about it some. It is spiritual but apparently some criticism of the A Course in Miracles book that was written years ago.

KetoneKaren: I hope everything gets straight at the group home. Could you get Power of Attorney and be the one responsible for his Social Security card and finances?

Carol: I hope your husband got to the dentist okay.

Martine: Welcome! Best Wishes for a good weight loss journey!

Doing better here from what I can tell. I went out and did errands today and my husband worked with the new eye gaze computer for awhile. It is 4 am and I am awake, but I can go back for a nap later this morning. Weather is a little better and it has certainly not been as hot as a couple of you are experiencing. That hot weather is really dangerous.

Rosemarie from Georgia
  • Machka9
    Planning a relaxing weekend, :grin:

tjbm891dxyxc.png

Machka in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,194 Member
    Just sent off a nudge to the local paper. A young man seems to do a lot of their 'nostalgia' pieces, which I could squeeze into as I mention Brighton and Hove quite a bit in my first two memoirs, set in the 50s and 60s. Worth a try. There doesn't seem to be anywhere to submit an article.
    So, I have done my morning's work. :D
    Reviews are starting to come in for 'Where Am I?' Looking excellent so far. Good reviews are so important for the algorithms!! ;) It all helps so much,.

I've had one reply about my dish so far. :)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Exercise ...

vkn188v1xnz9.png

25yyy2qmyr79.png

Machka in Oz