WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2022

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Evening ladies
    Had a lovely dinner with my son Dan,we dont get to spend alot of quality time together.
    Went down and got Homer out and gave him his pain pill and a few treats as Tom and Elena are at her daughters wedding.
    I did show him a video and a few pictures but until he finds out exactly what happened to the place then there is no use worrying. 75 is closed from north port to down to Englewood because of Water.. the water got sucked out because of the storm and now its all coming back in.. and rt 41 is closed in both directions over the Peace river in and out of Ft Myers
    Thanks Barbie as always for keeping us going. Our fearless leader.
    Found out one of my dear friends who owns the local farm in town and has a couple of farm stands passed away today.. he was a good guy.. hard working.and always donated to town things and school functions..
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,504 Member
    Qq
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,810 Member
    <3
  • Rosemarie2972
    Rosemarie2972 Posts: 432 Member
    Katla: Hope your DH makes it to the apartment today and that you are re-united! A new home! That would be exciting as well.

Annie: It is not you, it is your metabolism. I stay at 1200 calories but any carbs or sugar and my body just can't metabolize them like they use to. Ground turkey and cabbage or cole slaw do help. Hang in there!

RVRita: I need to go to Wally World some morning while it is organized and fresh and clean...and before the Christmas rush picks up. I use Amazon so much now, that I have not given Wally World much business the last couple of years.

Debbie: Congrats on being so active! Yes the room mate should go!

Pipcd: Congrats on raising 1k for MS!

Machka9: So sorry about your husband's accident and health and hope issues with your own health stay under control. Congrats on the weight loss! Small changes do make a difference, especially around carbs and sugar. I see Chobani is making a no sugar yogurt now...I really like it and hope it makes a difference for me!

I read an article on friendship in the New York Times this morning. How difficult it is to make friends as adults. Apparently there are apps for friendships. What do you think? Do you think I should try an app in Middle Georgia to find a friend to walk with 2x a week? I have mixed feelings about it.

Rosemarie from Georgia

• 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,295 Member
    mcp0xqis2qxy.png
  • Rosemarie2972
    Rosemarie2972 Posts: 432 Member
    Machka9: I love the Boundaries post! I have trouble asserting myself and often over do it. A few lines like these would help a bunch!

Rosemarie from Georiga
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Morning ladies
    Slept pretty well..today I do laundry and get the Flu and covid shots.. and thats the extent of the day.. depending on the effects of the shots.. yes keeping your arm moving helps alot.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,319 Member
    wizzywig wrote: »
    Thanks Barbie for setting us up for a new month. Welcome October.

Barbara I like your October goal to fuel better. I aim to do better myself in eating more protein and veggies and definitely less sugar.

At my health check yesterday, I found out I have high blood pressure, I've been advised to take my blood pressure twice a day and send the results to my GP. I had blood taken, and the results should be ready in a week. I am overweight for my height, (I knew this already) hence the plan to fuel better in October. I should get a printout of everything discussed and need to make an appointment with my GP in a week or two to discuss the blood pressure readings. I'm hoping not to have to go onto Statins (which the healthcare assistant thought was normal for my age group!)

It's my friend's birthday in October and she has invited our group to a party at her house. She has also invited the husbands as well, I'm not sure if I want to go. I know I shouldn't feel this way, but it hurts to see them as happy couples having fun, when I miss my DH so much. Am I a bad friend?

Better get a move on.

Love to all <3
    Viv UK

Viv - Yes, I bet you'll get better BP readings at home. I'm always sky-high at the doc's office but normal (with the help of a mild BP pill) at home. I send my readings to the doc every month or two.

Even when my DH was alive and healthy, he was "anti-social" in his later years so I'd attend events alone if I felt like going. Having my own transportation and driving alone was key - when I was ready to go, no waiting on someone. Generally, I was glad I went. I agree with others - you aren't a "bad friend" if you don't want to go. But if you want to pop your head in a for a bit, you might find a lot of folks very glad to see you.

You might also find older ladies getting you in a corner and wondering how you are coping with being a widow. Concern about your welfare, yes, but they see that possibility in their own future and are curious about how to prepare. It even happened to me yesterday with a store clerk I chat with! I told her - make sure you have a will, financial and medical powers of attorney, etc. Take as much stress off beforehand if you can. It's not always easy if spouses have determined they are going to live forever and don't want to bother. :)

Annemarie - I feel so fortunate to have worked and lived in this community for decades. So I don't have to look very far to find someone to meet for lunch if I want. Our local gym has a lot of "Silver & Fit" and "Silver Sneakers" classes, that several of my Master Gardener acquaintances and former co-workers attend. They even have once a month "snack" events there, lol. Not sure if they bring carrot sticks or cookies. :D

Here in WA State, it seems most of the Medicare insurance plans cover the membership.

It's a good place renew old friendships and find new friends. Just an idea when you are able to get out more and are looking for some company.

And the Master Gardeners attracted a lot of retirees. There's a volunteer requirement for working in a demonstration garden that I eventually couldn't keep up with due to extra work I needed to do around our place, but I know it was waived for some who had physical limitations.

Katla - great news about your DH coming home! Sounds like he's getting great care and the medical/ rehab services in the area are top-notch.

Heather - Happy Birthday!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,504 Member
    Ww