WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2022

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Pip - I love that adorable clock! Kirby is a gem.

Machka - It's easier on the executor when they get that call from the care home or hospital if there is a pre-paid plan for disposal of the remains already in place that has been made know to the executor. Even if there is no remaining kin, I plan to have an executor. An attorney if need be. The state or county will not pay for disposal of my remains in the USA if there is money in my estate. Not sure how it is in Australia.

Karen in Virginia

I have a will and executor (a law firm). :)
    It would be highly unlikely I'll have money in my estate by the end ... or not much.

But maybe I should add something to my will ... "please make sure I don't end up in a jar on someone's shelf". Not that I would know or care, but I pity the person who might feel they needed to put me in a jar on their shelf! Just toss me outside somewhere. :)

Machka in Oz

:D:D:D I have to laugh at this because I must admit that I have the cremains of a couple of family members and a few pets here in the house...

It's a tradition I've never understood.

I'm pretty sure there have been people in my family who have been cremated, but their little box has been buried in a cemetery with a headstone and all ... or they've been scattered.

I like the idea of scattering but I know there are environmental restrictions against that.

M in Oz
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Heather - It's not perfect, but we have been able to minimize the mildew and soap scum in the shower with homemade Clean Shower. The commercial product works pretty well, but we can make refills cheaply with 1/3 cup rubbing alcohol, a few drops of glycerin, one drop of dish detergent, and fill the spray bottle with water. It's so humid here we still get a small amount of mildew, but quickly spraying the shower stall and showerhead after showering does make a big difference. Just a thought.

Running the fan for a bit, and opening the window on a windy day can help too.

I use bleach when the pink mould appears, but apparently vinegar is supposed help too. I might try it on the bits of black mould we get now and then.

https://www.healthline.com/health/does-vinegar-kill-mold#other-mold-removal-strategies

Ah, yes, the pink mold! :D:D:D I believe the pink stuff is actually a bacteria called Serratia marcescans and/or another one called Aureobasidium (I think). Both bleach and vinegar would help with those. And circulation, as you mention.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Machka, - I do NOT have cremains here because of tradition, lol! I just have to figure out what to do with them. I don't want to keep them. The only ashes I am a tiny bit reluctant to part with are those of my baby Joy. I need to figure out why that seems different. Probably the ongoing grief, which has been different, & harder for me to process than the grief for other family members and even for my beloved critters.

{{Hug}}
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Lisa, Yes, I think for now, I will just keep Joy's ashes. They are in a small very beautiful pink ivory wood urn-like box I found at a craft show, made by a wood artisan. The lid fits tightly and the ashes are very secure. Since the amount of ashes was small the box is about the size of a grapefruit, not large at all. I'll post a picture of it later. You are right. No need to let go of those ashes until/unless I am ready.

Karen in Virginia
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    My baby Kate 's cremains were buried under a rose bush at the crematorium. They have a record of the exact spot if I want to know. I put a tribute in the Book Of Life at the crem, in the same volume as Pauline, my then husband's sister who died. I think that was the most important thing to me.
    Looking through the memory boxes last week, I found my pregnancy record for her. Every visit, 'Well'.
    When Edie was born it was a very special surge of the heart.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    Gg
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,691 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Tom has 3 dogs and a cat cremated and Homer will be 4 buried with him,he doesn't want to be cremated
    I will be cremated and hopefully sprinkled at the Cape,up at the Beach near our cottage and down at Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge..
    But we shall see..
    My dad we had cremated and I had him here with me for a year and then we buried him with my mom around what would have been his 90th birthday at the veterans cemetery.
    I have all the good intentions of doing things today.. but doing them we shall see.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    :)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Carol - I can never get over how much your grandchildren look like you. <3 Lovely photos. Now they are getting older, do they still interact with you as much? It's something DH and I wonder about. We hope ours will still have time for us, but I'm sure it won't be the same.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,691 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Mary- got the message and sent one back..
    Tracy and the family are doing family pictures today
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,328 Member
    Options
    Ok ladies, here's the clever obit I mentioned earlier. At least I thought it was clever. :D Northern Indiana sense of humor. :p Enjoy.

https://www.mishlerfuneralhomes.com/obituary/merle-sarber

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,826 Member
    Options
    Regarding death ... it doesn't really matter what I want. I won't be there!! What happens to my body will be up to the hospital or staff in the care home, I presume.

If I follow in the footsteps of my grandparents, I'll outlive everyone I know.

M in Oz

Just like you, I specified cremation in my living will, but after I am dead, who cares?

RvRita
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,940 Member
    Options

:D:D:D I have to laugh at this because I must admit that I have the cremains of a couple of family members and a few pets here in the house...

[/quote]

It's a tradition I've never understood.

I'm pretty sure there have been people in my family who have been cremated, but their little box has been buried in a cemetery with a headstone and all ... or they've been scattered.

I like the idea of scattering but I know there are environmental restrictions against that.

M in Oz[/quote]

my mother in law has my brother in law's ashes on the filing cabinet next to the chair she sits/sleeps in.
    For a long time she had fresh flowers by it. Now there is a glass of water- never noticed it before really until dh was going over there after her fall. Part of the morning routine that he HAD to do was put a fresh glass of ICE water next to Albert's ashes- I have no idea why she does it.
    My comment to dh when she was really getting on my nerves, "Why, does she think he needs it because it is so hot where he is now?"

We have the ashes of two dogs and two cats- dh's choice. My first cat I just buried at my parents place when she died. Maybe when he passes, I will bury all the pets with him.

Debbie
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,940 Member
    Options
    Lisa, Yes, I think for now, I will just keep Joy's ashes. They are in a small very beautiful pink ivory wood urn-like box I found at a craft show, made by a wood artisan. The lid fits tightly and the ashes are very secure. Since the amount of ashes was small the box is about the size of a grapefruit, not large at all. I'll post a picture of it later. You are right. No need to let go of those ashes until/unless I am ready.

Karen in Virginia

my dad's ashes are in a birdhouse that he built. That was a suggestion that came from the lady at the mortuary. Instead of pushing for mom to buy some elaborate thing she knew about dad's love for the birds and building birdhouses. Mom took one in and they put him in it. It sits on mom's desk. She had talked about burying him on the property next to her sister, brother in law and nephew who are all buried there. She almost did when my nephews were there but my sister and I weren't- I would have been so hurt if she had but they ran out of time, thankfully. She is glad too. She is happy having him there, Adds a little holiday decorations on it .