WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2022

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,705 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies
    Took a long nap and I did order groceries to pick up groceries at 3 different places tomorrow and Dan will be come down before work to take out garbage..
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,119 Member
    Options
    WOW! December already! Thanks Barbie for setting up the new thread.

I’ve speed read the last few November pages.
    Seven pages! Crumbs! More speed-reading 😝

Heather: Not happy at all the TV schedule changes either. Grrrr Not a fan of football!
    Katla: 👍🏻 That is such good news👌🏻

Successfully achieved my November aim of dropping a few lbs in anticipation of moderate indulgences in the upcoming festive season. I’ve done this the last 3 years. Pre-losing the expected holiday excess baggage seems to work well for me.

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them. Take care of yourselves.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies. Come back often.

💕💖💕 to all. Almost midnight here and eyes are heavy. Time to climb the wooden hill to Bedfordshire, as my Nana used to say. 🥰

☘️ Terri

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day-

Short walk w/kids- 30.39min, 21elev, 2.66ap, 85ahr, 101mhr, 1.46mi= 142c
    Strava app = 180c
    Lucy walked the whole way***

Did all the laundry, folded and put away, took the new ones to go see Santa, dropped off some donated stuff, took them for a quick walk.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    If you're interested in the Action for Happiness Calendar ...

Do Good December
    This month, we're encouraging you to carry out small acts of kindness.

Or we could post something we're thankful for, or happy about, related to the holiday season.

December 1 - I love the Christmas music. :) Come December 1, that's almost all I play. Christmas music or classical music (when I have to think at work or when we're in the car).

December 2 - Christmas decorations! We're lagging behind a bit because I usually like to decorate on December 1. But we got the decorations upstairs on Dec 2. Today I'll rearrange furniture and make a start.

December 3 - Summer. My favourite season. And we are finally having a few days of decent weather after a very wild and woolly spring. That's not saying the good weather will last (thanks La Nina) but there should be more of it.

December 4 - Memories. So many of the Christmas songs and traditions remind me of my parents and grandparents and happy Christmases with them.

:heart:

Just saw your post, Barbara ...

:heart:
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Aha, finally found a December daily gratitude calendar.
    https://www.spacewiseorganizing.com/december-gratitude-challenge/
    “This time of year, there’s a lot of pressure to think about what we want instead of what we have. Every day for the month of December, celebrate what you’re grateful for corresponding to the theme of the day. Snap a photo or update your status on IG or FB with #spaceforgratitude”
    1sa7taue9pwm.png

1 What is something that makes you laugh? Rhody! We're so very glad we got our little COVID Cat!

2 Something about the current season you’re grateful for. Rest. There will be a lot of rest over Christmas.

3 What about your body do you love/are you grateful for? I like my nose and want to keep it. But my official answer will be legs - for transport (walking) and recreation (cycling).

4 Who is someone in your life that you’re grateful for? I've said husband and parents last month, and that's true, but this month I'll say ... my manager. She has been supportive and encouraging regarding my input into my job.
    5 What is a book that changed your life?
    6 Think about something you’re good at.
    7 What is a lesson you’re grateful you learned?
    8 A basic need that has been met.
    9 What are you most grateful for in the city/town where you live?
    10 What rejection in your life are you most grateful for?
    11 Something you use every day.
    12 Something you don’t need anymore.
    13 Refuge – space you love in your home
    14 Item of clothing
    15 Taste
    16 Touch
    17 Smell
    18 Sound
    19 Sight
    20 Texture
    21 Color
    22 A song that makes you happy.
    23 Type of weather you love.
    24 Professional who helps you.
    25 Something you take for granted.
    26 A TV show that you look forward to watching.
    27 A movie you watch over and over.
    28 An opportunity you’re grateful you had.
    29 A place you love to visit.
    30 A tool you find incredibly useful.
    31 A daily habit you’re happy you’ve cultivated.

Machka in Oz

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,705 Member
    Options
    Geesh Alfie was asleep and was enjoying watching Rudolph the red nosed reindeer and then he woke up and started barking ,so had to turn it off. Oh well..
    Took some more cold meds and hopefully will knock this out
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    Normally I like Amazon, partly because it is a big local employer and my cousin works there. But I agree, they are a little less reliable this season. I was supposed to get four packages today, they didn't come, and I didn't get the usual apology. I don't much care, as there's plenty of time before Christmas. I just hope I haven't forgotten anything that ends up being last minute.

Barbie, I'm getting closer to my audiobooks for walking. I've found where I can buy the book I want with an audio version for $18. I also downloaded Libby to my phone and looked for the book, but it only offered me a hold. I think I'm headed for the Audible subscription, but I'm going to wait until I've read my paper books before I start the trial. Now if I can remember the plan!

Annie in Delaware

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,346 Member
    Options
    Nothing special, just work. But no work tomorrow so that means I get to exercise. Since Mason is sleeping downstairs, I think I’ll just take a walk tomorrow morning. Maybe twice around the block

Jess (no Colby), Teresa and her 3 children came last night around 11. Right now they’ve gone out for lunch. Misty here today which makes it feel even colder. Poor Loki isn’t used to kids (Teresa’s) and that they make sudden movements and aren’t the quietest of people.

Water was dripping on me again at BK. The worst part is that this is intermittent. Some days it happens, some days it doesn’t. I did mention it to the manager who was there today and she told me that the same thing happened to her Sat. when I wasn’t there. That’s good, others are feeling it so it’s not just me talking.

Yesterday at the soup- kitchen I tried what one lady made “fruit cake cookies” It may not sound good, but were they ever good!

Anne DE – Christmas shopping almost done?!!!!! I’m still in the “thinking” stage. I looked at Sam’s yesterday to see if I could get something (clothing) for Lynette. The largest size they have is 2XL and she needs 3XL. I get audiobooks from my library that I download and then listen on my phone while I’m taking a walk.

pip – let’s hope the Covid is mild for Kirby. I’m betting that it will be, he’s in such great shape.

Katie – so sorry about your friend’s son

barbara – I must have missed it. What did you name your Roomba?

Chris – glad to have ya back. I’m so sorry about your mom. Know that you did the best you could. Happy early birthday. A lot of the people on here don’t do the friend thing but come here for the friendship we all share

Allie – feel better fast

Michele NC
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,491 Member
    Options
    Note to self, while watching Hallmark Channel Christmas movies, have Tumble and grooming tools handy, not wine and chocolates. :sick:

Welcome back @CMac060820 Chris in MA. Sorry for your loss, my friend T went through the same with her mom, moving her into assisted living just before Covid hit, then not being able to visit her or take her out to do things really contributed to her rapid decline. ((hugs)) Many here do not do the “friend” thing but have formed strong and lasting friendships on this thread. Hop on in!
    Pip gentle, long distance hugs for Kirby and for you. Echoing others wishes for a quick and easy C-19 case.
    Kay getting up after journaling, good way to link habits. “Another reminder that life is short and we never know” Truth this.
    Allie sorry that cold is lingering. ((hugs))
    Karen “Leek and Thistle”? Welsh and Scottish food???
    Rita, wow, that crocheted Christmas tree, just wow.
    Kim thanks for the Google hint. Yup, that food looks both wholesome and delicious. Karen and her brother are lucky to have such a resource.
    Machka “service bell” meme. A real tea snorter.
    Michele I’ve been calling our Roomba Maizey… maybe cuz she’s so amazing.

Speaking nof our Roomba, Tumble still barks when Maizey starts herself up. But Tumble comes in from the outside while Maizey is already working, she just sniffs a few times and accepts… that is until Maizey bumps into her. Shadow is much calmer about the situation but still backs Tumble up once she gets going ;)

Still haven’t quite figured out the mapping. Named the “rooms” and told her to clean my bathroom, she cleaned the area of the bedroom leading to my bath then sent herself “home.”

3 What about your body do you love/are you grateful for? That it still moves ;)

Done:
    12/3: Move: chilly, aborted beach and viewpoint walks with Joe and the dogs, dog group, Jeopardy walking. active mins:174 steps:8016
    Fuel: plants running count for week so far: beans-garbanzo, broccoli stalk, carrots-rainbow, celery, chickpea hummus, cucumber-English, oats, olive oil, peanut butter, peppers-orange, popcorn, radish, raisins, romaine, soy patty, tangerines, tea, tomato sauce, walnuts, wheat-macaroni+lasagna CI<CO=[color:red]-195[/color:red]
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, fire district stuff (email, president’s draft to ODOT on letterhead), picked up symphony tickets, Grocery Outlet.
    Wt:138.0

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2022: Be still and listen.
    December: Move more, fuel better, live NOW.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    Options
    Katie - How right you are about life not to be taken for granted. It is coming up to the first anniversary of my friend L's partner dropping dead with an aneurysm, right in front of her. Then after Christmas her sister's husband dropped dead getting out of the bath. Similar thing. L's partner was 9 years younger than her.
    I am going to ring her now for a chat.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Options
    Taking a moment to think ahead ...

q6y19s82a7w9.png
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,313 Member
    Options
    KATLA ~ You are so blessed to have a daughter who is helping you and your husband as you both go through this move. I am glad that you are getting to go shopping and spend time with your husband.

Love all the puppy/kitty stories that you all keep us entertained with! Makes my day just imaginging the pets!

Carol in GA
  • Machka9
    Options
    Sunday --

I spent quite a bit of time in the garden today, and my trench for the dry stream is dug!

The next step is to decide where I want pools and see if I need to widen parts of the stream. I did widen a couple places so those might be my pools, but I might need to make the bottom of it a bit more pool-like.

Then I will need to line it with plastic, fill it with basic gravel, and top it with river rock.

And then it'll be the decorative stuff ... the resin "pools" and the planting.

I also started digging another garden bed - it's a dirt area under bushes. Two sides of our property are lined with these bushes, but they're really thin in this one spot - probably a 6-8 feet long spot. I'm not sure why the bushes haven't grown up as thickly there, but I've discovered the soil is full of rocks and fine roots. The roots are like a carpet they're so thickly entangled. There are roots which come from the bushes, but I'm not sure about these other ones. However, I do know that this area also produces a lot of weeds.

I want to dig it up, remove some of the rocks and roots and add soil to make it more suitable for plants to grow. Then I'll probably put in some ground cover plants.

So I've had an upper body workout the last couple days!!

In the evening, we did some more decorating for Christmas. :)

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    I looked up Roomba's to see if they might be a vacuuming solution for us too.

Cough, cough!!

They're not cheap!

I suppose the next time I've got over $1000 sitting around and doing nothing, I'll think about it, but meanwhile, I think I can manage with the vacuum we've got. I did spend $18 on a set of vacuum bags for ours.

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Went for my 5k this morning. Cold and grey outside, but NO WIND! :D The weather is set to get colder over the next week, so I was glad to fit one in. Bought 4 gorgeous croissants from an artisan baker for the next time when our guests do make it! :o:p
    Later I rang L and she was a bit tearful because she had moved some antique stuff her partner had arranged on a shelf and replaced it with essential kitchen equipment. She felt guilty. Otherwise was doing well, making new friends and getting ready for her sister's visit on Tuesday. Apart from her drinking too much, all is well.

I'm sprouting Indian beans in the IP today. Unfortunately it takes too long for our meal tonight, but I can freeze the result for other occasions. I love it with fish.
    Tonight is sea bass, (no spicy sprouted beans :'( ), smashed butter beans with olive oil and garlic, and broccoli.

So now a bit of rowing and then a nap. The USA went out of the World Cup yesterday, and England are playing Senegal tonight. DH may go in his study, or may watch it on his laptop. I suggested he went over to my son's house, but I think the cold weather is putting him off.

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx