Options
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    :)
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone from sunny FL! Where does the time go? I’ve been exercising every day. Friday I used the stairstepper and did some HIIT on the elliptical. Then we went to lunch with friends. On Thurs did an advanced strength DVD on Thurs. then went to lunch with a friend from the condo. On Saturday did a DVD by Jeanette Jenkins (no, no lunch) Every night I’ve taken a walk – first with Vince then more by myself. Played cards on Thursday. Saw the Space X launch on Thursday. Relatvity keeps getting scrubbed. Hopefully, it’ll go off next week while we’re still here. The other day took a 2 mile walk in addition to walking around the parking lot with Vince. Took a 3 mile walk this a.m. I forgot how quickly it gets warm here. Working on Jess’ xtitch every night. I’m surprised how much I’ve been able to get done. Did a pilates DVD today. Planning to do an advanced strength DVD tomorrow

Evelyn – sleep sure does cure much

Allie – safe travels

Rori – love how active you are now. Doing so much!

Laurie – I just use vinegar for my salad dressing. Deb – ohh...pesto and rice vinegar sounds delish. Never thought of that

Did 2 loads of laundry yesterday

Barbara – not sure how post office boxes work. I would think you’d still have to have your mail held since if you get a package, the box would fill up quickly

Melanie – what a lovely name! Welcome

Rita – I’m just amazed at BK how many kids just either don’t show up, don’t even bother texting the manager that they aren’t coming back, or just walk off the job!

Barbie – I love when we change the clocks forward. Wish we’d keep that year round

Michele who is off to Melbourne
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Welcome newbies and returnees! (((hugs))) to those who need them.

Oh Katla, I'm so sorry that your kids are sick. You'll get everything worked out eventually and we'll always know who you are.

I just don't understand the parents who don't teach those 20-30 year-olds work ethics, Rita! I mean, it has to start somewhere. I get'cha. I deal with them too.

Allie, I'm so sorry. We get to this age and it happens all to often.

OMGoodness, Lanette!!! You are NOT kidding! Harley got us up at 615am this morning, when his tummy-time said it was breakfast time!

Grapple, Barbara, is kinda snow-hail, but VERY small pellets. So imagine rolling up a snowflake into a teeny, little, hard ball. (insert eye roll)

Mary, I am so sorry your dream ride vacation got waylaid into a less-than-ideal trip. I hope you can plan something else soon.

Truck is all better. Battery is replaced and that is ALL it was! YAY!
    12. Listen deeply to someone and really hear what they are saying... I always try
    Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,733 Member
    Options
    Carla - When I got home from grocery shopping today he asked me if I got anything sweet. I held up a small tub of ice cream for him and said “it’s not jam”

Rebecca - I know I’m way too late reading. I’m the future you could fold the top over and cut holes for the rings without losing your magnets.

Machka - I’m glad you and DH were able to get away for a bit, you needed a true vacation.

Mary - I’m so sorry your trip was ruined. I have never wanted to do any vacation type things with friends for this very reason. I hope you can take the trip again with just you and your husband at some point. I think they are in the wrong they were invited in your holiday they should have done what you wanted.

Chiming in on the work ethic nowadays. I don’t think it’s all the younger generation. I’m finding people in my age group are changing too. The work, work, work mentality seems to be changing and people want more balance. Sleeping on the job is ridiculous no matter the age.

Eldest daughter and the Grands are supposed to come out today. I am going to do some crafting and maybe clean. Already have a load of laundry in.

I’m going to make a lasagna for supper.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    :)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,694 Member
    Options
    Hidee ho again
    One thing I can say both of my kids have a good work ethic, and are good kids and pleasant and kind,thank goodness
    I am giving myself grace today and just laying low.. will get the garbage together for my son to take out.. and im going to repack my stuff in a duffle rather than my hard carryon ,had a cup of tea and a muffin earlier.
    And after all these deaths,will be nice to spend time with family and little ones..
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,833 Member
    Options
    March, 2023 Action for happiness.org

Word of the year: Appreciate : today I appreciate lemon bars.
    Exercise goals added
    Yoga 10 mins 3 times a week 6/15-(100%,100%)
    Walk 7,000 every day 8/31 (84%,86%,)
    Arm weights twice a week 3/10 (100%, 60%hurt my elbow, hurt my shoulder)
    Meditation: daily. 8/31 (82%(started Feb))

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 6/8–(100%,100%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 9484, (7,700,100%-9851,100%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 1/2 —(100%,100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 7/15 —(100%,100%)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)25/64–(100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2—(100%,100%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 9/20– -(100%,88%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 8/12 (100%,100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR——3/12—(100%.100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71(100%,100%,100)
    Decided that if I do more than stated I will not grade higher than 100% 2/5/23

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met
    April met
    May met
    June met
    July met — met
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Set an intention to live with awareness and kindness. I intend to live with more awareness and kindness every day.
    2. Notice three things you find beautiful in the outside world. The blue water of Lea Lake, Snow on the mountains at a distance, walking a nature trail. All at Bottomless Lakes State Park.
    3. Start today by appreciating your body and that you are alive. I am healthy and above ground. I can walk,talk,hear, see, taste, and smell (mostly). I appreciate that I alive and have a healthy body.
    4. Notice how you speak to yourself and choose to use kind words. I will try…
    5. Bring to mind people you care about and send love to them. I sent texts to my long distance friends to send them love.
    6. Have a ‘no plans’ day and notice how that feels. Most days are like that for me. So much less stress!
    7. Take three calm breaths at regular intervals during your day. Sounds like a plan.
    8. Eat mindfully. Appreciate the taste, texture and smell of your food. Started at breakfast.
    9. Take a full breath in and out before you reply to others. I will need to keep this in the front of my mind all day.
    10. Get outside and notice how the weather feels on your face. Every day!
    11. Stay fully present while drinking your cup of tea or coffee. In the process of doing that right now!
    12. Listen deeply to someone and really hear what they are saying. I will have to really try to get this done today.
    13. Pause to watch the sky or clouds for a few minutes today.
    14. Find ways to enjoy any chores or tasks that you do.
    15. Stop. Breathe. Notice. Repeat regularly.
    16. Get really absorbed with an interesting or creative activity.
    17. Look around and spot three thing you find unusual or pleasant.
    18. If you find yourself rushing, make an effort to slow down.
    19. Appreciate nature around you wherever you are.
    20. Focus on what makes you and others happy today.
    21. Listen to a piece of music without doing anything else.
    22. Notice something that is going well, even if today feels difficult.
    23. Tune into your feelings, without judging or trying to change them.
    24. Appreciate your hands and all the things they enable you to do.
    25. Focus your attention on the good things you take for granted.
    26. Choose too spend less times looking at screens today.
    27. Cultivate a feeling of loving-kindness towards others today.
    28. Notice when you are tired and take a break as soon as possible.
    29. Choose a different route today and see what you notice.
    30. Mentally scan your body and notice what you are feeling.
    31. Discover the joy in the simple things of life.
    Barbie's Happiness Commandments

Be Barbie
    Lighten up
    Do it now
    Dance more
    Choose strategy over willpower
    Cultivate an attitude of gratitude
    Come from a place of love
    Stay in the moment
    Act the way you want to feel
    Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
    Don't expect praise or recognition
    It is what it is
    Don't take things personally
    Treat yourself like a toddler
    What's fun for other people may not be fun for you, and vice versa
    You can choose what you do, but you can't choose what you like
    Be kind, no exceptions
    Ask always, how could my life be better with less?

RVRita
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,944 Member
    Options
    Mary- I am sorry your trip that you have been planning for so long, didn't turn out anywhere near what YOU wanted.
    When we do take any trips(haven't for the past three years or what ever it has been since Covid hit.) a friend of dh's has joined us on almost every one. Our very first cruise he didn't go because he didn't put in the right dates for vacation. When it is just Victor, he is very easy going and just goes along with what ever is planned. The only problem is the dh seems to forget that I am along too and just hangs out with his buddy. I actually had to remind him on one of the cruises.
    The bigger problem was when his daughter would also go with us. We were always waiting for Ali, going where she wanted/not going somewhere because she didn't want to go. That got old quick. Then she got a job and couldn't take time off or was in college and couldn't take the time off. We started planning our trips during those times.
    Our very last trip was a cruise. Dh and I, Victor, our son and his girlfriend and Victor's daughter and her boyfriend. It worked out ok but I felt like the third wheel-others were paired off. At least on the ship, if Ali wasn't ready, we just went to what we wanted and left her and met up later.
    That was the cruise at the very start of Covid. Same exact ship that got stuck, quarantined at sea. It was the people who were walking on the ship as we were walking off. The Grand Princess.
    One of these days dh and I will take a trip just the two of us but he really likes having Victor go and of course, we love having our son with us.

Ok, time to get dressed and head for church. Hopefully the rain holds off while I am walking in/coming out. They are doing a potluck today- Pastor has been the pastor for 35yrs. I won't be staying. I used to enjoy going but not now. Maybe this summer I will.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • kevrit
    Options
    Not sure how true it is, but I just heard that our weight is 50-80% genetic. That explains why it is so hard for me to keep weight off, but I’m not completely convinced. There is that 20-50% we can control and that can make all the difference! I’ll have to do more research on that. If I am in the eightieth percentile, which I think I am, it can be very very difficult to make a change. It seems all the women in my family, from all my elders to my daughters are heavy and chronic yo-yo dieters. While on the other hand, all the mail look borderline anorexic! The doctor I had that delivered all 3 of my kids looked at my son (who really looked bony as a baby) and said, if I didn’t know you and your girls I would say you were starving him. He knew I wasn’t starving him, he simply had that kind of metabolism. So, I try to avoid carbs, walk, and try to stay active. Watch how much I eat and just eat a healthy diet. Doing this has corrected my sugar and liver issues, but the weight is still not where I want it to be. May never be there, but leading a healthy life is all I want. So, if heredity plays a part, all my female predecessors lived to be almost 100 and they were all overweight, so hope I inherited that too!

Traveling alone is my way of choice. I compromise with my DH but I have a need to be in control. When I’m driving somewhere, I will, in the spur of the moment, pull over to take pictures of something I find beautiful or interesting, or stop at one of those ‘historical site’ signs along the road just to read them. When DH drives, I’m lucky if I get to see much of anything. He drives way too fast and shouldn’t be driving in my opinion.

Spring-like weather here, so getting out to enjoy it before the extreme heat or winds start.

Laters, ladies!

RVRita
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,536 Member
    Options
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,447 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    My glue fest turned out well. Heck there was only 3 magnets on the thing! I always thought there was more. I cut a good 10 inches off, hung it up and while in the tub, marked with a sharp ie where I wanted them. Two up high on the ends and one low in the middle. Then I went to check which magnetic side to put the glue, by sticking it on the side, I found out the dang walls AREN'T magnetic!!! So quickly took a toilet wipe and rubbed off the end marks! I then made sure they were low to click on the tub. Glad I checked! My hot glue worked and it probably melted into the shower plastic a bit. It was hot pressing it, used my slipper instead of my hand, lol!

Today is turkey, tomato and cream cheese on an Everything bagel. Also a small bowl of my homemade coleslaw. Dessert is 2 mint ice cream in Mochi balls.👍🏻

Hugs to everyone that wishes one!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,200 Member
    Options
    My son rang just now. I was in the middle of watching a three part documentary about Frida Karlo, so a bit short with him. He only rings me when he wants something, but always tries to social chitchat me first. I just said, "What's the problem? " >:)
    So, this week there are teachers' strikes on Wednesday and Thursday. He asked if we would have the girls on Wednesday morning. They are booked in to Art from 1 pm, which is very near us. So, of course I said yes, but managed to push the start time back to 10 am, so we can get our exercises done. That's fine.
    Then he asked if we could have the three of them for the night (weekend) of 15th April, so they can get away for a night together as a delayed birthdaytreat. I remember how important those rare breaks were, so I said yes. I think a trip to Fatto a Mano again might be in our future that Saturday! They do like going on the bus with us. Let's hope the weather is kind.
    He said they are both knackered.
    Might have to think of something to do on the Sunday morning.
    Anyway, it's a long way ahead, but I know it's important for a marriage.

Love Heather UK xxxxxx

• kevrit
    Options
    Here is some information from reliable sources on obesity and genetics. 50/50 genetics and environment is the conclusion.:

Genes and obesity
    https://www.cdc.gov/genomics/resources/diseases/obesity/obesedit.htm
    Changes in MC4R that diminish its function are found in a small fraction (<5%) of obese people in various ethnic groups. Affected children feel extremely hungry and become obese because of consistent overeating (hyperphagia).…

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK573068/

Genetics and Obesity
    Tirthani E, Said MS, Rehman A.
    Publication Details
    Continuing Education Activity
    Obesity is closely linked to genetics and environmental factors. The newest studies in the field of epigenetics further our understanding of the effect of the environment on genetics. This article describes the genetic causes of obesity, including syndromic, monogenic, and polygenic causes, and cites specific examples of epigenetic modifications associated with obesity. This activity reviews the evaluation and treatment of genetically predisposed obesity and highlights the role of the interprofessional team in evaluating and treating patients with this condition.
    Objectives:
    * Describe the need for genome and epigenome-wide association studies to understand better how obesity can be inherited.
    * Identify the important genes associated with syndromic and non-syndromic obesity.
    * Describe the crucial times in human life when epigenetic modifications can occur.
    * Explain the importance of a detailed history, physical examination, and genetic tests that can be used to diagnose genetically and epigenetically inherited causes of obesity.
    Access free multiple choice questions on this topic.

Introduction
    The obesity epidemic around the world affects not only adults but also children. About 50% of the time, obesity in childhood is carried into adulthood in a phenomenon known as "tracking." Per the latest data from the World Health Organization, the number of overweight and obese children under five years of age is estimated to be close to 39 million. In the United States, 1 in 3 adult Americans is obese, and the Centers for Disease Control has estimated that the prevalence of obesity among children is 19.3% per data from the year 2017-2018. By 2030 some epidemiologists suggest that 20% of the world's population will be obese, i.e., having a body mass index (BMI) of more than 30 kg/m² in adults, or a BMI ≥95th percentile for age and sex in children aged 2 to 18 years. Obesity as a disease itself is multifactorial and occurs due to complex interactions occurring between genetics and the environment.

RVRita
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,379 Member
    Options
    @noynoyavery , Laura, Welcome! Interact when you're ready, we'll be here.
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Machka, sounds like a wonderful time away! I do hope your hand is feeling better.
    Mary, so sorry your trip got hijacked. Others have already said what I would have, so I won't bother to repeat. Happy to see that you and hubby are already planning to take your trip next year!
    Lisa, {{{HUGS}}} for getting back to normal, whenever that may happen.
    Carla, glad to hear the only problem with the truck was the battery!
    Tracey, hope you get the jam back soon! lol Great idea for Rebecca's shower curtain! That certainly would be less of a pain than cutting the bottom!
    Laura, Welcome to a great group of ladies!! Please don't be overwhelmed by us all, we are a chatty bunch and this is a fast moving thread! And don't ever feel that you have to comment to everybody, you would never get anything else done, lol. As for the rest, one day at a time hun.

I started tracking again today. My walking friend had been in Mexico for two months and got back last week, so we went walking this morning. With the time change it was a challenge getting up, but I'm going to try really hard to go to bed early tonight! Wish me luck.....
    Hugs for those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island