WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2023

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    edited March 2023
    I am one of the odd people that don’t mind the time changes. Funnily enough I manage to feel more rested at both of them. Tonight I will go to bed at 10 like I normally do, that means I’ll end up falling asleep an hour earlier.

Yes ... people say you lose an hour's sleep at one of the time changes. I don't. My sleep stays the same ... but I might get slightly less done.

At the other end, again, my sleep stays the same, but I might get slightly more done.

M in Oz

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,432 Member
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,786 Member
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,120 Member
    edited March 2023
    Tracey - I so agree! Those precious times alone with each other. <3 I wish we could do it more often, but I find all three kids together quite a strain. Max is nearly 12 , with different demands. Finding activities that suit them all is a stretch. Without DH I couldn't do it. The trouble is, they all want his attention! Max can get outgunned by the forceful girls, especially Bea.
    It's still true that a change of scenery is good for the relationship, even when you have endless time together. Even a date night. Haven't had one for a bit now. Next week might be good, as we have French Circle.
    Did you read the article by Philippa Perry that I posted? It's similar to Gretchen Rubin's advice in her first book. We all need a reminder now and then to do these simple things that make all the difference. I have got so much better at it than I was in my first marriage. :p The Gottmans also say a similar thing. I'm careful now to reply to 'bids' that DH makes towards me and not just ignore them, and I always thank him and compliment him. (As the Gottmans say, it is contempt that kills a marriage, and I did far too much of that in my first one)
    Marriage is a dance. It is so important to be always looking out for ways to respond to each other and not just live side by side. Joy is there, but we have to learn the steps, and it takes care and attention.
    The other thing Philippa says is, you can't change them, only yourself. They will, most likely, change as a result of your actions, but you are only responsible for your own actions. Wishing and hoping they will change, is wasted energy.
    I always like reading about Barbara 's efforts with her husband. We must pay attention to each other. <3 If you act more loving, you feel more loving.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,929 Member
    edited March 2023
    It’s a changeable day. I’m hopeful it will clear up.

Tracey/Heather: I so agree. Time alone as a couple is so very precious. However, we also need our me time. I’m grateful that DH and I seem to have developed a good balance. It wasn’t always the case, but after almost 57 years together, we are glad to have each other ‘to have and to hold ….’

Intentions for March:
    🔹Maintain weight < 140 (I have managed to stay at the lower end off the 140s)
    🔹Continue with Solid Habit development

Intentions for today:
    📍Solid habits
    📍general chores
    📍Prep: Tuesday Craft
    📍2 pm: Monday Painters Group

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for all those those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri
    March Action for Happiness:
    1. Set an intention to live with awareness and kindness. I intend to live with awareness and kindness
    2. Notice three things you find beautiful in the outside world.Trees silhouetted against the sky; the appearance of snowdrops in spring; the sound of waves breaking on the shore.
    3. Start today by appreciating your body and that you are alive. I meditate on this each morning when I wake up, and am grateful for each new opportunity to have a good day.
    4. Notice how you speak to yourself and choose to use kind words. Positive affirmations are very powerful. Be kind to yourself, always.
    5. Bring to mind people you care about and send love to them. We chatted with our girls about other family members, and raised a glass to them.
    6. Have a ‘no plans’ day and notice how that feels. I will do this tomorrow (7th)
    7. Take three calm breaths at regular intervals during your day.Resisting the temptation to plan my day. Serendipity reigns today.
    8. Eat mindfully. Appreciate the taste, texture and email of your food. ✔️
    9. Take a full breath in and out before you reply to others. I’m a great advocate of deep breathing, and find this works well.
    10. Get outside and notice how the weather feels on your face.I wasn’t looking forward to going outside this morning as we had snow overnight and it seemed very cold. However, the sun shone in a clear blue sky, and the wind had dropped right down again, and I spent time with my eyes closed feeling the heat on my face before I went into the centre for Latin Study.
    11. Stay fully present while drinking your cup of tea or coffee. Always! Gives me calm thinking time.
    12. Listen deeply to someone and really hear what they are saying. When I tried to do this with DH this morning, he got distracted by a discussion on What the Papers Say on TV. 😝 However, we often have in-depth discussions, usually over lunc and dinner.
    13. Pause to watch the sky or clouds for a few minutes today. The sun was valiantly trying to break through rain clouds just after sunrise, but the forecast is for heavy showers, but I’m watching the blue patches in hope that it clears up.
    14. Find ways to enjoy any chores or tasks that you do.
    15. Stop. Breathe. Notice. Repeat regularly.
    16. Get really absorbed with an interesting or creative activity.
    17. Look around and spot three thing you find unusual or pleasant.
    18. If you find yourself rushing, make an effort to slow down.
    19. Appreciate nature around you wherever you are.
    20. Focus on what makes you and others happy today.
    21. Listen to a piece of music without doing anything else.
    22. Notice something that is going well, even if today feels difficult.
    23. Tune into your feelings, without judging or trying to change them.
    24. Appreciate your hands and all the things they enable you to do.
    25 Focus your attention on the good things you take for granted.
    26. Choose too spend less times looking at screens today.
    27. Cultivate a feeling of loving-kindness towards others today.
    28. Notice when you are tired and take a break as soon as possible.
    29. Choose a different route today and see
    what you notice.
    30. Mentally scan your body and notice what you are feeling.
    31. Discover the joy in the simple things of life.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,577 Member
    Page 31. ..home again!
    Hugs!
    Love!
    Welcomes!

Kylia back in Ohio
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,287 Member
    Heather - I used Phillipa Perry's advice yesterday. Corey did a jam-up job on both caulking and trimming out the new tub, so it was easy to find three places to insert a compliment. One of the few times I've consciously shaped communication with him in quite a few years. Thank you for the read - now to make that into a good habit! On the subject of keeping the kids for a night, a huge part of me has always been glad we don't live close enough for that to be an easy option. Selfish, I know.

Ginny - That's a nice-looking grandson! I thought he had a weird earring in his right ear for a second until I figured out it was a soap bottle on the sink behind you! He has your eyes.

Tracey - I love pictures of Michaela, she looks very calm and quietly happy. Corey and I would have the same reaction to the long hair on your grandson, good idea not to respond at all. I do know that kids affect marriages in some interesting ways. I think part of the reason my first marriage never really matured into a deep and loving relationship (besides the fact that we both came into it damaged by abuse) was because I was barren. We didn't adopt, as there were just so many barriers that we gave up quickly. Different religions (he was Catholic and I was a heathen), so the churches wouldn't talk to us, state agencies wouldn't talk to us because we were military and could move at any moment (this was the early 1980s), and we both worked because otherwise we would have been poor as churchmice. Still didn't have the money the private agencies demanded. Because of not having kids, we never had to keep another person alive by our actions. I think it made it easier for us to be selfish and not too bright financially.

Machka - I love your flower photos, you definitely have a green thumb!

Need to get my meds sorted out for the week and update the Big Book of Death to take it to my lawyer's appointment tomorrow afternoon. That's the ambition for the day. Would like to get outside this afternoon once it gets warm and do some cleanup on the flower beds. The tulip tree is already blooming, but it appears the upper branches got a little blasted in last year's drought. The bulb-type flowers are already beginning to show color, but there are often only one or two flowers on a plant rather than a dozen or more.

Later, my dears,
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,637 Member
    Morning ladies
    Here with Miles ,he is out like a light...waiting on the weather to come in.. oh well im not to worried..
    Wind and rain mostly but some heavy wet snow in the higher elevations.. you know how the news is they hype it all up
    I guess Rich,the kids dad ended up in the hospital last night..he went for routine bloodwork last week and had a new phlebotomist who messed up and he ended up with a blood clot in his arm and and has been in alot of pain. Poor guy.. guess Dan is going to pick him up over at the hospital and take him home..
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Machka - I love your flower photos, you definitely have a green thumb!

Later, my dears,
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

Definitely a joint effort between my husband and me. The roses, in particular, are his. :smile: :heart:

Machka in Oz

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,120 Member
    I love Tracey 's grandson's hair! :p It's quite the fashion in Brighton and Hove to have luscious locks. Max was tempted, but never went for it. His friends all had long hair. My elder son had fabulous long, blonde hair when he was 15. I was quite sad when he cut it off.
    I agree with not offering an opinion. It all depends on his peers and how they see it. Nice to experiment with our image at that age. 😀

Going out to deliver my Advance Decision to the doctor. Plus getting a LFT from the pharmacy. I've got DH'S driving licence and a signed note so I can get it for free.
    I'll also call in at the art shop to buy some paper for cut out art for Wednesday. And a new pair of sharp scissors! Then some grocery shopping for a couple of bits.
    I have a phone call scheduled for 4 pm with L. I'm curious to know how her weekend went with an old man friend. >:) Colour me nosey.

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,432 Member
  • Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 274 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    In my garden ...

wybg0qcpzeks.png
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-bb/

Machka in Oz

Absolutely beautiful! My garden area is still under about a foot of snow.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,896 Member
    edited March 2023
    Debbie - I hope your DH soon realizes how fast life is going and figure out his wife should be his priority.

The Grands were out today with their parents and I did a bit of crafting.
    Michaela was chatting away and said something about “now that I’m 7”. I said, “how did you get to be 7 already”. She said, “well, I just had my 7th birthday on Jan 3rd”.

My Grandson is driving his Father and I a little batty because he has grown his hair out. I have a feeling that he is doubling down to continue growing it the more we say anything, so I’ve decided to keep quiet.

qxjfqhrj70xy.jpeg
    t7mi5o9xql01.jpeg

Thank you- I would like to feel like a priority to him but with him being so self centered, I don't see that truly happening unless something really drastic changes.

I understand what you mean about your grandson's hair. My son has let his hair grow a few times over the years. Before, when he was about your grandson's age not only did he let it grow long but HAD to flat iron it down in front of his eyes before he would leave the house. I hated it. He decided to get it cut and kept it cut short for many years then started growing it out again. It is now really long but never in his face and always well kept. His girlfriend likes it long and it does save him money on getting it cut every few weeks- his hair grows pretty fast. Hasn't cut it in a few years now. Seems to be growing a little slower now I think. As long as it is clean and taken care of, I don't say anything(I do go in and braid it once in a while, he has really thick healthy hair). Plus he is almost 25yrs old.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,Ca

This is when he first started growing it out when he was 11. Got a lot longer and in his eyes before he cut it.
    64t1w2vto4va.png
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,752 Member
    March, 2023 Action for happiness.org

Word of the year: Appreciate : today I appreciate blue skies.
    Exercise goals added
    Yoga 10 mins 3 times a week 6/15-(100%,100%)
    Walk 7,000 every day 8/31 (84%,86%,)
    Arm weights twice a week 3/10 (100%, 60%hurt my elbow, hurt my shoulder)
    Meditation: daily. 8/31 (82%(started Feb))

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 8/8–(100%,100%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 9484, (7,700,100%-9851,100%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 1/2 —(100%,100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 7/15 —(100%,100%)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)25/64–(100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2—(100%,100%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 9/20– -(100%,88%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 8/12 (100%,100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR——3/12—(100%.100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71(100%,100%,100)
    Decided that if I do more than stated I will not grade higher than 100% 2/5/23

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met
    April met
    May met
    June met
    July met — met
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Set an intention to live with awareness and kindness. I intend to live with more awareness and kindness every day.
    2. Notice three things you find beautiful in the outside world. The blue water of Lea Lake, Snow on the mountains at a distance, walking a nature trail. All at Bottomless Lakes State Park.
    3. Start today by appreciating your body and that you are alive. I am healthy and above ground. I can walk,talk,hear, see, taste, and smell (mostly). I appreciate that I alive and have a healthy body.
    4. Notice how you speak to yourself and choose to use kind words. I will try…
    5. Bring to mind people you care about and send love to them. I sent texts to my long distance friends to send them love.
    6. Have a ‘no plans’ day and notice how that feels. Most days are like that for me. So much less stress!
    7. Take three calm breaths at regular intervals during your day. Sounds like a plan.
    8. Eat mindfully. Appreciate the taste, texture and smell of your food. Started at breakfast.
    9. Take a full breath in and out before you reply to others. I will need to keep this in the front of my mind all day.
    10. Get outside and notice how the weather feels on your face. Every day!
    11. Stay fully present while drinking your cup of tea or coffee. In the process of doing that right now!
    12. Listen deeply to someone and really hear what they are saying. I will have to really try to get this done today.
    13. Pause to watch the sky or clouds for a few minutes today. I love doing this!
    14. Find ways to enjoy any chores or tasks that you do.
    15. Stop. Breathe. Notice. Repeat regularly.
    16. Get really absorbed with an interesting or creative activity.
    17. Look around and spot three thing you find unusual or pleasant.
    18. If you find yourself rushing, make an effort to slow down.
    19. Appreciate nature around you wherever you are.
    20. Focus on what makes you and others happy today.
    21. Listen to a piece of music without doing anything else.
    22. Notice something that is going well, even if today feels difficult.
    23. Tune into your feelings, without judging or trying to change them.
    24. Appreciate your hands and all the things they enable you to do.
    25. Focus your attention on the good things you take for granted.
    26. Choose too spend less times looking at screens today.
    27. Cultivate a feeling of loving-kindness towards others today.
    28. Notice when you are tired and take a break as soon as possible.
    29. Choose a different route today and see what you notice.
    30. Mentally scan your body and notice what you are feeling.
    31. Discover the joy in the simple things of life.
    Barbie's Happiness Commandments

Be Barbie
    Lighten up
    Do it now
    Dance more
    Choose strategy over willpower
    Cultivate an attitude of gratitude
    Come from a place of love
    Stay in the moment
    Act the way you want to feel
    Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
    Don't expect praise or recognition
    It is what it is
    Don't take things personally
    Treat yourself like a toddler
    What's fun for other people may not be fun for you, and vice versa
    You can choose what you do, but you can't choose what you like
    Be kind, no exceptions
    Ask always, how could my life be better with less?

RVRita