WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2023

Replies

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,027 Member
    Yay Machka! Your career is really reflecting all the hard work you did at university. Congratulations!

Annie in Delaware
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,319 Member
    edited March 2023
    Good morning ladies!

Kim - lots of good suggestions here. As others have mentioned, a bedside "potty chair" might work. My mom used one after she broke her hip. She had dementia and was OK with it, not sure how your mom might react. I'm hoping you are able to find a good solution to this and she recovers quickly.

We are fortunate to have a "Visiting Nurses" thrift store in our area where a person can borrow walkers, potty chairs, wheel chairs, even hospital beds. Just bring them back in good condition, no charge. People donate these items so others can use them like this. It's a great resource. I had a walker and potty chair here and ready as I was preparing for DH to go into hospice.

I just found this link - there's probably similar closer to your home - I like the idea of contacting local senior centers for resources.

https://lookingaftermomanddad.com/free-medical-equipment-san-francisco/

Also, might be a good idea to have a few "adult diapers" on hand and waterproof pads under the bedsheet in case she has an accident. She may never need them. So many variables here without knowing what her needs will be when she gets to your house. I also donated supplies to the Visiting nurses - again, if there's similar, you might be able to get a few items free without spending $$. You can always donate them back if she doesn't use them.

HUGS!!!!

Mary and all who like the resistance bands - thank you!

Barbara - you haven't posted in a few days (maybe you did and I skimmed over it), hope all is well at your house :)

I'm a little sore today from my workout yesterday, but now that I'm up and at 'em, it's minor. Rain today so I get a day off. The "planning committee" will still meet, lol. Some days they don't take much time off!

My friend who is also getting chicks has found a source so we were up late messaging about it. Chicks are getting hard to find, lines form at the feed stores hours in advance. :o So I dreamed about chicks last night. :p I'm content to get live healthy chicks of any breed. It would be fun to get different breeds, but not a requirement.

And if it doesn't work out right now, that's OK and there must be a reason. As I look back at decisions I struggled with the past couple years regarding my DH's care and everything in my life going wonky, 99% of the time things worked out the best no matter how much I stewed and fretted and tried to control.

Doing the best we can is all that counts.

If nothing else, I've learned to take a "mellower" approach to life these days.

It's getting light out, no rain so time to pull on the shoes and wave at the school bus.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Machka- yes and yes
    Over here with my cousins all the little ones are gone its soooo quiet..
    Miles slept through the night and is at the aquarium with mommy and grandpa.d5s1kxa15od9.jpg
    ecglyr4s0pg0.jpg
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,798 Member
    Pg. 60 done. Off to dentist for cleaning this morning.

Later Ladies!
    RVRita

March, 2023 Action for happiness.org

Word of the year: Appreciate : today I appreciate a walk in nature.
    Exercise goals added
    Yoga 10 mins 3 times a week 7/15-(100%,100%)
    Walk 7,000 every day 18/31 (84%,86%,)
    Arm weights twice a week 3/10 (100%, 60%hurt my elbow, hurt my shoulder)
    Meditation: daily. 17/31 (82%(started Feb))

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 9/8–(100%,100%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 9484, 9104 (7,700,100%-9851,100%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 1/2 —(100%,100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 9/158/ —(100%,100%)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)25/64–(100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2—(100%,100%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 10/20-(100%,88%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 8/12 (100%,100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR——3/12—(100%.100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71(100%,100%,100)
    Decided that if I do more than stated I will not grade higher than 100% 2/5/23

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met
    April met
    May met
    June met
    July met — met
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Set an intention to live with awareness and kindness. I intend to live with more awareness and kindness every day.
    2. Notice three things you find beautiful in the outside world. The blue water of Lea Lake, Snow on the mountains at a distance, walking a nature trail. All at Bottomless Lakes State Park.
    3. Start today by appreciating your body and that you are alive. I am healthy and above ground. I can walk,talk,hear, see, taste, and smell (mostly). I appreciate that I alive and have a healthy body.
    4. Notice how you speak to yourself and choose to use kind words. I will try…
    5. Bring to mind people you care about and send love to them. I sent texts to my long distance friends to send them love.
    6. Have a ‘no plans’ day and notice how that feels. Most days are like that for me. So much less stress!
    7. Take three calm breaths at regular intervals during your day. Sounds like a plan.
    8. Eat mindfully. Appreciate the taste, texture and smell of your food. Started at breakfast.
    9. Take a full breath in and out before you reply to others. I will need to keep this in the front of my mind all day.
    10. Get outside and notice how the weather feels on your face. Every day!
    11. Stay fully present while drinking your cup of tea or coffee. In the process of doing that right now!
    12. Listen deeply to someone and really hear what they are saying. I will have to really try to get this done today.
    13. Pause to watch the sky or clouds for a few minutes today. I love doing this!
    14. Find ways to enjoy any chores or tasks that you do. I made a necessary task to go for a liver scan enjoyable by buying lunch for myself for a change.
    15. Stop. Breathe. Notice. Repeat regularly. I really need to do this today! Didn’t remember to do this.
    16. Get really absorbed with an interesting or creative activity. I have stones to paint. Will be distributing along the trails in exchange for free peddle boat and paddle board rentals. Didn’t do this. Too windy out. I colored instead.
    17. Look around and spot three thing you find unusual or pleasant. Will do. 1. Lady wanting us to cut a lock off of her propane tank. 2. The rock formations around the park. 3. The lake surface when wind blows over it.
    18. If you find yourself rushing, make an effort to slow down. I will consciously try to do this. I completed this!
    19. Appreciate nature around you wherever you are. Easy here. I do it every day! Appreciation list in spoiler
    The blues,of the lake
    20. BirdsTweeting in the sky and trees
    21. Birds drinking water out of a plastic cover
    22. Kids laughing
    23. Salty look of the sand
    24. The piles of dirt along dug out canal
    25. The blue sky with wispy clouds
    26. The strong cold wind
    27. The boardwalk
    28. The hides to watch birds
    29. The blue ponds made by the canal
    30. The ducks swimming in the ponds
    31. The quack of the ducks
    32. The snow cap mountains in the distance
    33. The white dry spots of salt and Lyme along the trail
    34. The dead branches and bushes along the budding ones
    35. A spot of green here and there
    36. The red of branches preparing for spring
    37. The bubbling water in the canal
    38. The beginning green of the salt Cedars
    39. The baby fish in the puddling waters of canal overflow
    40. The mud sludge gathering under the bridge
    41. The brown prairie grass bending in the wind
    42. The tall swamp grass bowing down
    43. The bubbling water as it splashed out from under the bridge
    44. The white salty mounds along the dirt trail
    45. Holes dug by animals for burrows
    46. Tumbleweeds trapped in the brush
    47. The coo of a dove welcoming me back from the walk
    48. 20.Focus on what makes you and others happy today. Going to try!
    49. 21. Listen to a piece of music without doing anything else.
    50. 22. Notice something that is going well, even if today feels difficult.
    51. 23. Tune into your feelings, without judging or trying to change them.
    52. 24. Appreciate your hands and all the things they enable you to do.
    53. 25. Focus your attention on the good things you take for granted.
    54. 26. Choose to spend less times looking at screens today.
    55. 27. Cultivate a feeling of loving-kindness towards others today.
    56. 28. Notice when you are tired and take a break as soon as possible.
    57. 29. Choose a different route today and see what you notice.
    58. 30. Mentally scan your body and notice what you are feeling.
    59. 31. Discover the joy in the simple things of life.
    Barbie's Happiness Commandments

Be Barbie
    Lighten up
    Do it now
    Dance more
    Choose strategy over willpower
    Cultivate an attitude of gratitude
    Come from a place of love
    Stay in the moment
    Act the way you want to feel
    Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
    Don't expect praise or recognition
    It is what it is
    Don't take things personally
    Treat yourself like a toddler
    What's fun for other people may not be fun for you, and vice versa
    You can choose what you do, but you can't choose what you like
    Be kind, no exceptions
    Ask always, how could my life be better with less?

RVRita
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,041 Member
    (((Kim))) Overwhelming right now. Do what you can and as things get checked off the list it will get easier. Medicare might cover the cost of some of the things you mentioned. Our supplement insurance also gives us $75 every six months for certain over the counter pharmacy products. Do you have free cycle where you are. I know this adds to the stress of it all. Hopefully with others suggestions at least it might help to keep the costs down.

This is an aside...I am not sure where I learned this but for all of us if a toilet seat is too high have a small step stool handy. I bought a that collapses for less than $10 I found it at Aldi's. It helps to keep your knees above your hips. It helps with constipation. I think M showed toilets from another country that actually is a healthier way to do the business. More detail than some care for. I am sharing this because it a simple thing that my help you or a loved one from more medical intervention.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,931 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Do you remember that, in January, I said I had a secret?
    First post on Page 87, here, Days 4 and 12 in my list ...
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10880701/women-ages-50-for-january-2023/p87

Well, part of that secret is that I'm on leave for a while ... and then I'm being seconded to another department for a bit!

I'll go into more detail next week, I hope.

Machka in Oz
    I worked at Job1 at LevelA for 8 years. During that time, I got my Masters in IT. So I started applying around to see what I might find.

In that time, a manager took me under her wing and gave me a lot of pointers. One of her tips was to ask questions. At the end of the interview, when they ask "Do you have any questions for us?", be sure to ask questions!! If you're offered a job, ask questions about the job.

January 2022 - I got 2 jobs! Job2 was permanent at LevelB and Job3 was a 6-month term at LevelC.
    I took Job2 and asked if they would second me to Job3. To my surprise, they did!
    Always ask questions!
    At the end of the 6-month term I started, officially, with Job2.

Shortly after that, I applied for another position back in the general area of Job1 where I had been for 8 years, and when I got the interview, I found out it was actually to fill 2 positions. I didn't get either one. No worries. I already had a job.

December 2022 - The day after my skin cancer surgeries, with my nose in bandages and my eyes black and swollen, I got a call offering me a position back in the general area of Job1 where I had been for 8 years. Turns out that they can do that if a person has had an interview within the previous 6 months.
    I accepted the job: Job4 at LevelD - entry level management.
    But it is a 2-year term position.

When I told Job2 I had a new job, but it is a 2-year term position, they made a deal with me. They would second me to Job4!

So, for the next 2 years, I remain permanent with Job2 at LevelB while I go to Job4 at LevelD - entry level management. We'll see what happens at the end of 2 years.

I'm looking forward to being back among people I got to know and a little nervous at the same time.

Meanwhile, I've been on leave (annual leave) for almost a month. I will miss that. I would love to be retired. But I'll be on a 9-day fortnight again, so that's not too bad. I made sure to ask about that!!
    Machka in Oz

So does this mean you will be working two jobs for the next two years?
    Sorry, trying to understand before the first cup of tea starts working

Debbie

• 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,295 Member
    :)
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Allie and Carla - I'm so terribly sorry for the loss of your friends.

Annie - Well done on a good week, both personally and with your dad's taxes.

Kim - My heart goes out to you... It's always the small things that are the most frustrating...

It's been a lovely relaxed day... Corey had plenty of time and energy, and made a wonderful pork loin with asiago and black pepper, plus a cauliflower gratin that was just ungodly good. I do not like vegetables, and I loved it. He pulled out a watermelon jelly that I canned last September, and used it as a condiment for his meat. I didn't want the sugar, or would have, too. Absolutely amazing dinner.

And, even better, it was the perfect topper to the first day that I've had without pain all day long in longer than I am able to remember. Did laundry, from washer to put-away, reading, writing. Got outside in the afternoon and cleaned out the biggest flower bed, but I was able to do that because I didn't hurt. This day was just flipping glorious. If I had been any happier, I would have started leaking glitter everywhere, I swear.

I hope everyone has an amazing week to come, you all deserve that.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

AWESOME, LISA!!! I hope you have many more days like this.
  • Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 280 Member
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    I’m happy to report that for my first week of being able to exercise with my kettlebell I have now lost 3.6 pounds. The loss could also have to do with the bone broth and not drinking as much pop. I’m still sticking to around 1200 calories.

💕Mary from Arizona/Minnesota

Awesome job! I stick to 1200 calories also but it has been a very slow downward scale movement. Down 4 lbs since December but I'm ok with that. Have always been very slow at loosing weight. Take synthroid for underactive thyroid and I think that causes a bit of a problem. Able to get out more walking so I'm sure will be noticing the scale moving in the right direction.

Tackled income tax this morning. Everything calculated so just have to go online and submit.

Enjoy your day, ladies!
  • Anniesquats100
    Congratulations Mary! Way to go!

I just went grocery shopping and forgot the frozen mango. Darn it! Not the end of the world by a long shot but I will have to go back later this week. These mango shakes feed me a half cup of spinach a day, plus a scoop of fiber, and that goes a long way towards not eating at night. Not to mention freggie servings.

Annie in Delaware
  • Anniesquats100
    Joy slow is great! Four pounds is awesome!

I tried to do my yoga too soon after I ate. Whoops! So I used my bike instead. Much better. Might do the yoga later tonight.

Annie in Delaware who has become a person who exercises!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,101 Member
    Joy congratulations on your 4 pound loss! I do know that certain medication‘s do make it difficult to lose weight. So, you are doing a wonderful job!

Annie thanks! Sorry to hear you forgot your mango! Up until a few months ago I didn’t even know what one looked like. The ladies on here helped me learn how to peel one. I think I used. Macka’s way of doing it and used a glass to get the flesh off of the skin. My husband was very impressed with that.

Pip I love your choice of fabric for your chair!

💕 Mary from Arizona/Minnesota
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 615 Member
    Welcome newbies and returnees! (((hugs))) to those who need them.

So glad to see you back online, Katla!

I'm so sorry, Allie! Another one. I love aquariums too, Miles!!!

Tracey, you are so right. They are all FUN and HAPPY men and there are so few of them. Rich will definitely be missed. The boys are really having a tough time with it. And us girls are just sitting back bawling watching them having a tough time and missing Rich too.

20. Focus on what makes you and others happy today... well, I had a mani/pedi for me and bought dinner for us so I think that counts.
    Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,295 Member
    <3