WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2023

Options

Replies

• myvt9v4crh
    myvt9v4crh Posts: 391 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Our son & daughter-in-law have both been sick so many things are pending. I expect a new laptop when they are feeling better. My son is getting the new laptop ready for use. It is much easier to use a laptop than typing with one finger on a phone. I’m looking forward to the laptop’s arrival.

I appreciate the help from Pip and Machka. I owe both of them thanks for helping me.

Katla49
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Welcome newbies and returnees! (((hugs))) to those who need them.

Aren't those the best, Debbie!!! Freddy doesn't hug "well" and I am a hugger! Geez, it was great to get a really good hug... TWICE!
    I also have a cousin that. She's just a sweetie and we're such good friends. We used to live close enough to see each other regularly, but they moved "up north" last year so now it's only during the summer.

Oh Tracey, that's just so cute. He wants Mom's jam. I'm sorta giggling and almost crying at the same time. I totally get though. Glad he can joke with you though.

Love that smile Karen!!! Aurora is a beauty!

What a great picture of all your friends, Allie, and a wonderful treasure.

OMG Margaret, are we tired of this schnit yet? And the parking is a MESS!!! I take my life in my hands just walking across the parking lot at school every day.
    Then we got a call from the youngest (Anne, the Marine) last night, around 830. She's at Menard's at 494 and Nicollet and her truck won't start. Nothing. Click. So, we both drive out there, just in case it's more than a dead battery and we have to leave the truck there and give her one of our cars for the night. But, we get it jumped and she drives home. Parks in the garage, "tush" in, turns off the truck, tries to turn it back on right away, nothin'!!! So instead of a relatively relaxing weekend, Freddy's over there today, driving in this snleet (lol, which is actually snow today), jumping the truck again today to get it out of the garage so they can take it over to Bobby & Steve's and get it fully checked and a new battery. (hopefully, that's all she needs)

So I'm home, playing with my cards, and Freddy's out in this mess. Nothing much more. Love ya!
    11. Stay fully present while drinking your cup of tea or coffee... always
    Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    March, 2023 Action for happiness.org

Word of the year: Appreciate : today I appreciate homemade bread.
    Exercise goals added
    Yoga 10 mins 3 times a week 6/15-(100%,100%)
    Walk 7,000 every day 8/31 (84%,86%,)
    Arm weights twice a week 3/10 (100%, 60%hurt my elbow, hurt my shoulder)
    Meditation: daily. 8/31 (82%(started Feb))

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 6/8–(100%,100%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 9484, (7,700,100%-9851,100%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 1/2 —(100%,100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 7/15 —(100%,100%)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)25/64–(100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2—(100%,100%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 9/20– -(100%,88%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 8/12 (100%,100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR——3/12—(100%.100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71(100%,100%,100)
    Decided that if I do more than stated I will not grade higher than 100% 2/5/23

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met
    April met
    May met
    June met
    July met — met
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Set an intention to live with awareness and kindness. I intend to live with more awareness and kindness every day.
    2. Notice three things you find beautiful in the outside world. The blue water of Lea Lake, Snow on the mountains at a distance, walking a nature trail. All at Bottomless Lakes State Park.
    3. Start today by appreciating your body and that you are alive. I am healthy and above ground. I can walk,talk,hear, see, taste, and smell (mostly). I appreciate that I alive and have a healthy body.
    4. Notice how you speak to yourself and choose to use kind words. I will try…
    5. Bring to mind people you care about and send love to them. I sent texts to my long distance friends to send them love.
    6. Have a ‘no plans’ day and notice how that feels. Most days are like that for me. So much less stress!
    7. Take three calm breaths at regular intervals during your day. Sounds like a plan.
    8. Eat mindfully. Appreciate the taste, texture and smell of your food. Started at breakfast.
    9. Take a full breath in and out before you reply to others. I will need to keep this in the front of my mind all day.
    10. Get outside and notice how the weather feels on your face. Every day!
    11. Stay fully present while drinking your cup of tea or coffee. In the process of doing that right now!
    12. Listen deeply to someone and really hear what they are saying.
    13. Pause to watch the sky or clouds for a few minutes today.
    14. Find ways to enjoy any chores or tasks that you do.
    15. Stop. Breathe. Notice. Repeat regularly.
    16. Get really absorbed with an interesting or creative activity.
    17. Look around and spot three thing you find unusual or pleasant.
    18. If you find yourself rushing, make an effort to slow down.
    19. Appreciate nature around you wherever you are.
    20. Focus on what makes you and others happy today.
    21. Listen to a piece of music without doing anything else.
    22. Notice something that is going well, even if today feels difficult.
    23. Tune into your feelings, without judging or trying to change them.
    24. Appreciate your hands and all the things they enable you to do.
    25. Focus your attention on the good things you take for granted.
    26. Choose too spend less times looking at screens today.
    27. Cultivate a feeling of loving-kindness towards others today.
    28. Notice when you are tired and take a break as soon as possible.
    29. Choose a different route today and see what you notice.
    30. Mentally scan your body and notice what you are feeling.
    31. Discover the joy in the simple things of life.
    Barbie's Happiness Commandments

Be Barbie
    Lighten up
    Do it now
    Dance more
    Choose strategy over willpower
    Cultivate an attitude of gratitude
    Come from a place of love
    Stay in the moment
    Act the way you want to feel
    Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
    Don't expect praise or recognition
    It is what it is
    Don't take things personally
    Treat yourself like a toddler
    What's fun for other people may not be fun for you, and vice versa
    You can choose what you do, but you can't choose what you like
    Be kind, no exceptions
    Ask always, how could my life be better with less?

RVRita
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,864 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Don’t get me going on todays 20-30 year olds! All the ones I’ve worked with at the park have no work ethic, take regular naps, along with days off and breaks, and just don’t understand that when you have a job, you show up, have pride in your work, and do your best!

Sorry about the rant. Just frustrated with the way this park is being run.

My shoulder is getting better slowly. I did yoga yesterday but no weights. I’ll eliminate the weights for now. I like the yoga because I feel better after the stretching and strength session. Even though I only do 10 -15 minutes at a time. For me, it works!

I try to buy organic as much as possible. I read a book called ‘Wheat Belly’ which both surprised me and turned me away from American grain products. No offense Joy But after reading how they used Round Up to speed up harvesting, I became very cautious about grains. I believe you don’t being organic so if I had access to your products, I would buy them. I try to grow my own tomatoes, peppers, and some herbs and onions in buckets here at the park. The ground here has too much salt and Lyme in it that only salt grass and salt cedars grow in it. I was pretty successful last year so already have planted lettuce seeds bunch onion seeds and some pepper seeds from last year’s crop. Now to get a new hose so I can water them every day.

RVRita
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,933 Member
    Options
    :)Kelly, I applaud everything you said about homeschooling and caring for grandchildren. Those are my sentiments but you said them better than I could have.

:)Annie, I have been inspired by your consistent dumbbell routine and have gotten out my copy of "Strong Women Stay Young" to get back on track with a strength training routine. I have been doing stuff hit and miss and basically doing almost nothing. I started relearning the exercises, choosing the locations that work, putting my ankle weights and hand weights where they are easy to get to, and finding the right time to do the routine. I discovered that they can be done while wearing headphones so I can exercise and be entertained or inspired at the same time.

:)Melanie, I am older than you are, but in the last six years I've had two series back injuries, one that required surgery and the other that required a month of lying down almost all day for more than a month. They were challenging because being active is a major part of my identity. I learned a lot during those two recoveries and I am a better person today because of those opportunities for personal and spiritual growth. I wish you well. I hope you will keep coming back here and join the discussions that interest you.

:)Katla, hang in there. You are still with us and the details will get worked out.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Oouuff! Just paid my half of the balance on my cruise. It always causes me palpitations to part with that kind of money. Hate pressing those buttons! But the money from my deep savings account had at last, after quite a few days, found its way into my bank account, and I didn't want to get it confused with daily expenditure, so I've paid it off ten days early. DH will want to wait until the last minute.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

That's wonderful! Where are you off to on your cruise and when? Wishing you an awesome trip. So nice to see people fulfilling their dreams.
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,467 Member
    Options
    Well today I'm going to cut ten inches off my old clear shower curtain and use my glue gun to glue the magnet pockets back in. Or use my iron to fuse them onto the plastic without melting the whole dang thing! Wish me luck! I think I will need it!
    Then I need to make biscuits for Lee's Sunday breakfast. He only has a couple with sausage gravy that he likes (from a can gaah!). I have offered to make him gravy and he says no worries. He has started cooking more over the years, so I let him. The fact that most of my meals I make for me is during noon and 4 pm, he gives me a pass a couple of nights during the week when he burns up meat and heats things. I swear that man has the patience of a ghat! When he warms up soup its on high, or when he fries the cubed ham for a breakfast meal he puts it on hi too! He just likes to stir and catch the ham cubes popping outta the pan. He's such a man/child!
    My middle sister told me she might switch to electric heat with a fan. That's what we have. They live out in the country and the cost of the Natural Gas line from the main road up to her place would be thousands of dollars alone, not to mention installing it in the house, changing the duct system etc. She is hoping to get a loan for all this. I hope she's able to, as she has this issue of no heat every winter. She confessed to me that she would go and buy oil transporting it and emptying it in the tank in the front lawn. Over and over, just to get it to come on for a bit when the girls would come home from school. I guess even back then the oil truck can only come out if you're willing to pay for a full tanks worth. Buying lets say $100 worth probably isn't cost effective for the oil trucks to drive out. At least that's the way it is with the propane trucks here on the island. We have a gauge and when we're down to only 30% in the tank, we can order it. We used to buy it at 50% left but they stopped that since gas prices went up.
    I did tell her this week every time my heat went on, I would say a little prayer to her hoping they would get their heating situation resolved. She was able to pay for some more oil in the tank so they have been cozy the last couple of days.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Go Barbie! You will enjoy building strength. Moving up a pound is so rewarding! Let us know what you do. And thanks for the kind words!

Annie in Delaware
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,239 Member
    Options
    Joy - We are going to Norway this June. Right up to the North Cape in the Arctic. Originally the ship was continuing to Russia, just around the corner, but that's obviously been cut from the schedule! It's 17 nights, leaving from Dover. We look forward to our cruises all year. :D
    On a previous Arctic cruise we were meant to stop at the Lofoten Islands, but the weather was against us. That is on our schedule again this time, so we are crossing our fingers that it's calmer this time. We have to go in by tender, which can be hairy if rough! Last time we had booked a RIB trip to see the cliffs and the seabirds, so we were very disappointed. Strangely enough, the islands keep coming up on an advert for our favourite TV shows, so we are getting a preview, as well as the fjord we will be visiting!
    I hope you fall in love with Ireland. I've been there three times and it was wonderful.

Karen - Oh the luscious Aurora! <3<3<3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,565 Member
    Options
  • Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Joy - We are going to Norway this June. Right up to the North Cape in the Arctic. Originally the ship was continuing to Russia, just around the corner, but that's obviously been cut from the schedule! It's 17 nights, leaving from Dover. We look forward to our cruises all year. :D
    On a previous Arctic cruise we were meant to stop at the Lofoten Islands, but the weather was against us. That is on our schedule again this time, so we are crossing our fingers that it's calmer this time. We have to go in by tender, which can be hairy if rough! Last time we had booked a RIB trip to see the cliffs and the seabirds, so we were very disappointed. Strangely enough, the islands keep coming up on an advert for our favourite TV shows, so we are getting a preview, as well as the fjord we will be visiting!
    I hope you fall in love with Ireland. I've been there three times and it was wonderful.

Karen - Oh the luscious Aurora! <3<3<3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Heather that sound amazing. I looked up the Lofoten Islands as I had never heard of that area and it looks absolutely stunning! Norway has been on my bucket list for a few years but not sure if I will make it there. I have taken a cruise to Alaska and saw amazing sights...glaciers for one. Look forward to hearing about your adventure when you get back.

Joy
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,400 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon or evening, as the case may be... and welcome to our new chums!

So, I barely achieved 2000+ steps by lunchtime, but that was just from my chair to the bathroom or my couch to the bathroom and back. Painful and exhausting when it's this frequent. I quit counting at 15 trips. This afternoon, things have slowed down considerably, and I'm grateful for that.

So... sent Corey off to do the shopping, and he usually runs about 90% getting the ones I actually want. Worked for me. He also got a haircut and stopped to pick up some trim and silicone caulk for the new bathtub. The latex caulk they used basically just melted away. That's OK, it's an easy fix.

Trying to figure out what to take with me to the lawyer on Tuesday. This is just the initial consultation, and I'm not sure how much this whole shooting match is going to cost--but I want some peace of mind for Corey if I take the dirt nap first, or for our kids if it works out otherwise. I'll probably take the Big Book O' Death, but I need to look through it first and get it updated.

Also trying to figure out what to do with the extra firm tofu that has been lurking at the back of my fridge for a couple weeks now. I know within reason that Corey will not be thrilled with a tofu meal--he's the original meat and potatoes guy. In fact, dinner tonight is meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy, because he's cooking.

Karen - Miss Rory is so sweet...

Rori - Love hearing your adventures and the joy you take in all of them.

Tracey - Love the "kiss for jam" story... it's a moment of love in a hard time for y'all.

KJ - So good to see you chime in with your expertise. My two youngest grands, 3 and 7, wore me slap OUT inside a few hours the last time they were here. I so respect and admire your ability to give these children a home-based, consistent, superbly personal daycare experience that will set them up so well in their lives to come. Your strength always amazes. I can't imagine being in the same room with a dozen kids that young for five minutes, much less five days a week.

Allie -
    Loved that picture of you and your friends!

((((Rosemarie))))

((((Kim))))

Quiet night at home in the offing - I'm going to go make some pimiento cheese cornbread while Corey naps out in his chair. He's finally starting to feel like himself again, but the fatigue hits him hard.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,565 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/kids- 1hr 58min 48sec, 39elev, 3.02ap, 93ahr, 120mhr, 6.15mi= 637c
    Strava app= 754c
    Other- 30min, rearrange living room, reorganize Bette= 125c

Total cal 762
  • myvt9v4crh
    myvt9v4crh Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    (((Alli))) — Sorry for the loss of your friend, Mary. ❤️
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,912 Member
    Options
    myvt9v4crh wrote: »
    Barbie—My son has my new computer but it has not been shipped to me yet. All I have available for now is my phone. So far I have been stuck with the mess from MFP, and it has caused a tear or two and much frustration. I can hardly wait for my new computer.

Pip has helped & I am very grateful. It worked beautifully until MFP derailed it. I don’t know why they did it. Perhaps I hit a wrong key, but I didn’t post unless spelling was correct.

I am frustrated. I love the women in this group, and I don’t plan to quit.

Katla in Illinois

Katla, MFP didn't do anything. You've logged into the wrong account again. Do what Pip said. Log out and log into Katla49.

Actually, at this point, wait for your computer to arrive. That may be easier for you.

Meanwhile we know who you are and you can see our posts. Nothing has changed in that regard.

Machka in Oz
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,467 Member
    Options
    okiewoman510
    Thanks so much for the package of stickers! I took at least 75% of them, cut them into bunches and the rest is going to a teacher I know! Thanks again! I appreciate you!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa