WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2023

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Worked today. Soup kitchen tomorrow. I swear, this is getting ridiculous. They don’t have any lettuce at all. A manager told me that she did one full case yesterday and I did one full case today. I do want to talk to Vince since he was a manager as to how I should word this. It really isn’t worth my while to go in for 2-1/2 hrs. This is the second time they don’t have any lettuce. One time they didn’t have enough tomatoes, twice they didn’t have enough plastic wrap, one time we just barely had enough onions. I want to say “you’re out of lettuce, since my job includes the lettuce and I can’t do my job, I won’t come in tomorrow.” But I want to make it sound “professional” But I don’t feel I should say that it isn’t worth my while. My objective is to get this manager to order enough prep. I’m sure she’s thinking “the less I order, I’ve reduced my costs” But at what cost? They’ll probably have Jerry do some things like the tomatoes. Will she think “I may lose her”. I like this job, not a lot of pressure, only a few hours, close to home, flexibility. If she’s looking to cut her “labor”, that I can live with. But at least be honest

Rori – glad to hear that you’re better, if not 100%. To me, a pedicure is absolutely alternative care. Good for the mental health which also affects your body. That makes sense, doesn’t it????

Tracey - Good for you sending that letter

Terri – those buds, when are they going to come? It’s been a few years now, and they haven’t come.

Lightstrongma – welcome!

Barbara – that azalea is on the side of the house, it gets maybe 7 hours of sunlight, the rest is shade. Azalea’s aren’t shade loving plants. The extension office did say that perhaps the deer “pruned” them, but we haven’t had a lot of deer this year. Usually, I find where they’re digging for food, etc., but I haven’t found that this year. They also suggested that I cover it when it’s very cold out. Somehow, I don’t think you need to cover azaleas. At least I hope not. Glad you liked the pool. Now you can see where I put the ceramics

Off to the pool….

Michele NC
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,581 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Michelle, That is a super shapely azalea for not being pruned. Ours are a mess, and we do prune them. Ours don't grow in the shape yours is in. Maybe it's a different variety? We are in very different zones. And good thought about the deer. We have deer eat the apples off our dwarf apple tree. It's cute and annoying at the same time.

Ugh. My android did an update today. I hate it. Besides the change in the look of everything, it no longer accepts my work wifi as safe. Such an annoyance.

Alli, do you think not watching the baby will give you more energy, or is your energy just perhaps low in general, regardless of your activity level. In my cancer group, some women complain about how bad the medication makes them feel, so much that they get off of the meds for quality of life issues, only to discover that it wasn't the meds making them feel horrible, but the cancer. In other words, their side effects didn't go away after going off the meds. Just another perspective.

Of course, if you're just tired of it, that's completely legitimate. You don't have to provide a reason or excuse. I guess I thought it was going to be a temporary thing anyway.

Take care everyone.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Hello Group 🌷

I joined My Fitness Pal in May. Looking to improve my health, strength, daily energy and lose weight. I have joined two challenges for motivation and accountability. I am over 50, married, ma and gma..aka my profile name.

@fanncy0626 I am intrigued by your thoughts on bone broth.

Not sure someone mentioned Virgin River Books. I have the first few books, that I haven’t started yet. I loved the series on Netflix.

lightstrongma

Here is some more information. If you have questions let me know.
    💕Mary from Arizona/Minnesota
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Evie ~ Happy 4th birthday to Rosalie!

Rosemarie ~ I did finally finish the floor job I started to do and agree with you that taking short breaks helps to get it done. I can only imagine how stooping to clean the litter boxes must tire you. It's not a fun job to do and I am sure your volunteer work there is highly appreciated.

Michele ~ My son is a restaurant manager at Cava's and has often had to leave the store to go get items they have run out of. Many times it is because the inventory has been ordered but did not arrive on time. If that's not the case at our BK, maybe the managers there are not up to the job.

Carol in GA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    I dont know..like I said im tired all the timr. Ive been taking the same meds since the heart surgeries
    I know I dont get much exercise, but I dont think thats it..there is something underlying, can't pinpoint it..
    My parents helped when they could,but I never expected them to babysit 30 hrs a week for me.
    Im just keeping quiet and see what they come up with..
    But sheesh im almost 63 had 2 heart surgeries and am on a transplant list..would you want someone like that watching your little one lol
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Tracey--My DGS is 27. They all are growing up so fast. Glad you got the note from the doctor. I sure pray you get the rest you need. Have you heard anymore about the airport job?
    Heather--Great pictures of the family and sounds like they party went well.
    Rori--Sounds like you are doing all you need to get better and ready for your trip.
    Allie--You have more then done your share helping with Miles. Sounds like it is coming to the point where it is doing you more harm than good and you need to take care of yourself.
    Lisa--HUGS
    Well I put in a request to administration to hire at least one person, will see what they say and how that will go.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,423 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies!

The April/May 2023 issue of AARP magazine had an interesting article entitled "The Weight Issue".

What jumped out at me: "In a 2022 study, researchers found that the best BMI for health in those over 65 is 31 to32 for women and 27 to 28 for men - higher than what's recommended for people under 65." It goes on to explain the "obesity paradox" where folks with higher BMI's in their 60's, 70's and above even had a lower dementia risk than people with normal weight or underweight. Further discussion, however, whether lower weight is contributing to the dementia or the dementia is contributing to the lower weight.

Anyhow, this reminded me of the SmartBMICalculator and my weight, which has crept into the "overweight" category by the standard BMI, but is considered normal and very healthy on the Smart calculator. Of course, if a person is obese and has diabetes, sleep apnea and other conditions caused by obesity, that's a different story.

RVRita - did you get your A/C fixed? We have a heatwave starting on Saturday here and I'm hoping all is well with my heat pump. I'm invited to an outdoor BBQ on Saturday afternoon - which I might skip.

Tracey - so glad you are getting time off. <3

Allie - there are lots of excellent suggestions and wise advice coming your way regarding your health and Mile's babysitting and your energy level & aches and pains. Have you mentioned this to any of your doctors? Seems like if one of them advises you to cut out or cut back, Tracy and Kyle would have no other alternative but to find a solution. You are right, it's about your health.

Terri - I think I would get shin splints if I had to drive a clutch car, lol. Used to love it when I was younger.

Rosemarie - Carol - Terri - Heather - I too have been flagging in energy, seems I get pooped after not doing much. Aggravating to have to make myself rest and prop my feet up for a little bit. But really, why be in a hurry?

Seems like I had more energy when DH was alive, his last few years. Perhaps I was pushing myself all the time, and worrying sent my adrenaline to new levels.

Got the back mowed yesterday, and just finished a little weed eating. Going to mow the front this afternoon then I think will finish weedeating later in the day or tomorrow morning. Then I'm done for a while.

Didn't get much garden in yet, but that's fine. With temps in the 90's it's too hard to keep up with watering so will wait a week or so when it cools down.

Roger and his wife went on vacation for who knows how long, lol. And I'm babysitting their greenhouse. Not much in it except for a few begonias and dusty millers. It's a very nice new (2 years old) greenhouse but the fan has already bit the dust and it doesn't have much ventilation. I'll prop the door open in the afternoons and keep everything watered.

Took Rosie to the groomers this morning and discovered the rear and passenger side windows don't work. Driver's side goes up and down just fine. I've seen some "reset" tricks on Youtube I'll try. It might just be a fuse, will have my oil change guy take a look at it if I can't fix it, he's pretty clever. I mainly use that car for hauling stuff anyhow so I'm in no big hurry. Very grateful the windows weren't DOWN when they decided not to work. Whew! :p

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• myvt9v4crh
    myvt9v4crh Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    (((Allie))) — Have you talked to your doctor about what you can do to take care of yourself, and provide daycare? A telephone conference call with the doctor or his nurse might be helpful. Exhaustion is not good for you. ❤️

Katla
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,026 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies!

The April/May 2023 issue of AARP magazine had an interesting article entitled "The Weight Issue".

What jumped out at me: "In a 2022 study, researchers found that the best BMI for health in those over 65 is 31 to32 for women and 27 to 28 for men - higher than what's recommended for people under 65." It goes on to explain the "obesity paradox" where folks with higher BMI's in their 60's, 70's and above even had a lower dementia risk than people with normal weight or underweight. Further discussion, however, whether lower weight is contributing to the dementia or the dementia is contributing to the lower weight.

Anyhow, this reminded me of the SmartBMICalculator and my weight, which has crept into the "overweight" category by the standard BMI, but is considered normal and very healthy on the Smart calculator. Of course, if a person is obese and has diabetes, sleep apnea and other conditions caused by obesity, that's a different story.

Took Rosie to the groomers this morning and discovered the rear and passenger side windows don't work. Driver's side goes up and down just fine. I've seen some "reset" tricks on Youtube I'll try. It might just be a fuse, will have my oil change guy take a look at it if I can't fix it, he's pretty clever. I mainly use that car for hauling stuff anyhow so I'm in no big hurry. Very grateful the windows weren't DOWN when they decided not to work. Whew! :p

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

on the window- check and make sure you didn't bump the kid lock on it. Mom did that, but the passenger window was partially down. I had to ride into town at 5AM during the winter, raining, and she took it down to Toyota and found it was just the little button had been bumped.

• minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    <3
  • lightstrongma
    lightstrongma Posts: 182 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Thank you for the Welcomes @okiewoman510,@auntiebk and @exermom. What a friendly group!

@okiewoman510 Yayy..I was hoping the Virgin River books were better than the series! I need to get reading.
  • lightstrongma
    lightstrongma Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Hello Group 🌷

I joined My Fitness Pal in May. Looking to improve my health, strength, daily energy and lose weight. I have joined two challenges for motivation and accountability. I am over 50, married, ma and gma..aka my profile name.

@fanncy0626 I am intrigued by your thoughts on bone broth.

Not sure someone mentioned Virgin River Books. I have the first few books, that I haven’t started yet. I loved the series on Netflix.

lightstrongma

Here is some more information. If you have questions let me know.
    💕Mary from Arizona/Minnesota

Thank you for the link @fanncy0626, I will take a look. I make Vegetable Beef Soup with simmered marrow bones as a base stock.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,712 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 1hr 57min 47sec, 62elev, 3.01ap, 85ahr, 104mhr, 6mi= 555c
    Strava app = 735c
    Zwift home spin bike- strava stats- 1hr 5min 14sec, 1345elev, 112aw, 13.8amph, 104ahr, 132mhr, 15.05mi= 368c
    Strava app = 418c
    Zwift stats- 1hr 5min 14sec, 1347elev, 112aw, 57arpm, 13.89amph, 15.1mi= 418c
    Zwift home spin bike- strava stats- 16.02min, 39elev, 108aw, 19.2amph, 103ahr, 115mhr, 5.12mi= 99c
    Strava app = 99c
    Zwift stats- 16.02min, 42elev, 108aw, 52arpm, 19.16amph, 5.12mi= 99c

Total cal 1022

I did 15mi on the spin bike then I noticed I was close to 1000 calories so I got back on and did 5 more miles. So far I’ve only ran twice a week instead of 3 which was my original thought, oh well..

Welcome new peeps, this is a great group to be part of.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,712 Member
    Options