WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2023

Options

Replies

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Welcome Belky! Hope you have a marvelous July!

May Destiny rest in peace.

Heather sorry you are sick. But your cruise is grand!

I'm hoping to severely limit my calories today after eating out yesterday. We shall see if I can make it happen. I skipped my exercise too, but I can't make that up.

I have to buy groceries, and do some errands around town, including quitting the gym. I haven't been since before the pandemic. I hope they make it easy.

Annie in Delaware

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,377 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I stayed in the cabin this morning, though I did make it upstairs for porridge. :p
    No painting or line dancing, but I did watch the doctor's presentation on the TV opposite the bed. Had a nap.
    Made it down for a light lunch. Feeling a lot better, (cocodamol) but I'm laying low and only going to choir at 4.30. No ballroom. Someone must have complained that the choir wasn't scheduled as they announced at lunch that it was back on. Hooray!
    Then packing. They collect the suitcases by midnight and you have to pack a personal bag for the night and morning. That's the only difficult bit. Because we have a posh cabin we have had free laundry and have made the most of it! We will only be taking back a few dirty things. They also iron stuff so beautifully. :p
    I ordered a new sparkly evening bag from Amazon today.
    kosz1z1mot58.jpg

The old one went in the bin. Never liked it. >:)

Love Heather xxxxxxxx
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Morning, afternoon and evening, all, as the case may be...

Went to bed headachy and woke up with it. Barometric pressure, most likely. It will pass. Storms possible tonight, but we will see. It's just that time of year.

KJ - I'm glad you enjoy the Egg stories. She's doubled her verbiage of late, "talking" to both me and Corey at length and with volume. Part of me wants to know what she's trying to share with us, and the other part is really, really glad we don't know. There are times her meow-rowls have the exact weight and tone of my third-cousin-once-removed, cross-eyed Shirley, who married my grandfather, Ichabod, when she was 16 and he was 60. Also the worst cook ever, bless her heart, her biscuits could be used for lethal missiles, and she always scolded instead of talking. She was so cross-eyed that meeting her eyes was nearly impossible, and I walked away from any conversation with her slightly nauseated. Not kidding, even I can't make this stuff up. :p

Heather - Glad that, if a cold was going to come along, that it came along late in your trip... take care of that, hope you feel better soon. Love your bling! Haven't worn anything shiny for decades. Your new bag looks like it will go with the rest of your shiny things very nicely.

Allie - Hope all the tests are good. Thinking about you. Your love for that little boy (and for Carmine) shows through every word, dear heart. I'm glad you're taking care of yourself, too, so you can be there for both of them.

Couldn't quite get ahead of the pain yesterday and ended up in the bathroom or on the couch for most of the holiday day. It ended well, though. Corey made the most amazing dinner--smoked and grilled ribs for him, and grilled shrimp and grits for me, with a new lobster sauce he wanted to try out. With some Creole flavoring and using a lobster base (Better than Bouillion), it was absolute heaven. When he has time to play and create, he makes the most wonderful food...

He's been on a real kick lately with Tony Chacheres, and we're both enjoying it. I'm genuinely not fond of Cajun food, especially the "blackened" spice range, but this brings something wonderfully different from that same range without being overwhelming. Absolutely wonderful with every meat he's tried it on so far, and can spice up veggie dishes, too. It does add salt, but they do have a no-salt version.

Not sure what the day will bring, today, but kind of like it that way. Do need to create a hamper liner bag--the mesh ones they come with disintegrate in just a few months, and replacements are simple to cut and sew. Won't take long, just need to get it cut and sewn. Other than that, the day is mine.

Love y'all!
    Lisa in AR
  • myvt9v4crh
    myvt9v4crh Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    7:11 am & the hummingbird has been visiting the feeder at my window. I love those little birds. 💖

We have a sunny morning today. 😊

Katla in. Illinois
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,102 Member
    Options
    I am sorry for all Destiny and her loved ones went through. It's never easy to watch a loved one suffer. Surrounding them in loving thoughts.

Fireworks up at the school again. Fortunately we had a good rain earlier in the day so I was not so worried about fire. We are dry again this summer. I watched from an upstairs window for awhile. It was so chaotic last year I didn't want to witness that again. They were done by 10:30. Rain was in the forecast which helped end things early.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,744 Member
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    Happy 4th!
    Like Kelly I had an extra 2 days off and a list of things to get done. I didn't get everything done, but did get somethings accomplished. Mainly had fun and relaxed. I did get 130ft by 5ft flower bed cleaned up and weeded as well as bushes trimmed. We worked until 2 on Saturday (after the ED visit) then I did paperwork in the evening and on Sunday. On Monday, I worked on beds in between rain storms, visited with my youngest daughter and two of the grand children, visited the bank, and got the oil changed in 6 vehicles. We had called our dealer who informed us that they had a mobile service! I still don't know the cost, but all six are done without us having to drive anywhere. It is a 45 min drive one way. Since they came here it was able to be done in one day! We finished the night watching the fireworks from our front porch. It was nice that in spite of the 9:00 thunderstorms at our house, the local fireworks still went off.
    Today, we went to the Americana Festival in town. We took the 2008 Shelby GT and won 2nd place in the Mustang category. Spent time with grands, daughter, and son in law. Came home , finished up the flower beds that I wanted to while feeding the mosquitos ;(
    Time for bed. Watching the fireworks reflecting in my curio cabinet mirror. I have dr appointment at 730 in the morning.

Happiness!
    Congratulations!
    Learning!
    Encouragement!
    Welcomes!

Much love,
    Kylia in Ohio feeling better today

Can u post a pic of your car?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,233 Member
    Options
    5.2 km of walking
    22 flights of 20 stairs ... up & down + landings.

Machka in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,831 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Miles and I took a snooze ,feel much better..still have a bit of a scratchy throat but im guessing that will go away eventually..
    Carmine and I have hair appointments this afternoon, and she is supposed to be doing online summer school.. here is hoping she is in her room doing that.
    So there won't be world war 3 when Tracy gets home.
    I usually get Carmine McDonald's on the way home..but if she didn't do school work then no McDonald's..
    Yes, my mammograms usually turn out ok.. have to make an appointment to get a 6th vaccination before going on the cruise
    And the others I really don't have control over until we see what th we results are..
    Have to take it with a grain of salt,after heart surgeries everything else is a piece of cake.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options

Debbie - I have given up asking DH to go with me to things he doesn’t like, I just go by myself now or take the Grands. I invite him every time though.
    Can your DH not offer to drive to the Comic-Con?

Tracey in Edmonton

For dh, going to Comic-con is a get away from his mom. He used to enjoy going and helping a little or bringing some of his 3Dprinted props he made to sell. His friend leaves his booth more and more so dh is stuck there. Not the best situation but anything for a break from his mom is worth it to him.
    If he had put his foot down in the beginning with both his mom and his friend, they wouldn't be walking all over him, and I wouldn't have to listen to him complain about it and get mad at me when I tell him I don't understand why he puts up with it. I really don't want to hear about it anymore..That makes him mad too-saying he is in this all on his own. They have made it that way, not me.

Debbie
    Napa Valley, CA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Went in the pool, then to Lowes with Vince, then took a walk around the block, and because I was so hot and sweaty I went back in the pool for about 15 minutes

Heather – you look fantastic in your blingtastic

katie – yes, that makes sense. Now that you mention it, I’ve seen a lot of fireflies this year, too. To me, it was rude of your housekeeper to not tell you of the “family emergency” as soon as it occurred.

I’m a social drinker, too. Mainly on holidays. I almost never have a drink when we go out. Oh, I’ve had the “wine tastes” at Olive Garden, but that’s all

Allie – I was thinking of Carmine the other day! You haven’t mentioned her in a while. It’s good that you’re still keeping her close

Wednesday here: did a body pump DVD, walked around the block, then went to Aldi

Now making hard boiled eggs in the IP. I love them made that way

Tracey – Vince calls me “the eternal Optimist”

Debbie – I’m conflicted. On the one hand I’m so sad to read about Destiny. On the other hand,. I’m happy for her that she’s no longer in pain. In a way, it’s good that her parents had time to prepare themselves. (((HUGS))) So sad

kylia – when I went to the MD last time, my glucose numbers were up, too. I’m sure it’s because of all the fruit I eat. Sugar is sugar, although sugar from fruit is better for you. Still….sugar is sugar

I really need to get to the soup kitchen. I have so many plastic bags for them and empty egg cartons. But not today...it’s too nice out and I want to go in the pool

Heather – I’ve so enjoyed your trip. Sorry you’re sick, but like others say, at least it was at the end of your trip. Feel better fast

Michele NC...who is off to the pool
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Fireworks going off until well past 1:30AM and insomnia AGAIN had me awake until almost 3AM- cats woke me up at 8. Going to be another long day and I have class tonight.
    Will skip the V8 Energy and just push through class. Thinking that may have been part of the problem Monday night. No clue about last night.
    Ezie will be here in a bit.
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    [quote="dlfk202000;c-

Down here, we don't have Graham crackers, cool whip or peanut butter powder.

At least not in the main grocery stores where I've looked.

M in Oz [/quote]

I know you could use other crackers, peanut butter powder can be bought on line but no clue a substitute for cool whip. Do they have other types of whipped cream that you could use?
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    Prayers and hugs for Destiny's family. She was such an example of courage, hope, and strength.

Television vs reading My parents limited our TV watching growing up. It was rarely on except Saturday mornings for cartoons and Sunday nights for Disney. I did get to watch Sonny and Cher once a week. When I first got cable coming back stateside it seems like my ex always had it on. This was particularly distracting when I was trying to get day care kids wrangled for leaving or arriving. One day he came home from work and we had no TV in the house. I moved it to garage! It was a year before I brought it back in. Now there is a TV in every room of the house and when DH is home at least one is always on! There aren't amy real shows I watch on regular TV. Netflix on the other hand is bad because I get hooked and binge watch!

DH'S glucose was up this bloodwork. He figures it is the fruit cups he has been eating for breakfast and lunch. SMH! I told him he needs real food. He says like what.....grrr. I take leftovers for lunch and he doesn't eat them. I said I would make sandwiches but he says he doesn't like them. He replies with "I would eat them". I told him we need to go to grocery then do he can pick out what he wants for lunches. He was eating romaine and cheese for lunch (calling it a salad-lol) but was getting too gassy. I am starting to add more foods to my diet today. Will see what happens. No pork, limited lactose!

Thank you ladies for taking us on your adventures! They have been wonderful!

Heart ❤️ doctor this morning. Wasted visit unless he wants a longer heart monitor. Haven't had any issues that i am aware of lately. Will keep you posted.

Better get going!
    Healing thoughts!
    Prayers!
    Hugs!
    Congratulations!

❤️
    Kylia in foggy Ohio

We didn't watch much tv growing up either- only got 3 channels at best, using an antana (sp?) on the roof. We watched Disney Sunday nights and cartoons Saturday morning like you.
    It was a treat when I would babysit for families that got channel 7- I got to watch Love Boat and Fantasy Island on Saturday nights then.
    Here, my dh is the same as yours. Tv in every room, turned on as soon as he gets up if he is going to be home. They are left on if he is in the room or not. Only room that doesn't have one is the bathrooms and he takes his phone in there. He also has the volume up loud . He falls asleep with it up loud(and lights on). At night, if he goes to bed before I do, I have to search around him to find the remote to turn it off, trying not to wake him if he has to be up in a few hours. Sometimes I do wake him up. I like it dark and totally quiet when I sleep- he can sleep anywhere, anytime. Years ago, the tv in the living room went out a day or two after he came home from the hospital from hip replacement surgery. He had to go right then to Best Buy and buy a new one. Couldn't go a day without a tv. One of his friends drove us and helped him get it set up. If the cable/internet goes down for more than a few minutes, he is complaining.

Dh's sugar is higher than it should be because of both stress but terrible eating habits.
    He skips meals, eats tons of carbs, loves takeout food, eats way late, very few veggies if he has a choice. All not good for a diabetic but I can only do so much. He grabs snacks because he says he can't find food in the fridge- he doesn't look very hard.

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,551 Member
    Options
    I slept awful, it sounded like a war zone until 1am. I am all for fireworks, but we have major displays going off one street over, and then the city puts one on. Also behind us is another, so all of the noise just converges together into chaos. At least that is how my body was processing it all. We have our windows open these days. Its nice. Except last night of course. This morning at 4 am a bird chirped sounding like an alarm clock I swear! Lol! Over and over, until it finally went to another tree. I am all for bird sounds, but this "Bob the morning bird" was really annoying!😂😂
    I seem to be kind of a whiner this morning!

I received a letter the other day from a pen pal that had written her letter on the back of a small puzzle. So that was fun putting the puzzle together and carefully flipping over to read her letter. I was missing one piece so I told her about it. She laughed and said her cat had found it under her desk. I could still read her letter though. Great idea though.💖👍🏼

Machka if you want to try powdered peanut butter (you just add water to your portion or add it to yogurts or whipping cream), or graham crackers I can send some to you. Just send me a private message.😁. I will send you a package. Its not expensive because I use the "if it fits, its ships" boxes so like $17 to send.

Is any of you mackerel lovers? I bought way too many tins, and they are different flavors. Some with lemon, some Mediterranean, etc. Just send me a private message.👍🏼💖
    Hugs
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    July 2023 Jump Back Up
    Word of the year: appreciate. Today I appreciate people willing to help someone in need.
    Meditation: daily. 8/30(82%(started Feb)94%,100%, 74%, 93%

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 3/8–(100%,100%,0%,0%,0%,0%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 5989, (7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 1/2 —(100%,100%,100%,100%,100%, 100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 123/208—(100%,100%,100%,50%, 83%, 100% should be 137 by August 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)56/94 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,(100%,100%,100%,0%,100%,100%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 3/15 (100%,88%,100,100%,100%,100%,93%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 24/12 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 6/12—(100%.100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107 (100%,100%,100%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Take a small step to help overcome a problem or worry. I am working on helping my son through this tough time by being in contact with his case worker and tracking his location.
    2. Adopt a growth mindset. Change “I can’t” into “I can’t…yet”. I try to never use those words. I follow Yoda’s ‘Do or not, there is no try”
    3. Be willing to ask for help when you need it. I will. My back hurts today so will easily ask for help when I need it.
    4. Find something to look forward to today. Missed posting this yesterday. So today I am looking forward to my therapy session.
    5. Get the basics right: eat well, exercise and go to bed on time. Will do!
    6. Pause, breathe, and feel your feet firmly on the ground.
    7. Shift your mood by doing something you really enjoy.
    8. Avoid saying “must” or “should” to yourself today.
    9. Put a problem in perspective by seeing the bigger picture.
    10. Reach out to someone you trust and share your feelings with them.
    11. Look for something positive in a difficult situation.
    12. Write you worries down and save them for a specific “worry time”.
    13. Challenge negative thoughts. Find an alternative interpretation.
    14. Get outside and move to help clear your head.
    15. Set yourself an achievable goal and take the first step.
    16. Find fun ways to distract yourself from unhelpful thoughts.
    17. Use one of your strengths to overcome a challenge today.
    18. Let go of the small stuff and focus on the things that matter.
    19. If you can’t change it, change the way you think about it.
    20. When things go wrong, pause and be kind to yourself.
    21. Identify what helped you get through a tough time in your life.
    22. Find 3 things you feel hopeful about and write them down.
    23. Remember that all feelings and situations pass in time.
    24. Choose to see something good about what has gone wrong.
    25. Notice when you are being judge mental and be kind instead.
    26. Catch yourself over-reacting and take a deep breath.
    27. Write down 3 things you are grateful for (even if today was hard).
    28. Think about what you can learn about a recent problem.
    29. Be a realistic optimist. Focus on what could go right.,
    30. Reach out to a friend, family member, or colleague for support.
    31. Remember we all struggle at times. It’s part of being human.
    RVRita in NM
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Strung popcorn. Got the second bag done. Now to work on the third and that's going to be it for this year.

Michele NC

I love it when you talk about stringing popcorn! Reminds of Christmas and with this heat, any memories of a cooler time is welcomed! Oh, well, can’t complain. My choice to live in the dessert. The good weather outweighs the bad by A LOT!

RVRita