WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2023

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options
    :)Kira, Welcome to the friendliest and most supportive thread in all of the internet. I hope you will keep coming back. I read this thread every morning to remind me that my health is the top item on my list of priorities. I have learned so much from the women who share here. I am older than you and have been posting on this thread for years. Many of my most useful good habits are ones that I acquired by paying attention to suggestions to from women I met here. I get up early every morning to walk my dog for necessary business, then fix my breakfast (the same thing every day to avoid decision fatigue), eat while reading this thread then go out again for a longer walk partly with my dog, partly with my friend, and partly alone with my headphones and a podcast that is positive and encouraging. That leaves me the rest of the day to accomplish other things.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,729 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    exermom wrote: »
    Debbie – Sweet and Spicy tea...I was thinking spicy like in hot peppers, not cinnamon. Now THAT sounds good

I did go in the pool then took a walk around the block. Not without my bathing suit on, work shorts over them (which got wet but that’s ok) and a swimsuit coverup which I wet. Took my ice water with me. Then back in the pool to do my exercises. Really, the pool wasn’t all that refreshing. Next time I probably won't wet the coverup, I really didn't need it wet

TV : Vince refuses to pay for something like Disney+ or Netflix. Then you’d be paying for a lot of different services since some have one show, some another. At least that’s his feeling. Really doesn’t bother me a whole lot since I don’t watch much TV. It does bother me, tho, when a show goes to a special service. Like now all the Charlie Brown’s are on one and we can no longer watch them.

Pip – I didn’t realize that bike seats were so expensive! Guess I just never thought of it.

Rosemarie – one of the things I like about the part of NC that I’m in is that, yes it gets hot, but there aren’t many humid days at all. I remember one time when we were moving things from PA down to a storage unit here in NC. It was 102 degrees. Coming from PA I was certain that we’d be dying. But it was not bad...because you didn’t have the humidity.

Rebecca – when Vince bought his Genesis, the same thing happened to me. I found out by phone from the insurance company. I should have known that he’d buy it.

Wrapped up the crystal I'm going to take to the Humane Society's thrift store. I think Vince was sad to do it, the crystal reminds him of his parents. But we don't use it, Replacements won't buy it. First I'll stop at the soup kitchen and give them bags and empty egg cartons that I have

Better get to bed.

Michele NC

That bike alone cost $1000.00. That has been my first road bike. I didn’t pay for it so it wasn’t so hard in buying it. Lolol. I had a winter bike and kirby thought I was riding often enough and experienced enough to Grady in getting a road bike. I remember riding it for the first time, I was so light! He had been asking me from time to time if I wanted another one but I’ve said no every time, I’m fine with one summer bike.

$1000! That must have been a long time ago, Pip.

My Giant road bicycle, which is now my trainer bicycle, was $750 back in 2002.
    A similar bicycle wouldn't be anywhere near that low now.

I'm riding a titanium road bicycle I bought in 2010 these days. Sometimes I think something newer might be nice, but the titanium still works for me.

Machka in Oz

Bought it in 2014, so that was the price back then.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,970 Member
    Options
    July 2023 Jump Back Up
    Word of the year: appreciate. Today I appreciate the wind on a hot day.
    Meditation: daily. 8/30(82%(started Feb)94%,100%, 74%, 93%

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 4/8–(100%,100%,0%,0%,0%,0%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 5989, (7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 1/2 —(100%,100%,100%,100%,100%, 100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 126/208—(100%,100%,100%,50%, 83%, 100% should be 137 by August 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)56/94 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,(100%,100%,100%,0%,100%,100%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 3/15 (100%,88%,100,100%,100%,100%,93%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 24/12 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 6/12—(100%.100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107 (100%,100%,100%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Take a small step to help overcome a problem or worry. I am working on helping my son through this tough time by being in contact with his case worker and tracking his location.
    2. Adopt a growth mindset. Change “I can’t” into “I can’t…yet”. I try to never use those words. I follow Yoda’s ‘Do or not, there is no try”
    3. Be willing to ask for help when you need it. I will. My back hurts today so will easily ask for help when I need it.
    4. Find something to look forward to today. Missed posting this yesterday. So today I am looking forward to my therapy session.
    5. Get the basics right: eat well, exercise and go to bed on time. Will do!
    6. Pause, breathe, and feel your feet firmly on the ground. Will meditate today to help me do this.
    7. Shift your mood by doing something you really enjoy. I really need to do this today.
    8. Avoid saying “must” or “should” to yourself today.
    9. Put a problem in perspective by seeing the bigger picture.
    10. Reach out to someone you trust and share your feelings with them.
    11. Look for something positive in a difficult situation.
    12. Write you worries down and save them for a specific “worry time”.
    13. Challenge negative thoughts. Find an alternative interpretation.
    14. Get outside and move to help clear your head.
    15. Set yourself an achievable goal and take the first step.
    16. Find fun ways to distract yourself from unhelpful thoughts.
    17. Use one of your strengths to overcome a challenge today.
    18. Let go of the small stuff and focus on the things that matter.
    19. If you can’t change it, change the way you think about it.
    20. When things go wrong, pause and be kind to yourself.
    21. Identify what helped you get through a tough time in your life.
    22. Find 3 things you feel hopeful about and write them down.
    23. Remember that all feelings and situations pass in time.
    24. Choose to see something good about what has gone wrong.
    25. Notice when you are being judge mental and be kind instead.
    26. Catch yourself over-reacting and take a deep breath.
    27. Write down 3 things you are grateful for (even if today was hard).
    28. Think about what you can learn about a recent problem.
    29. Be a realistic optimist. Focus on what could go right.,
    30. Reach out to a friend, family member, or colleague for support.
    31. Remember we all struggle at times. It’s part of being human.
    RVRita in NM
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Worked, stopped at the soup kitchen to give them bags and empty egg cartons. Then to the Humane Society’s thrift store to make the donation.

I’ll go in the pool in a few, take my walk in my wet bathing suit, then go back in the pool like I did yesterday

Barbara – I’m so sorry, which mirror was it? Good luck to Joe.

I can’t drink black tea. It upsets my stomach. No other tea does

Kylia – glad you don’t have to go back to the MD for a year

kira – welcome!

Off to the pool!

Michele NC
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,540 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    exermom wrote: »
    Debbie – Sweet and Spicy tea...I was thinking spicy like in hot peppers, not cinnamon. Now THAT sounds good

TV : Vince refuses to pay for something like Disney+ or Netflix. Then you’d be paying for a lot of different services since some have one show, some another. At least that’s his feeling. Really doesn’t bother me a whole lot since I don’t watch much TV. It does bother me, tho, when a show goes to a special service. Like now all the Charlie Brown’s are on one and we can no longer watch them.

Rebecca – when Vince bought his Genesis, the same thing happened to me. I found out by phone from the insurance company. I should have known that he’d buy it.

Wrapped up the crystal I'm going to take to the Humane Society's thrift store. I think Vince was sad to do it, the crystal reminds him of his parents. But we don't use it, Replacements won't buy it. First I'll stop at the soup kitchen and give them bags and empty egg cartons that I have

Better get to bed.

Michele NC

That tea is so good- 0 calories but tastes so sweet, like there is sugar or honey in it. I always keep at least an extra box of it on hand.

Dh is just the opposite of Vince- has extended cable, extras like Disney+, Netflix, and who knows what else. I do know that our cable/internet costs us over $175 a month- I think that is absolutely crazy but he has to have all of it.

We have an Xfinity bundle so phone, Internet, tv. Its currently $266 a month.😒. But it has most every show we would want to watch, plus I can watch a lot of YouTube things.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Awake early. We've been on continental time all holiday, so I'm an hour ahead.
    I'm downstairs in the living room.
    I made yoghurt last night, so I got that out of the IP to cool. On the ship I had their homemade yoghurt every breakfast on berries, or a fruit platter. I've asked DH to put some on my morning muesli and fruit. Got lots of berries in yesterday's delivery. :D The strawberries were free, as they were the same day's expiry date. They look fine! They also gave me two bowls of olives, instead of the one I ordered. Didn't charge me for it.
    Today's lunch will be Tricolore - mozzarella, tomatoes and avocado, arranged like the Italian flag. Garlic and olive oil dressing. Basil.
    How my basil survived I'm not sure, but I'm glad it did! One year I put a basil plant in the bin when we went away. When we came back and lifted the lid up, it was still ok! It survived to be an enormous plant!

I'm not going to write today and will take things easy. Still need to hang things up and do a teeny bit of laundry. I always take a while to decompress and adjust from any long holiday. I'm not a quick 'switcher'.
    Gym as usual this morning. I will start doing a bit of elliptical again. Haven't done that for ages. My wrist is so much better. Can grip and bend it. It can't quite take the full amount of weight, so no push ups yet, but it is nearly there. I did rowing and light weights on the cruise with no ill effects. I will be able to resume light dumbbells at home now.
    Looks like a beautiful day. The light is gorgeous. It's supposed to get warm.

We had Hairy Bikers last night, so I've got a leftover boneless cooked chicken thigh. Plus fresh green flat beans. Maybe that is calling for pesto? I really want to continue with lower simple carbs, so I might be having it with cauliflower rice. Trouble is I love our wholegrain spelt spaghetti!

Love to all. Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Googling hairy bikers.....I'm nervous. 😁😂
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Heather that's a beautiful painting!

Annie in Delaware
  • Whidislander
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    Good Friday
    I will get some pictures posted this weekend. Take two days off of no extra work work and you would think the world was coming to an end. The weather systems that Ginny was talking about have dropped some rain, but are also causing havoc with my head! Migraine now more on than off for last 3 days. Meds are working on that. Belly feeling much better. Still watching food intake. Have had chicken and rice, chicken with mayo and crackers, peanut butter, and scrambled eggs. Time to add in some vegetables and fruits (slowly!) Doctor has me taking Benefiber and a probiotic twice a day. Go figure when I have had no alcohol, chocolate, caramels, sweets, and limited diet I get a fricking yeast infection. Some days I can't win. Summer is apparently not friendly for my health. I have soaked in epson salts twice now. Have primary dr appointment this morning (routine), will ask her, but may need to call gyn. Wearing a skirt today! Jeans really hurt yesterday. WBC are low again.....everything in normal range, but that one is just low. More after dr appointment. Oh, I don't go back to electrical heart doctor for a year unless symptoms get worse.

Wet bathing suits- I own 3-4 suits as I can't stand putting on a wet one. I also can't sit around an indoor pool in a wet one. It is in the water or into dry clothes.

Mini vacations I agree that away time is wonderful! Even just a short time/distance away. I would love to just get in the car, drive, and pick a place to stop for the weekend. I love our long one, but miss my short ones every 3 months.

I reckon I have whined enough ;) I need to finish getting ready for work.

Thank you ladies for sharing your vacations, dreams, strategies, and inspirations!
    I love being part of the group of STRONG, SMART, and CARING ladies!

Have a great day!
    <3
    Kylia still trying to get her S88t together in Ohio

Bathing suit dillemma: I have a solution but its not for the faint of heart.🙃😁. Every state has nudist resorts.😁. Easy peasy no issues.😂. I know, I am so "odd". There is always one in every group, and I have self appointed it be me.🙃
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Your faithful weirdo on Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Heather, thanks for letting us come vicariously along on your cruise.💖. Reading your daily adventures is the closest I am ever going to get, to going on a cruise. Decompress now, and take your time adjusting, and acclimating to home.
    Oooh Hairy Bikers is a tv programme. Gotcha. I thought it was a particular food. My bad. It didn't sound very tasty *shivers*.😂
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,035 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Regarding spicy tea ...

All sorts!!

dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Good Earth Sweet and Spicy tea- is amazing- if you like cinnamon, you will really like it-think Red hots or Fire Ball Whiskey-
    I have gotten so many people hooked on it.

5hglrsci1k6n.png

"Naturally caffeine free rooibos red tea infused with spicy cinnamon and sweet orange."

I drink a Twinings variety of that. :) It is very good.

j41pwxowga5y.png

The Sweet and Spicy tea, the cinnamon tastes more like red hot candy or FireBall Whiskey. The other orange cinnamon teas I have had taste more like ground cinnamon/cinnamon sticks
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,431 Member
    Options
    It's Friday!

Barbara - I am SO thankful it was only your side mirror, but geeze, way too close for comfort. What's a Shanghai hospital move?

Gosh, yesterday was car day on this thread. :DTracey - did you have any luck? Debbie - DH drove home with new car?

Barbie - I appreciated the comments re repair old car/buy new(er). True that without a partner in the mix, car purchase decision is simpler. Sounds like your friend made some good car buying decisions that served her well. Good luck with your next vehicle!

Rosemarie - speaking of vehicles, have you been able to sell the disability van yet?

Heather - glad to hear your wrist is so much better now. Always enjoy hearing "what's for supper" at your house.

Kylia - sounds like you had a good doc visit this morning. :) Hope your "down there" issue gets better quickly.

Katla - I was so glad to escape that summer humidity when we left northern Indiana in '77. Anyone with naturally curly hair (like mine) was doomed to deal with frizz. It has cooled off out here and we have a layer of "marine air" this morning. Slight frizz. :p

I spent over an hour at the auto repair shop this morning. They weren't busy and did a visual check of what's under the Subaru's hood. It's going in next Wednesday to trace some oil leaks, which so far don't look too bad, then timing belt and possible tune up. Belts, hoses and all that jazz. He told me a ballpark of worst-case-scenario major engine costs, which are doable.

As we were going through the car records, the service tech said there's no reason this little car won't go another 100,000 miles barring some unanticipated catastrophic event. I'll have to throw some money into it from time to time, but it will be a fraction of a new(used) car taking into account lower insurance and annual tabs. Never mind payments and interest of course. If I put 10,000 miles on a vehicle every year and needed dependable (and more comfortable) transportation to and from work each day, a newer cushy vehicle would be a good idea.

But, he pretty much covered my "pro/con" list for keeping it vs. trading it. He said HE drives a 1997 4-Runner with 200,000 miles and intends to keep it going forever. And he used to sell cars, lol.

Once I get the Sube all squared away, I'll take DH's 2004 Camry in and make sure it's in good shape for another 100,000 miles. :)

Have a great weekend!

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,035 Member
    Options
    Lanette- dh did that quite a few years ago. What made me madder was he knew how I felt when former hubby did it then he did and didn't understand why I was upset. I wasn't there so my name isn't on the paperwork for it.
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Pip that's too bad. Hope he finds it.

Annie in Delaware