Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    July 2023 Jump Back Up
    1. Take a small step to help overcome a problem or worry.
    2. Adopt a growth mindset. Change “I can’t” into “I can’t…yet”.
    3. Be willing to ask for help when you need it.
    4. Find something to look forward to today.
    5. Get the basics right: eat well, exercise and go to bed on time. Will do!
    6. Pause, breathe, and feel your feet firmly on the ground. Will meditate today to help me do this.
    7. Shift your mood by doing something you really enjoy. I really need to do this today.
    8. Avoid saying “must” or “should” to yourself today.
    9. Put a problem in perspective by seeing the bigger picture.
    10. Reach out to someone you trust and share your feelings with them.
    11. Look for something positive in a difficult situation.
    12. Write you worries down and save them for a specific “worry time”.
    13. Challenge negative thoughts. Find an alternative interpretation.
    14. Get outside and move to help clear your head.
    15. Set yourself an achievable goal and take the first step.
    16. Find fun ways to distract yourself from unhelpful thoughts.
    17. Use one of your strengths to overcome a challenge today.
    18. Let go of the small stuff and focus on the things that matter.
    19. If you can’t change it, change the way you think about it.
    20. When things go wrong, pause and be kind to yourself.
    21. Identify what helped you get through a tough time in your life.
    22. Find 3 things you feel hopeful about and write them down.
    23. Remember that all feelings and situations pass in time.
    24. Choose to see something good about what has gone wrong.
    25. Notice when you are being judge mental and be kind instead.
    26. Catch yourself over-reacting and take a deep breath.
    27. Write down 3 things you are grateful for (even if today was hard).
    28. Think about what you can learn about a recent problem.
    29. Be a realistic optimist. Focus on what could go right.,
    30. Reach out to a friend, family member, or colleague for support.
    31. Remember we all struggle at times. It’s part of being human.
    RVRita in NM
    zbu0avrh80k0.png

1. Take a small step to help overcome a problem or worry.
    2. Adopt a growth mindset. Change “I can’t” into “I can’t…yet”.
    3. Be willing to ask for help when you need it.
    4. Find something to look forward to today.
    5. Get the basics right: eat well, exercise and go to bed on time.
    6. Pause, breathe, and feel your feet firmly on the ground.
    7. Shift your mood by doing something you really enjoy.
    8. Avoid saying “must” or “should” to yourself today.

For me, there are two ways I attempt to overcome problems or worries. 1. Prayer - I pray for peace and wisdom. 2. Doing something about it - even just first steps. So I don't worry a lot and I rarely lose sleep over things.

My "I can't" is usually "I don't want to" or "I don't have time for it". But if I want to or if I do have time for it, I will. :)

So right now, I don't think I sing very well. I'll tell people, I can't sing. But that's not really true because I can sing, but maybe not beautifully. Taking voice lessons is on my "50 Things To Do Before I Die" list, so maybe one day I will, when I have time for it.

At work, sometimes I just can't figure out the code to get my programs to do something. If that happens, I've got work colleagues who are more skilled than I am and I'll tap into their knowledge.

My days are full of "musts" and "shoulds". I have a long list of things I need to do. Sometimes I become overwhelmed by it all and feel like the entomologist in Woman in the Dunes. But it does feel good when I finally accomplish something.

So as for looking forward to something, I look forward to accomplishing something from my list. I also look forward to getting outside and exercising, to reading a novel, to colouring, to working with my photos, to working in my garden, to having wins with my code and data at work, to some of the many webinars I attend, to walking outside with Rhody .... These things can help improve my mood. Fortunately, I do enjoy most of my life.

Today, I looked forward to sleeping in. Same with tomorrow. I slept about 11.5 hours last night and it was wonderful! I could easily do that again and sometimes wonder how many 11.5 hour sleeps it would take before I no longer felt tired.

Today was a rainy, windy, cool day. A couple times I thought about going out to the garden, but then another band of windy rain came through, so I gave it up. I stayed in my PJs most of the day and only changed to take Rhody out for a walk between waves of rain. Occasionally I take a PJ day. I probably need it more often than I take it but I enjoy the few days like this I get each year.

However, I have done some paperwork and computer stuff.

Machka in Oz
  • myvt9v4crh
    myvt9v4crh Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    We had rain last night. I watched John Wayne Westerns with dh. It was an excellent show featuring Native Americans. It was the best of his movies that I have seen.

There are still water droplets on the window this morning & the hummingbirds have visited the feeder. 🌤️

Katla
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Im having a cup of the good earth sweet and spicy tea.. i did put a smidge of stevia in it,not much.. I like it alot..
    This week coming up will be a doozy.. have to bring Alfie to groomers ,and go for a stress test ,but not on the treadmill.. its where they give you a shot.. such a thrill..
    Miles starts his daycare monday,its gonna be rough on everyone ..
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Im having a cup of the good earth sweet and spicy tea.. i did put a smidge of stevia in it,not much.. I like it alot..
    This week coming up will be a doozy.. have to bring Alfie to groomers ,and go for a stress test ,but not on the treadmill.. its where they give you a shot.. such a thrill..
    Miles starts his daycare monday,its gonna be rough on everyone ..

I'd rather do the stress test on a treadmill.

I've done one of those once and they eventually just ended it because they'd picked up evidence of my damaged valves, and there was no point for me to keep running.

M in Oz
  • majork29
    majork29 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Good morning, I am in my office with my cup of coffee, planning my day. Farley (10 month old bernese mountain dog/saint bernard mix) is waiting for me to finish so we can get out and walk.

Barbie, thank you for the warm welcome. I have a puppy again right now and we love to go for walks.

Machka thank you for the definition, see if only my kids could just answer without making fun, shaming…. LOL I joke they would make fun but it would be all in fun…

• laltt
    laltt Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Ginny-I’ve been to ortho twice and the first time they sent me to PT and everything was so painful and tight that they extended PT. By the end I felt great. Flare ups have been short but tight now it’s been about 10 days. Switching from Tylenol/Aleve to ibuprofen and this morning it feels a bit less intense. I do the exercises from PT. Last ortho appt he pretty much blew me off and said it’s just arthritis. My PCP was convinced it’s bursitis.

Machka-owww! Lots of injuries. Glad you’ve been able to push through.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    The plan for tomorrow is to do ProForm’s Get Strong Sexy and Skinny DVD. Church tonight. But first want to go in the pool then take my walk.

Rebecca - got dinner ready. I'm taking your suggestion and having just 1/3 of a Kodiak waffle.

Heather – that is so nice of you to help out

We do have sirius in all the vehicles. I especially like it when I’m traveling far from home (like going to FL). I sometimes listen to it on my walk (when I’m not listening to a podcast)

Cut up the store cards that I don’t use. I’m only down to 2 store cards – Belks and Kohl’s. And 3 credit cards. Don’t really want any more.

Off to the pool

Michele NC
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I've got a small pile of ginger root waiting to be peeled and then sliced to make some candied ginger. Corey's off to get the grocery shopping done before the next storm moves in. Lovely soaking rain all morning, only a little thunder/lightning.

Regarding finances:
    I've been resetting our budget to accommodate paying the house off this month, so am far too familiar with our monthly expenditures at this point. Averaged out the life, health, vision, dental, home and vehicle insurances ($400); taxes ($75); utilities including internet, trash, gas, water, electric and cell phones ($565); and entertainment (streaming services and books - $60) and came up with $1100 monthly outlay on average.

Many of these I put into savings over the course of the year and pay from there, as they're paid annually or twice a year. Many of the insurances pay discounts if you go to an annual payment, and with interest rates high, am getting a much better return on savings, so the money earns a few dollars back.

Groceries and miscellaneous costs vary so widely that it's not easy to predict, but I'm going through our credit card and checkbook records for the last six months to see where the dollars have gone and try to get a valid average for those, too. Once the house is paid, we have no debt, a goal we've been aiming for all our married life. We are very fortunate.

Time to get in the shower, and then get this ginger started. Read everyone's posts, hugs to those needing them, kudos to those who've accomplished so much, and welcome to those who are new.

Regards,
    Lisa in AR