AUGUST 2023 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Have you ever read the book Spook by Mary Roach? There is an entire chapter in that book talking about experiments to determine if souls have weight. While I'm recommending books, I thought Spook was really good, but Stiff is by far the best book by Mary Roach.

Having in essence stopped reading all together I joined a book club earlier this year to force my hand a bit. In a few weeks I get to choose the next book for the club. I'll take a look.

So far I've really enjoyed:
      • Strangers to Ourselves - Unsettled Minds and the Stories That Make Us, by Rachel Aviv
      • The Secret of Our Success - How Culture Is Driving Human Evolution, Domesticating Our Species, and Making Us Smarter, by Joseph Henrich

"Strangers" is well written and compelling. "Secret" is dense and tough, but very provocative and I'm happy I got through it. (without the peer pressure of the book club I certainly would not have got through it.)
    • quilteryoyo
      quilteryoyo Posts: 6,076 Member
      Options
      @polskagirl01 I hope you get rid of the mouse. I strongly dislike them.

Thanks. Sounds like a great run @martaindale . Love all the animals you saw
    • tarun_yadavA
      tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,162 Member
      Options
      @quilteryoyo sorry to hear the PCT was uncomfortable... And well done on getting some exercise in after
    • martaindale
      martaindale Posts: 2,114 Member
      Options
      shanaber wrote: »
      @tarun_yadavA - I prefer to use avocado on most anything I would put mayo on like sandwiches or burgers. I love avocado and only tolerated mayo before.

I love using avocado as a condiment. I remember Tarun describing avocado as over-rated so I’m not sure how he would feel about this but I think it’s delicious!

@polskagirl01 Polar bear dunks year round! Sounds right up your alley.
    • kgirlhart
      kgirlhart Posts: 5,013 Member
      Options
      August Goal: 125 Miles

8/1: 6.26 miles
      8/2: 5.57 miles
      8/3: 5.12 miles
      8/6: 11.26 miles
      8/8: 6.26 miles
      8/9: 6.02 miles
      8/10: 6.04 miles
      8/13: 10.26 miles
      8/14: 1.56 miles
      8/15: 7.02 miles
      8/16: 6.06 miles
      8/17: 6.31 miles

77.74/125 miles completed for August

It was warmer at 80°F this morning than it was yesterday, but it was still cooler than it was last week. So it was a pretty pleasant run and I ran 6.3 miles. I didn't see any skunks today, but I did see a doe and two fawns. The deer are starting to get active around here too @martaindale . The deer I saw also just stood and watched me, then they crossed the road watching me the whole time and stood on the other side. They were really cute.
      t5zkwv482n9k.jpg
      ghlp545f2p4h.jpg

The pictures aren't great, but I didn't want to get too close so I had to zoom in.

Tomorrow is our 33rd wedding anniversary, so I am taking tomorrow and Monday as vacation days so we can have a long weekend. I will still try to get a long run in on Sunday, but mostly I am planning to do nothing for four days.

I used to eat mayonnaise, but now I prefer to use avocado, or guacamole instead.

exercise.png

• quilteryoyo
      quilteryoyo Posts: 6,076 Member
      Options
      @polskagirl01 You better than me with the ice water. I don't think I could do that.

Congrats on that hill run @martaindale !

Great run @kgirlhart . I love your pictures of the deer, even if a bit blurry. So cool that you and @martaindale are seeing them on your runs! Happy Anniversary to you and your DH! Thirty three years is an accomplishment!