WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2023

Options

Replies

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,458 Member
    Options
    Tracey - I keep forgetting to say how sorry I am about your cousin's son and family's accident. Sounds like there's a lot of healing time ahead of him, glad the rest are OK. As far as the vertigo - have you tried the Home Epley Maneuver? It's very safe, and won't hurt you if it isn't effective. It's been handy for me to get rid of most of my vertigo. Not all - I still have an issue when I lay down on my right side at night. I need to try it a couple more times before I talk to my doc about it in November.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,038 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    CarolGaGal wrote: »
    Feeling sorry for myself. What do you do when your husband wants to sleep most of the day and then is up most of the night? I am beginning to feel like a widow. Can't plan to do anything together after lunch because he has to have his nap and it usually last 3 to 6 hrs.
    Carol in GA

My husband and I have very different preferred sleep schedules.

He's an early bird who likes to nap in the afternoon.
    I'm a night owl who likes to sleep my morning away given any opportunity to do that.

During the week, we wake up about the same time and I go off to work. He naps in the afternoon so that he can stay up till about 10 pm. Then he goes to bed. I go to bed about midnight.

On weekends and holidays, he gets up between 8:30 and 9:30 am. I get up about noon. Then he sleeps from about 2:30 - 4:30 or so while I enjoy the peace and quiet!! I tidy, garden, or work on projects on my computer. Then we exercise and have dinner. He goes to bed somewhere between 10 and 11 pm, and I go to bed between 1 and 2 am.

If I were left to my own devices, I'd always go to bed between 1 and 2 am, and get up about noon. Unfortunately, I can only do that on the weekends and on holidays.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Cleaning/laundry schedule --

When I have enough for a load, I do a load of MY wash. My husband does his own.
    If the weekend is nice enough I can dry things outside, I'll do towels and/or sheets.

My husband does some of the cleaning, but ...

Every weekend, shortly after noon, I clean the bathroom. Takes about 5 minutes. Saturday ... I wake up about noon, do my "morning" ablutions, and then spray things down and wipe. I might repeat on Sunday.

Every couple months, I'll vacuum. Usually on a rainy day.

What am I missing? What other cleaning is there? That's usually all I do.

Like I say, my husband does some of the cleaning in between.

M in Oz

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,626 Member
    Options
  • Machka9
    Options
    Kim - so pleased that it was merely that "thorn in your side..." and not cancer. I think it's become such a kneejerk reaction on the part of the doctors, it's a little scary. I have not had a doctor actually touch me in years, other than them clutching their stethoscope outside my shirt and pressing it to my chest, then telling me to take a deep breath. Techs, sure... mammograms, cardiograms, echocardiograms... but the docs just look at the test results and talk to me.

Sue - how are your sarcoidosis symptoms doing? Better, I hope. I think of you often. I'm so pleased that you're making sure to give your old mare the best chance to make it through the winter.

Heather - Many happy birthday wishes for Johnnie, and hope your birthday lunch out is absolutely wonderful. The delicacies for picnics in your room sound lovely and wonderful. Glad the holiday row is completed already... such a relief to have that over with! :smiley:

Rebecca - Such an amazing change in Lee, just absolutely wonderful. You had to be so scared all the time at that point. So pleased the transplant was so successful.

Lanette - I'm so pleased I've inspired you to make homemade pizza. The best thing I've learned here with all these lovely women is that I do best if I eat whatever I choose and control my serving sizes. It's simply much more effective for me than leaving out any type of food, like fats or carbs or whatever the latest style is... I do try to leave my early meal as late as I can handle it, but eating smaller amounts and less often has been the most effective thing for me for weight maintenance and control.

Time to go pull the focaccia out of the oven, the house smells wonderful.

Hope it's a lovely start to the week for everyone.

Love,
    Lisa in AR

It was a rough time back then. Really no different than living with an alcoholic. Each day presented itself differently and there was no security in how he was doing. I think the hardest thing was he would be fine one day, driving, watching tv, then the next day he would be in an ammonia coma not able to comprehend anything. It kept me on edge the entire time. So now I appreciate each and every day with the man.💖👍🏼
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

Living with a person with a severe brain injury is very much one day at a time too. One day, he can be fairly energetic and on top of things ... and the next day, it's just the opposite. Or maybe he'll start energetic, etc. and suddenly everything crashes. But I never know what tomorrow will bring.

So I'll plan ... but I've usually got a Plan B and C up my sleeve too.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Worked then went to get my flu shot. Went to bowling and tonight will go to ceramics. The MD said that Vince has a bacterial infection. Something inside of me says that it’s the flu.

Update on Vince: Well, I went to ceramics and when I got home he was laying in bed. Then he rushed to the bathroom and threw up. He thinks it’s either the medicine or (as usual) dinner. I really don’t think it’s anything with the dinner. He’s had everything before without a reaction. The medicine is new. Also, some of the side effects are nausea, vomiting. I firmly believe in the body’s ability to heal itself. He believes in having a pill for every ache and pain. I’m a bit tired so I’ll go to bed and be there for him during the night.

Michele NC

Why do you doubt the doctor?

Chances are he's experiencing side effects of the bacterial infection.

Nausea and vomiting are symptoms of bacterial infections.

M in Oz

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Gratitudes:
    10/16-the warm, dry, shelter of our little blue doublewide in the woods above the sea. It is really pouring down rain. There are so many living in vehicles, if they’re lucky, and on the street or in the forest if they’re not.
    10/15-oatmeal, many bean salad, 90 billion probiotics.
    10/14-waking up… in my own bed.
    10/13-The cocoa I spilled all over my chest and lap wasn’t hot. Made it through US199 before it closed at 1pm.
    10/12-dermatologist’s practice has two MOHS surgeons, just in case. Delicious meal at One Fifteen in Grants pass, exactly the prime rib, baked potato I wanted and Oh, that house gorgonzola vinaigrette. Yum!
    Dermatologist zapped one spot, scraped another. Not sure when results will come in.
    Missed a big opportunity to keep my mouth shut Sunday. When our church musician retired, her backup stepped up. Alas, no one has stepped up to be his backup, and he’s already been gone once. Acapella hymns were kinda ok, but acapella chants felt like Good Friday. When it came up at church council, pastor’s wife volunteered to accompany simple hymns on her ukuklele, and I offered to “give pastor the note” on the piano for the chants. Musician cautioned me I’d also have to give the congregation the melody line. Swell. Now I really have to keep the clutter off the keyboard so I can practice...
    Here it is halfway through the month and I’ve joined the “pack on weight for winter” tribe. Time to shift those habits that have gotten sloppy. Substitute AF beer for two glasses of wine. Downsize from 3 pcs of chocolate to two or better one. More veggies. Less bread. You all know the drill.
    Katla (@myvt9v4crh, @Katla49) teeniest little grey hummingbird was sipping from our feeder when a big DRIP from the gutter above startled her away. Thinking of you.
    Welcome @Shuleran Anita in SC and congrats on the first month! Whooshing good thoughts for your surgery and quick, complete recovery.
    Welcome @RoseBred43 Rose in Taz, well begun!
    Read everyone’s post through page 36 but failed to take notes. Enjoyed the travel and kid pics, ((hugs)) and :love: to all. Now need to sleep so can get up early for casserole-a-thon. ;)
    10/16: Move: 2 sets PT w/D, line dance class, dogs to powerline. Steps:8908
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=42 CI<CO net=555 vits=1
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, AD, ptT, ptS, library, bottle return, Grocery Outet, recycling, filing. Wt:131.8
    10/15: Move: 2 sets PT w/d,x&a, dogs to powerline. Steps:4736
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=-2 CI<CO net=228 vits=1
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, AD, ptT, ptS, council minutes, groom Tumble. Wt:132.1
    10/14: Move: 2 sets PT w/d,x&a, dog group, Jeopardy walking. Steps:7892
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=6 CI<CO net=58 vits=0.5
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, AD, AF, ptT, ptS, M Wt:132.9
    10/13: Move: ZERO sets PT. Steps:5311
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=36 CI<CO net=1030 vits=1
    Live: Joe, partial readings, Trader Joe’s, BP, marathon unpack organize find a place for all I bought. Wt:133.4
    10/12: Move: ZERO sets PT, shop-a-thon. Steps:7912
    Fuel: b] sugar in vs mfp=-3[/b] , CI<CO net=128 vits=1
    Live: Joe, partial readings, BP, dermatologist, Wal~Mart, Winco, Wt:134.0!

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    October: Move more: chair yoga, line dance, dailyish PT, play with dogs.
    Fuel better: less sugar, dailyish vitamins.
    Live NOW: dailyish time with Joe, readings. Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2023: Be of good cheer.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,240 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Just chilling today after my hectic Monday. (Creative Writing and Monday Painters) DH is off to play badminton this morning so I am indulging myself with a lie-in and reading your posts. It’s the first really cold day, so snuggling under the duvet for an extra hour is heaven.

Machka: Glad to know that your rash has eased.
    Heather: 🥰 your French travelogue.
    Rebecca: I had a a different picture in my mind of Lee in suspenders 😝 We call those braces in UK. Suspenders are for holding up socks/stockings.
    😂😂😂

🤗🤗🤗 and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 to those who need/want them.

☘️ Terri
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    <3
    Betsy in NW WA