WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2023

Options

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,387 Member
    Options
    So my dad tells me we are running out of laundry soap and shows me the dishwasher soap package. Sure enough he has been washing his clothes with Cascade dishwasher soap. He is such a smart man, but he has a huge blind spot on the domestic side. Oh well he is an adult he is responsible for his own laundry. At least he gets his new hearing aids today.

I waited all day yesterday for the electrician for smoke detectors, finally called and they said the appointment was today. Very annoying.

Annie in Delaware

Annie - so did the dishwasher detergent get your dad's clothes clean when used as laundry soap? We talked about using Dawn in the washing machine a week or two ago in this thread. It just occurred to me that adding a bit of dishwashing detergent to the laundry now and then might help to clean my washer. ;) Worth a try I think.

Hope the electrician arrives on time and gets the job done efficiently.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,626 Member
    Options
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,904 Member
    Options
    2023 Optimistic October

Word of the Year: appreciate—Today I appreciate the birds and the bees as they pollinate.
    Meditation: daily. 16/31 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%,100%)

Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min 16/23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 0/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) /8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min /20

Foods to avoid:
    Barley
    Bell peppers
    Chicken
    Clam
    Egg white
    Eggplant
    Ginger
    Rye
    Wheat
    Winter squash

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%,100%). 60 days SOBER!
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 7819, 7203, (7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%—6458,92%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 2/2 (800%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 215/208—(733%) should be 189 by November 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)74/94 (800%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4, 172.2 (600%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 12/23 (681%,100,100)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 42/12
    (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 10/12—(1000%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (1000%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,0,0
    500%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met——99%
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

Write down three things you can look forward to this month. 1. Another month of sobriety 2. Cooler weather 3. Decorating for Halloween
    2. Find something to be optimistic about (even if it’s a difficult time). I am optimistic about cooler weather.
    3. Take a small step to a goal that really matters to you. I need to call my uncle.
    4. Start the day with the most important thing on your to-do-list. Updating this list and My Fitness Pal.
    5. Be a realistic optimist. See life as it is but focus on what’s good. I usually hope for the best but prepare for the worst. I think this counts!
    6. Remind yourself that things can change for the better. No matter how bad you think it is, it can always get worse. So enjoy life no matter where you are, or what you are doing, or your circumstances.
    7. Look for the good in people around you today. I can do this if I try. This was not difficult to do with visitors. Employees were a different matter!
    8. Make some progress on a project or task you’ve been avoiding. I need to clean the cabinets out. I am planning to start today. Didn’t happen.
    9. Share an important goal with someone you trust. did not do this.
    10. Take time to reflect on what you have accomplished recently. I have accomplished coloring pages, making doctor appointments, calming my nerves by taking some actions I never tried before, and more.
    11. Avoid blaming yourself or others. Find a helpful way forward. This is hard for me.
    12. Look out for positive news and reasons to be cheerful today. With everything going on around me and in me this will be hard, but I will pay attention to good news.
    13. Ask for help to overcome an obstacle you are facing. The obstacles I have cannot be solved by me, but by family members.
    14. Do something constructive to improve a difficult situation. I will have to think on this. I posted pictures of the eclipse that happened here on the Friends Group FB page, and sent some pics to my son and grandson.
    15. Thank yourself for achieving the things you often take for granted. I got up in a thankful mood today so I should be able to do this. The eclipse yesterday couldn’t have gone better.
    16. Put down your to-list and do something fun or uplifting. I will color, walk, and meditate-all things that are fun and uplifting to me.
    17. Take a small step toward a positive change you want to see in society. Teaching adults computer use provides a positive change in my community.
    18. Set hopeful, but realistic goals for the days ahead.
    19. Identify one of your positive qualities that will be helpful in the future.
    20. Find joy in tackling a task you’ve put off for some time.
    21. Let go of the expectations of others and focus on what matters to you.
    22. Share a hopeful quote, picture, or video with a friend or colleague
    23. Recognize that you have a choice of what to prioritize.
    24. Write down three specific things that have gone well recently.
    25. You can’t do everything! What are three priorities right now?
    26. Find a new prospective on a problem you face.
    27. Be kind to yourself today. Remember progress takes time.
    28. Ask yourself ‘will this still matter a year from now?’
    29. Plan a fun or exciting activity to look forward to.
    30. Identify three things that give you hope for the future.
    31. Set a goal that brings a sense of purpose for the coming month.

RVRita , Roswell, NM

“There is no need for me to accept blame for another person’s irrational actions. I will deal with my own shortcomings.” ALANON’s One Day at a Time.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,297 Member
    Options
    Rita - This is for you. <3
    n8idg2tzuwnk.jpg

This is DH'S birthday weather!
    6wsqadt8xcph.jpg

Heather UK xxxxxx

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    Happiest of Birthday's to Johnnie
    Sorry you have foul weather..
    I picked Alfie up at the groomers and as usual he looks wonderful..and smells so much better.. and then we went to visit my brother up at his house..it was nice to catch up..
    Im really tired today.. going to take a quick nap and then pick up Tracy and Miles,we are taking a trip to Costco.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,038 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    So my dad tells me we are running out of laundry soap and shows me the dishwasher soap package. Sure enough he has been washing his clothes with Cascade dishwasher soap. He is such a smart man, but he has a huge blind spot on the domestic side. Oh well he is an adult he is responsible for his own laundry. At least he gets his new hearing aids today.

Annie in Delaware

This is where you may need to step in and take charge. He may be smart and an adult, but if he is heading into dementia, his brain may not be operating the way it once did, and you'll need to be his brain.

In this case, the soap he uses probably doesn't matter but ...

You may have to show him what to use. You may need to hide the dishwashing soap and make the laundry detergent really visible. You may need to start labelling things.

That said, when I've been on long cycling tours, I would bring a small bottle of dish soap and use it for my dishes, laundry and sometimes me as well. Soap is soap.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    On walking ...

This site has been around for a while and measures (to some degree) the walkability score of places in several countries. In other words, if you put your address in, it will tell you how good your area is for walking.
    https://www.walkscore.com/

My place has a walk score of 53 out of 100, meaning that some things can be accomplished by walking.

Hobart, where I work, has a walk score of 92 our of 100!! :)

They've also ranked US and Canadian cities by their walkability ... with a walk score, transit score, and bike score.
    https://www.walkscore.com/cities-and-neighborhoods/

So, I walk to the bus and home again from the bus every day. That's 0.8 km.

Then, at lunch, I walk around Hobart. Walking is probably the most efficient way to run errands in the city. Plus I can walk further if I'm out for a recreational walk.

Strava (app that tracks exercise) has a monthly challenge to walk 50 km/month ... and I aim to do that. :)

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    m6byp1gwlruw.png
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,766 Member
    Options
    Machka ... my home has a walk score of zero!! This undoubtedly contributes to my weight issues. When I was growing up, I lived in a neighborhood where we walked to school and to a small grocery store or to the bus stop. I used to walk a couple of miles to work with no problem. I was skinny then.

Lisa ... "people soup" ... :D

Heather ... Happy Birthday to Johnnie!

Beth