Karen, my condolences to you and your family

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Zentangles-

I'm probably late to the party - I believe one or more of you have mentioned Zentangles - Machka maybe? Rita? I just talked to my next door neighbor who said she does these every morning. They are very calming, help relieve her stress. I remember doing something like this when I was in high school. Here are a few videos:

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Would not have been me. I don't know what zentangles are. First thing that leapt to my mind was my spray in conditioner to help me untangle my hair!

When it comes to colouring, I actually prefer colouring "real" things rather than just patterns. The patterns are OK sometimes, but I get bored with them fairly quickly.

Machka in Oz

• ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Karen-my heart goes out to you. He had such brilliant talent. I was admiring the series of pictures. His art will always remind you of his soul-so he has left a tremendous gift behind. Hoping you find a sense of peace.

Ginny in Ohio
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,943 Member
    Options
    Karen, condolences on the loss of your brother. I know how special he was to you.
  • Rosemarie2972
    Rosemarie2972 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Karen, My sympathy to you on the loss of your brother. He was quite a talented artist. I had just joined the group around the time you were working so diligently to have him leave his group home and live independently. Something that with your effort he was able to do.

Best,
    Rosemarie from Georgia
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    Options
    My brother died. :'(

Karen in Virginia

Oh Karen … I’m so sorry to hear this … praying for you as go through this difficult time.

Beth

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,066 Member
    Options
    (((Karen)))

Thank you for sharing him with us. :heart: Margaret
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,638 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,
    Allie – that insurance number doesn’t surprise me, but knowing the car payment and the insurance, is good knowledge. I don’t know in Connecticut but in CA our yearly registration (tags) is based on how much you spend, on my 2006 car the registration cost me almost $200. You may want to check on that number too.

I remember there was a conversation about folks who were personal trainers in their past, this question is to you all. I got a bone density test done, and to read the email the sky was falling, but when I looked at the actual results it is barely below normal for my age in 2 measurments and in the middle normal range on the 3rd. I sorta think these emails are computer generated. So my question – Is swimming laps good for bone health? I am struggling to find time for exercise in my life, and cut out a few things to add in swimming 64 laps (about 1 mile) 2 times a week. Which I like enough to keep it up even though that is a 6 hour commitment each week (drive, check in, swim, shower, drive) And honestly there are very few exercises I like – this is also free it is part of my new insurance. So I am wondering if it counts as both aerobic and bone health.
    Love ya all,
    Kim in N. California
  • Machka9
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    So my question – Is swimming laps good for bone health? I am struggling to find time for exercise in my life, and cut out a few things to add in swimming 64 laps (about 1 mile) 2 times a week. Which I like enough to keep it up even though that is a 6 hour commitment each week (drive, check in, swim, shower, drive) And honestly there are very few exercises I like – this is also free it is part of my new insurance. So I am wondering if it counts as both aerobic and bone health.
    Love ya all,
    Kim in N. California

Is swimming laps good for bone health? No, sorry.

The best exercises for your bones are weight bearing, and especially impact weight bearing exercises.

The best exercises for your bones
    September 12, 2023
    https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/the-best-exercises-for-your-bones

All exercises for bone strength have one or more of the following attributes:

Provide resistance. In these forms of exer­cise, you challenge your muscles by working against some type of resistance, such as dumbbells, elastic bands, or even your own body weight. Resistance exercises, including classic strength training, rely on muscle contractions that tug on bones to stimulate them to bulk up.

Weight-bearing. Weight-bearing exer­cise is any activity, such as running, walking, dancing, hiking, climbing stairs, or playing tennis, golf, or bas­ketball, in which you carry your body weight and work against gravity. This contrasts with non-weight-bearing activities such as swimming or cycling, where the water or bicycle supports your body weight. The force you exert to counteract gravity when you do weight-bearing activities is what stimulates bones to get stronger.

Provide impact. When you land a jump or pound the ground with each step as you run, you mul­tiply the weight-bearing effect of gravity. That's why higher-impact activities generally have a more pro­nounced effect on bone than lower-impact exercises.

Higher velocity. Impact can be increased even more as your speed increases. For example, jogging or fast-paced aerobics will do more to strengthen your bones than a leisurely stroll or slow calisthenics exercises.

Involve sudden changes of direction. Changing direction while you're moving also appears to benefit bones. When researchers reviewed bone strength in the hips of a variety of athletes, they found that those who played sports such as soccer and squash, which involve rapid turns and start-and-stop actions, had bone strength similar to those who did high-impact sports, like triple jumpers and high jumpers—and they all had greater bone density than long-distance runners.

Improve balance. Exercises that target balance may not be the best for building bone, but they will help keep you from falling, so they also serve a bone-protecting function.

Unfortunately, like swimming, cycling is not good for bones, and cyclists who focus solely on cycling have issues with their bone density. Knowing that, I added walking, running and weightlifting into my routine.

Machka in Oz

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    My brother died. :'(

Karen in Virginia
    I’m so sorry for your loss. What a shock this must be.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    rnbtekyfjig9.png

xufu5fw4ji0u.png
  • Machka9
    Options