WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,943 Member
    Options
    Poerava14 wrote: »
    All the photos are so sweet and pretty. Thanks for spreading the happiness. I'm coming off a very tough week of grieving. I have so many little things around my house that spark nostalgic memories of my recently departed BFF, Amy. She gifted me so many items over the years. We visited at least once a year so have many photos. And she was one of my best sounding boards always providing good supportive counsel, and making me laugh. This past weekend I had tickets to Boston where N and I were hoping to have a romantic little getaway in Maine. But I just couldn't. I spend this week cocooning and escaping into books. I spoke with Amy's husband, and we had a good cry together. Her celebration of life will be in the spring, and he has asked me to speak. Deep breaths! I hope to be in a better place emotionally by then.
    Rori
    Colorado Foothills where we are going from 65 degrees today, to snow tonight. 🌨🌨🌨

Hugs.

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,735 Member
    Options
    Rori- Im so sorry to hear about your bestie,it breaks my heart..Annie- remember a day at a time.. have you tried music with your parents? My FIL loved ol blue eyes maybe keep a radio or Alexa on with an oldies station..
  • Machka9
    Options
    Expecting a call from my sis this morning. Her son's (my nephew's) estranged wife took her own life on Saturday. They live in Colorado, my sis lives in Indiana and only sees them every few years, so it's been a phone call and "Zoom" relationship. Two children - a boy 14 and girl 8. My sis and her husband were unaware of the extent of the gal's problems - evidently mental illness, substance abuse - and have been getting more info the past couple days. My sis's other son is a therapist and has been lending a lot of support. A sad time for that side of the family.

Better close. More later.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

So sorry. :(

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka - I was so glad that was funny, because I find Christmas newsletters a lot like Christmas fruitcake. Some people like 'em, some don't! :smiley: I inflicted them on folks for the first few years we were married, but I'm sure lots of the family were glad when I stopped!

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

It struck me funny because I figured that's the most effort I would put into a letter these days!!

I used to inflict the Christmas Letter on people too, but about the time Facebook appeared on the scene, I realised I didn't need to write letters any longer. :) So I haven't done a Christmas letter in at least 15 years ... probably longer, more like 17 or 18 years. And 5 or 6 years ago, I stopped sending cards too.

I rarely got a reply from anyone, so I figure they were all relieved when I stopped. :smiley:

And I realised today that I couldn't tell you the addresses of most of my friends. I have a rough idea where they might live, but that's about it.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Tracey - My problem is that I do not have access to John's money, if he were incapacitated. It is a long-burning issue.
    I need to find a way to bring it up again without letting my anger show. I don't mind at all if he prefers to give the POA to his younger daughter. Just someone needs to have access to funds if he needs care. If he doesn't do it the decisions go to Court of Protection, which is a nightmare.

He has facial recognition on his laptop and a secret stash of passwords in code. :#
    I do know what investments he has, as I made him write them down, and we have both made wills. The problem would be if he had an accident, like Machka's husband, or dementia set in quickly, and he needed care. He is 78.

Oh well.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

If I were in your position, I would start putting as much money away in savings as I could so that if something happened, I could get groceries and pay some bills during the months (years?) of legal stuff before I might get access to more money.

M in Oz