Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,123 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Happy birthday, pip! 🎁🎂🎉 💥 🥳

Thanks! I’m officially old! On Medicare, 65!

Happy Birthday!!
  • Machka9
    Options
    wji013w81mqn.png
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    idqnfic3v59k.png
    PIP!

smiles Kim in N. California
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,526 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday Pip!👑💐🎂🍹💖
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,513 Member
    Options
    Today’s gratitude: hot tub. Might have to get in again, upper back muscles sore from a very intentional shoulder PT session Saturday morning.
    Heather thanks for the clutterbug and Minimal Mom podcast/video recommendations. What distinguishes English asparagus from that grown in other countries? Is it a separate variety or???
    Annie, well done on the walk. Those tight muscles will loosen up, keep on!
    Machka what are the sleepers you and Rowan moved from the garden?
    Barbie ouch! “people who ‘give helpful advice to people who are happier than they are’"
    I resemble that remark! :laugh:
    Kelly so glad to see you posting and hear your updates.
    Sue thanks for the tip about geraniums deterring mosquitoes. Mosquitoes and poison oak, whatever was the Creator thinking? SMH.
    Skipped dog group so step count low. Just didn’t want to leave the property.
    Time to snooze
    Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    Move more than yesterday, steps wii and pt, fuel better than yesterday, live NOW.
    Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2024: Strengthen: body, mind, heart-connections.
  • Machka9
    Options
    @auntiebk ... sleepers are railway ties. We bought 8 of them from the local hardware store and brought them to our new home for the shed.

mjs7c2no3q16.png

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited May 26
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Well, it's been a week since the doctor said my dad shouldn't go walking alone. I got up this morning and he is gone! At least he left me a note, right beside the one that says no walking alone. He left in the dark at 5 am without his hearing aids. His note says he has church at 8 am, so he isn't Missing until 9:30 or so. So I guess my role is just to wait and worry.

I thought he had accepted staying home. I took him walking in the woods just yesterday morning! I was resisting some of the devices because he seemed to not be wandering.

He just came home. He thinks the risk is okay because he didn't get lost today. I was unable to convince him that he did anything wrong. In fact he didn't want to put in his hearing aids and talk to me.

I left him home alone twice this week. Once for groceries and once for horseback riding. Now I guess he can't be trusted. Such a shame.

My sister sent me a door chime. It sounds off when the door is opened. I resisted because he goes outside in the yard a lot. But she was right. So that needs to be installed. I could have chased after him at five am. But without his hearing aids he wouldn't have listened to me.

So sad. So frustrating.

I need to take him to church next.

Happy birthday Pip!

May you all be happy, healthy, safe and free.

Annie in Delaware

One of the most difficult things about diseases, injuries, etc. that affect the brain is the lack of insight. The brain doesn't recognise that something might be wrong with the brain.

It's not his fault. It's the damage the dementia is inflicting on his brain.

But I know that it is very difficult to deal with.

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/help-dementia-care/what-difference-between-denial-and-lack-insight
    "What is lack of insight?
    Lack of insight is when a person with dementia is unable to recognise changes in their behaviour and emotions (that are caused by physical changes in their brain).
    Lack of insight is related to loss of activity in areas in the front of a person’s brain (known as the frontal lobes)."

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/22832-anosognosia
    "Anosognosia is a condition where you can’t recognize other health conditions or problems that you have. Experts commonly describe it as “denial of deficit” or “lack of insight.” It falls under the family of agnosias, all of which happen when your brain can’t recognize or process what your senses tell it."

"Anosognosia is incredibly common with certain mental health conditions. Experts estimate that it affects between 50% and 98% of people with schizophrenia, about 40% of people with bipolar disorder, and more than 80% of people with Alzheimer’s disease. It also happens to between 10% and 18% of people who have one-sided paralysis after a stroke."

"What are the symptoms of anosognosia?
    People with anosognosia usually show that they can't recognize a medical problem they have, either through action or what they say. In some cases, people with this condition will rationalize what’s happening to them, or they may try to cover up symptoms. They may recognize some symptoms but not others.

Anosognosia means a person can’t do one or more of the following:
    • Recognize that they have an illness or medical problem.
    • Recognize the signs and symptoms of the condition that they experience.
    • Connect their signs and symptoms to that condition.
    • Understand and agree that the condition is serious and needs treatment.

In some cases, a person with this condition may avoid the truth about their condition, and they might do so consciously or without even realizing it. Some might confabulate, which is when a person’s mind fills in gaps in their memory with false memories."

M in Oz
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    ;)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Today’s gratitude: hot tub. Might have to get in again, upper back muscles sore from a very intentional shoulder PT session Saturday morning.

Machka what are the sleepers you and Rowan moved from the garden?
    Barbie ouch! “people who ‘give helpful advice to people who are happier than they are’"
    I resemble that remark! :laugh:

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    Move more than yesterday, steps wii and pt, fuel better than yesterday, live NOW.
    Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2024: Strengthen: body, mind, heart-connections.

haha- dh is getting "advice" from one of the guys who shares a booth with one of dh's friends when we do the show. The thing is, the other guy sold $000 at this show and we sold $1800(the other guy , dh's friend sold $80( they are both artists. The guy keeps trying to tell dh what he should do.

Machka- I was wondering the same thing- what is a "sleeper"

Debbie
    Napa Valley,Ca
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,526 Member
    Options
    g2renew wrote: »
    First-Thank you all for the warm welcome! Second-Y'all are an energetic bunch:-) I might not keep up, but I will try! Wishing everyone a safe and blessed weekend.

We are all up in each others business!😂. Much is non good related, but life does play an important role in what we choose on our plates and in our bellies. Many of us its a 10 year friendship on here. 👍🏼💖🙏

Chime in when you can, answer who you wish to, and don't feel obligated to answer all. Some do, and we love them, but most of us kind of "check in" and that's great too. Me? I just post food p o RN , and grandkids, and talk about my sailors. Welcome from the grey island of Whidbey,bin WA state.👍🏼
    Rebecca
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,405 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies. Busy day so far so pretty much have just skimmed.

Allie - twin girls! Cute announcement for sure. Wishing all the best for mom and the little girls. Have they tossed around any names yet?

Kelly - the info in the spoiler is good medicine for you both! ;)<3 . How did Son in Law's interview turn out?

Annie - so glad your sis will be here soon, much to discuss and plan with your dad. Does it seem like his dementia is quickly worsening since your mom died? It appears that way to me from what you write. Sending plenty of (((HUGS))) as you sisters face some challenges with him.

More on Vitamin D
    I watched an interview yesterday with a physician who went into depth about Vitamin D - how it works, how we get it. A couple things stood out -

** as we age, our skin gets drier so our bodies are less adept at synthesizing Vit D from sun exposure since it's the oils in our skin that help with the process. Plus, we use sunscreen and just don't seem to get out in the sun as much. So we're more dependent on foods and supplements.

** Vit D is very important in keeping our immune system top notch, and illness depletes it. The physician speculated that the covid jabs and boosters also deplete Vitamin D in our system and actually makes us more vulnerable to getting covid and other illnesses. It's his theory but something I was wondering about.

** It takes a couple weeks for the Vit D levels to increase in our blood from supplements so taking it when we become ill, unless it's calcifediol which is a form that is rapidly absorbed, might be too late to do much good. A year or two ago, Amazon was selling calcifediol but I haven't seen it in a while. Hence the importance of keeping good levels at all times. I aim to keep mine well over 50, last tested it was in the 60's and my doc was happy with it.

I was going to cut back on Vitamin D3 supplements this summer but hearing this, I'm going to keep it up. I take 10,000 IU of D3 plus 100 mcg of K2 per day.

Welcome new gals! Please sign every post with your name and location, general is perfectly fine. Easier for us to keep each other straight. ;) We are here for ya! Rebecca was spot on - some of us have been in the group for years, but don't let that scare ya. We were all new once.

Reminder - Weekly Check-in tomorrow, please get info to me by tomorrow morning.

About the weekly check-in..... if anyone wants to be added, friend me if you haven't already on MFP here, and send me your info as above. It's for whatever YOU want - exercise, weight, calories, celebrations and/or areas you are "negotiating". No rules. :p I post it every Monday around noon.

I hit the gym around 6:30 this morning and the place was pretty empty. Perfect. This will be an easy habit to start. ;)

Lanette B)
    SW WA State