Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

SEPTEMBER 2024 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,022 Member
    @AlphaHowls I don't have a Garmin, but am guessing if the cheaper watches have options for indoor workouts (like treadmill running), that don't use GPS, and you can set up custom workout settings and call them whatever you want, surely Garmin has those features as well.
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,974 Member
    @Teresa502 wrote: »
    @AlphaHowls - I have a Garmin Forerunner 245 music (I rarely use the music feature). I have never tried to turn off the GPS feature but have found it to be mostly accurate. You can always ignore it. I have the Garmin Connect app downloaded on my phone and it gives me a summary of the running info (time, pace, cadence, heart rate, etc.). It also give you information on sleep, heart rate, daily steps, etc. One thing for you to consider is the battery life. I had to upgrade a few years back when I started marathon training because my basic Garmin would not last the entire run. With all your long runs, you want to make sure you have enough batter life to last.

That is the biggest deal with GPS, it can really pull a battery down. So my longer runs, up to 5 hours can tank a tracker. I have had them keel over while on a run. I have also run the battery down on my ipod and ear buds (when I had them)

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,312 Member
    Oh no @WarmJellyfish . I hope you feel better soon. At least you still have your sense of humor.

Nice run @Laurz9191 . Enjoy your taper.

Nice treadmill run this morning @Scott6255 . It is odd that your long run would be scheduled during the week.

Sorry your tendinitis flared back up @daria0919 . Definitely give up on the streak instead of hurting yourself if you need to. A couple of days off is better than a couple of months from injury.

You can do it @Mari33a .

@AlphaHowls The battery on the 745 lasts pretty good. I don't run anywhere close to your distances, but I haven't had any issues with my 10 mile runs. I'd say if it is fully charged, it isn't even half depleted after 10 miles. But, @Teresa502 is correct. You need to compare battery lives since you run such long distances. I always plug my in when I take a shower, so it stays charged every day.
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,291 Member
    Morning all
    Got in 6.24M at 09"54.

@Laurz9191 lol @ counting in both miles and Kms. You'll be a whizz in your 16 times tables in no time!

@quilteryoyo trail run with a group sounds fun
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,312 Member
    Big hugs to you @kgirlhart !

Great run @tarun_yadavA . We shall see about the trail. I think it will be fun, even if I wind up basically solo due to pace.
  • AmunahSki
    AmunahSki Posts: 175 Member
    Target: 40 miles/64.3k

1 Sept: 3.14mi/5.05k
    4 Sept: 4mi/6.43k
    6 Sept: 4.53mi/7.28k
    9 Sept: 4mi/6.43k
    11 Sept: 5.33mi/8.57k
    13 Sept: 4mi/6.43k
    15 Sept: 4.67mi/7.5k
    17 Sept: 4.05mi/6.5k

Total 33.72mi /54.25k

Sunday’s long run was in the late afternoon, and unusually I’d eaten lunch with my family (a chicken and salad wrap) about 3 hours before that: I felt like I was going to puke a couple of times… so I won’t be doing that again! @scott6255 I much prefer to run fasted, but I have recently seen a ZOE interview with Dr Stacy Sims which advises against it. [https://youtu.be/DU4V5OpLp3s]
    I’d welcome other views on this!

I moved around my rest days this week because for today’s run I dropped off my car in town (for its annual MOT) and ran home before starting work. I’m simply amazed that I can now contemplate ‘running’ as an actual form of transportation over a 4-5 mile distance - in previous years I would have just sat around and waited for the test (or taken two cars, before we got rid of car number 2).

@alphahowls Garmin user here, Fenix 6S Pro (and use the Connect app). It’s a good all-rounder, but a friend has a Forerunner 265 which provides much more ‘running dedicated’ data: I’m looking at buying this for my son-in-law for Christmas/birthday this year. I’ve had no issues with inconsistent GPS, perhaps look at all your activity settings and try GPS + GLONASS or GPS + GALILEO, or change the recording method between Smart or Every Second (Smart recording saves GPS points when there are changes in speed, direction, heart rate, or elevation; Every Second recording records a GPS point once per second), but yes you can also just turn it off!