ITS OFFICIAL IM GIVING UP!!!

Options

Replies

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I have been on this journey since January 2013 I have joined Planet Fitness I go there about 6 days a week for anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes a day I make sure i eat smaller portions I eat alot of chicken, fish and salads daily I recently joined a fit club where they do exercise classes and i have been doing that 3-4 days a week because I didnt know if my body was tried of the routines I was doing at the gym and still absolutely no results. I dont notice I change in my clothes or a change in the number on the scale. I drink 64 ounces of water a day which is good for me because all my life i never drank water, In the beggining I lost 14 lbs and in the last 4 months everytime i weigh in Im gaining that back, I know people say "maybe your gaining muscle" but is it possible to be gaining muscle for all these months and NO RESULTS im fed up, you would think that in 9 months I would have lost more than just 14 lbs sorry for venting out but im disgusted and discouraged.

Whine whine..it's taken me a year to lose 6 pounds.

But go ahead and quit, and you can come back in 6 months and whine about how fat you feel.
  • PlumDrop12
    Options
    Chances are, you have crept back up in the amount of calories you eat. I say- be honest with yourself about the part that you are playing in this.
  • teamepfitness
    teamepfitness Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What is your body fat percentage? What are you doing at the gym? Exactly what are you eating?

Have you had your thyroid checked??
  • privateisland
    privateisland Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey, don't give up. I hear you and can relate with you. I joined MFP in the beginning of this year and have only since then lost 20 lbs. I watch my calorie intake at 1200 cal./day and work out with weights 45 min./day for 3 days a week. I thought that it would go so much faster, but my journey is extremely slow! I too was disappointed and wanted faster results, but then I realized what the alternative was. If I quite this I will end up where I began and probably even worse - gain even more back. I realize this has to be my lifestyle for the rest of my life. I must persevere and continue what I am doing no matter how long or how slow it will be. I have come to look at this as what I will do for the rest of my life. And what the outcome will be, I don`t know. But, it definitely has to be for a lifetime. Because if I don`t do this I know I will go the other way. This way is still better than the other way. I need to always take this one day at a time and not concentrate on the numbers. Because I would get so discouraged then. I use to loose weight a lot faster, but now since I am in my 50`s it is so much harder. It took me a long time to find a lifestyle that I could live with. But, I knew that it had to involve exercise.
    A few years back I lost 120 lbs. I watched what I ate and walked about 2.5 miles 5 days a week. The walking did the most. But since then I developed bad knees and had surgery on both of them only to be told that I will need knee replacements. Since then I gained all my weight back because I have been unable to walk - something I loved doing. So, it has been a struggle for me to find an exercise that I would enjoy doing for the rest of my life. After some research I decided to get a Bowflex. I started off very slowly and have worked my way up with the weights. I don`t enjoy it as much as walking, but this will be my replacement. Like I said, it has been very slow in taking the weight off, and at times I get very impatient and discouraged, but I am treating this as my new life. No matter what, I have to do this for the rest of my life. And it is getting better. I have noticed my strength improving and my stamina. And just for that I am very glad. So, no matter how long or if even I do get any further, this has to be my life. It takes a long time to find something that is right for you, but it has to be a lifestyle. You also have to have that mind set. Do not give up - no matter how impossible or slow it may seem. It took years to put it on - it will take years to take it off. Do not think that after you have lost all the weight that you want you can go back to your old lifestyle. It does not work that way. That is why I say, find something that works for you and that you can life with. It took me over a few years to finally find what works for me. Just do not give up. You are not alone. The perseverance pays off - It always does. Just DO NOT GIVE UP.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    ok, if that's what you want, but hope to see you around some other time
  • Bjean798855
    Options
    I have a friend of mine that hit it hard at the gym. She had a trainer and was eating right. After 30 days the trainer was stumped. He said "You are doing everything right...Are you under a lot of stress?" Then she bursted into tears. If you are stressing out about anything in your life then you will not see results. You may want to try some yoga to relax your mind. I totally feel your pain, but don't give up.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I am in a bit of a similar boat I lost about 15 pounds pretty quickly and not much more than that. I am taller and I am actually looking and feeling better than I ever have. I am not too sure I want to lose too much more. You can't let a number get you down. Start by weighing less. I was weighing every damn day and getting so mad! Now I weigh once a month and feel tons better for it :)
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Don't be disappointed when you don't get results with the work you didn't do.

Your logging is haphazard at best. For instance, today you entered generic toast (2 slices) with butter and jam for 120 calories. I use a lower calorie bread, and it is still 70 calories/slice. My jam is 40 calories for 1 TBS, which isn't a whole lot of jam. I don't use butter. Even without butter, my two slices of toast with 1 TBS jam each come to 220 calories...quite different than your 120.

Get a food scale. Use it. Use MFP. Correctly. See results.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Shoot, if that's her real picture, she should give up.
  • triniechu
    Options
    Cry for help?

Do what you like.

I had a look at what food you eat and from the brief peek I noticed a lot of processed foods. Processed foods are pretty much garbage. Potato chips and doughnuts came from the devil. Personally I would rather eat healthy portions of real food instead of small portions of garbage.

Maybe you just aren't ready?

I wonder what you have to say about the ice cream-covered cinnamon rolls I'll be having later tonight.

Teeeheee! my cheat day is in 2 days and im looking forward to a Cinnabon and ice cream for dessert! OM NOM NOM NOM! :-D
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Try two more weeks useing all the advice just given. Weigh and measure. log it then eat it. You can do this!!!
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    when I took a look at your diary, most of the time you don't log your food, and the food you do log for the most part is food that's not the greatest and you aren't getting much good nutritional value from it, my first suggestion would be for you to stick to strictly logging exactly what you are eating and get good at that and then actually take a look at it, are you getting what your body needs from that or not, are you eating enough etc. But whatever you do, don't give up, that would be the worst decision ever!!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Shoot, if that's her real picture, she should give up.

was thinking that she looks great right!
  • kri5tle
    Options
    I wish there was a like button. So much great advise, I can't quote it all!

Your food diary is lacking. I agree with making sure that everything that goes into your body is measured and tracked. This is also to include how you prep your food (using oils, salt/pepper, etc. There are alot of gaps in how you are tracking right now.

Have you considered getting rid of your scale? If you excercise 5-6 days per week and track your calories, you should see results without hopping on that scale. I weigh myself only 2x per month as I went through a phase of about a month where I was not losing any weight, so I stopped looking at my scale. It is not about how much you weigh, it is how your clothes fit!
  • MYhealthyjourney70
    Options
    You won't find any success if you quit. Why not be happy about the progress you've made. It took me 2 years to lose 50 lbs. Yes it was frustrating but I didn't quit and I met my goal. I hate hearing people say they're quitting a healthy lifestyle. What a messed up thing to do.

i has also taken me 2 years to lose 50lbs. i have gone up and down. now i am also losing inches and thats just as good as losing pounds. i am still holding in there. this is a lifestyle change not just a fad diet. maybe you have some other issue happening as well. i saw a post mentioning your thyroid. when my mom's thyorid is off she can't lose until her meds get adjusted. have that checked out.... in the end the decision is yours but i would say don't quit and hang in there
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Look at this as an example. I was 'awarded' today with just over 600 kcal for some excersize. The MFP software, has added up wrong. The daily carb has become, 263g and the protein is a wooping 72g. To add more insults to the injury, the fat and sugar levels remain way below the guideline, mainly 70g and 90g respectively. To sum it up, the FMT software, is totally wrong.
    On joining FMT last Thursday, I was given a BMR of only 1300 kcal a day. I know this is not acceptable, and tested a few other online sites, to see if they'd give different results to the BMR question, and they did. It's not great, but it is more than MFP allowed me.
    The next step was to explore how old, heavy, tall etc I would have to be to get the same BMR that MFP had given me. Well, I don't think you'll believe me but, a 12 year old female with a height of 5'8" weighing 90 pounds, would be given a BMR of 1300. The same BMR, MFP had given me, when I joined!
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    If your diary is correct it looks like you are skipping meals and when you do eat it is pizza rolls and macaroni and cheese. You need to eat good food and you need to eat more of it. It looks like you aren't even logging your exercise. I have been at this for 18 months, lost 34 lbs and put 10 lbs back on, but there is no way I am going to give up. Its not about being skinny its about being healthy and your not going to get there eating the foods you are eating.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I have a friend of mine that hit it hard at the gym. She had a trainer and was eating right. After 30 days the trainer was stumped. He said "You are doing everything right...Are you under a lot of stress?" Then she bursted into tears. If you are stressing out about anything in your life then you will not see results. You may want to try some yoga to relax your mind. I totally feel your pain, but don't give up.

Not just stress, but I saw the OP had posted not long ago she had been diagnosed with thyroid issues. If you are not taking medication and getting regular blood results, that along will impact your weight loss (not to mention brittle/dry hair, nails, depression, constipation, etc...).

Here are my suggestions:

1. Get your tailend into the dr and get whatever meds you need for your thyroid and give yourself AT LEAST 1 year to get your thryoid under control. I've been at it for almost a year and my levels are finally stablizing. You're frustrated with your weight loss - i guarantee your body is frustrated you're not taking care of it!

2. Buy a food scale and use it. Be honest in your food journal.

3. Stop exercising 17 days a week! lol Seriously, space out your workouts, get off the cardio "war horse) & start lifting some weights.

4. Also, don't use the scale as your only point of reference. Take measurements to track progress that way.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Bu-Bye.
  • Paula5130
    Paula5130 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi, I hit a plateau at around 2 stone, and bobbed around for nearly 3 months. I got over it by completely changing up my exercise routine,and changing the way I ate. My exercise routine now involves a lot of cardio and weight training, made a huge difference, dropped a full trouser size in about 6 weeks, weight was steady at a pound a week but clothes were the biggest change. Initially I followed a slimming world plan, but changed to calorie counting, I allow myself a high day approx 2000 calories a week, and vary my daily calories from 1300 to 1500 depending on how hungry I feel. I added a protein shake/bar into the mix due to all the exercise And I definitely noticed a body change. Please don't give up, loosing weight is never easy, during my plateau I set myself a long term goal(holiday)' to keep me motivated. It was difficult but I felt healthier so there was a positive effect even if it wasn't visible At the time. Add me if you wish, take a week or two break with some control ( to control over eating)' and give it a go again in a few weeks xxx