"the Daniel fast"... and what it did for me...

Options

Replies

• zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Oh and I'm super glad I wasn't abstinent.
    I enjoyed my times quite fully if ya know what I mean. hahahaha
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    If everyone abstained from sex before marriage then the 20 million slaves used in the sex trade could be free. There wouldn't be rapings all over the world.

zDcF7.gif

Beat me to it, bro!
  • awlosing30
    awlosing30 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Also, OP, there are various religious MFP groups you may consider joining. I think this post may have been better suited to one of those groups.

Are you condemning her for posting about God and her choices on this forum? Are you discriminating based on religious beliefs? Why shouldn't she be allowed to share her story and point of view wherever she wants? Just because she's talking about God?

I'm condemning her? Holy hell! Exaggerate much? It's suggestion based on past posts I've seen of a religious nature get locked or/and nuked. Also, the CG leans more towards certain topics, such as religion, be posted in groups.

ETA: The suggestion was also given since this thread became a "Holy art thou, no sex before marriage, God God God" thread versus just one of success of her weight loss.

calm down joy.... I wasn't yelling. Just asking. Good to know.
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    “When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 17 But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, 18 so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
  • Malteaster
    Malteaster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I am not religious but I cannot see that just because a diet is based on the bible it makes it any more healthy .

I also don't see why having sex before marriage makes you any less likely to be a good person. Being compassionate and caring is not limited to Christians (or other faiths).
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    “When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 17 But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, 18 so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

So basically do it, but don't advertise/brag about it. That's pretty cool.

Sounds like something good that should be applied to all the fasts, but that's just my opinion.
  • MissStatement
    MissStatement Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Its likely that this thread won't survive but I'm going to put on my boots and wade in.

Just a small curious question - as someone who has read the bible a few times - for those that do the DanIel "Fast" (which, if I remember one where he ate vegetables but I could be wrong) why this fast versus the others?

a fast of 40 days and 40 nights?
    Esther's fast?

What about Mathews that states that fasting should be done in secret?

I'm just curious why this fast comes up more often than others. Is it a fad?

Where does it say in Matthew that fasting should be done in secret?

http://biblehub.com/matthew/6-18.htm
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    God, my head hurts now. Why do i read this crap?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    f everyone abstained from sex before marriage then the 20 million slaves used in the sex trade could be free. There wouldn't be rapings all over the world.

Please explain to me how this would work. Your logic eludes.
  • biscuitwelsh
    biscuitwelsh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Congrats-- just think how much you could have lost if you just ate your Bible instead. I'm sure it would have done wonders for your GI tract, spiritually speaking.
  • GryffindorWinz
    GryffindorWinz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Congratulations :):)
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I have done a modified version of this in the past.... amazing in more ways then one. God really used it to touch a certain situation He had me in prayer over. :) And it was difficult, but also very good for my body! Congrats to you on ALL the reasons you went into the fast :) Going to add you!!! ;)
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    ike_where_this_thread_is_going-vi.jpg

I feel the sudden urge to stuff my face with chocolate and run through the streets naked like the heathen I am.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Its likely that this thread won't survive but I'm going to put on my boots and wade in.

Just a small curious question - as someone who has read the bible a few times - for those that do the DanIel "Fast" (which, if I remember one where he ate vegetables but I could be wrong) why this fast versus the others?

a fast of 40 days and 40 nights?
    Esther's fast?

What about Mathews that states that fasting should be done in secret?

I'm just curious why this fast comes up more often than others. Is it a fad?

Where does it say in Matthew that fasting should be done in secret?

Seems pretty clear:

But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Wasnt Daniel thrown into a pit of lions?
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I did the Daniel fast once....

Daniel couldn't keep up....

but I tried...
  • cynthiah24
    Options
    In Biblical times, once you had sex with the person you were espoused to (engaged to) that was how you became married in God's eyes. There were no licenses, elaborate ceremonies or anything like today's traditions. Today it is the same. When you have sex with somebody you are spiritually marrying them.

Nowadays I do believe it wise for couples to make the commitment to abstain only because if things don't go well during an engagement at least you can leave the relationship without having had that "next level bond" so to speak.

Anyways, I applaud the Daniel Fast and I am going to try it. All technicalities aside, if it worked it worked!

Congrats on your weight loss!
  • TLwineguzzler
    TLwineguzzler Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Wasnt Daniel thrown into a pit of lions?

Should have ran "faster" :wink:
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    If everyone abstained from sex before marriage then the 20 million slaves used in the sex trade could be free. There wouldn't be rapings all over the world.

Wouldn't it be the other way round? If sex was available cheaply and plentifully and we didn't have this ridiculous stigma attached to it, then surely rates of rape would reduce.

Or am I missing something?
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!