Are u aware of BB hip thrusts work glutes more than squats?

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    YES! Thank you. I hate when you know the word, but it just won't come out.

Me too. Happens to me all the time.

One good thing that has come out of the thread for me...a reminder that I need to do them more often, and to refresh my reading on Contreras' stuff.
  • Lemongrab1
    Lemongrab1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    So, do you think he's doing hip thrusts?

sbnzwod_zpsc09a5ad4.gif
    I never wished I was a pair of jeans...until right now.
  • Lemongrab1
    Lemongrab1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    On a side note, am I the only one who doesn't have barbells in my gym? We only have dumbbells.
    Not sure I can thrust in the gym anyway without laughing at my own intense public perversion.

Is your gym one of those 24 hour gyms? I used to go to one of those, and they didn't have "free" barbells because there was no one there at night to make sure we didn't kill ourselves with them, so they couldn't get insurance if they had them. We did have one of those rack-things, where the barbell is on a track. Not sure what those are called at the moment.
    No, it's just a free gym. So I can't really complain :laugh: We have everything except barbells. Which makes me feel like a weirdo on MFP, because apparently without barbells you are NOTHING! NOTHING!

tumblr_m0gb29Pu9c1qbive8o1_400.gif
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I have worked out with dumbbells and bars. IMO bells can be harder as they are less stable. It's certainly easier to OHP or bench a 20kg olympic bar than it is to do the same weight in dumbbells. So you are probably working harder than you think! :wink:
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I have worked out with dumbbells and bars. IMO bells can be harder as they are less stable. It's certainly easier to OHP or bench a 20kg olympic bar than it is to do the same weight in dumbbells. So you are probably working harder than you think! :wink:

Ain't that the truth! My last upper-body workout included dumbbell bench presses. And you know what? *kitten* those!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Hip thrusts are not a "finisher" for squats. It is a hip hinge movement pattern, like a deadlift, and you are not going to reach your full glute potential without it. For what it's worth, I'm hip thrusting 255 lbs (116 kg) for 10 reps with a 10-second iso hold after each set. I also squat pretty heavy (220 lbs) for a woman my size, so I'm well aware of the benefits of heavy squats. But if you care at all about glute training and you're not doing hip thrusts, you should be.

Once upon a time, in a gym class, the instructor had us do bridges with dumbbells. We did them on the floor. Does it make a difference whether done on the floor or the bench?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Will BB hip thrusts help with my twerking?
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    video please.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    video please.

Mine or hers?
  • hookilau
    Options
    This thread has gotten very strange …

But I can't stay away. Gotta watch the drama unfold till the end.

Indeed. Would rather get back to the bridges/hip thrusts...are they the same, btw?
    Nevermind.
    tumblr_mpus599i161s1dbhwo1_500.gif
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    WOW, this thread! :laugh:

I hip thrust and glute bridge, but view those as accessory lifts. I continue to squat and DL.

I started hip thrusting and glute bridging as just bodyweight exercises, which I'm pretty sure is what Contreras recommends, and later added weight. I started with an empty barbell, as I did with every single exercise I do.

At this point, my bb glute bridges and hip thrusts are at just a slightly higher weight than my DL 1RM, but I do 10 reps/5 sets of the glute bridges/hip thrusts.

I think they're ALL great exercises for building strength and power, and improving the look of one's booty.

Like Sara said, OP's attitude really got in the way of what could have been a productive thread. That's a shame.

QFT...

as I stated earlier...I looked at these as a "new" lifter...I would not start with 70lbs at the OP said that's just silly...and that was the issue.
  • hookilau
    Options
    Why were you banned from bb.com for a month?

For "Calling Out A Raid" on a sub forum. Someone wrote something on a sub forum that was laughable so I went into the more popular forum and told folks to go in that particular forum which they did and started mocking her... I have been banned other times for fighting with others etc
    mobwives-ren-judgingeyes.gif
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I posted earlier. This thread went* where I expected.
    tumblr_mtsy5v3jXn1sj3oxho1_400.gif

Edit: *don't know how when came out; I meant went. :P
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Hip thrusts are not a "finisher" for squats. It is a hip hinge movement pattern, like a deadlift, and you are not going to reach your full glute potential without it. For what it's worth, I'm hip thrusting 255 lbs (116 kg) for 10 reps with a 10-second iso hold after each set. I also squat pretty heavy (220 lbs) for a woman my size, so I'm well aware of the benefits of heavy squats. But if you care at all about glute training and you're not doing hip thrusts, you should be.

Once upon a time, in a gym class, the instructor had us do bridges with dumbbells. We did them on the floor. Does it make a difference whether done on the floor or the bench?

I think they are easier to do with your shoulders on the floor. The higher your shoulders are elevated, the harder they become. It's because the weight has to travel a greater distance to lock out. The times I've done them, it's been my shoulders slightly elevated. On the floor was too easy and didn't seem like it was worth while. Shoulders on a bench felt like my hips had to travel to Ottawa to lock out.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options

I think they are easier to do with your shoulders on the floor. The higher your shoulders are elevated, the harder they become. It's because the weight has to travel a greater distance to lock out. The times I've done them, it's been my shoulders slightly elevated. On the floor was too easy and didn't seem like it was worth while. Shoulders on a bench felt like my hips had to travel to Ottawa to lock out.

Yes. I watched a video on You Tube last night (it might have been Contreras … who remembers from midnight? lol) and he explained that flat on the floor is good to start with because it's easiest. Get your form from that. Then start elevating shoulders. For the most advanced, elevate feel and shoulders. But don't but feet higher than shoulders unless you want to move the focus into the hamstrings. According to the video.

Edit: brain waking up and remember I can check my You Tube history. Yes, the video was Brett Contreras. :laugh:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    Well, things certainly got interesting after I left...
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options

Based on the evidence presented last night.........no :laugh:
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    What a train wreck!

... not the thread.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    The end?
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member