Are u aware of BB hip thrusts work glutes more than squats?

Options

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m8o8g4iZ7Z1rd2qw6o1_r1_250_zpsc9eeb83b.gif
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Hip thrusts are not a "finisher" for squats. It is a hip hinge movement pattern, like a deadlift, and you are not going to reach your full glute potential without it. For what it's worth, I'm hip thrusting 255 lbs (116 kg) for 10 reps with a 10-second iso hold after each set. I also squat pretty heavy (220 lbs) for a woman my size, so I'm well aware of the benefits of heavy squats. But if you care at all about glute training and you're not doing hip thrusts, you should be.

Once upon a time, in a gym class, the instructor had us do bridges with dumbbells. We did them on the floor. Does it make a difference whether done on the floor or the bench?

I think they are easier to do with your shoulders on the floor. The higher your shoulders are elevated, the harder they become. It's because the weight has to travel a greater distance to lock out. The times I've done them, it's been my shoulders slightly elevated. On the floor was too easy and didn't seem like it was worth while. Shoulders on a bench felt like my hips had to travel to Ottawa to lock out.

Yes. I watched a video on You Tube last night (it might have been Contreras … who remembers from midnight? lol) and he explained that flat on the floor is good to start with because it's easiest. Get your form from that. Then start elevating shoulders. For the most advanced, elevate feel and shoulders. But don't but feet higher than shoulders unless you want to move the focus into the hamstrings. According to the video.

Edit: brain waking up and remember I can check my You Tube history. Yes, the video was Brett Contreras. :laugh:

Watch using upper body momentum when doing the elevated ones, though, y'all. The strength is supposed to come from the glutes. It should be able to be done slowly, no extra momentum coming from the rest of the body.
  • ukulelist
    ukulelist Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    OK I realize this will probably get lost because it's after 13 pages of gifs and whatnot, but for the 1% of the audience who read this far:

Let's say you read the first page of this thread and watched some Contreras videos and were like Cool! I'm gonna go to the gym and try this sweet glute exercise! And then you get to the gym and realize that in his videos he rolls the 135-lb barbell up to his hips as easy as can be, but either (1) you want to start with a lighter weight like a sane person the first time you try this exercise and this lighter weight does not have big ol' wheels on the end of it, or (2) you do not have the slender legs of a wood elf, or (3) both. So you flail around in the most awkward possible manner trying to get the weight in a reasonable place without bruising your freaking knees and whatever too much.

Here is a freaking pro tip: http://youtu.be/kuEjyvfZuFk. I have not tried this but I will next time because the above is a true autobiographical story! Enjoy!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    OK I realize this will probably get lost because it's after 13 pages of gifs and whatnot, but for the 1% of the audience who read this far:

Let's say you read the first page of this thread and watched some Contreras videos and were like Cool! I'm gonna go to the gym and try this sweet glute exercise! And then you get to the gym and realize that in his videos he rolls the 135-lb barbell up to his hips as easy as can be, but either (1) you want to start with a lighter weight like a sane person the first time you try this exercise and this lighter weight does not have big ol' wheels on the end of it, or (2) you do not have the slender legs of a wood elf, or (3) both. So you flail around in the most awkward possible manner trying to get the weight in a reasonable place without bruising your freaking knees and whatever too much.

Here is a freaking pro tip: http://youtu.be/kuEjyvfZuFk. I have not tried this but I will next time because the above is a true autobiographical story! Enjoy!

Brilliant!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    oop
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Brilliant!

Whoa! That was awesome and I thought she had great form too!!! Thanks for posting!!!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I wish I had seen this an hour ago. /rubs poor abused ankles.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

I wish I had seen this an hour ago. /rubs poor abused ankles.

What a horrid way to park a mountain bike. Arrrgghhhh.
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    In for links.....and gifs
  • bokchoybaby
    bokchoybaby Posts: 62 Member
    Options

Nice. For anyone who has access to a rack, using it to set up hip thrusts is another way not to have to drag the bar over your legs. After reading about the set-up on T-Nation (http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/rack_hip_thrusts&cr=) I tried it last week and it was fairly easy. No more bar bruises!
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options

Nice. For anyone who has access to a rack, using it to set up hip thrusts is another way not to have to drag the bar over your legs. After reading about the set-up on T-Nation (http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/rack_hip_thrusts&cr=) I tried it last week and it was fairly easy. No more bar bruises!

This is kind off topic. Well completely off topic but came up as something that bugs the crap out of me when you linked a t-nation article. You can link t-nation wherever you want but if you ever dare link another similar website on theirs, you get a wrist slap from one of the mods.

That only happened in the last year of so as well as the shut down of pms so that no one could privately share about another site.

I figured no one would mind the off topic rant over here since the entire thread kind of *kitten* the bed many pages ago.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I've tried this before using a smith machine and a barbell (no rack) at home.

I find the exercise difficult to "feel" properly. Hurts aswell where you rest the barbell, if you load it up a bit.

To "feel" the glutes I think you need to do fire hydrants and other stuff like that. You need to get comfortable with feeling your glutes to properly do the exercise I think. At least I've failed in all my attempts so far.
  • ukulelist
    ukulelist Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Brilliant!

Whoa! That was awesome and I thought she had great form too!!! Thanks for posting!!!

Thanks ^_^ I'm glad it helped a few brave souls who read to the end of the thread! After posting I realized she's the co-author of a book with Contreras "Strong Curves" basically about butt exercises (which I then ordered! Hah), so in retrospect hopefully if anyone is going to have good form on the hip thrust it would be her.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Yes, I read Bret Contreras blog and Kellie Davis. He approaches everything from a diligently scientific manner. I have the Strong Curves book. It is excellent!

Hip Thrusts are by far my favorite exercise. They can be awkward to learn and when increasing weights, but then they are really not challenging to do and not rough on the body because they target the largest muscle in the body (the glutes) as well as all the supporting muscles to the glutes.. I have been able to start at a high weight and have been increasing rapidly. They are excellent and I have seen rapid progress. I also do deadlifts (I'd say those are my second favorite), squats and a whole lot more.

I can't comprehend why anyone would dismiss this info and not choose to expand their understanding and learning. Hip Thrusts are fantastic and that is well known by people that are well informed in the fitness field.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    Yes, I read Bret Contreras blog and Kellie Davis. He approaches everything from a diligently scientific manner. I have the Strong Curves book. It is excellent!

Hip Thrusts are by far my favorite exercise. They can be awkward to learn and when increasing weights, but then they are really not challenging to do and not rough on the body because they target the largest muscle in the body (the glutes) as well as all the supporting muscles to the glutes.. I have been able to start at a high weight and have been increasing rapidly. They are excellent and I have seen rapid progress. I also do deadlifts (I'd say those are my second favorite), squats and a whole lot more.

I can't comprehend why anyone would dismiss this info and not choose to expand their understanding and learning. Hip Thrusts are fantastic and that is well known by people that are well informed in the fitness field.

QFT!

I noticed a few people in here that have the Strong Curves book.....I have thought about buying it but as with anything, uncertain because I hadn't run across anyone that had read it. I'm guessing from what I have read that it's worth the money. Does it contain workouts as well as information?
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

QFT!

I noticed a few people in here that have the Strong Curves book.....I have thought about buying it but as with anything, uncertain because I hadn't run across anyone that had read it. I'm guessing from what I have read that it's worth the money. Does it contain workouts as well as information?

Yes, It is worth the money in my opinion. I love having info in a book format, that I can read anytime, anywhere, take to the gym, and flip through pages, highlight, see pics (then I can go online for further info and videos as needed).

It contains tons of info, with a lot of different workout programs and teaches you how to build your own program for life.

When I started weights I used The New Rules of Lifting for Life.

Strong Curves is now my favorite lifting book and it also contains a body weight program for traveling or days without access to weights.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Oh, I just read more of the thread, so want to add that when I say I started out heavy, I mean heavy for me. Which I'm not claiming is all that impressive, but I was surprised how much I could lift when I first started. But, I did work my way up over the course of a few days to test it out (starting at the 45 pound bar weight the first day). I also started HT when I had already been doing compound lifts for a while. And I do glute bridges and hip thrusts and single leg variations for years as a dancer and in yoga.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options

QFT!

Yes, It is worth the money in my opinion. I love having info in a book format, that I can read anytime, anywhere, take to the gym, and flip through pages, highlight, see pics (then I can go online for further info and videos as needed).

It contains tons of info, with a lot of different workout programs and teaches you how to build your own program for life.

When I started weights I used The New Rules of Lifting for Life.

Strong Curves is now my favorite lifting book and it also contains a body weight program for traveling or days without access to weights.

This is great info....I might just stop by Chapters today to see if I can buy it in-store. Thanks!
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    This is great info....I might just stop by Chapters today to see if I can buy it in-store. Thanks!

You're Welcome. I bought my book at Chapters.
  • Redheadllena
    Redheadllena Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    :noway: Holy crap. I just read this whole thread and... holy crap.

^^This^^

Glad you guys are getting it back on topic. Going to give these exercises a try with barbell/weights as I've only ever done them at body weight before. Anything to grow dat *kitten*! Not going to stop squatting/dead-lifting though :drinker: