Are u aware of BB hip thrusts work glutes more than squats?

Options

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    jstarz, you are frickin' hilarious. I am almost tempted to tell you that you won't do something just to see if you do it prove me wrong. :)

So you accuse me of not delivering but when I do deliver I am "hilarious"?

Answer the question though, DID I DELIVER?

You hadn't delivered when I posted that. And as I said above, I was satisfied with your 185lb video. Well done.

And yes, you are hilarious because of your need to prove yourself. Though, I'm not complaining, this thread has been a lot of fun. :)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Can we get back to the fact that the OP BB hip thrusts (allegedly) 195lb but seems to struggle with deadlifting 135lb. Seems a little *kitten* about face to me.

Also, the deadlift vid was from a few months ago.

I hip thrusted today at 200 lbs for 2 sets of 5 reps

How tall are you?

Barely 5ft and bulked up now to 98 lbs

Ahh. If you can BB thrust 200lbs, I'm assuming the small stature gives you a greater leverage advantage.

I'm still going to need a video to believe this.

What's so hard to believe about this? Just because you wrote that I went to the gym today and recorded myself JUST FOR YOU. Because you don't believe it. Do you feel special now? Seriously, what is so hard to believe about that? I have seen girls my size (around 5ft ish or maybe an inch or two taller) and around 100 lbs deadlifting 225 lbs.... What is so hard to believe about someone my size hip thrusting 200 lbs? It's not THAT heavy or preposterous that it would be "impossible"... actually very doable and any average person who trains regularly would be able to do it if they focused on it.

Oh and for you not believing me being able to hip thrust 200 lbs... I did it today again... 1 set at 135 lbs... which honestly feels light like air now after doing 200 lbs... and 2 sets at 200 lbs... 3rd/last set is the cleanest at 200 lbs.... 1 45 lb plate, 3 10 lbs plates and 1 2.5 lb plate on each side; I ain't frauding. And yes; I am 98 lbs. Eventually I will hit 225 lbs; it's not that far off...

I also made a video of the plates on the bar to prove that it was 200 lbs because you cannot see all the plates from the side; however the recorder would not let me tape normal and then switch to the front facing camera to record my sets... once I started using the regular camera for awhile the button to change over to the front facing one would fade away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEM5_edC8yE

:drinker: :flowerforyou: :heart: :love:
  • jstarz002
    Options
    jstarz, you are frickin' hilarious. I am almost tempted to tell you that you won't do something just to see if you do it prove me wrong. :)

You hadn't delivered when I posted that. And as I said above, I was satisfied with your 185lb video. Well done.

And yes, you are hilarious because of your need to prove yourself. Though, I'm not complaining, this thread has been a lot of fun. :)

Oh and btw here is the video of the plates on the bar......

I know its not conclusive because I don't thrust right after i tape due to the fact that i have to SWITCH to the front facing camera in order to tape MYSELF... so it is not possible for me to record the plates on the bar in normal mode and then back to front facing... the front facing button on my iphone simply disappears after i record in normal mode for awhile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-rr4GhCG6k&feature=share&list=UUQHuDtci_OuUixuCMOVK_6g
  • whierd
    Options

I know its not conclusive because I don't thrust right after i tape due to the fact that i have to SWITCH to the front facing camera in order to tape MYSELF... so it is not possible for me to record the plates on the bar in normal mode and then back to front facing... the front facing button on my iphone simply disappears after i record in normal mode for awhile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-rr4GhCG6k&feature=share&list=UUQHuDtci_OuUixuCMOVK_6g

You shouldn't swear so much, it isn't ladylike. :angry:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    There are a few wondering if you really are a woman....nothing to do with the lifting, just curious. I think people were wanting video of proof on that. Not a problem, right? If it comes down to proof, you are willing to take the challenge, right?
  • whierd
    Options
    There are a few wondering if you really are a woman....nothing to do with the lifting, just curious. I think people were wanting video of proof on that. Not a problem, right? If it comes down to proof, you are willing to take the challenge, right?

I second this.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

I second this.

videos without talking are always interesting . . .
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

lol
  • jstarz002
    Options

I ain't a lady.

And me being able to hip thrust 200 lbs has NOTHING to do with size btw. There's a guy that is 6ft and does hip thrust with 500 lbs.... so size has nothing to do with it...

I believe Bret Contreras is also over 6ft... and hip thrusts over 500 lbs...

Most strong guys who train their hip thrust regularly can thrust 450 and up....

Weight lifter Ben Rice does them with 600 lbs, forward to 2:45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcNbUqylAWs
  • whierd
    Options

I ain't a lady.

And me being able to hip thrust 200 lbs has NOTHING to do with size btw. There's a guy that is 6ft and does hip thrust with 500 lbs.... so size has nothing to do with it...

I believe Bret Contreras is also over 6ft... and hip thrusts over 500 lbs...

Most strong guys who train their hip thrust regularly can thrust 450 and up....

I do not disagree with that, but I do believe that height directly affects how much you can hip thrust. Similar to planks. (I'm not trying to marginalize your lift, which is very impressive, just a thought on it.)
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

I second this.

HEY I told everyone to do this like 5 pages ago! easiest nudies ever!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Can we get back to the fact that the OP BB hip thrusts (allegedly) 195lb but seems to struggle with deadlifting 135lb. Seems a little *kitten* about face to me.

How tall are you?

Ahh. If you can BB thrust 200lbs, I'm assuming the small stature gives you a greater leverage advantage.

What's so hard to believe about this? Just because you wrote that I went to the gym today and recorded myself JUST FOR YOU. Because you don't believe it. Do you feel special now? Seriously, what is so hard to believe about that? I have seen girls my size (around 5ft ish or maybe an inch or two taller) and around 100 lbs deadlifting 225 lbs.... What is so hard to believe about someone my size hip thrusting 200 lbs? It's not THAT heavy or preposterous that it would be "impossible"... actually very doable and any average person who trains regularly would be able to do it if they focused on it.

Oh and for you not believing me being able to hip thrust 200 lbs... I did it today again... 1 set at 135 lbs... which honestly feels light like air now after doing 200 lbs... and 2 sets at 200 lbs... 3rd/last set is the cleanest at 200 lbs.... 1 45 lb plate, 3 10 lbs plates and 1 2.5 lb plate on each side; I ain't frauding. And yes; I am 98 lbs. Eventually I will hit 225 lbs; it's not that far off...

I also made a video of the plates on the bar to prove that it was 200 lbs because you cannot see all the plates from the side; however the recorder would not let me tape normal and then switch to the front facing camera to record my sets... once I started using the regular camera for awhile the button to change over to the front facing one would fade away.

:laugh:

You win.

Well, technically, *I* win (a bet I made), but still, you win this challenge.

I tried these today and struggled to find enough cushioning to keep the barbell from crushing my pubic bone...

...so I'm impressed that you can handle that much weight there. Maybe it's just from practice.
  • jstarz002
    Options

How tall are you?

:laugh:

You win.

Well, technically, *I* win (a bet I made), but still, you win this challenge.

I tried these today and struggled to find enough cushioning to keep the barbell from crushing my pubic bone...

...so I'm impressed that you can handle that much weight there. Maybe it's just from practice.

How much weight did you use?

I do use a pad when hip thrusting; same pad folks when squatting.... btw; I DONT use a pad when I squat; that's wussy.

Yes; bb hip thrust will make that area sore when you first do them... you get used to it but it still gets sore when I move up in weight. When I first did 195 lbs I got bruises but now that area has toughen up and I can handle it easier. I am sure I will get bruised up/sore a bit when I move up a lot in weight but you get used to it....

If you toughen up and do them without the pad it will hurt a lot at first but eventually you get used to it too. Bret does 495 lbs with no padding http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTKzJ7IqYTQ

Getting stronger is about being uncomfortable for me. The first time I squatted with no pad it hurt for the first week and a half and after that my back toughened up and now it never hurts again.

There is going to be some discomfort when squatting/deadlifting/hip thrusting heavy.

That's why I love using no pad when squatting and no gloves. Makes me feel superior when I see weak guys having to use a pad in the smith machine while gloves to protect his soft hands.

But yes; I have gotten bruised up quite a bit and marks and such from hip thrusting but I'm not a wussy. It's only a small minimal price to pay for larger glutes and a very minimal price for aesthetics. I would endure much more than soreness and bruises for my dream glutes...

I felt nothing today when doing them btw; no soreness in that area at all. I got used to the bar at that weight. I only bruise up when it's my first time moving up in weight etc like the first time or two I did 135. Now it feels like air.
  • mayaocean
    mayaocean Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Would rep you IRL.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    "That's why I love using no pad when squatting and no gloves. Makes me feel superior when I see weak guys having to use a pad in the smith machine while gloves to protect his soft hands. "

Superior.....? Oh brother!
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options

That's why I love using no pad when squatting and no gloves. Makes me feel superior when I see weak guys having to use a pad in the smith machine while gloves to protect his soft hands.

Meh, i'll stick to wearing gloves. Having soft hands beats being a show off at the gym.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I've been doing squats for about 9 months. Added cable pull throughs a month ago to zone in on my glutes and boy oh boy can I feel it working.

I think that there are a number of good exercises for glutes, for the majority of people starting out or doing a standard weights routine, squats would cover it. TECHNIQUE is often the missing link.
  • jstarz002
    Options

Meh, i'll stick to wearing gloves. Having soft hands beats being a show off at the gym.

I don't care about having soft hands; I take pride in callused hands. It shows toughness in my opinion. Of course it's not necessary; I just don't like using gloves.

Also, the majority of people at the gym have no need for gloves. The only exercise that I could imagine you may need gloves for are heavy deadlifts.

Are guys serious when they need gloves to do curls with 30 lbs and tricep push downs on the cable machines? Gloves for that? Come on.

Also, there is no reason whatsoever why someone would need gloves to squat... that to me is just laughable? People can't hold the bar with their bare hands?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Oh lawdy. Not using a pad when you squat has nothing to do with being a 'wussy' or not and everything to do with form. /smh
  • jstarz002
    Options
    I've been doing squats for about 9 months. Added cable pull throughs a month ago to zone in on my glutes and boy oh boy can I feel it working.

I think that there are a number of good exercises for glutes, for the majority of people starting out or doing a standard weights routine, squats would cover it. TECHNIQUE is often the missing link.

Yes; I agree. My priority is not a "standard weight routine". My priority is DAT *kitten*. I want my *kitten* as BIG AS POSSIBLE. I train for AESTHETICS. DAT *kitten* is the #1 focus for my routine and everything I do.